FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

The question isn't "How good is Halo 3?" the question is how many online titles in the franchise are better? The answer is one and unfortunately it's too dated to draw more interest.

Halo 2: Anniversary isn't dated, and is undoubtedly on the better end of the spectrum of Halo games available to us. Not a high bar, but it is there, and only got a half year on the circuit. Could've done with another.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Halo 2: Anniversary isn't dated, and is undoubtedly on the better end of the spectrum of Halo games available to us. Not a high bar, but it is there, and only got a half year on the circuit. Could've done with another.

i would agree only if it had more than 3 maps

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Doesn't he mean H2C tho... H2A I never liked due to jumping was stale, & aiming felt stale due to the auto aim snapping onto targets, and add on there only being 3 maps(if you don't count the heavily considered for HCS map Relic) & nade markers.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

i would agree only if it had more than 3 maps

Halo 3 in contrast has 5 maps on the circuit. Guardian, Pit, Narrows, Heretic, and Construct and (IIRC) those funky Foundry maps. Of those maps, only 2-3 at best are good maps, lol. Personally, I'd rather have 3 maps that play well over 2-3 that do, surrounded by shit that sucks. Numerical value should be secondary. 

Just now, theslatcher said:

Doesn't he mean H2C tho... H2A I never liked due to jumping was stale, & aiming felt stale due to the auto aim snapping onto targets, and add on there only being 3 maps(if you don't count the heavily considered for HCS map Relic) & nade markers.

I know he meant H2C, my comment was meant to say it's not just limited to one old nostalgia hook.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I know he meant H2C, my comment was meant to say it's not just limited to one old nostalgia hook.

If H2A didn't have hitmarkers, two more maps and an observer mode I one hundred percent would like to see it be our main game right now. I've said that many times. Heck, if it just had observer mode I'd pull for it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah h2a has better gameplay than h3 for the sole reason of hit reg and not rng utility. Like kk said, hitmarkers and low map pool ruin it but those are easiy fixable

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

If H2A didn't have hitmarkers, two more maps and an observer mode I one hundred percent would like to see it be our main game right now. I've said that many times. Heck, if it just had observer mode I'd pull for it

Refer to earlier for maps, and hitmarkers for me, while flawed are still a tradeoff I'd take over the whewgarbo we have now with Halo 3's BR. Free dumb information vs. inconsistent gunfights. Not enough for me to choose Halo 3 over it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Refer to earlier for maps, and hitmarkers for me, while flawed are still a tradeoff I'd take over the whewgarbo we have now with Halo 3's BR. Free dumb information vs. inconsistent gunfights. Not enough for me to choose Halo 3 over it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 3

I often wonder why people overstate how random the H3 BR is all the time. Yes after a certain distance you probably don't 4 shot someone but you're far more likely to actually just miss at that point than get screwed over by it being random. Especially because of the competitive settings making it so you don't actually need to land every bullet in every burst for a perfect kill time. Maybe people confuse poor online hit registration and the spread?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

I often wonder why people overstate how random the H3 BR is all the time. Yes after a certain distance you probably don't 4 shot someone but you're far more likely to actually just miss at that point than get screwed over by it being random. Especially because of the competitive settings making it so you don't actually need to land every bullet in every burst for a perfect kill time. Maybe people confuse poor online hit registration and the spread?

Random spread is the reason people get away one shot. If it was straight you couldnt strongside a swipe. Hitting the headshot on someone long distance is 100% spread. Also 100% reg. Sure if u aim dead center it will most likely be connection. But if ur off my an eyeball then it can be rng or net. All one has to do is play as host to notice the spread

4 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Isn't at all overstated when the gun's fundamentally designed to be random. We've known this for ten years. It's still an issue. Always has been. Always will be. Even then, why is it somehow an issue to point out how bad the BR is all the time. Even if it was an over-exaggeration, and affected only 1% (to throw arbitrary numbers out there, I wish it was this small) of all gunfights in the game's lifespan, it's still fundamentally random and broken to the point of requiring this bandaid MLG fix, and STILL suffers in spite of it. Saying it's overstated doesn't somehow mean the mechanic is fine because people overreact to it. It's still literal garbage for any comp game.

The thing is too, even if I was "likely to miss" at a certain range, I could still miss even if I was aiming properly in Halo 3. As I do. A lot. I play on slow senses so long range aiming, especially outside of RRR is supremely easy. But Halo 3 is literally the only game I can play where I will suddenly and sporadically miss shots I shouldn't be missing outright because of this gun's suckassedness. Good aim and four bursts ping a target? Ah, nah, one bullet from burst #3 dropped, because the second bullet of 3 hit a wall away from the target. And this isn't an issue I suffer from in H2A, H4, H5, or NB Reach. Coincidentally, all games that have consistent weaponry. H3's BR just sucks outright, lol. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Isn't at all overstated when the gun's fundamentally designed to be random. We've known this for ten years. It's still an issue. Always has been. Always will be. Even then, why is it somehow an issue to point out how bad the BR is all the time. Even if it was an over-exaggeration, and affected only 1% (to throw arbitrary numbers out there, I wish it was this small) of all gunfights in the game's lifespan, it's still fundamentally random and broken to the point of requiring this bandaid MLG fix, and STILL suffers in spite of it. Saying it's overstated doesn't somehow mean the mechanic is fine because people overreact to it. It's still literal garbage for any comp game.

The thing is too, even if I was "likely to miss" at a certain range, I could still miss even if I was aiming properly in Halo 3. As I do. A lot. I play on slow senses so long range aiming, especially outside of RRR is supremely easy. But Halo 3 is literally the only game I can play where I will suddenly and sporadically miss shots I shouldn't be missing outright because of this gun's suckassedness. Good aim and four bursts ping a target? Ah, nah, one bullet from burst #3 dropped, because the second bullet of 3 hit a wall away from the target. And this isn't an issue I suffer from in H2A, H4, H5, or NB Reach. Coincidentally, all games that have consistent weaponry. H3's BR just sucks outright, lol. 

Sounds like you need to watch this video:

:simms:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

24 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

34 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

Dude, I'm fraggin' like a PRO, now.

• Fire (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting its okay that things go wrong with it I just think the scope of the complaints are exaggerated. There are ranges where perfect shooting will sometimes not result in a kill which isn't good. What people don't often state is that those ranges are bigger than S2 to top gold on Guardian. Anything shorter than that if someone didn't die to perfect shots, with 110% damage, it means that it was hit registration issues and not spread. The variance on the third bullet from that distance is much smaller than the width of center mass and the head is somewhat larger than the variance on the first bullet. I honestly think people don't understand how much of it is the actual networking or their own hands failing them. Obviously all of that is situational and assumes someone is actually facing you but bungie provided the math for how the variance and distances interact. The vast majority of battles are well within effective distances assuming a perfect connection. However if you only play on default settings the issue is FAR more apparent even with a perfect connection. One of the easiest fixes would be to just increase bullet speeds and you could swing the effective range on competitive gametypes out to be almost the size of any map relatively quickly assuming you made sure to adjust everything else accordingly as we saw with the Halo online stuff

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Trajan said:

Have any teams been scrimming before UGC? Seems like some folks were talking about it but never followed through. 

SQ has been scrimming a bit and Snip3down tweeted about scrims earlier as well.  There's not a plethora of scrims but they are happening. 

Why are we back to not using the Halo twitch channel that’s going to seriously hurt viewership..all events should be on that channel even if they aren’t HCS events.

Also are we still having pool play on Friday because I really hope so nobody wants to watch no name open bracket teams play when we could be seeing top teams playing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I guess the Halo Twitch channel will host the UGC stream(s), though?

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thdyingbreed said:

Why are we back to not using the Halo twitch channel that’s going to seriously hurt viewership..all events should be on that channel even if they aren’t HCS events.

Also are we still having pool play on Friday because I really hope so nobody wants to watch no name open bracket teams play when we could be seeing top teams playing.

Halo will be supporting in every other way possible. That's what the Grassroots is all about.

2 hours ago, GoldenboyFTW said:

Gotta let these TO’s grow my man. The grassroots program is going to set Halo up for the long term and limiting everything to the Halo channel is not the answer. Also, they see no profit from that channel and before anyone says “we’ll just give them whatever profit they gained during that time period” just know it’s not that easy. MS probably has a broader deal with Twitch and a corporate entity giving money to a smaller company is a headache in legal crap. We all need to spread the news like crazy and support the crap out of UGC because they’re paying out of pocket for this. I’m saving my Prime Sub for them for example.

I saw you on tv last night. My heart was happy. 

5 hours ago, GoldenboyFTW said:

Gotta let these TO’s grow my man. The grassroots program is going to set Halo up for the long term and limiting everything to the Halo channel is not the answer. Also, they see no profit from that channel and before anyone says “we’ll just give them whatever profit they gained during that time period” just know it’s not that easy. MS probably has a broader deal with Twitch and a corporate entity giving money to a smaller company is a headache in legal crap. We all need to spread the news like crazy and support the crap out of UGC because they’re paying out of pocket for this. I’m saving my Prime Sub for them for example.

BTW, crazy good job casting on the Titans show( just saw the Premiere last night) ! Show was :fire: