Roy

Lunchbox

Snakebite

Royal 2

• Simms (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

26 minutes ago, Riddler said:

someone link me to the ce teams that have signed up

We weren't required to provide a roster for CE. So no rosters will technically be confirmed until the day of the tournament.

Looking at the Discord, it looks like roster lock was just for seeding. If I'm interpreting it correctly, more teams can technically show up and get a spot but if they had seeding points before, they won't be applied for the tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey y'all. I'm super excited for UGC this weekend and hope anyone who's undecided on who to root for decides to cheer on the #BrownWall (our team name is DeSiTic Gaming, 8th or 9th seed, depending on how you do the tiebreaker). I'm disappointed that there isn't an official OpTic Gaming team at the event. I can't wait for the event where we finally get to play them on main stage, be seen on stream and social media, and come back home to a cease and desist letter. Until then, the grind continues.

If you're going to be flying to St. Louis, I put together a Google Form + Spreadsheet to try and help those planning on taking an Uber from the airport to the venue/hotel, since it's about 45 minutes away and costly. I'm hoping that if enough people put in their details, everyone can find at least one person to split the cost with.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 3

Forgot to put this here cause i wasn't home!

tomorrow there's a new episode so don't forget to subscribe

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Aski said:

Forgot to put this here cause i wasn't home!

tomorrow there's a new episode so don't forget to subscribe

4:35: Nah, Shele is just really good. :lxthul:

• Toxic (+1) 1

Found out the real reason behind Frosty's departure from Halo. Looks like Lethul has always been :Toxic:

• Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 4

How do y’all feel about the grand finals being a Bo7 compared to the 1st series being a Bo5 then turning into a Bo11?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Noodle said:

The UGC Player Packet, which includes the event schedule, is out.

Schedule shows that they are planning for up to 64 teams. Looks like we are having a fair number of teams sign up (roster lock in ten minutes as I type) but it seems as if it's true that a bunch of people bought passes but didn't build teams, confirm travel plans, teamed with someone who already had a pass, etc.

I wish that the event schedule was more detailed (only mentions the start time of each Winners round, doesn't mention when each Losers round starts), but nice to have one out now. Hope some LB matches make it on stream, especially since there are THREE stations streamed with a FFA+CE station on top.

All times in CST below:

Reveal hidden contents

FRIDAY [1/11/2019]

10:00AM

Registration

12:00PM [Noon]

Warmups

2:00PM

Halo 3 [4v4 & FFA] START

5:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 WINNERS 64

8:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 WINNERS 32

12:00AM [Midnight]

Venue Close

SATURDAY [1/12/2019]

9:00AM

Doors Open

Halo 3 4v4 Continues

Halo 3 FFA Continues

Halo CE 2v2 START

1:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 WINNERS 16

4:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 WINNERS QUARTERFINALS

8:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 WINNERS SEMIFINALS

12:00AM

Venue Close

SUNDAY [1/13/2019]

9:00AM

Doors Open

Halo 3 FFA Finals

12:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 LOSERS SEMIFINALS

2:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 WINNERS FINALS

4:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 LOSERS FINALS

6:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 Grand Finals

9:00PM

Event Ends

They're planning for way more than 64. As of Roster Lock yesterday, 81 teams were confirmed. These are teams hoping to use their qualifier points for seeding. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kYYR4piLzpYrI5-RCyW72nOge0mEUprnIYQMxqo51K4/edit#gid=1138524219

They sold 138 team passes, and, though there will be extras and teams that back out, I think it's fair to expect 100 teams at the door.

izaR4bU.png

51 minutes ago, KiLLaCaL said:

How do y’all feel about the grand finals being a Bo7 compared to the 1st series being a Bo5 then turning into a Bo11?

You mean like every other game? continuation series were stupid in mlg times just down to speed up the tournaments. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KiLLaCaL said:

I liked bo11 more. If it's a double elim bracket I can't stand it when a team that gets to the finals without a series loss has no advantage over the team from the LB.

So have they confirmed how many people have paid for passes to the CE tournament yet? I know you can register up to the last day but still. 

1 hour ago, TheFloyd said:

I liked bo11 more. If it's a double elim bracket I can't stand it when a team that gets to the finals without a series loss has no advantage over the team from the LB.

Other than the team from WB has to lost twice compared to the once by the team from the LB 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFloyd said:

Except if it's double elim, the advantage is that the LB team has to beat them twice while the WB team only has to win 1 series. 

7 hours ago, KiLLaCaL said:

I very much dislike this. Whether or not extended series is the best tournament format, I think we should at least run it for now just because the competitive settings we play are entirely set up for extended series rather than for multiple Bo7s. 

Currently, we have five slayers, four CTFs (two 5Flaf and two 3flag maps), one hill, and one ball. This is structured so that each Bo5 may be made up of one 3flag, one 5flag, one hill/ball, and two slayers, with slayer being the only repeat (if we count 3flag separately from 5flag) since it gets used as the game five tie breaker. When the series gets extended to a Bo11 we have the opportunity to just alternate between the remaining objective gametypes that weren't used in the Bo5 with the remaining slayers that weren't used.

There are 11 gametypes to fit the 11 games of an extended series. Each game would be played and one gametype would not have any more weight than another but when you play multiple Bo7s in grand finals some maps have to get repeated and hold more weight than others; when you only have 11 gametypes you have to repeat three across 14 games scheduled. Do the current settings have three specific gametypes that the community would agree should hold more weight than the other eight? If so, I'd say you have what you need to proceed with an argument in favor of bracket resets over extended series. However, I would argue that we as a community wouldn't come to a consensus of which three should be played more frequently.

If we don't have an agreed upon set of three gametypes that we think should be the ones repeated in a grand finals bracket reset then we end up arbitrarily giving more weight to some gametypes over others and this may benefit one team over the other; a Bo11 extended series does give one team the advantage over the other since each gametype gets scheduled exactly once. Now, one might argue that the tournament scheduling that determines which of the gametypes get played in first three games and second two games of a Bo5 series is itself an arbitrary process that could benefit one team over another (if a team is the best in the world at eight of the gametypes but specifically bad at the first three scheduled they could lose to a team they would beat if any single other gametype was scheduled was scheduled as one of the first three instead), but the double elimination format and mixing gametypes up across different rounds provides a check for this to help prevent a team from being eliminated by this chance and allowing any team that does to extend their series in the grand finals with the rest of the gametypes not holding any more or less weight than one another.

Let's look at the gametypes scheduled for the grand finals of UGC:

Spoiler

Round 8 (Grandfinals)

M1: The Pit 3 Flag

M2: Narrows Slayer

M3: Construct KOTH

M4: Onslaught 5 Flag

M5: Heretic Slayer

M6: Narrows 3 Flag

M7: The Pit Slayer

Round 9 (If necessary)

M1: Narrows 3 Flag

M2: Amplified Slayer

M3: Guardian Oddball

M4: Heretic 5 Flag

M5: The Pit Slayer

M6: Onslaught 5 Flag

M7: Narrows Slayer

Notice that Construct slayer isn't even scheduled at all and four gametypes get repeated: Narrows Slayer, Onslaught 5flag, Narrows 3Flag, The Pit Slayer. A team that's good at Narrows has the advantage in this grand finals since it's scheduled four times, twice per series. Should Narrows have more weight than the other maps? Should Onslaught 5flag be played more than Heretic 5flag? Are Narrows Slayer and Pit Slayer so much better than Construct Slayer that they should be each be scheduled twice in grand finals and Construct Slayer not at all? If we can come to a community consensus to answer these questions (and effectively choose which gametypes should carry the most weight) I think there's an argument to be made for Bo7s with bracket resets. If we change our map and gametype pool we can re-assess how the tournament should be formatted. But I think that until we do, the tournament format that puts an even emphasis across all the gametypes should be used.

In spite of this post being a little wordy, I feel like I still haven't put as much time into formalizing my thoughts as I would like, so I'm sorry if in oversight I haven't been clear in my arguments or am unjustly giving more credence to certain criteria than what they are due. For a while I've been thinking about writing an essay arguing for why extended series is good for Halo tournaments (but still don't know if I'll  find the time to do so), but the point of this post wasn't to argue in favor of extended series in general but rather for why it's best under the current map/gametype pool. I know I caught myself arguing in the general rather than under the circumstances a couple of times and hope that the edits I've made to frame my words within the context of the situation have had some success.

• Upvote (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Joseph said:

Shits pretty hype doe. Hopefully they get this small misunderstanding sorted out.

• Fire (+1) 1

It can’t be just me... Literally anytime Che tweets, the only way my brain responds is by trying to figure out if I can logically respond with “Congrats to whoever (insert verb here) ________________” For example, in response to this tweet: “Congrats to whoever is working wherever.” 

I guess I’m just :Toxic:to the core. 

• Toxic (+1) 3