CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

I don't know why TS is still used, Halo is the only game that runs that type of mode for competitive.

Also, anything that means I have to play less construct is a win in my books.

without any research I'm going to say that it's a hold over from halo ce. The only game to have a Slayer that was competitively worth it.

Is it possible to get Citadel as part of the map pool or was there a reason it was never used?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it possible to get Citadel as part of the map pool or was there a reason it was never used?

Because it's absolutely terrible

• Downvote (-1) 2

I think its not considered as very good competitive map. Quite the opposite i would say.

I don't know why TS is still used, Halo is the only game that runs that type of mode for competitive.

Also, anything that means I have to play less construct is a win in my books.

Arena shooters use Deathmatch modes almost exclusively for competitive play, while squad shooters are always objective based. It makes sense that Halo traditionally used both, but really Slayer hasn't been good since H3 and even H2 depending on the map. Personally I think it's boring as shit outside of CE 2v2s and super small Arena maps like Warlock or Amplified.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Arena shooters use Deathmatch modes almost exclusively for competitive play, while squad shooters are always objective based. It makes sense that Halo traditionally used both, but really Slayer hasn't been good since H3 and even H2 depending on the map. Personally I think it's boring as shit outside of CE 2v2s and super small Arena maps like Warlock or Amplified.

As an average viewer, with average gameplay who watches more Halo on stream than playing it, who enjoys watching MLG Team Slayer on Halo, especially on the last game, of the last series, what does that mean for me? 

Am I the type of player/viewer Halo is trying to attract?

As an average viewer, with average gameplay who watches more Halo on stream than playing it, who enjoys watching MLG Team Slayer on Halo, especially on the last game, of the last series, what does that mean for me?

Am I the type of player/viewer Halo is trying to attract?

Uuh, can't really answer that. I get the appeal of Slayer being the tie breaker because there have been some amazing comebacks and close games. It can be cool as a spectator when the game slows down and every single kill counts. Nothing wrong with liking Slayer, hell most people would agree with you (when voting was a thing in Reach/H4/MCC people voted for slayer all day) I just personally don't like it and it has been a questionable competitive gametype ever since powerups and weapons started spawning half as often from CE=>H2.

It's come to my attention that the vast majority of players somehow don't even realize H3's aiming is different. And you can't say anything to that group of people.

Don't like the aiming? Lead your shots.

BR spread? Lead your shots.

Bad hit registrations? Lead your shots.

Yeah, i don't know how people don't notice it. You cannot look diagonally with any kind of accuracy.  In a game with floaty jumping and every map having multiple levels, i just don't see how Halo 3's aiming system ever saw the light of day in the first place.

Anybody else think that Microsoft is in the market for its own TO?  Like if UGC does a few of these grassroots events and kills it, does Microsoft contemplate pulling an activision and buying them?

So with Halo 3 coming back around, and knowing everything we know now about certain mechanics, can we maybe get some new Forge maps that aren't fucking Onslaught and Amplified? 

The spawns on these maps are pure buttcheeks.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The maps themselves are pure buttcheeks. I don't know if it's the maps themselves, or how the forged aesthetic in Foundry just makes everything kind of blend together, but I've never been able to stand Onslaught and Amplified. I actually preferred the grey wasteland of Forge in Reach to H3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My connection to this site is not secure @saucer

It would be great to see some new forge maps breathe fresh air into H3. The only maps I can stand playing are Pit and Narrows. Most of all the removal of amplified and onslaught should be a priority.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We need this just as much as we need In-Game Leaderboards for ranked multiplayer as well as a way to host custom games on dedicated servers/custom game browser.

Those features are good - but not needed as much as an observer mode. The biggest concern now that there is no official league, is esports longevity. Longevity will simply live or die on the number of events and opportunities that are available for players to keep the game relevant. A leaderboard or upping the quality of custom game servers doesnt really do much as far as longevity is concerned (still good to have though) -- Halo online events are the backbone of Halo esports, right now with no API, and no observer mode, you can't create any live event content around the game without rigging up a 2008 LAN broadcast setup... I would classify that as a pretty substantial barrier of entry.

(usually content is also another key aspect for longevity, but the Halo content scene is embarrassingly lackluster, due to franchise popularity garnering consistently less & less interest + laziness from people who could make an impact, effectively wasting their following // example: how many Halo pros joined Optic Gaming and didnt make (1) youtube video for example? Halo for whatever reason is *the* SELF APPOINTED land of squandered opportunity).

• Upvote (+1) 9

Yeah, i don't know how people don't notice it. You cannot look diagonally with any kind of accuracy.  In a game with floaty jumping and every map having multiple levels, i just don't see how Halo 3's aiming system ever saw the light of day in the first place.

Anybody else think that Microsoft is in the market for its own TO?  Like if UGC does a few of these grassroots events and kills it, does Microsoft contemplate pulling an activision and buying them?

I suppose they could be, but that's a bit of a reach in my opinion because they're still on extraordinarily thin ice (in my humble opinion) for competitive gaming. They have one game that is really competitive that isn't "owned" by another TO (GoW is "owned" by MLG, although if M$ bought a TO then of course that would likely change), and currently, while the H3 situation is going on it looks extremely optimistic, Halo 5 was beyond lackluster despite the amount of money that propped that disgraceful excuse for a game/scene up. It was a brand new game that had major organizations leaving the scene completely after a year and a half, 2 years. People who complain about the game getting old and needing a new game etc., I don't agree with. Most of the major esports don't have new games, they just actually update the game frequently enough where it doesn't get stale and people actually like to play it. Anyway, not the point of the response, but I don't really see this being too likely of a scenario, unless Halo 3/Infinite truly explodes and the community/viewership is truly there. While I'm fired up we're going back to Classic-style Halo, I'm curious to see what it will be like in a full year, when Infinite should have some kind of beta or announcement at least about when it'll be out etc.

Ain't it the truth.

The maps themselves are pure buttcheeks. I don't know if it's the maps themselves, or how the forged aesthetic in Foundry just makes everything kind of blend together, but I've never been able to stand Onslaught and Amplified. I actually preferred the grey wasteland of Forge in Reach to H3.

Just really weak recreations of Midship in my opinion. They were great to add some diversity to the map pool of MLG, but like you said the Foundry aesthetic was ugly as sin, as was the gray hellhole of Reach. I wasn't too big of a fan of the art design of the Halo 3 maps. They just seemed like they had nothing "special" about them, whereas the Halo 2 maps, and even Halo 1 maps have different looks to them that were played competitively. If you look at something like Pit, Construct, Narrows, and even a lot of Guardian, they all are reminiscent of one another in an art-style. I'm not art-style expert on video games, so take that with a grain of salt, but I'd like the maps to look at least a bit differently?

EDIT: Super excited for the event AND that it has a crowdfunding. I love what they're doing and hopefully this is really successful and hammers home the point we've been trying to make for what feels like a decade now. Oh wait, it is about a decade...

• Upvote (+1) 2

So with Halo 3 coming back around, and knowing everything we know now about certain mechanics, can we maybe get some new Forge maps that aren't fucking Onslaught and Amplified? 

Going back to the beginnings of Forge is a task for the insane. You'd have better luck looking into the only two disc maps that have competitive merit; Citadel and Assembly.

Assembly could be our replacement for Amplified Slayer. Both maps are flatter two-base-two-tower designs with lots of structural cover, with the biggest difference being that the bases & top mid are more fortified in Assembly. This could be mitigated by having more contestable items on the fifty yard line versus the lone Mauler on Amplified. Rockets could still be where they were in default, with the Camo moving down to bottom mid, and finally having a Plasma Pistol at the open deck. You can delete the weird tube shield on top mid to make said location less cheeky.

Citadel could replace Onslaught Flag, along with creating a new method of playing the Flag gamemode. Heretic already has the frantic style of Flag, Pit has the flanking style, Narrows has the offensive style. Citadel is unique in Halo 3 because it's the only inverse symmetric map in the game that has potential to be a good mode for Hardcore. Dropping the two Overshields, Shotguns, and Brute Shots would be easy, and you could even try adding cover in the middle area to make it less of a no man's land.

Both of these maps should be tested with said settings. I personally could relearn how to make the static drop spawns again, but I would need people who are able to give their thoughts objectively, and test the modes repeatedly. Who would be interested enough to test these hypothetical maps & modes?

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Assembly and Citadel should be tested with said settings. I personally could relearn how to make the static drop spawns again, but I would need people who are able to give their thoughts objectively, and test the modes repeatedly. Who would be interested enough to test these hypothetical maps & modes?

As an open minded individual i'd like to test them out but as an avid casual matchmaking pub stomper I'd like to put my two cents in... this ain't it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think some quality sandbox forged maps (if those even exist) and PIT Koth should be added in. A little more variety would be nice. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Citadel is fine if you block the shotgun hallways in blue/red, I'm actually a huge fan of that map (played a ton of custom MLG on it)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1