Jump to content

FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Krone said:

I would kill for an east coast event. Seems like most open events (CoD, Halo) these days are central and west coast. 

Gimme Columbus.

Gamer4giving is close enough to columbus. Literally the last halo event was dh atl... on the east coast which had halo 5 and 3. And ce is built around the east coast.

 

???

  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Gamer4giving is close enough to columbus. Literally the last halo event was dh atl... on the east coast which had halo 5 and 3. And ce is built around the east coast.

 

???

Okay, northeastern and isn't G4G 2v2. 

Atlanta is a 16 hour drive from northern NY compared to a 9 hour drive to G4G.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

clap just made a tweet about why northeast events aren't a good idea on anything but the best budget in the industry

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Yooo Dallas let's goooo. Who's gaming?

I stay 30 minutes from the event. I’ll 100% be there. 😅😈

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, KiLLaCaL said:

I stay 30 minutes from the event. I’ll 100% be there. 😅😈

I got you beat, 20 minutes away. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

clap just made a tweet about why northeast events aren't a good idea on anything but the best budget in the industry

I was reading that - just seems like the laws making everything difficult are unavoidable which is unfortunate 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, OG Nick said:

I got you beat, 20 minutes away. 

I live in Austin but you bet I’ll be making the drive up to Dallas so expect to see me at both events!

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Tashi said:

Glad you're as hyped as we are. To clarify that section - the mention of other Halo titles is in the context of show matches at the HCS Invitational.

That sounds like a great idea, but I'll be pretty let down if it just ends up being these same H3 pros attempting to play CE or H2.  Not saying it wouldn't be very entertaining, however there are groups of players and teams out there (specifically for Halo 2) that would honestly 11-0 pretty much all of these top UGC teams right now.  The only players I could see even standing a chance against the Project Cartographer squads are guys who actually competed and placed in '07 (Roy, Lunchbox, Pistola, *Snipedown, Neighbor, etc)

On the flip side I couldn't even fathom trying to make these H3/H5 pros play CE 2v2.  Sure the games would be close if they are just playing eachother in exhibition matches because no one would know what they're doing.  But if you put literally any of these players against a couple of Horsemen or Nippers, it's going to be 50 - 0 or 50 - 5 every single game.  I guess 4v4 would be more manageable.

An invitational is a great idea, but you run the risk of robbing viewers the chance to see actual high level gameplay of CE/H2 if the goal is to take kids who mainly play H3 or later Halo titles out of their element.

  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, valaea said:

 

 

lmao yeah, except for the time that Roybox played in an MCC H1 tournament and placed 3rd, getting 30+ kills against Patch/etc.  I know TB folks love their H1 elitism but learning random spawns / nade spots / etc. in H1 isn't actually rocket science

Ah yes Roybox two of the best players to play the game ever, who have also played a good amount of CE in their time had 'close' games on a busted version of H1 that nerfs hosts pistol into the ground. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Ah yes Roybox two of the best players to play the game ever, who have also played a good amount of CE in their time had 'close' games on a busted version of H1 that nerfs hosts pistol into the ground. 

 

yeah so it wouldn't be 50-0, is my point.  I've played H1 on LAN and on MCC, they're different but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be "getting 0 kills" different. 

in general I just love the idea that a few dozen elitist dip-chewing bros in their thirties who play H1 against each other constantly would necessarily "50-0 or 50-5" "literally every H3/H5 pro," as if these aren't insanely talented players who could pick up high-level H1 strategy in, like, a week.  if there were $100k H1 tournaments I absolutely guarantee that the horsemen would end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack of high-level pros.  it's not hard to be the best when ~100 people are playing the game seriously

 

  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, valaea said:

 if there were $100k H1 tournaments I absolutely guarantee that the horsemen would end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack of high-level pros.

legendpimps placed 2nd at one of the most difficult events in mlg history.. these guys aren't just talented at one halo but could easily be top contenders in them all. they just prefer the best one. 

  • Upvote (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, valaea said:

 

 

lmao yeah, except for the time that Roybox played in an MCC H1 tournament and placed 3rd, getting 30+ kills against Patch/etc.  I know TB folks love their H1 elitism but learning random spawns / nade spots / etc. in H1 isn't actually rocket science

Was this on LAN?  Was this this on splitscreen NHE?  If this was on something TB hosted on MCC then that's a pretty laughable judgement to make.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd be hard pressed to bet against RoyBox in any series of classic Halo.  Those two are top 7 Halo GOATs in my book.  But if you truly think that simply learning "random spawns / nade spots" is what separates good H1 players from bots...then you really haven't been paying attention.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

legendpimps placed 2nd at one of the most difficult events in mlg history.. these guys aren't just talented at one halo but could easily be top contenders in them all. they just prefer the best one. 

So are we just gonna ignore age orrrrrrrrrrrr

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

So are we just gonna ignore age orrrrrrrrrrrr

there are a lot more factors to talk about if a sudden $100k H1 tournament popped up

 

in other news.. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

legendpimps placed 2nd at one of the most difficult events in mlg history.. these guys aren't just talented at one halo but could easily be top contenders in them all. they just prefer the best one. 

Such an underrated event.  One of the very few MLG tournaments that actually made every team play in a properly seeded open bracket like how the FGC does it.  I always thought the idea that AMs almost never getting the chance to play pro teams because they didn't get byes to the "championship bracket" was archaic and really hurt our scene.  Yes it doesn't make sense to have Final Boss play the 256th ranked team in round 1 of a tournament, but the old MLG format really made it impossible for amateurs to get LAN experience against top 8 caliber teams.  Especially considering at that time there were no more 1v1, 2v2, or FFA brackets being ran.

I remember specifically there was a point in 2009 when XiT Woundz didn't win a single series for two consecutive tournaments but still kept their pro seed because of prior accumulated points.  Even though it was painfully obvious those players were washed and didn't deserved to be ranked 14th and skip open bracket play.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, valaea said:

 

yeah so it wouldn't be 50-0, is my point.  I've played H1 on LAN and on MCC, they're different but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be "getting 0 kills" different. 

in general I just love the idea that a few dozen elitist dip-chewing bros in their thirties who play H1 against each other constantly would necessarily "50-0 or 50-5" "literally every H3/H5 pro," as if these aren't insanely talented players who could pick up high-level H1 strategy in, like, a week.  if there were $100k H1 tournaments I absolutely guarantee that the horsemen would end up being somewhere in the middle of the pack of high-level pros.  it's not hard to be the best when ~100 people are playing the game seriously

 

While 50-0/5 is ******** unless its derelict, the horsemen wont be dethroned. Ogre2 was/is the goat in those games and is a horseman of halo ce. And there were plenty of h2 and h3 pros who played ce and werent anywhere near the top. Ce has way more outthinking ur opponent than h2+ do where its just out-execute ur opponent. Ur shooting skills can translate but thats not end all. You can have the best shot in ce and get destroyed. Im certain months is enough not to get destroyed, but not to be the best lol. Its like saying the top csgo player would be the best quake player or top quake players would be the best csgo players. Different skillsets. If there were 100k tournaments for h1 for the next 3 years, id bet there would be more non h3/h5 pros dethroning the horsemen than h3/h5 pros.  

 

Legit and ryanoob* are candidates that play ce but they’re worse than me and im like 4 tiers off horseman level. And ryanoob* was also the one saying “give every pro 2 months to grind ce and they would be at the top” and while he never grinded ce for 2 months straight, its been 5 years, definitely >10hours x 60 days  and hes still worse than me who started 5 years ago. 

 

 

Also mcc is vastly different than og. Shooting is easier, rockets are worse, map awareness is simple because of sounds. On mcc* you hear where shots come from, you hear where people spawn, you hear if someone is behind you, you hear where people are coming from. You do not have any of that shit on OG except maybe hearing shot locations if both you and ur teammate are in the same place which is the least benefitial since people dont shoot except when they can see you and you should see them. Sniper is easy mode so breaking control is a lot easier. Same for the pistol. The pistol on mcc compared to og is like the difference of having host on h3 vs offhost. And ofc rockets are weaker so cant push your advantage as much. A 6-0 might just be a 3-0 with rocks in the same situation. Or the weaker rocks cause you to lose the rocks. Mcc plays the game for you almost. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.