CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Edit: Nah this is old, but I do remember it now

One of the absolute most ridiculous videos I've ever seen. Yikes.

Most of the people competing then weren't in their 20's, they were kids. Kids don't need it to be a living, adults do.

They need to be making a livable wage from an organization, agreed, if they are going to try and make it a "job." 99% of Halo professional players don't do much outside of competing in tournaments to make it a sustainable profession though. It's strange too because, especially with H5 the community complained about no streams and then didn't support them when they were streamed. Because the game absolutely sucked. Streams are seeing more love now though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Felt nice to play, story rocked, atmosphere was great, multiplayer hooked me. Could rave, lol.

No-sprint customs honestly weren't terrible. Better than anything in Reach save for NBNS. The rest of the game was dogs*** though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not that Halo 4 is a bad game. It's just a bad Halo game.

- Doesn't sound or look like Halo. Especially didn't sound like Halo.

- All maps were brown or grey.

- Everything was washed out.

- UNSC had curved/white stuff a lot instead of blocky army green/brown.

- Elites were cumbersome and ape-like instead of agile warrior class.

- Grunts sounded stupid.

- Prometheans and Forerunner tech doesn't look like anything that has been preestablished in Halo.

- Multiplayer was generic and there were plenty of games that did what it could do better.

- Forge had frame rate issues.

- Sprint/Armour Abilities/Perks 

- No Halo theme.

- Menu system is one of the worst I've seen in a AAA game. Seriously we went from Halo Reach's god-tier UI to laggytiles 'r' us.

- BTB focus over 4v4 experience. Not nessecarily bad but if felt like the game tried to focus on getting you in combat as fast as possible (sprint + more players on map) rather than what was actually fun.

- Sniper was so easy and was unrecognisable as a Halo weapon.

- You can spawn with camo and shotgun boltshot.

- Medals became unrecognisable.

- Reduced customisation since Reach.

- Points appeared on screen like I'm some sort of plebian that needs constant reinforcement that I'm playing a game. Seriously why did they add this for Halo.

- So many medals that they became pointless and meaningless. There was a medal for a normal kill. Sigh.

- No ranked. (on launch but also it was browser based ranked when it came out)

- Quicktime Events.

- No Red X's (on launch)

- Black Ops 2 existed and did everything Halo 4 did but better.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

No-sprint customs honestly weren't terrible. Better than anything in Reach save for NBNS. The rest of the game was dogs*** though.

Nah, socially, MM was a godsend, commendations were done well too (Coming off of Reach), and they, coupled with the ranking system were honestly longevity perfection, provided I wanted a boost out of gameplay I already enjoyed. Totally not for everyone who likes core Halo, obviously, as pop showed, but I maintain it was still great at what it wanted to do, and it briefly ridded me of some irks in older Halos, lol.

Honestly didn't enjoy h4 until MCC and the game felt less sluggish. It was short-lived, however, due to the flaws outweighing everything else. To echo, no saying the game was poorly designed but poorly tuned in some areas (campaign, small team multiplayer)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nah, socially, MM was a godsend, commendations were done well too (Coming off of Reach), and they, coupled with the ranking system were honestly longevity perfection, provided I wanted a boost out of gameplay I already enjoyed. Totally not for everyone who likes core Halo, obviously, as pop showed, but I maintain it was still great at what it wanted to do, and it briefly ridded me of some irks in older Halos, lol.

The SR Ranking system that took like 2 weeks of casual play to max out, or the CSR system which wasn't there on launch, and when added, meant nothing because you had to go to waypoint to view it?

And I will continue to point this out and laugh about it, but the person who hates power weapons and power ups really enjoys Halo 4, you know, the Halo game where you could beam power ups and power weapons straight to you. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The SR Ranking system that took like 2 weeks of casual play to max out, or the CSR system which wasn't there on launch, and when added, meant nothing because you had to go to waypoint to view it?

And I will continue to point this out and laugh about it, but the person who hates power weapons and power ups really enjoys Halo 4, you know, the Halo game where you could beam power ups and power weapons straight to you. 

Yeah, the SR system that wasn't a dumb obnoxious grind, and not long in the tooth like Reach's was (Which is a generous one, lol). Could take you anywhere from two weeks to two months to complete. It was good, and the emphasis on a proper grind with good commendations and rewards (Kills, wins and armor rewards), felt nice.

And yeah, I despise power weapons, but I'd rather be able to spawn my own in, alongside the enemy's if there's gonna be some. It's stupid, but not as stupid as being steamrolled by a sniper, or a rocket launcher without a means of contesting, lmao. Especially given Halo's notoriously shit rep for shit utility to power weapon power ratios. Least then I need to work for them and shoot shit to quickly rack up points for ordnance. 

And yeah, I despise power weapons, but I'd rather be able to spawn my own in, alongside the enemy's if there's gonna be some. It's stupid, but not as stupid as being steamrolled by a sniper, or a rocket launcher without a means of contesting, lmao. Especially given Halo's notoriously shit rep for shit utility to power weapon power ratios. Least then I need to work for them and shoot shit to quickly rack up points for ordnance. 

Oh so instead of placed power weapons which are usually in places you can contest for them, you'd rather they deliver direct, so that they can still proceed to kill you because they still have a god damn power weapon and you don't, except they didn't have to make an effort to contest in an equal opportunity area, where you could've killed them before they got the power weapon.

Because working for map control while slaying the enemy team to take the power weapons isn't working for them, but jerking off with a DMR at the back of the map is.

Yeah that makes complete sense. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's not that Halo 4 is a bad game. It's just a bad Halo game.

- Doesn't sound or look like Halo. Especially didn't sound like Halo.

- All maps were brown or grey.

- Everything was washed out.

- UNSC had curved/white stuff a lot instead of blocky army green/brown.

- Elites were cumbersome and ape-like instead of agile warrior class.

- Grunts sounded stupid.

- Prometheans and Forerunner tech doesn't look like anything that has been preestablished in Halo.

- Multiplayer was generic and there were plenty of games that did what it could do better.

- Forge had frame rate issues.

- Sprint/Armour Abilities/Perks 

- No Halo theme.

- Menu system is one of the worst I've seen in a AAA game. Seriously we went from Halo Reach's god-tier UI to laggytiles 'r' us.

- BTB focus over 4v4 experience. Not nessecarily bad but if felt like the game tried to focus on getting you in combat as fast as possible (sprint + more players on map) rather than what was actually fun.

- Sniper was so easy and was unrecognisable as a Halo weapon.

- You can spawn with camo and shotgun boltshot.

- Medals became unrecognisable.

- Reduced customisation since Reach.

- Points appeared on screen like I'm some sort of plebian that needs constant reinforcement that I'm playing a game. Seriously why did they add this for Halo.

- So many medals that they became pointless and meaningless. There was a medal for a normal kill. Sigh.

- No ranked. (on launch but also it was browser based ranked when it came out)

- Quicktime Events.

- No Red X's (on launch)

- Black Ops 2 existed and did everything Halo 4 did but better.

I can see that argument with H5 but to me H4 was actually just a bad game. The only reason I gave it the time of day was because it had Halo in the title

• Like (+1) 2

Along with BO2 releasing and for those people who began to get tired of the series also turned to PC gaming with the rise of LoL after the hype of their S2 worlds at the Galen center in LA as well as CSGO and others diving into Esports. Add that with the disaster of the Xbone launch the following year and MCC after that its been a very rocky road for competitive halo fans on xbox. 

Yeah, the SR system that wasn't a dumb obnoxious grind, and not long in the tooth like Reach's was (Which is a generous one, lol). Could take you anywhere from two weeks to two months to complete. It was good, and the emphasis on a proper grind with good commendations and rewards (Kills, wins and armor rewards), felt nice.

Halo 4s commendations were dumb as hell. Encouraging people to ignore the objective or abuse exploits so they can mindlessly farm commendations for XP is an idea that needs to die in a fire. If Halo 4 didn't make that clear, hopefully Achilles paints a better picture.

Also, How does it make sense for someone who dislikes power weapons to prefer that everyone can spawn in power weapons? that just increases the likelihood you won't be able to contest at any given instance because you have no clue what weapons are on the field.

• Upvote (+1) 1