CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Legitimately jumped out of my chair when Snipedown hit that triple. That was incredible.

• Upvote (+1) 5

While I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying, Halo 4 was popular with a lot of people.

2ic30ap.jpg

And the ratings, which I really can't begin to fathom:

dg2a8j.jpg

Halo 4 was, in my mind, undoubtedly the worst game in the Halo franchise. Only time I ever stopped playing Halo. But with many, H4 was a popular game and although I haven't looked up total sales or anything, from launch it was a financial success.

Seriously how did anyone enjoy Halo 4

For a game to review well, it just has to keep the reviewers attention for a week. H4 beautified the Halo engine (not the artwork though), had good controls, and a ton of MP content out of the box, and modernized the formula (shamelessly ripped off COD). Without looking at it through the prison of "core Halo", to a reviewer, it might have looked like something that would stand the test of time.

Halo 4 sold well, because the Halo brand still carried a lot of weight at the time and people were anxious to give the new approach a shot. It also benefited from positive reviews. It was pure enertia. It was the last halo game to benefit from somewhat positive momentum, and effectively reversed course once it got in the wild.

It came out the gates hot with a lot of sales. but the MP was dropped like a bag of rocks. So I don't know if popular is the best way to describe it. A lot of people bought the game, but not many people enjoyed it enough to keep playing after the first week.

• Upvote (+1) 3

While I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying, Halo 4 was popular with a lot of people.

2ic30ap.jpg

And the ratings, which I really can't begin to fathom:

dg2a8j.jpg

Halo 4 was, in my mind, undoubtedly the worst game in the Halo franchise. Only time I ever stopped playing Halo. But with many, H4 was a popular game and although I haven't looked up total sales or anything, from launch it was a financial success.

Seriously how did anyone enjoy Halo 4

It was a franchise failure and hurt the longevity and sales long term for Halo. Everyone bought it thinking it'd be good but it was mediocre.

It's like saying MCC was a success because it sold millions of copies and got good reviews. It damaged the brand long term.

Same with shit like Sea of Thieves or No Man's Sky.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How did it turn out last night between GMS, Rat Pack, and Reciprocity?

And who won the Friday and Saturday tournaments? Tox?

I hope he does really mean it now, focus on his professional career as the rewards will be bigger and better. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

How did it turn out last night between GMS, Rat Pack, and Reciprocity?

And who won the Friday and Saturday tournaments? Tox?

GMS won last night in game 5 vs Rec. Tox didn't compete in the tournament yesterday, but won Friday and Saturday.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly, it's a great time to retire and focus on future moves.

I have a feeling that we're about to hit another pretty dark timeline for Halo again by mid-2019. And with rumors of Infinite not coming out until 2021, I would bet there isn't going to be enough (or big enough) grassroots tournaments to support large payouts for these players to make a living.

Best of luck to him!

• Upvote (+1) 7

GMS won last night in game 5 vs Rec. Tox didn't compete in the tournament yesterday, but won Friday and Saturday.

Pretty sure Tox got second to SQ Friday, if that was the first tournament they had played.

Nvm Tox won 3-2.

I have a feeling that we're about to hit another pretty dark timeline for Halo again by mid-2019. And with rumors of Infinite not coming out until 2021, I would bet there isn't going to be enough (or big enough) grassroots tournaments to support large payouts for these players to make a living.

Best of luck to him!

I thought the rumors were for 2020? 2021 is an awfully long wait

Pretty sure Tox got second to SQ Friday, if that was the first tournament they had played.

No Tox won both qualifiers. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Best of luck to him!

There isn't and shouldn't be enough income for people to be making a living when you're talking about building a grassroots type ecosystem. Then it wouldn't be grassroots it would just be another developer funded circuit. The whole point is to bring expectation in line with value, incentivizing tournament organizers and the scene to grow the game on their own back. If you start handing out inflated $50 - $100k prizepools then no tournament organizer worth their salt is going to be interested in running events without similar support.

Keep the prize pools as they are and you'll find out who wants to play the game because they want to play the game. Bring in multiple partners in at the ground level to find the value of the scene itself (filling out venues, growing our own hype) - MLG, gfinity, Dreamhack, Beyond. Approach the scene from different angles (streams / content creators, lans, online leagues, cups etc).

Below is a tweet that exemplifies where we want to be heading. Two massive tournament organizers working on their own growth but coming together for the betterment of the players and the scene. No developer money. No developer involvement.

• Upvote (+1) 8

We didn't need millions in prizes when CE was on the circuit. Was that a dark timeline too?

We'll have players and organizers who are there because they love Halo and that's it. Sure the money incentive is nice but passionate people playing extremely skillful Halo games instead of people playing Halo 5 largely because that's where the money is, is a good thing to me.

• Upvote (+1) 5

We didn't need millions in prizes when CE was on the circuit. Was that a dark timeline too?

Most of the people competing then weren't in their 20's, they were kids. Kids don't need it to be a living, adults do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most of the people competing then weren't in their 20's, they were kids. Kids don't need it to be a living, adults do.

Hopefully they make better career decisions then tbh. Its cool that people can get paid for doing what they enjoy but, well, Halo isn't really all that great in terms of life long opportunity even if a handful do make it work somehow and people should plan to do something afterwards. Not everyone is going to win the million dollar tournaments multiple times. Networking and getting to know people to maybe get a job with a major TO or some other entity within esports is a viable path if you can offer something that they need but just playing Halo for a living isn't really a sustainable lifestyle. If nothing else I hope the younger people keep up with school or learn some kind of skill even if its just a few classes at a time in college while they play or whatever

• Like (+1) 1