CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Question for you folks:

Now that MCC has had a bit of a revival and classic Halo is making a bit of a comeback, I was thinking of running a "classic weekend" online event.  Friday would be CE (not sure if 2v2 slayer or 4v4 variant, what do you guys think?),  Saturday would be H2C 4v4, and Sunday would be H3 4v4.  BO3 matches to a point, BO5 after that and BO7 for grand finals. 

What would be the best way to go about that in terms of putting it out there for signups and what not?  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Question for you folks:

Now that MCC has had a bit of a revival and classic Halo is making a bit of a comeback, I was thinking of running a "classic weekend" online event.  Friday would be CE (not sure if 2v2 slayer or 4v4 variant, what do you guys think?),  Saturday would be H2C 4v4, and Sunday would be H3 4v4.  BO3 matches to a point, BO5 after that and BO7 for grand finals. 

What would be the best way to go about that in terms of putting it out there for signups and what not?  

2v2 for CE. A problem I see is that H2C's netcode is still very broken.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would like to preface this by saying that in the moment, H3 was way more enjoyable for me to play back in the day compared to Halo 5 in its prime.

That being said, I significantly enjoy playing Halo 5 today than I do playing Halo 3 today, and I'm not proud of it. I know Halo 3 is a better game in 9/10 categories, but I just can't get past the BR. In Halo 5, despite all the aiming issues and unnecessary mechanics and hitmarkers and shit, I at least know that when I pull the trigger, the bullet is going to go where my reticle is.

I will also admit that I was never as good at H3 as I was at H5 (couldn't get past 45 in MLG) which definitely affects my view. I know I am a noob. I know H3 is a harder and more competitive game and I should embrace it, but I get way more frustrated playing it today than I do H5.

I need help.

I don't think you need help man. I have my issues with SAs, just like everyone else. But dealing with the H3 BR is insufferable.

All else considered, H3 would be the winner hands down, but there's something to be said about H5 shots landing where you expect them to.

Both games frustrate the hell out of me. But right now, if I have to choose between the two, I'd pick H5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So with Halo 3 coming back around, and knowing everything we know now about certain mechanics, can we maybe get some new Forge maps that aren't fucking Onslaught and Amplified?

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would use H3’s forge. You couldn’t pay me to use it.

Really wish the forge mode could/would be updated, because I’d much rather design for H3 than the subsequent games, but it’s just too painful to use right now.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would use H3’s forge. You couldn’t pay me to use it.

Really wish the forge mode could/would be updated, because I’d much rather design for H3 than the subsequent games, but it’s just too painful to use right now.

Is it more painful than getting backsmacked for the 17th time on Amplified? 

• Upvote (+1) 4

So with Halo 3 coming back around, and knowing everything we know now about certain mechanics, can we maybe get some new Forge maps that aren't fucking Onslaught and Amplified?

Never liked them. Heretic does their job just fine, they’re just redundant and ugly. I wouldn’t even really care if they were axed.

I’d honestly rather see Guardian in play despite its shortcomings.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Never liked them. Heretic does their job just fine, they’re just redundant and ugly. I wouldn’t even really care if they were axed.

I’d honestly rather see Guardian in play despite its shortcomings.

Hell no to guardian 10000000x over

• Upvote (+1) 3

h3 forge is broke rn even if we look past the fact that pros will not ever want to play on something super simple aka two towers two bases.

No, i dont mean the acceleration and deadzone stuff.  In the last MCC update they said they are looking at integrating the H4/H2A aiming system into every title as a toggleable option in a future update.  I think those have some of best aiming feel of any console shooters.  If they do that, i might be able to play Halo 3 and actually look around comfortably for the first time ever!

It's come to my attention that the vast majority of players somehow don't even realize H3's aiming is different. And you can't say anything to that group of people.

Don't like the aiming? Lead your shots.

BR spread? Lead your shots.

Bad hit registrations? Lead your shots.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Is there some unwritten rule where if you stream halo, specifically halo 5, you have to put the word “grind” in the title of your stream. It’s so fkn weird.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is there some unwritten rule where if you stream halo, specifically halo 5, you have to put the word “grind” in the title of your stream. It’s so fkn weird.

If you don't post on your social media platform that you are working hard, are you actually working hard at all  :thinking:  :thinking:  :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 6

Can't really agree with this. You put yourself at a massive disadvantage by not using Regens, Bubbles and Power Drains,these are all brokenly overpowered items.

However, equipment is much better than abilities from a design standpoint. They are single-use map pickups that the user has to go out of their way to secure and obtain, much in the way of a powerup. I have no issues with equipment being the "fourth leg" of the golden triangle. It's a shame that Bungie couldn't design any type of equipment that wasn't either way too powerful (Flare, Power Drain, Regen), a literal invincibility button (Bubble) or virtually useless (Trip Mine, Radar Jammer).

The only good ones are Grav Lift and maybe deployable cover. Had they spent more than 10 minutes on these they could've become a good addition to the franchise as they are not inherently broken and incompatible with Halo's core mechanics like sprint, Thrust and ADS are.

I'd argue trip mine and radar jammer are pretty useful in btb and any casual mode with radar turned on.

Deployable cover seems like it's only good for area denial.

Grav lift is perhaps the one useful yet also not op equipment at the same time.

The rest are op as fuck. Except flare. Flare is is just straight up stupid.

If you don't post on your social media platform that you are working hard, are you actually working hard at all  :thinking:  :thinking:  :thinking:

If you didn't instagram your meal before you ate it, did you even eat?

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm really curious what kind of new strats we're going to see. It's been over 8 years since the last big 4v4 H3 tournament. Things like instasplodes weren't even talked about back then, so I'm curious to see hoe the game has evolved since then (inb4 H3 has no meta)

H3 has a meta, it's just that the game's mechanics dont allow it to be anything more than team shooting.

Dont expect to see different strats unless were using different maps/power item timers.

I'm a big fan of refreshing/optimizing the settings for the game's skill gap. At a bare minimum, we can do better than Narrows and The Pit.

Anyone recall Killa KC entertaining the idea of MLG only running CTF for H3? Or the discussion of running only one gametype on each map (the map's best gametype)?

Slayer hasnt been great for comp since halo 2 it makes sense to me to only do obj.

This many pages in a new thread and no one posted the goldenboy gif? I would post it but i dont know how on mobile smh. Also,wasn't there a forge map on foundry that was for oddball? I really liked that map,just can't think of the name.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 6

I'm a big fan of refreshing/optimizing the settings for the game's skill gap. At a bare minimum, we can do better than Narrows and The Pit.

Anyone recall Killa KC entertaining the idea of MLG only running CTF for H3? Or the discussion of running only one gametype on each map (the map's best gametype)?

I don't know why TS is still used, Halo is the only game that runs that type of mode for competitive. 

Also, anything that means I have to play less construct is a win in my books.