CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

I can't believe people take cod seriously. It's such a fucking joke. 

this was true during h3 when mlg started running side events for cod and gears but now those are bigger and better than halo. i can only hope that infinite revives the scene the way blops4 has done for cod

I can't believe people take cod seriously. It's such a fucking joke.

COD isn't the most 100% "Esports friendly" title but to 99% of the general public, it 100% is perfect.

H3 WILL NOT bring the crowd COD can. That is the hard pill.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Used to be a joke. Now it’s arguably the biggest console esport.

Can’t hate on the success they’ve had recently. They’ve put out some lackluster titles imo, but from an esports perspective they’re absolutely killing it.

Halo 4 takes more techskill and brains than CoD could ever bring to the table.

COD isn't the most 100% "Esports friendly" title but to 99% of the general public, it 100% is perfect.

H3 WILL NOT bring the crowd COD can. That is the hard pill.

Halo 3 at least brings in high tier intellectuals to the venue and not the bottom feeders of humanity who play games any 4 year old can play. Halo 3 still has a moderate learning curve. People literally play CoD because it's easy, not because it's challenging 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 10

this was true during h3 when mlg started running side events for cod and gears but now those are bigger and better than halo. i can only hope that infinite revives the scene the way blops4 has done for cod

Talk to me when a game like MW2 comes out again. Blackout is actually sick but blops 4s multiplayer is atrocious with all of It's cheese. 2 console games. Halo and smash. Everything else is shovelware

What happened to all the hype? Strange.

I dont think online tournaments have ever been Halos thing  :mj:

We just spent the last half decade playing with Halo 5 and 4. I don't think we can throw stones in that regard.

Halo 5 and 4 still takes more brains than MW1, blops2, or blops 4 put together 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Blops4 looks so much like titanfall

not sure why people are hating on this, the movement / gunplay / grappling hook feel a LOT like titanfall (though titanfall was copying CoD in the first place)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 and 4 still takes more brains than MW1, blops2, or blops 4 put together 

I don't think anyone is arguing that CoD is harder than Halo, but if you watched any of the BO4 tournament this past weekend (especially OpTics Sunday matches) it was absolutely nuts.  It's more than just the skill of the game, it's also the excitement of a team coming back from 100 points down in a Hardpoint (KOTH) match, or when Dashy completely turned on people.  Sure Halo takes more skill, but there was probably more hype games this past weekend than there was in all of H5 (and that's coming from someone who actually likes H5). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

not sure why people are hating on this, the movement / gunplay / grappling hook feel a LOT like titanfall (though titanfall was copying CoD in the first place)

To be fair, Titanfall was the first to do the advanced movement thing, and it feels a ton like CoD because it's the old CoD4/MW2 dev team. 

also if high-level CoD is so easy, then why did (most of) the best Halo team place 256th this weekend?  I agree that at the pub level CoD is garbage but the game takes skill

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm not sure why participants didn't bother to fill their rosters. The tournament sold out quickly at launch, and seemed to have a lot of hype.

https://twitter.com/BeyondJoseph/status/1072170895861440514

As someone who has been running these tournaments with the team here for 4+ years ($90,000+ just in Halo prizes), it's weird to see that Halo still struggle to fill their teams after so much time on this platform. We don't run into these issues with Rocket League or Call of Duty when they have their monthly tournaments.

We'll have to brainstorm and think of other ways to help out the Halo community for 2019, we do love classic Halo and want the momentum to continue.

So what you’re saying is Halo kids are actually idiots? I mean, fair enough to that. I’m a real douche sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 4 takes more techskill and brains than CoD could ever bring to the table.

Halo 3 at least brings in high tier intellectuals to the venue and not the bottom feeders of humanity who play games any 4 year old can play. Halo 3 still has a moderate learning curve. People literally play CoD because it's easy, not because it's challenging

Although in the past I would agree with your statement of CoD being easy, I think the crowds flock to this game simply because it’s FUN. Something Halo has lacked for a long time now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So what you’re saying is Halo kids are actually idiots? I mean, fair enough to that. I’m a real douche sometimes.

Not idiots, but I think being forgetful or just flat out lazy is a big factor here. If you can create an account, find the tournament, make a team with a custom team name, you can for sure invite (1) person to your roster. No excuse. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

kTF4_tIO_400x400.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not idiots, but I think being forgetful or just flat out lazy is a big factor here. If you can create an account, find the tournament, make a team with a custom team name, you can for sure invite (1) person to your roster. No excuse. 

From personal experience Ive had teammates not show up to events. A lot of the community is all talk online and no show later.

also if high-level CoD is so easy, then why did (most of) the best Halo team place 256th this weekend?  I agree that at the pub level CoD is garbage but the game takes skill

I was wondering this as well. Best Halo 5 pro player placement was Frosty but he was surrounding by a much more veteran squad. For Halo pros to transfer they need to surround themselves with good CoD pros and develop like Enable and Formal did. 

I was wondering this as well. Best Halo 5 pro player placement was Frosty but he was surrounding by a much more veteran squad. For Halo pros to transfer they need to surround themselves with good CoD pros and develop like Enable and Formal did. 

For sure not as "easy" as some suggest. Scump, for example, is just playing on another level. The reaction time and quick decision making is just insanity to witness. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

For sure not as "easy" as some suggest. Scump, for example, is just playing on another level. The reaction time and quick decision making is just insanity to witness. 

Exactly. Also why OGRE2 didn't dominate or necessarily do "well" in CoD when he transferred over. It has its own skill just like any other modern esport. 

Also missed y'all <3 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't think CoD and Halo are as similar as people think. In fact, I think they're super different.

From personal experience Ive had teammates not show up to events. A lot of the community is all talk online and no show later.

Which is what sort of worries me about the UMG event. But like, those passes aren't cheap so hopefully it all works out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is what sort of worries me about the UMG event. But like, those passes aren't cheap so hopefully it all works out.

ugc* but yeah me too. I think a lot of people bought passes on the dream of being an h3 pro but arent willing to put in the work and effort to even form a squad, much less practice and fly in. Im fully expecting to see a good number of passes trying to be resold come early january. Though I hope i am wrong. There were 120 people at the dh 2v2 and the first 64 ppl showed up