@iTz So Frosty

@Royal2

good luck in COD

@iTz So Frosty

@Eco

@Shotzzy

@Renegade

@StelluR

(but you should probably practice before the events)

thanks for the LindaCoin investment tip @FrankTheShow

Welcome back everyone! Let's say goodbye to Halo 5 and get hyped for Halo 3 

3W3Pqk2.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

bronze medal, lets go

Did Royal 2 and Lethul compete in Halo 3 back in 2010?

If Halo 3 had another year Lethul would've been top 16 and Royal 2 would've been top 8. 

I'm really anxious to see how TOX does at UGC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm super hyped to see what sort of teams form.  I'm curious how many of the H5 rosters stick together and how many OG rosters get revived.

Prediction: A H5 team will win the event, and only 1 or 2 of the coming out of retirement squads will place well. A month is not a lot of time when you consider that MCC H3 is not OG H3, and some of these H5/H2A kids have nasty shots and are fast learners.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Prediction: A H5 team will win the event, and only 1 or 2 of the coming out of retirement squads will place well. A month is not a lot of time when you consider that MCC H3 is not OG H3, and some of these H5/H2A kids have nasty shots and are fast learners.

I think it depends on how hard some of the newer players try to listen and learn from other pro players who already knew/know how to play H3. There were a few different meta games through H3 before people really figured it out. In reality I think its going to be a mix of fundamentally sound older players and some new faces that win if it isn't just tox being just old enough to have played H3 at a high level but not so old their placements are falling

I mean you say that, but Roy/FlameSword got second at the H3 2v2. Sure it's not "OG H3" but MCC isn't "OG CE" either and I'd still bet my entire life savings on the Ogre twins in a CE 2v2 event. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm really curious what kind of new strats we're going to see. It's been over 8 years since the last big 4v4 H3 tournament. Things like instasplodes weren't even talked about back then, so I'm curious to see hoe the game has evolved since then (inb4 H3 has no meta)

I mean you say that, but Roy/FlameSword got second at the H3 2v2. Sure it's not "OG H3" but MCC isn't "OG CE" either and I'd still bet my entire life savings on the Ogre twins in a CE 2v2 event. 

You might want to reconsider that bet lol. Not that its impossible that at least 2gre would have a good showing but there are a few CE players that have been playing this whole time and it wouldn't be surprising to see them take any sort of 2v2 from anyone

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it depends on how hard some of the newer players try to listen and learn from other pro players who already knew/know how to play H3. There were a few different meta games through H3 before people really figured it out

I think it's easy to forget how much stuff transfers over across the series, and how tough competition actually was in H5. There's only a few that I think would have a hard time letting someone wing them, and I most of them aren't going back to H3.

Roy and Flame's team and Neighbor and Bestman's team are the two old teams that I expect to do well precisely because those guys have already been back for a few months. One month is not a lot of time when the top h5 players have for the most part been competing in Halo for the last 4 years straight (longer for the AGL crowd) and they weren't allowed to play in the 2v2.

Edit: I'm pretty sure at the very least the Ogres would admit to needing more than a months practice to beat the Beach LAN types. Ogre 2 is still a top 4 CE player, but I don't think anyone in the CE scene would put Ogre 1 up there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Roy and Flame's team and Neighbor and Bestman's team are the two old teams that I expect to do well precisely because those guys have already been back for a few months. One month is not a lot of time when the top h5 players have for the most part been competing in Halo for the last 4 years straight (longer for the AGL crowd) and they weren't allowed to play in the 2v2.

Edit: I'm pretty sure at the very least the Ogres would admit to needing more than a months practice to beat the Beach LAN types. Ogre 2 is still a top 4 CE player, but I don't think anyone in the CE scene would put Ogre 1 up there.

My point was simply that these pros don't just forget how to play the game.  A month of good practice with online tournaments (qualifiers) every Saturday leading up to the event would bring these guys back into shape without a question.  Then again, the team comp absolutely matters and just throwing any 4 together won't be as good as 4 guys that have played this game together for a long time.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Daily "we need an Observer mode in MCC" post.

We need this just as much as we need In-Game Leaderboards for ranked multiplayer as well as a way to host custom games on dedicated servers/custom game browser.

I'm surprised we haven't really had a lot of complaints about the double nade throws that seem to happen on MCC on top of the strange registration

I'm surprised we haven't really had a lot of complaints about the double nade throws that seem to happen on MCC on top of the strange registration

I think it's because I'm on EU connection, but I also get random "double shot"-esque effects in H3 where it shoots an extra burst even though I didn't pull the trigger. 

this is a heretical thing to say but the H5 individual skill gap is significantly bigger than the H3 skill gap ... I just don't know that his work ethic would pay off in quite the same way (except for sniping, that's way harder in H3)

I actually agree with this but the skill gap is purely mechanical, which is the shame of it.  How expensive your controller is or how well you can contort your fingers to press 3 buttons at the same time, all the time, shouldn't be the primary skill driver.

Can't really agree with this. You put yourself at a massive disadvantage by not using Regens, Bubbles and Power Drains,these are all brokenly overpowered items.

However, equipment is much better than abilities from a design standpoint. They are single-use map pickups that the user has to go out of their way to secure and obtain, much in the way of a powerup. I have no issues with equipment being the "fourth leg" of the golden triangle. It's a shame that Bungie couldn't design any type of equipment that wasn't either way too powerful (Flare, Power Drain, Regen), a literal invincibility button (Bubble) or virtually useless (Trip Mine, Radar Jammer).

The only good ones are Grav Lift and maybe deployable cover. Had they spent more than 10 minutes on these they could've become a good addition to the franchise as they are not inherently broken and incompatible with Halo's core mechanics like sprint, Thrust and ADS are.

To add to this, its also better because if a piece of equipment sucks... you can just not use it. It won't break the maps and people don't use them every play of every game so if it sucks and you remove it, nobody really notices and it improves the game.  If a core ever-present mechanic sucks, you can't just rip it out without a bunch of other modifications because then you break the maps and since people use those mechanics constantly, the level of bitching about their removal would be insane.

I would like to preface this by saying that in the moment, H3 was way more enjoyable for me to play back in the day compared to Halo 5 in its prime.

That being said, I significantly enjoy playing Halo 5 today than I do playing Halo 3 today, and I'm not proud of it. I know Halo 3 is a better game in 9/10 categories, but I just can't get past the BR. In Halo 5, despite all the aiming issues and unnecessary mechanics and hitmarkers and shit, I at least know that when I pull the trigger, the bullet is going to go where my reticle is.

I will also admit that I was never as good at H3 as I was at H5 (couldn't get past 45 in MLG) which definitely affects my view. I know I am a noob. I know H3 is a harder and more competitive game and I should embrace it, but I get way more frustrated playing it today than I do H5.

I need help.

I am in the same boat.  H3 is the hardest game to go back to for me. Almost entirely because of the aiming, BR, movement speed, and weapon spawn system.  Halo 3 design wise does a lot of things better, but the game feels like you are slogging through wet concrete.  MLG settings fix the movement speed and weapon spawn issues though, so when they add the H4/H2A aiming system option to every game in MCC which should fix the aiming issue too i bet it will be significantly better.  Get rid of the randomness of the BR spread after that and we're good to go (you can keep the average spread values, just make it non-random).

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am in the same boat.  H3 is the hardest game to go back to for me. Almost entirely because of the aiming, BR, movement speed, and weapon spawn system.  Halo 3 design wise does a lot of things better, but the game feels like you are slogging through wet concrete.  MLG settings fix the movement speed and weapon spawn issues though, so when they add the H4/H2A aiming system option to every game in MCC which should fix the aiming issue too i bet it will be significantly better.  Get rid of the randomness of the BR spread after that and we're good to go (you can keep the average spread values, just make it non-random).

If you mean the acceleration and deadzone stuff it's in the game right now.  

Agreed on the BR though, my god is it frustrating to shoot a guy 3 times in the head and have the BR outline it like a damn carnival routine. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

double nade throws aren’t a bug or glitch it’s simply a result of lag. It happened in the past halos and h5, where if a games lag was heavy that would happen. The only argument you can make is for 343 to improve tick rates in the servers(I at least hope the tick rate is 30HZ).

I do think almost all of the weird/bad stuff stems from being put on dedis that shouldn't even be an option based on your location. Its wild how you can go from games that feel almost like LAN to servers where you can't 4 someone who isn't playing and somehow these are supposed to be the same dedicated servers

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@CyReN, can we add some stream links for some of the grassroot partners and pros to the front page? it would show some love and community support and help people find some good streams that may be buried in the mcc page

As I sip my morning coffee and stare off at the dew glistening in my backyard, I pray for the new-age Halo 3 fans who will never know the feeling of being in school on the Friday of an MLG event - staring at the clock - counting down the seconds until that final bell rang to run home, drink copious amounts of Dr. Pepper in an all-too-short time span, and watch the likes of true Halo legends such as Poweezy and LegendJRG battle it out in the opening matches of the tournament. A different time. 

the worst was when that stupid octoshape plugin crashed in the middle of an intense series

• Upvote (+1) 6

I really hope 343 can see that these games don't have to be completely set in stone and that they consider making spread smaller and/or more consistent. They already started improving on the games by making CE have ping-independent lead and with the red names and the timer. Just make the three bullets go up in vertical fashion or make the spread like this ^,

anything but the random bullshit we're still dealing with 11 years later because some idiots at Bungie were mad that the H2 BR was "a bit too powerful" . Halo:Online completely removed the spread and it plays fantastically, I can't see H3 falling apart from a spread reduction and a bit more consistency. Even BTB maps won't turn into H4 DMR-esque shitfests where no one moves as the H3 BR still has travel time and fairly low RRR and aim assist. It would make the game more skillful and more consistent without any significant drawbacks.

The H3 BR could be the 2nd best utility weapon in the franchise if only it wasn't for the dumbass spread (ok I lied, up the RoF while we're at it) . Aim assist values are pretty much perfect, nothing feels as good as out-BRing someone in Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 4

the worst was when that stupid octoshape plugin crashed in the middle of an intense series

And come to think of it - MLG never thanked us for our continued patience when those crashes did happen. Sad, really  :salt:  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you mean the acceleration and deadzone stuff it's in the game right now.  

Agreed on the BR though, my god is it frustrating to shoot a guy 3 times in the head and have the BR outline it like a damn carnival routine. 

No, i dont mean the acceleration and deadzone stuff.  In the last MCC update they said they are looking at integrating the H4/H2A aiming system into every title as a toggleable option in a future update.  I think those have some of best aiming feel of any console shooters.  If they do that, i might be able to play Halo 3 and actually look around comfortably for the first time ever!

• Upvote (+1) 2

So with Halo 3 coming back around, and knowing everything we know now about certain mechanics, can we maybe get some new Forge maps that aren't fucking Onslaught and Amplified? 

We can only dream. I'm just worried someone is going to bring up lockdown (the forge map) oddball and somehow we'll be back to playing that too