CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Legit and goofy are candidates that play ce but they’re worse than me and im like 4 tiers off horseman level. And goofy was also the one saying “give every pro 2 months to grind ce and they would be at the top” and while he never grinded ce for 2 months straight, its been 5 years, definitely >10hours x 60 days  and hes still worse than me who started 5 years ago. 

I believe you're thinking Ryanoob, not Goofy.

I'll argue a little in Ryanoob's defense, he's not playing with the same determination he would if there was a lot of money on the line (I guess nobody is though, it's not like Legend is practicing knowing there's 100k on the line). Also while he's definitely not a top player, I remember a couple really good players were talking over the BL7 stream and saying they were surprised how good he got considering how little he has played.

Anyway, in saying all of this he still got first rounded at Beach LAN so you're right, and I would expect almost all of the top players in the HCS Grassroots tournaments would have a similar fate.

26 minutes ago, Silos said:

I believe you're thinking Ryanoob, not Goofy.

I'll argue a little in Ryanoob's defense, he's not playing with the same determination he would if there was a lot of money on the line (I guess nobody is though, it's not like Legend is practicing knowing there's 100k on the line). Also while he's definitely not a top player, I remember a couple really good players were talking over the BL7 stream and saying they were surprised how good he got considering how little he has played.

Anyway, in saying all of this he still got first rounded at Beach LAN so you're right, and I would expect almost all of the top players in the HCS Grassroots tournaments would have a similar fate.

My bad. See. When i met ryanoob he had a goofy hairstyle. And thats what i remember. They were also teammates. I do know hes ryanoob but i just typed goofy since goofy was fresh in my mind becauses he makes waves rn. 

Its a fair point, hes not as motivated. But hes also playing with the 2 beach lan champions every time he lans, and hes playing with them as teammates or enemies. If 100k tournaments came out 5 years ago, hes not getting the opportunity. Or if it was right now, every h3/h5 pro wouldnt be grinding in a lobby with patch or legend and they wouldt be teaming with em  

Also legit is actually really good at ce. Not trying to shade him

• Upvote (+1) 2

Had a good time playing in this today, thanks to the GTHalo guys for putting it on!  

• Upvote (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

Had a good time playing in this today, thanks to the GTHalo guys for putting it on!  

I was wondering if that was you doing commentary, you were great!

10 minutes ago, Silos said:

I was wondering if that was you doing commentary, you were great!

Thanks!  I appreciate it :)

• Like (+1) 1

I haven’t been following the Halo scene since the H5 finale. Is there anyplace I can find the rosters for STL? The front page in this thread only said coming soon.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Thanks!  I appreciate it :)

You did really well! Do you have a lot of practice?

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

You did really well! Do you have a lot of practice?

Thanks :)  I used to (and occasionally still do) cast Grifball matches for GrifballHub (now PlayGrifball).  Would love to cast more stuff but without a spectator mode in MCC it is kind of a nightmare to do independently.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Thanks :)  I used to (and occasionally still do) cast Grifball matches for GrifballHub (now PlayGrifball).  Would love to cast more stuff but without a spectator mode in MCC it is kind of a nightmare to do independently.  

I hear you!

On 1/5/2019 at 2:20 PM, valaea said:

yeah so it wouldn't be 50-0, is my point.  I've played H1 on LAN and on MCC, they're different but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be "getting 0 kills" different. 

in general I just love the idea that a few dozen elitist dip-chewing bros in their thirties who play H1 against each other constantly would necessarily "50-0 or 50-5" "literally every H3/H5 pro," as if these aren't insanely talented players who could pick up high-level H1 strategy in, like, a week.  if there were $100k H1 tournaments I absolutely guarantee that the horsemen would end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack of high-level pros.  it's not hard to be the best when ~100 people are playing the game seriously

Might be one of the most absurd posts I’ve seen on here. No one....I don’t care who you are...is mastering h1 in a week to the point of dominating the best players in the game..guys who have spent 10+ years playing it. That shit is borderline disrespectful to those guys and the competitiveness of h1.

Its ok to dislike a game or how much people revere it and it’s competiveness. But don’t be a fuck boy. Being naive about a game because you don’t understand it while making false claims is idiotic. Don’t start spewing nonsense because your favorite players of today would get body bagged to the point of wanting mercy rules.  It’s ok to appreciate each halo game and those who have mastered those games. Halo 1 is completely different from its predecessors. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you try to gain more knowledge about h1 to really appreciate it and to understand why players have said what they said about the game, it’s curent players and how they would fare against the halo professionals of today.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Limpo said:

I haven’t been following the Halo scene since the H5 finale. Is there anyplace I can find the rosters for STL? The front page in this thread only said coming soon.

The rosters lock Monday at 7et, but if you go to any of the qualifier pages on the UGC site and look at the "participants" page and click on team names you can see who was playing with who. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

One day I will play a full series of CE MCC without getting pissed off on how shit the registration is. Today was not that day. It's not worth the effort to try to play seriously without a near perfect host. God I wish I could get the equipment and start my own CE LAN group.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OG Nick said:

One day I will play a full series of CE MCC without getting pissed off on how shit the registration is. Today was not that day. It's not worth the effort to try to play seriously without a near perfect host. God I wish I could get the equipment and start my own CE LAN group.

Yeah, when I was beaming on Hang 'em right after never hitting anything on Prisoner I felt things probably weren't going well. Good games anyway I guess? I really hope they can improve customs.

• Fire (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Silos said:

The feels.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

On 1/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, valaea said:

yeah so it wouldn't be 50-0, is my point.  I've played H1 on LAN and on MCC, they're different but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be "getting 0 kills" different. 

in general I just love the idea that a few dozen elitist dip-chewing bros in their thirties who play H1 against each other constantly would necessarily "50-0 or 50-5" "literally every H3/H5 pro," as if these aren't insanely talented players who could pick up high-level H1 strategy in, like, a week.  if there were $100k H1 tournaments I absolutely guarantee that the horsemen would end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack of high-level pros.  it's not hard to be the best when ~100 people are playing the game seriously

This is the worst post in the history of this forum. You clearly have no understanding of halo 1 and that is incredibly disrespectful to the guys that have been playing that game for 15+ years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, valaea said:

snip

The assertion that "nobody born after 1990 can be good at H1" is baseless, but the assertion that "the top H5 pros can compete just as easily with top H1 guys if they practice" is also baseless. It's a proven fact that not everyone's skill translates to each Halo game, which even in teamshot-dominated Halo all have slightly differentiated meta playstyles; players and whole teams routinely fell off while practicing just as hard as new games were introduced. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The UGC Player Packet, which includes the event schedule, is out.

Schedule shows that they are planning for up to 64 teams. Looks like we are having a fair number of teams sign up (roster lock in ten minutes as I type) but it seems as if it's true that a bunch of people bought passes but didn't build teams, confirm travel plans, teamed with someone who already had a pass, etc.

I wish that the event schedule was more detailed (only mentions the start time of each Winners round, doesn't mention when each Losers round starts), but nice to have one out now. Hope some LB matches make it on stream, especially since there are THREE stations streamed with a FFA+CE station on top.

All times in CST below:

Spoiler

FRIDAY [1/11/2019]

10:00AM

Registration

12:00PM [Noon]

Warmups

2:00PM

Halo 3 [4v4 & FFA] START

5:00PM

Halo 3 4v4 WINNERS 64

8:00PM