CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

He said on stream he's probably not going because the prize pool isn't worth it. He might though.

Rumor is he doesn't lead :intensifies:

For real though, I wanted to see TOX compete as a full team.

Thank you, humans. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're going to use a neutral host version of the game...and still have hosts? 

That's my understanding. I haven't heard why yet. My only guesses are limitations on available xboxes, or an attempt to make it as familiar to the majority of players as possible.

That's my understanding. I haven't heard why yet. My only guesses are limitations on available xboxes, or an attempt to make it as familiar to the majority of players as possible.

Yea, pretty much bang on with the Xbox limitations

Yea, pretty much bang on with the Xbox limitations

By variable conditions, he's referring to the "mud". When a box gets hot, looking around can feel sluggish, and shooting feels...bad. "Variable" is the perfect word for it, because it fluctuates pretty wildly. When NHE is working correctly, it's amazing, but when it gets bad, I've never felt that level of muddiness playing on-off. They're probably sidestepping a lot of complaints from players by running on-off.

I can tell you from firsthand experience, adjusting to playing NHE against players that are already better than you can be extremely frustrating.

Edit: Also, some Xboxes are just straight up better than others, and testing them to see how fast they are is quite the process. Another reason why Dman's LANs in Virginia are so stellar. He's done all that, tested all the boxes, and only uses the best of the best. His level of preparation is truly incredible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

BRING THE INSTINCT JERSEYS PLEASE

not trying to bring you down but ive heard they're going to be under reciprocity.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll test all the Xboxes if they fly me in for free... Lol.

Seriously, the variable nature of certain xboxes will still be a bad thing in this tournament even if it's on off... You should be trying to pair certain xboxes against each other like devilman does.

I don't know if it's nhe that causes it to feel worse, would be interested to try nhe one day then on off the next day after they've cooled down and measure frame performance.

I want to go to UGC so bad so I can get double first rounded in CE. Who wants to sponsor me?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah the verbal ones, should never be used in competetive play imo. Hope Infinite only have item timers exposed to the player in social play if it has them.

I mean I can see where that thought comes from but people have been using verbal timers for CE for, well, basically forever. Desktop/phone apps, physical timers even that buzz lol I think I've seen everything. We've also just had a 5th man doing all of that during high level lan play for years too on top of other stuff. Really the only time you absolutely need to time things as a player is online play or just showing up to events with nobody but the 3 other players in game with you so I'm not sure its actually that big of a deal. Now obviously most players just kind of know things because we do spend a lot of time playing online but there have been teams who are notably bad online about power ups without someone coaching

When casting CE, I think they should follow 1 PoV at a time like the other Halos. Having all 4 PoV's shown at once isn't a good viewing experience imo. There's too much going on. Focus on one.

• Upvote (+1) 8

When casting CE, I think they should follow 1 PoV at a time like the other Halos. Having all 4 PoV's shown at once isn't a good viewing experience imo. There's too much going on. Focus on one.

I think show one whole screen so two players.

The reason it's not like that at beachlan is because we don't have a production crew manning the POVs.

I am a big fan of the quad view with proper casting myself but am biased because I'm sure CE players can interpret more of what's happens behind the scenes compared to viewers who have not played.

I think one TV perspective is better for the viewer but show both teammates POVs. There's too much important positioning and spawn control that be explained to the viewer rather than hidden.

The reason it's not like that at Beach LAN is that there are quite a bit of people who like the quad screen. Yeah, we don't have UGC's production but Devilman had it set up so we can easily switch from Quad POV, to a single team POV, and even to a single player POV where the webcam* is isolated on them, their perspective is the only one and the mic only picks up their voice. He had that set up for 8 man FFA's too which is insane. 

Most notably was last years Kush Cam where we zoomed in on him and he was just going nuts. Or when we zoomed in on Doodooshit in chill out oddball 4v4. He practically went cross-eyed trying to watch 3 screens.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The NHE team ended up removing the pistol spread entirely to help with the issue

Just to clarify...the spread was removed just cuz it was a good idea.  dds stated that he wanted to try it out long before nhe was ever a thing.  This was also discussed early on in the development of nhe however insidious was wholeheartedly against it.  Insidious was basically the project lead at that time so nobody pushed the issue.  It wasn't until insidious stopped work on nhe and dds learned how to do everything insidious had implemented did we give it a test run.

We honestly didn't know what to expect but it obviously turned out to be a good thing.  However it's so subtle a change that I don't think 90 percent of players would notice had they not been told.  A few blind tests were conducted and each time nobody noticed a difference.  Outside of those tests I also know of one person, who was very much against no spread, going to a lan and not realizing it wasn't there until somebody told him afterwards.  Anyways...that's my little no spread story :)

• Upvote (+1) 6

not trying to bring you down but ive heard they're going to be under reciprocity.

Im sad now

I think show one whole screen so two players.

The reason it's not like that at beachlan is because we don't have a production crew manning the POVs.

Ah, I see. Yeah, showing 2 PoV's for CE might be the ideal scenario. I just don't think quad is the way to go if we're trying to attract spectators.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do you hurt me like this?

I hate to say it but H1 tourneys will never have a ton of viewers, even with big prize pools, the Ogres, etc.  The pool of people who would casually watch H1 competitively is just way too low, the average Twitch user was a zygote when H1 was released.  You might as well keep it at 4 POVs, honestly. 

the main requirement is commentary.  when Patch/Skillz (pbuh) was streaming MCC H1, briefly, his in-depth explanations of everything that was going on were basically the most mind-blowing thing ever

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hate to say it but H1 tourneys will never have a ton of viewers, even with big prize pools, the Ogres, etc.  The pool of people who would casually watch H1 competitively is just way too low, the average Twitch user was a zygote when H1 was released.  You might as well keep it at 4 POVs, honestly. 

the main requirement is commentary.  when Patch/Skillz (pbuh) was streaming MCC H1, briefly, his in-depth explanations of everything that was going on were basically the most mind-blowing thing ever

Disagree on the viewers dude.  The twins peaked at ~1300 viewers combined only playing 4 matches in a random 2v2 online with literally no major announcement or anything.  If they were to actually compete at a proper LAN event with a decent amount of matches and time for the word to get out, I think you'd be surprised how many people tuned in.  

What times does it start tonight?

5pst/7cst/8est/1am gmt. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll test all the Xboxes if they fly me in for free... Lol.

Seriously, the variable nature of certain xboxes will still be a bad thing in this tournament even if it's on off... You should be trying to pair certain xboxes against each other like devilman does.

I don't know if it's nhe that causes it to feel worse, would be interested to try nhe one day then on off the next day after they've cooled down and measure frame performance.

I’ve been playing On-Off the last few days with NHE upgrades, and even off host feels smooth. I’ve never had the aiming issues I had on NHE. That’s why it’s always so jarring for me when I play ppl at major CE LANs. My opposition is already pushing me to my limit, but then I have to deal with completely different game feel on top of that. And those LANs are the only places I ever get to play NHE, so I can’t really prepare for it ahead of time.