CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

To be perfectly candid Beyond has been operating Halo events for 5 years:  99% of these events were free to enter, featured cash prizing, with most of them being live streamed, not to mention working with major companies in the space like ASTRO Gaming, Elgato, DXRacer, (and one of my personal favorites: working with Gamestop to land TOX on the homepage of Gamestop.com) all of whom cross-promoted our Halo events to their large audiences on social media at the benefit of the Halo esports community and Beyond.

qYJLpKhg.png

Through our teams independent hard work (nobody running interference or speaking on our behalf to land partnerships) we were able to bring these brands into the Halo community and organically create money-making opportunities (by the thousands), while most others involved were being paid to be there. That entire time if you recall, we had Adam/MLG on the forums because they cared about the community - even though they weren't operating anything official, I respect that and can relate to the feeling of always having a connection to the scene no matter what.

The HCS/343 team reached out to certain Tournament organizers and content creators before they went live with their HCS Grassroots Program announcement - Beyond was not involved in any of these preliminary discussions and we were not aware of the announcement, which was disappointing, to say the least, but I suppose not entirely surprising. With Halo 5 esports being axed, MCC not having a spectator mode or api, and Beyond not being a LAN operator - applying seemed like it might not make sense.

Over the years I have reached out a fairly decent amount (most of the time with no avail) to work with 343/HCS, and to give them credit they have worked with us in the past to be placed on the front menu of MCC/Halo 5, and I am always grateful for those opportunities - but it also sparks even more curiosity around the grassroots announcement.

So to answer the question: will Beyond apply to the grassroots program. Doubtful. 

The Grassroots program has some great benefits, and I hope it works out for everyone involved. We are always open to a partnership, cross promotion, etc. but at this point, I think we are in a great place as far as prizing and promotion are concerned (of course prizing can always be increased, but you get the idea) - and on a personal note I think it is clear that we weren't contacted for a reason regarding the HCS Grassroots Program (whatever that may be, I am unsure). Regardless, I am excited to continue expanding Beyond into new territory with our team and tackle new challenges in esports.

P.S. I am always cooking up something for Halo though with the team   :simms: 

Would seem extremely hypocritical to not apply just because they didn't reach out to you personally before the Grassroots announcement.  

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Would seem extremely hypocritical to not apply just because they didn't reach out to you personally before the Grassroots announcement.  

Yeah, it totally would be, not really what I was saying though. That was sort of just the icing on the cake so to speak.

We are expanding into other games as I mentioned, and think we are in a solid place with our prizing and promotion, also as I mentioned, (prizing and promotion are the direct benefits of the grassroots program). With Halo 5 esports being axed, MCC not having a spectator mode or api, and Beyond not being a Halo LAN operator - applying doesn't really make much sense.

Beyond not being personally contacted was something that was noticed (notice I stated "on a personal note" and was not the sole reason driving our decision not to apply. 

I will probably edit my post to clarify this a bit though, as I can see that my wording/lack of detail in a sentence or two could potentially cause some confusion. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Totally random fun tidbit that I could always talk about, but never did because it obviously didnt happen:

I was working with Che and Josh Holmes on Beyond BR/Pistol skins in Halo 5. They departed the studio shortly after our discussions and it never happened - may have been staff bandwidth issues in there adding additional skins as well iirc.

Would have been cool though.

would have been dope. I hope that can happen in infinite
  • Upvote (+1) 2

In that case we’d end up banning a lot of people who may actually participate in the future, or even just someone who couldn’t find a full squad in time. We want to stay away from banning people, but rest assured we have methods in the works to take care of the issue.

We would only be banning them from the following tournament tho. So after that they would become eligible again

2)  Grenades.  There is an art to grenades that isn't present in CoD (especially BO4 considering most people don't even use them).  In Halo, a shitty grenader (like myself) will have a much tougher time in gunfights than someone who can consistently land grenades at the feet of enemies they're fighting.   

Trophy Systems are pretty important at top level CoD -- watch Apathy if/when he streams scrims.  Half his communication is centered around where enemy Trophies are/where his Trophy is.

Trophy Systems are pretty important at top level CoD -- watch Apathy if/when he streams scrims.  Half his communication is centered around where enemy Trophies are/where his Trophy is.

That's because the trophy system deflects more than just grenades.  Yes they're important, but not because grenades are necessarily great at the top level (at least in this CoD, they've been more important in the past but still nowhere near how important they are in Halo). 

The Ogres are signed up for tonight's CE 2v2 tournament!

Rat Race is in the map rotation and round two doesn't have what the third map in the rotation is listed.

F in the chat for whoever they face.  

For real though, if they actually get on and grind 2v2 even a tiny bit it's going to be GG.  I can't wait to see this. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Am having a stroke or the UGC site saying that the tournament doesn't start until 1 in the morning central time? 

https://www.ugcesports.gg/tournament/cd5022fd-36b9-445c-b2b0-61f1a323e458/teams

Edit:  OK looks like either they have an issue on their end or my computer bugged out.  It's 7pm cst according to their twitter.  That means it's 8pm eastern which would put it at 1am gmt (where I am right now).  Can't tell what happened because some tournaments have normal times (6pm cst) while other aren't starting until midnight cst.  

I mean, personally my standards are higher than dudes downing hotdogs, and no I don’t respect the craft hahaha. I think that’s where we differ. But yeah, it depends on your perception of “competitive”. I don’t think CoD’s main skill gap as you describe is intricate enough to claim as skillful. If it were on PC with less aim assist and all that, like CS or something, then I’d change my opinion. Still fun to watch though sometimes and I’m not undermining it’s success.

It's not undermining the game or leagues success, it undermines the players who compete and spend a lot of time and effort to be at the top of something that you can write off so easily as skilless. I am willing to talk about game mechanics when comparing stuff, but blanket statements are pointless. Everything @@Trespa5s wrote about the differences can be with comparing two halo titles next to each other, and done in a way that makes it look like one takes little skill.

It's just an extreme example of something that doesn't exactly take much skill and depth but is still done with such dominance. I don't think offering respect for someone else craft like that exactly has to do with standards as much as it would just being able to recognize that someone can be wildly better at a mundane task than others. I think if it were a matter of "standards" for skillful gameplay I wouldn't have spent countless years playing dead games solely because their mechanics were much more skillful than any other games at the time, like Black Ops or Reach.

Have you ever seen the show Unbeatable Banzuke? It was full of various challenges that took weird and random elements of skill. It would have random contestants as well as "pros" when it came to some of the obstacle courses where you went through them either on a bike, a pogo stick, or handstands. These are examples of things that might not exactly be the hardest thing in the world but were done with such extreme skill they can at least be respected.

So, I'm just wondering.. Are there any good places to go online that do Halo 3 4v4 or 2v2 Ladders? GB is kinda dead it seems, but I've been out of the scene for a while. It's possible I may be missing something. I'm so excited to see Halo coming back!

Whats up man? Are you still in Hoptacong? We LAN'd at your house in like 09 and that's probably the last time I saw you.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, it totally would be, not really what I was saying though. That was sort of just the icing on the cake so to speak.

We are expanding into other games as I mentioned, and think we are in a solid place with our prizing and promotion, also as I mentioned, (prizing and promotion are the direct benefits of the grassroots program). With Halo 5 esports being axed, MCC not having a spectator mode or api, and Beyond not being a Halo LAN operator - applying doesn't really make much sense.

Beyond not being personally contacted was something that was noticed (notice I stated "on a personal note" and was not the sole reason driving our decision not to apply. 

I will probably edit my post to clarify this a bit though, as I can see that my wording/lack of detail in a sentence or two could potentially cause some confusion. 

Just seems rather silly not to have Beyond be a part of the Grassroots initiative since your platform is literally what they are looking to support.  MCC not having a Spectator mode is indeed harmful to our scene, however it does not take away from the competitive spectator experience.  Console esports and Halo thrived last decade on the first three games without it, so it seems like a cop out answer to say that is what is stopping you guys now.  I do understand that Beyond has never been the home for classic competitive Halo and your staff has no interest in attempting to operate a LAN event, but let's be real here.  Is the lack of "api" a legitimate reason not to apply, or is just that a few people's egos and prides are hurt?  $90,000 for Halo 5 events was wonderful for that community, but now the devs are (for the first time ever?) willing to financially support and assist in other ways, social spaces like TB and you guys are gonna No Show it?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Just seems rather silly not to have Beyond be a part of the Grassroots initiative since your platform is literally what they are looking to support. MCC not having a Spectator mode is indeed harmful to our scene, however it does not take away from the competitive spectator experience. Console esports and Halo thrived last decade on the first three games without it, so it seems like a cop out answer to say that is what is stopping you guys now. I do understand that Beyond has never been the home for classic competitive Halo and your staff has no interest in attempting to operate a LAN event, but let's be real here. Is the lack of "api" a legitimate reason not to apply, or is just that a few people's egos and prides are hurt? $90,000 for Halo 5 events was wonderful for that community, but now the devs are (for the first time ever?) willing to financially support and assist in other ways, social spaces like TB and you guys are gonna No Show it?

If TB is "literally what they are looking to support" then why didn't they reach out to TB?

I think it would be nice if they applied and got in, but you can't blame them for choosing not to bother.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Could someone post the link to the grassroots program again? I really only heard about it through UGC's event but never looked into what it entailed. I didn't even realize that this was something where they reached out to people beforehand. Is it geared more towards these tournament organizers? Open LANs? MCC only?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Could someone post the link to the grassroots program again? I really only heard about it through UGC's event but never looked into what it entailed. I didn't even realize that this was something where they reached out to people beforehand. Is it geared more towards these tournament organizers? Open LANs? MCC only?

info here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/announcing-hcs-grassroots

------

Heads up for those attending Gamers For Giving 2019, it's in Ann Arbor (technically Ypsilanti) - NOT Ann Harbor as the article has had for the last month.

1fd2c1121771c2c27b48457fe95b912c.png

• Upvote (+1) 1