CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Idk if anyone from UGC reads this, but I think a nice touch for production would have a teams coms quietly in the background during commentary.

• Upvote (+1) 3

what team is mikwen on?

Just a team: Penguin, Mikwen, Saiyan, & Trippey. Got first round DQd by 2 Pump Chumps(Roster consists of Turley, Tragicxo, Levy, TuleReigN, AyAyAce, LittleKountry, SSaintly, & Winntur on UGC's website so no idea what the team is out of those.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just a team: Penguin, Mikwen, Saiyan, & Trippey. Got first round DQd by 2 Pump Chumps(Roster consists of Turley, Tragicxo, Levy, TuleReigN, AyAyAce, LittleKountry, SSaintly, & Winntur on UGC's website so no idea what the team is out of those.)

Man that's fucking wack!

Looking at the bracket they got 2-0'd the next series... smh

bracket: https://challonge.com/ucylr2x5

Anybody know what happened to Instinct/REC? Didn't see them in the bracket or any tweets saying they were streaming.  :'(

Man that's fucking wack!

Looking at the bracket they got 2-0'd the next series... smh

bracket: https://challonge.com/ucylr2x5

Anybody know what happened to Instinct/REC? Didn't see them in the bracket or any tweets saying they were streaming.  :'(

Honestly? idk if they even knew there was a qualifier today considering there was one yesterday.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly? idk if they even knew there was a qualifier today considering there was one yesterday.

Roy was talking about how he was busy today and that's why they were playing yesterday

• Upvote (+1) 3

I noticed yesterday that Pistola was only like rank 18 while all the other pros are 48-50 in the hardcore playlist. Does he mainly play on smurfs? Or has he just not have played until recently? Do you think the lack of practice together caused them to be 1st rounded last night?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I noticed yesterday that Pistola was only like rank 18 while all the other pros are 48-50 in the hardcore playlist. Does he mainly play on smurfs? Or has he just not have played until recently? Do you think the lack of practice together caused them to be 1st rounded last night?

I think he's been playing Fortnite, unless there's a different Pistola in the Fortnite scene that I don't know about. 

I think he's been playing Fortnite, unless there's a different Pistola in the Fortnite scene that I don't know about. 

Gandhi tweeted about this the other day, it's a different Pistola.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else extremely worried about what Halo esports looks like after January of 2019?

Yup, brought this up when they initially announced the grassroots program & the St Louis event. Only other thing that has been announced is the 2v2 Gamers For Giving event.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Yup, brought this up when they initially announced the grassroots program & the St Louis event. Only other thing that has been announced is the 2v2 Gamers For Giving event.

Yeah, grassroots seems great until you start to think of how long it might take to one, get approved for the application, two, see what 343 Industries is willing to provide your event, and then actually plan, advertise, and host your event, scary hours. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, grassroots seems great until you start to think of how long it might take to one, get approved for the application, two, see what 343 Industries is willing to provide your event, and then actually plan, advertise, and host your event, scary hours. 

Little bit of intel in Roy's chat apparently UGC wants to do a few more cities. Nothing confirmed but they do seem to have a plan. Basically seemed to consist of online events and 4 live events. If we get some other stuff going on to fill in the gaps this could be the best year for watching Halo in awhile

• Upvote (+1) 1

I’d much rather have other TO’s like MLG then be stuck with only amateur TO’s like UGC for an entire year like I still remember how awful there last event was it was a shitshow.

• Downvote (-1) 8

Except there aren’t any other TO’s. I’m happy to have UGC organize this event despite the issues. If MLG puts on an event then that’s great. But I’m grateful for UGC doing this when it seems so little care about halo

This. Let's be grateful for what we got.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Except there aren’t any other TO’s. I’m happy to have UGC organize this event despite the issues. If MLG puts on an event then that’s great. But I’m grateful for UGC doing this when it seems so little care about halo

I meant in the sense like I hope they don’t take over all the LAN event slots for the year which then screws over anyone else who may want to get in on hosting an event.

Though I’m also incredibly skeptical of most non-MLG TOs and Gfinity as well because I remember how it was before they cameback it was just nothing but embarrassing events with constant issues when we had nothing but amateur hour TO’s running events.

That said you’re probably right that something is better nothing I just hope other decent TO’s decide to run events

Couldn't even make sense of it. I was more impressed with Goofy's unpredictability and movement. I must've been sleeping on that guy for the longest.

Ninjaing camo when you're getting double teamed and somehow staying alive is straight GOAT work.

Snakebite has stayed consistently the best player for so long.

Goofy was also a top 6 pro in H3. He had one of the most well known plays in MLG history.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey guys, I'm considering attending my first ever event at STL. What is the event experience like for someone going alone who doesn't really know anyone at the event? Is it easy to meet people there/get a good group to hang out with both at and outside the event?

What hotels do people usually stay at? And what time would you recommend I arrive/leave from STL?

For reference, I will be flying in from Austin, TX, and I am 26. Thanks for any advice.

• Upvote (+1) 1