CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

His voice from the top 10 MLG plays is literally my first step into esports

lmao same, my introduction to competitive Halo was watching a Puckett Top 10 on Youtube in November 2008

• Upvote (+1) 1

H2 getting no love :(

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. 

CE has a major cult following, but the culture of H2 and H3 massively overlaps and it's easily conceivable that H3 would take precedence given how (relatively) similar of an experience they are. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

When did this shit go down. Last I knew there was some Halo 3 2V2 tourney in November. I couldn't find a match in hardcore for weeks. I get on yesterday for shits and giggles and the hardcore playlist is loaded. I knew something was up so came here to figure out. I feel like I have been blindsided is there an info on this other than dates.

When did this shit go down. Last I knew there was some Halo 3 2V2 tourney in November. I couldn't find a match in hardcore for weeks. I get on yesterday for shits and giggles and the hardcore playlist is loaded. I knew something was up so came here to figure out. I feel like I have been blindsided is there an info on this other than dates.

They announced a big 4v4 H3 LAN during the H5 Dreamhack event (which the H3 2v2 was running alongside).  

It's in St Louis, being run by UGC and there's already 96 team passes sold with them opening it up to 128 max.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

They announced a big 4v4 H3 LAN during the H5 Dreamhack event (which the H3 2v2 was running alongside).  

It's in St Louis, being run by UGC and there's already 96 team passes sold with them opening it up to 128 max.  

@@BanditOH tl;dr yes, recently and all over twitter and twitch

from the tournament/announcement to now i've seen hundreds of halo3 clips shared 

Rant time. I despise the term "classic Halo" because it's a super nebulous term that glosses over the fact almost every single Halo released has been fundamentally different than its predecessor. To the point where you can basically only define it by your literal movement. Like "no sprint". Which is funny when I've also seen people define Reach as part of this "classic Halo" moniker. And again, more so funny with how each game varies in playstyle due to how weapons are balanced, for example. Halo 2 and 3 share a sandbox for the most part and play hilariously differently due to how both BRs function. Let alone the fact CE plays radically differently to any and every Halo after it. But they share the moniker of classic based on... What. The movement? Is that really all we need to be classic? Is everything else irrelevant as long as you can't run? 

This tweet bothers me when it glosses over how (AGAIN), Halo 3 has an improperly functioning weapon. I can get disliking Halo 5. It's a very exhausting game to get into for long periods for most of the Halo audience. Burnout's basically acceptable and a given. And while this tweet was prefaced with "for fun" with how he gamed, it is baffling to, and doesn't really strike an objective chord with me that someone can prefer and vouch for a game where every gunfight you're in can maybe fuck you over when you do everything right, even on LAN. To the point where MLG had to modify damage settings to try and alleviate consistency, and it still isn't 100%. No matter how much one can argue you can "mitigate" spread, or lead your shots, it will never be 100%. As a competitive player, how can you vouch for that. Your livelihood depends on this shit, lol. How can you vouch for something that can cost you a championship, was intentionally coded into the game, and has never been fixed, just because you happen to enjoy that one game more. Halo 5 may be exhausting, and flawed, but it was at least, at its best, consistent, with most of its inconsistency (Ghost melees, blank shots, the like) being unintentional byproducts that were at least pushed for a fix. 

On a related tangent to that. I watched a few games of the 2v2 Showdown. It was great watching a game go 19-24 on Guardian, and seeing the 25th kill by yanked away because of a bloodshot, or spread. Totally great. Or watching Flamesword get royally 4'ed by some dude on Midship he was five bursts up on because his BR absolutely couldn't hit shit consistently in CQC, and somehow missed in RRR. On LAN. 

But the idea's just dumbly general. Yeah, Halo 3 has simplistic movement, and might be more casually accessible, and to a point, I do like the idea of that, but you can't actually tell me it's better because of that when I can't do what the game is designed for on a consistent basis. Gunfighting with someone. To me, that post reeks of nostalgia, even if one somehow denies it. Because it completely ignores that in favor of the fun factor of a game (That can vary by person), while shooting down another game due to unenjoyment and personal burnout, which can also vary, and isn't really a good method of criticism or praise. Ya can't tell me this isn't nostalgia when this is the most unobjective post. And you can make objective strings of text on Twitter, lol.

"Classic" Halo is a stupid term. It's too nebulous, can vary hardcore just by viewpoint, and by proxy shuts out multiple other games and what they may have done right over the "classic" ones, which is hilariously biased. Classic Halo can and does absolutely suck in some cases, lol. I hate the idea that it somehow can't suck compared to the later titles, or is put on a pedestal that makes it harder to criticize without backlash. Would rather just judge each game based on its merits and try to pool them into a better product later than lumping a ton of shit together and calling it good. Halo 3 being "classic" does not make it better than Halo 5. It being more enjoyable does not make it better. It being better is the only thing that can make it better. Enjoy Halo 3 all you want, but the fact you played it for six hours and had fun is not an objective argument to the idea it is better than what you don't like. And I'm not even fighting for Halo 5 here.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 17

Thanks guys. Wish it wasn't such quick turnaround for so many people that have been out of the scene so long.

That 128 should sell fast probably way before I could get a squad put together.

I am beyond excited to have Halo 3 back. Hopping on twitch and seeing a bunch of the old names back, all the clips and hype filling my Twitter feed!! I'm really contemplating driving my old ass up to STL for the FFA. Feels good fellas, feels real good.

I am beyond excited to have Halo 3 back. Hopping on twitch and seeing a bunch of the old names back, all the clips and hype filling my Twitter feed!! I'm really contemplating driving my old ass up to STL for the FFA. Feels good fellas, feels real good.

I think this is one of the main things that may be overshadowed is the amount of older "am" players that this is going to surface. Playing last night it was cool to see some familiar names that I haven't seen in a decade.

I think you're taking a deliberately non-charitable interpretation of what he's saying, or assuming it's a far more loaded statement than it actually is. It's perfectly valid that a person might despise all the trendy, superfluous bullshit crammed into the last three iterations of Halo to a greater degree than they do the shitty netcode of H3; I don't think that they're equating "classic Halo" with bloodshots. Let's also remember that almost all of the H2 pros are gone, and most people - for better or for worse - will gravitate back toward what they know. 

I don't think it's fair to say that the phrase "classic Halo" is ambiguous. Rather concretely, it's a reference to the golden triangle representing nearly the entirety of the experience, where advanced mobility and CoD-flavored garbage (perks, loadouts, etc.) are not a part of the equation. 

It's not really non-charitable. The man says "classic Halo" is better in a super broad way based on playtime and enjoyment. My entire rant was saying that speaking broadly and with fun over objectivity in mind, while speaking on how one side is "better" is stupid, and how I feel classic Halo's definition ties into that. It's not really assuming it's loaded. It's actually just going in depth into the claim and what it would consist of, and again, why I find the broadness to be dumb.

And the "golden triangle" exists, and also highly varies and is inconsistent between the three first titles, lol. If the phrase "classic Halo" refers to guns, grenades, and melee, Halo 4's Legendary settings fit that to a tee, being guns, grenades, and melee. I just find it funny that the addition of sprint is what kills it, and somehow the ability for your gun to kill shit isn't a part of that. As long as it's just there, it's the "golden triangle", and somehow classic, even if it's garbage, which tied into my other point I should've emphasized. "Classic" implies superior. High quality. Outstanding. Something you want to go back to. What I never want to go back to is literally Halo 3's BR. That isn't, or shouldn't be considered "classic", lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 14

It's not really non-charitable. The man says "classic Halo" is better in a super broad way based on playtime and enjoyment. My entire rant was saying that speaking broadly and with fun over objectivity in mind, while speaking on how one side is "better" is stupid, and how I feel classic Halo's definition ties into that. It's not really assuming it's loaded. It's actually just going in depth into the claim and what it would consist of, and again, why I find the broadness to be dumb.

And the "golden triangle" exists, and also highly varies and is inconsistent between the three first titles, lol. If the phrase "classic Halo" refers to guns, grenades, and melee, Halo 4's Legendary settings fit that to a tee, being guns, grenades, and melee. I just find it funny that the addition of sprint is what kills it, and somehow the ability for your gun to kill shit isn't a part of that. As long as it's just there, it's the "golden triangle", and somehow classic, even if it's garbage, which tied into my other point I should've emphasized. "Classic" implies superior. High quality. Outstanding. Something you want to go back to. What I never want to go back to is literally Halo 3's BR. That isn't, or shouldn't be considered "classic", lol.

It really isn't debatable that the first and second trilogies have cohesive philosophies that make them distinct from each other. H1, H2, and H3 are far more similar to each other than any of them share characteristics with Reach, H4, and H5, and vice versa. I don't think it's tenable to claim that "classic Halo" doesn't carry distinction just because H1 has some differences to H2, which has some differences to H3, etc. 

You're also basing part of your contention on the fact that you, yourself, think that H3's broken BR makes it an objectively inferior game to H5. Clearly, some people disagree with that. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

I don't like the term classic because it implies things like archaic, aged, dated, not-modern etc. It really sounds like a "back in my day" thing where people can't let go of the past, when in reality people just want a game built on a solid foundation without any superfluous bullshit like ADS, Sprint and the superman abilities crammed in there.

I'd love to just call it proper Halo or real Halo, but that sounds super douchey and arrogant.

• Upvote (+1) 5