CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

How many good teams are formed outside of GMS, Flame's team and Roy and Lunch's (no idea who their 3rd/4th are)? 

How many good teams are formed outside of GMS, Flame's team and Roy and Lunch's (no idea who their 3rd/4th are)? 

We haven't really seen many teams yet tbh.  I don't think Roy/Lunch have announced their other two (not even sure if they're playing this weekend).  Another of the "big" names is the Anaheim Pirates (Str8 Sick's team), but that may be just because of the lack of real competition present in the last qualifier. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rec(Snip3down, Ola, Saiyan, Trippey), & BtH(Cloud & Bubu, then idk what combo of Clutch, Maniac, Demon D, & Ryanoob) are two. BtH played as Cloud, Bubu, Ryanoob, Demon D in qualifiers and got knocked out by Flame's team.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think that works both ways though. Sure it's a different game, but the Ogres would be even more dominant on LAN on classic hardware.

The point being, you're right, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. However, to pretend for even a moment that the twins wouldn't be the favourite to win is absurd.

?? OG2 is roughly at parity with the other horsemen, OG1 has not played seriously in many years ... Patch/Legend could very well beat the twins, I dunno man

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Mcdick/jownz and patch/legend would be the favourites.

The ogres have barely played on NHE if at all which itself is way different from playing on/off. I still think they'd take 3rd spot but they could be upset if they had no practice on OG.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Anyway the timing of this UGC event for h1 sucks big time as it's the same weekend as the VA LAN which will have many of the top players already... It was booked months ago and dman has the best lan setup in the world so it'll be tough to pry people away from that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

?? OG2 is roughly at parity with the other horsemen, OG1 has not played seriously in many years ... Patch/Legend could very well beat the twins, I dunno man

Like I said, could they?  Sure.  But if you watched any of the 2v2 last night it's extremely obvious that they are still super dominant.  Watching and hearing how they communicate and move around the map together and what they were able to do solid CE players on "fake H1" (as 2 puts it), if you give them original hardware and put them together on LAN they'd be even better and I'm putting my money on the twins until a team shows me otherwise. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Like I said, could they? Sure. But if you watched any of the 2v2 last night it's extremely obvious that they are still super dominant. Watching and hearing how they communicate and move around the map together and what they were able to do solid CE players on "fake H1" (as 2 puts it), if you give them original hardware and put them together on LAN they'd be even better and I'm putting my money on the twins until a team shows me otherwise.

They literally play mcc nonstop, so they're gonna be better at MCC than they would be against people who ONLY play on nhe. The shooting and weapon sandbox are completely different in both games.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

They literally play mcc nonstop, so they're gonna be better at MCC than they would be against people who ONLY play on nhe. The shooting and weapon sandbox are completely different in both games.

Yes but the stuff like nade spots, spawns, positioning, communication, power ups/weapon control, are all the same.  The main difference is weapons/shooting which, even if it's on OG hardware on LAN, is going to be much to their favour because 1) regardless of how long it's been, they still have an insane amount of hours put in, it really won't take them long to get used to the weapons again assuming they ever got unused to them, and 2) Dan's playing from freaking Australia online.  Regardless of what game it is he'll shoot better on LAN.  

All this is a moot point because we're never going to see it.  Of course it's possible for them to lose, don't get me wrong, but all I'm saying is that until someone actually beats them at an event on LAN, they're still going to be my favourites to win said event. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Like I said, could they? Sure. But if you watched any of the 2v2 last night it's extremely obvious that they are still super dominant. Watching and hearing how they communicate and move around the map together and what they were able to do solid CE players on "fake H1" (as 2 puts it), if you give them original hardware and put them together on LAN they'd be even better and I'm putting my money on the twins until a team shows me otherwise.

they were dominant against MM randoms, to my knowledge they didn’t run up against any good players (?). anyway with a bunch of practice certainly the Ogres would do very well on LAN, but it’s not 2003 anymore. Ola will likely still be really good at H3 next month but it’s not 2010 anymore either

they were dominant against MM randoms, to my knowledge they didn’t run up against any good players (?). anyway with a bunch of practice certainly the Ogres would do very well on LAN, but it’s not 2003 anymore. Ola will likely still be really good at H3 next month but it’s not 2010 anymore either

That's true, although I think the guys they played in the finals are regarded as being really good at CE but I don't know for sure.  

there was a bit of drama with Frosty leaving for CoD, I guess (Snakebite just said on stream); I guess Frosty didn't tell the team he was leaving until just before Atlanta, and they all strongly advised him not to sign with any orgs, but he signed with E6 anyway?

That's true, although I think the guys they played in the finals are regarded as being really good at CE but I don't know for sure.  

No those 2 are not even top 25 players.

In regards to the overall discussion, I think the outcome of a series with Ogres vs Patch/Legend or really anyone in the top 10 or so would come down to who has been able to get the most practice in. I think Ogre 1 has gotten caught up on how halo 1's strategies have changed over the years so he would be just getting reacquainted with the feel and shooting of the original game. Also, Ogre 1 has no experience with Downrush afaik and I don't think Ogre 2 has been able to play it much since BL3. It would likely put them down 1 game in a series immediately (Assuming that map was played). I think Legend and Patch losing to McDick and Jownz this Beach Lan shows that practice is who decides the winner, not anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Rec(Snip3down, Ola, Saiyan, Trippey), & BtH(Cloud & Bubu, then idk what combo of Clutch, Maniac, Demon D, & Ryanoob) are two. BtH played as Cloud, Bubu, Ryanoob, Demon D in qualifiers and got knocked out by Flame's team.

How do you know Rec is a team?

Snakebite says his squad for the qualifier will be himself, aPG, lxthul, & Eco. Also says Eco will play both CoD, & Halo.

RIP the duo

Yes but the stuff like nade spots, spawns, positioning, communication, power ups/weapon control, are all the same. The main difference is weapons/shooting which, even if it's on OG hardware on LAN, is going to be much to their favour because 1) regardless of how long it's been, they still have an insane amount of hours put in, it really won't take them long to get used to the weapons again assuming they ever got unused to them, and 2) Dan's playing from freaking Australia online. Regardless of what game it is he'll shoot better on LAN.

All this is a moot point because we're never going to see it. Of course it's possible for them to lose, don't get me wrong, but all I'm saying is that until someone actually beats them at an event on LAN, they're still going to be my favourites to win said event.

They're not the same at all. Winning powerups in MCC is much different because everything ties in to weapon skill.

Like seriously, I'll hop on mcc and lose to people who barely play, then go lan with old halo 1 pros and beat them once in a while.

If the ogres went to a tournament I'm assuming they'd put some nhe practice in, so they wouldn't be slouches and they could still win. But saying they'd absolutely be the favourite is ignorant to the current Halo 1 LAN scene. Remember that ogre 2 and Harris would lose to patch and legend a couple years ago, and this is when Tom still practiced OG Halo a lot... And Dan only has mcc experience recently mostly against just good players or in 4s against noobs. Compared to players like mcdick who have been playing only nhe nonstop against the best of the best in Halo 1 currently for years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So, the pros know there's a qualifier tomorrow too right?  Looking through the teams and there isn't a single one that's of any note.  

So, the pros know there's a qualifier tomorrow too right?  Looking through the teams and there isn't a single one that's of any note.  

They know, this is Halo, where majority of the teams sign up last minute. Snakebite also said he's had trouble signing up through the UGC website and even has contacted UGC about it, so that's why you won't see that team on there yet.

Why isn't Royal 2 playing with Snake? 

@@Hard Way

I hope there is some stream and that Hardway gets the chance to cast. I told Matt that he was our Beach LAN caster.

I'm grateful for them taking the opportunity to run a Halo CE tournament. I've been talking with Matt for a while and he's been really supportive. It's unfortunate that this Halo CE 2v2 tournament takes place the same weekend as @Devilmans Virgina Beach LAN. We have about 30 people already committed to that including McDick. I'm not sure if anyone will back out to go to the UGC event or not. I'm just worried about the turn out for Halo CE because of this.

It makes sense to run this though on the side in conjunction with a Halo 3 event. We might be lucky enough to get another event with CE in the future but this particular one is just bad timing. Them wanting to play NHE and on OG equipment shows they're definitely interested in what the active community wants.

@vinny - people who barely play MCC still probably play more than "old Halo 1 pros". Those who went to those old school tournaments are seriously out of practice.

• Upvote (+1) 2