CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

*source needed

but yeah, I’d believe beta in late 2019 and launch spring 2020

My money is on beta late summer/early fall with a release in November.  Would still be 4 years of dev time and wouldn't completely ignore their game for 2 years.  However the fall beta with spring launch with be cool with me as well.  

Historically:

Teaser/Reaveal: 2 years before release.

Gameplay/"In-engine" reveal: E3, year before release

Multiplayer gameplay: Within 1 year before release (E3 of release year usually)

Beta/Demo: Within 6 months of release.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If that's true I think someone needs to get their head examined over there.  I understand taking their time but 5 years is just ridiculous between titles, ESPECIALLY if they're done with 5 for competitive. Maybe we see something else next year then, with Infinite coming in 2020?

I don't think it's that much of a surprise, given the fact that:

• so many man-hours have gone into getting MCC to where it's at right now which has more than likely affected Infinite's timeline
  • they aren't just working on a new game but a new engine (slipspace) - although I can't say I actually know what that entails, I imagine it takes more time than if they hadn't built a new engine
  • there has been speculation that H6/Infinite was scrapped partway through its initial development and they started again fresh for whatever reason. Maybe because of feedback received about H5, idk. Just speculation

Not trying to justify everything they've done up to this point because I agree, 5 years is way too long. But it's not like they've been working 100% on Infinite since H5 was released.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be honest, I would be fine with waiting till 2021 if it meant we get a fully functioning Halo title complete with a replayable campaign, robust multiplayer with all gametypes and a good ranking + progression system, firefight, forge, an improved theatre mode, and loads of content at launch.

If launching Infinite in 2019 means we get another Halo 5, I’d rather wait.

1)  What defines a "replayable campaign"?  One that you enjoy?   I'll admit H5's was weak but just say you want a better campaign because anything can be replayable. 

2)  I concede on the gametypes, but the ranking system itself is fine, it's the algorithm that was busted, and they've been working on that and it's gotten much better (I'm actually enjoying ranked even now).  I'm not sure what you mean by progression since there's an SR system, unless you mean unlocks for reaching levels in which case OK.  If they would fix the bugs theater would be fine.  I admit forge was a misstep, but it was barely a month after launch that we got forge.  It should have been at launch, but I'll take waiting a month over waiting a year. 

I don't think it's that much of a surprise, given the fact that:

• so many man-hours have gone into getting MCC to where it's at right now which has more than likely affected Infinite's timeline
  • they aren't just working on a new game but a new engine (slipspace) - although I can't say I actually know what that entails, I imagine it takes more time than if they hadn't built a new engine
  • there has been speculation that H6/Infinite was scrapped partway through its initial development and they started again fresh for whatever reason. Maybe because of feedback received about H5, idk. Just speculation

Not trying to justify everything they've done up to this point because I agree, 5 years is way too long. But it's not like they've been working 100% on Infinite since H5 was released.

I'm fairly sure they said that the MCC team was a different team than the Infinite group so it shouldn't have an effect, but yea I give them an extra year because of the engine.  

I mean, you could say the same about CE-2 or 2-3 or 4-5, but they all got done in a 3 year cycle.  An extra year because you can rely on MCC for events? Sure.  2 years? it's starting to get dangerous. 

CoD's been holding nearly 100k viewers without optic on stream. Pretty impressive ngl

160k grand final right now on twitch alone

Blops bringing CoD back?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Historically:

Teaser/Reaveal: 2 years before release.

Gameplay/"In-engine" reveal: E3, year before release

Multiplayer gameplay: Within 1 year before release (E3 of release year usually)

Beta/Demo: Within 6 months of release.

for sure, this is why I figure spring 2020 (teaser was in early June 2018); E3 2019 will be the big reveal.

I realize that previous entries in the series were released in Fall but there's no compelling reason to do this again

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) What defines a "replayable campaign"? One that you enjoy? I'll admit H5's was weak but just say you want a better campaign because anything can be replayable.

2) I concede on the gametypes, but the ranking system itself is fine, it's the algorithm that was busted, and they've been working on that and it's gotten much better (I'm actually enjoying ranked even now). I'm not sure what you mean by progression since there's an SR system, unless you mean unlocks for reaching levels in which case OK. If they would fix the bugs theater would be fine. I admit forge was a misstep, but it was barely a month after launch that we got forge. It should have been at launch, but I'll take waiting a month over waiting a year.

Replayable, as in, campaign scoring and timing with in-game leaderboards that make playing the campaign multiple times over fun and worthwhile.

A good progression system, as in, exp tied to wins as opposed to just playing a lot and tied to playlists/gametype (basically H3’s progression). Also not just boring fucking numbers, but actual military ranks.

I’m currently filling a notebook with all the things I wanna see in Infinite beyond just gameplay mechanics, which I believe will foster a growing community and bring in new people to franchise as well as bringing old players back. The list I gave was just a general outline.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Off topic or maybe on topic seeing others posts but Optic just had an insane comeback in game 1 of cod grand finals.

They completely shit on Eunited at the end of that game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

160k grand final right now on twitch alone

Blops bringing CoD back?

Has a lot to do with OpTic too.  New roster, the GOAT of CoD is back, so fans are super hyped.  Yes, BO4 is good for competitive though. 

Off topic or maybe on topic seeing others posts but Optic just had an insane comeback in game 1 of cod grand finals.

They completely shit on Eunited at the end of that game.

They did the exact same thing on the exact same map earlier today to Splyce too. Nuts.

Has a lot to do with OpTic too.  New roster, the GOAT of CoD is back, so fans are super hyped.  Yes, BO4 is good for competitive though. 

Even when Optic's not on stream, the numbers are still huge. BO4 is just a much better spectator experience than the last few CoDs, especially WW2.

OpTic CoD making a statement with that win.  Glad to see them pull it off after last years shit-show.  

OpTic CoD making a statement with that win.  Glad to see them pull it off after last years shit-show.  

Same. Optic and Scump got so much shit and they really were one of the worst teams in WW2, but seeing them come out and be so dominant this tournament was pretty cool.

oh so irrelevant CoD discussion gets upvote in the HCS thread but my irrelevant siege hype doesn't.

i wish halo didn't suck so that this didn't happen

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 6

A major Halo title releasing in the spring?  :ace:

I feel like a spring release would be best for Halo, at least for Infinite.. I know publishers want to cash in on the holiday cash flow, but I don't believe Halo as a franchise is in the same weight class as the other AAA shooters that release around that time, especially with most of those being more stable than Halo is. Don't want a situation where a gem of a game gets smothered and lost between games that might be inferior just because the name doesn't pack the same punch that it used to (Like Titanfall 2). 

Also, ideally we get a trailer @ E3 with a fall beta with a spring 2020 release. 

Oh, I forgot to hit multiquote but I just wanted to say: Black Ops 4 is good and I'm enjoying it, but it's not half the game that Titanfall 2 is. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like a spring release would be best for Halo, at least for Infinite.. I know publishers want to cash in on the holiday cash flow, but I don't believe Halo as a franchise is in the same weight class as the other AAA shooters that release around that time, especially with most of those being more stable than Halo is. Don't want a situation where a gem of a game gets smothered and lost between games that might be inferior just because the name doesn't pack the same punch that it used to (Like Titanfall 2). 

Also, ideally we get a trailer @ E3 with a fall beta with a spring 2020 release. 

Oh, I forgot to hit multiquote but I just wanted to say: Black Ops 4 is good and I'm enjoying it, but it's not half the game that Titanfall 2 is. 

I'm not adverse to a spring release, but I feel like a fall release next year would be the best.  Battlefield released this year which means EA is gonna try to push out another Battlefront game to flop, and CoD goes back to Infinity Ward for next year (which has struggled their last 2 titles, but might become scary if they bring out MW4).  

E3 is in June so maybe have the beta in early August with an early November release date? 

I'm fairly sure they said that the MCC team was a different team than the Infinite group so it shouldn't have an effect, but yea I give them an extra year because of the engine.

I mean, you could say the same about CE-2 or 2-3 or 4-5, but they all got done in a 3 year cycle. An extra year because you can rely on MCC for events? Sure. 2 years? it's starting to get dangerous.

I think you can rely on the hype for the next game the year before it’s release. Sure, MCC events and excitement will die down eventually, but I think we’ll start to see more Infinite intel around that time. That should keep the community engaged until launch.