CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Its not an "either, or" equation. There is nothing stopping MLG from running tournaments. We aren't "stuck" with UGC, but they stepped up to the plate.

Exactly.  Not to mention, it's not like UGC is new to this, they've been running various things since at least 2013 (they ran the CoD Ghosts tournament in Niagara) and did some stuff during the H2A year.  Either way though, we should be celebrating that they're running the events and offering constructive criticism instead of just being negative Nancys..

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hey guys, I'm considering attending my first ever event at STL. What is the event experience like for someone going alone who doesn't really know anyone at the event? Is it easy to meet people there/get a good group to hang out with both at and outside the event?

What hotels do people usually stay at? And what time would you recommend I arrive/leave from STL?

For reference, I will be flying in from Austin, TX, and I am 26. Thanks for any advice.

Definitely check out the UGC Check In thread so you have some Beyond guys you can meet up with.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys, I'm considering attending my first ever event at STL. What is the event experience like for someone going alone who doesn't really know anyone at the event? Is it easy to meet people there/get a good group to hang out with both at and outside the event?

What hotels do people usually stay at? And what time would you recommend I arrive/leave from STL?

For reference, I will be flying in from Austin, TX, and I am 26. Thanks for any advice.

Here is a link to the UGC with some more info on it (as well as some info on Hotels near the event).  https://ugcevents.gg/haloclassic/

I'm assuming you're flying so I'd say try to get there early Thursday so you have a bit of time if shit hits the fan for some reason, and it's probably best to stay Sunday and leave on Monday.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone know what's going on with the PBL and the Anaheim owner. Apparently the Tom guy (PBL owner) took back ownership of the Pirates but not much else has been said

My team needs one for the skirmish tournament today at 4 est if your interested shoot me a message on xbl

gt: GunFiiree

I hated to see them leave the greenwall, but it definitely sounds like they made the right decision... I'll admit I clicked on the links cause I thought there were some Halo:Infinite negotiations going on. LMAO

• Upvote (+1) 3

This. Let's be grateful for what we got.

I see where at this stage of Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I see where at this stage of Halo 5.

I mean its actually a pretty reasonable stance. Like sure we could get mad we don't have the big orgs, prize pools and TOs involved atm but in reality that doesn't really make sense in a world where nobody actually watches Halo lately. Obviously we want all of those things still but they're going out on a limb and trying to help the community by playing games we actually want to see. Basically they are doing us a favor. Halo isn't really popular or that relevant. It sucks but that's where we're at

• Upvote (+1) 5

Man, having 3 tournaments in 3 days is awesome. Kinda feels like a brand new cod comes out and there are just non stop tournaments. Except the game is 11 years old. I'd love for there to be 2 tournaments a week on a consistent basis.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You can hold people to a higher standard without being an ass about it. 

I couldn't agree more.

We're talking about a multibillion dollar franchise. Halo is one of the most recognisable franchises in gaming history. Halo 3 in particular.

Halo 4/5 dropped the ball both aesthetically, financially and popularly. Halo 3 competitive teetered on the edge of mainstream popularity. We've been at the top before, we've seen 343i's blunders (MCC as a whole, no forge on Halo 5's release, no BTB maps, consistent server/aim issues, Halo 4's generic design over quintessential Halo, poor writing, misleading marketing, Grand Finals in a tent etc. etc.)

I love that we've got a Halo 3 tournament but let's remind ourselves that Microsoft and 343i are massive companies and they have a franchise that was once loved and top of the world. It's fair for us to hold them to a higher standard than what they've been putting out, especially for the budget and time frame they've had (excepting Halo 4 which was built in 2 years whilst the team itself was being built though that doesn't excuse the design direction).

• Upvote (+1) 4

I’m just glad we can finally exercise some control over the settings/game that being competed on.

Can you imagine how much better competitive Halo 5 would have been if we had control over the HCS settings? There would have been no auto, radar, spartan charge, ground pound, etc. from day one, and I guarantee that viewership and team participation would have been much higher, and orgs would have likely stuck around longer as a result. I have no issue with devs being in control of competitive settings so long as they actually understand the game. It was clear 343 and ESL had no idea what they were doing, and the competitive scene suffered because of it.

I know we’re in a bit of a situation right now where the future of Halo esports is kind of uncertain, but I am confident that if we can keep the momentum going after UGC STL, 2019 will be the best year for Halo in a long time. Grassroots is the best thing to happen to the scene since NBNS, imo.

If 343 doesn’t deliver a classic experience with Infinite they will have derailed all momentum gained from this. I’m really praying that they don’t screw this up, because that will

be the final nail in the coffin for this franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Never forget how terrible ESL was for Halo

Without esl we wouldnt have the memories of chamionship monday and the 10 man listen in

• Upvote (+1) 1

this skirmish tournament has been horrible. Cant even get a working website and cant even see gamertags of kids were playing? Crazy headache from this

I agree with holding MS/343 accountable for the shape of the series but everyone else involved or those who choose to not be involved (orgs, TOs) are just looking out for themselves which only makes sense. There is a reason virtually every large sponsor or TO that has been involved with Halo is either currently gone or has left the scene before and it all comes back around to bad game releases with very small communities. Basically someone has to make a good game or we'll just keep running events on MS advertising budgets and having periods of nothing/reduced quality when they're not trying to advertise said game

I couldn't agree more.

We're talking about a multibillion dollar franchise. Halo is one of the most recognisable franchises in gaming history. Halo 3 in particular.

Halo 4/5 dropped the ball both aesthetically, financially and popularly. Halo 3 competitive teetered on the edge of mainstream popularity. We've been at the top before, we've seen 343i's blunders (MCC as a whole, no forge on Halo 5's release, no BTB maps, consistent server/aim issues, Halo 4's generic design over quintessential Halo, poor writing, misleading marketing, Grand Finals in a tent etc. etc.)

I love that we've got a Halo 3 tournament but let's remind ourselves that Microsoft and 343i are massive companies and they have a franchise that was once loved and top of the world. It's fair for us to hold them to a higher standard than what they've been putting out, especially for the budget and time frame they've had (excepting Halo 4 which was built in 2 years whilst the team itself was being built though that doesn't excuse the design direction).

While I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying, Halo 4 was popular with a lot of people. 

2ic30ap.jpg

And the ratings, which I really can't begin to fathom:

dg2a8j.jpg

Halo 4 was, in my mind, undoubtedly the worst game in the Halo franchise. Only time I ever stopped playing Halo. But with many, H4 was a popular game and although I haven't looked up total sales or anything, from launch it was a financial success.

Seriously how did anyone enjoy Halo 4

snip

I don't want to say nobody enjoyed it but its pretty easy to see which games the player base as a whole actually enjoyed. Halo sells a lot of copies off of hype. Reviews have been trash since the dawn of time. Seeing how many people continue playing after months/years is what is telling. Halo 4 lost players as fast as it sold copies day 1.

• Upvote (+1) 2

this skirmish tournament has been horrible. Cant even get a working website and cant even see gamertags of kids were playing? Crazy headache from this

Yea I was trying to get to the bracket from a link in Snip3down's stream and it just wouldn't load.  No idea what was going on, who was in or out, so I just bounced.  It's crazy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying, Halo 4 was popular with a lot of people. 

It lost all it's players very quickly. It also ruined a lot of hype for Halo 5. I used to be able to have frequent BTB games with a team of 8 online in Halo 3/R but all of those people sold their Xbox One's after Halo 5 and MCC.