CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

So I know it was mentioned in passing a few times on the streams I was watching but in the future could we get better series layouts for UGC stuff? That was a large reason teams were sort of making their own series lengths and map/gametype rotations among themselves

Agreed.  1) No reason to ever have BO3s, especially if they're going to start the even that early.  The entire thing was played by Flames team with half BO5s and it only took like 4.5 hours.  FFS it's only 8pm on the east coast right now, no reason it couldn't have been BO5 all the way with a BO7 final if there's only going to be 64 teams.  2)  Halo has always had shitty series layouts.  BO5 should  be CTF-Slayer-KOTH/BALL-CTF-Slayer, with not being able to play the same map twice in a row (but you may play the same one twice in a series). 

also I’ve seen a lot of streamers play against Shele and friends in recent weeks, who placed 3rd ... who are those guys?

also I’ve seen a lot of streamers play against Shele and friends in recent weeks, who placed 3rd ... who are those guys?

Dude had a play in Pucket’s Top Ten as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When I was able to watch his stream, Neighbor was doing really well. Very patient, rarely overextending, and letting kills come to him. 

I think the game mode "Control" in Black Ops 4 could work in a game like Halo 2/H2A. Historically limited respawns in Halo has never really worked though.

I think the game mode "Control" in Black Ops 4 could work in a game like Halo 2/H2A. Historically limited respawns in Halo has never really worked though.

Personally I'm not a fan of the limited lives because it eventually just turns into TDM for the second point.  I think Overwatch did it better with 2CP.  That would be amazing to watch in CoD or Halo. 

Personally I'm not a fan of the limited lives because it eventually just turns into TDM for the second point. I think Overwatch did it better with 2CP. That would be amazing to watch in CoD or Halo.

.. that's just a round-based, boring as fuck version of KoTH.

• Upvote (+1) 1

.. that's just a round-based, boring as fuck version of KoTH.

Then you've never watched two OWL teams play 2CP.  It gets absolutely insane.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Then you've never watched two OWL teams play 2CP. It gets absolutely insane.

I have hundreds of hours in OW and I have watched a decent amount of OWL.

Of course it gets "insane", but not because the gametype is inherently interesting or good, it's because OW is "team up and hold forward to win" - the game. There's always action and ult cheese, but if the hill actually required people to stand in it and moved around the map it would be 100x more interesting. Gametypes (aside from Arcade gametypes which are actually interesting) are OWs weakest aspect right next to the bland level design.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys. I wrote a paper about my opinion on HCS Grassroots and how I think we should be doing things with it. I was wondering if you could read it and let me know what you think. https://docs.google.com/document/d/14dZLjGJoW9uEGb9XfYzE-829YrGLVeMm-PGAQ1OeQWk/edit?usp=sharing

You make some good points, but a couple of things to mention:

1)  We have 2 events so far, and it's looking quite obvious that MLG is going to do something.  Keep in mind that we're also right at the holiday season, so there probably won't be anything being done until the new year and if they're going to stick with H3 for a while we'll probably get some info either during or around the time of St Louis. 

2)  I sincerely doubt we'll have to wait 2 more years for infinite.  We're already at 3 years for H5 (which is already the longest we've gone without a new game), and almost doubling that would be insane.  Obviously it's all speculation, but my money is on a big E3 announcement with the game dropping next fall (meaning we only have to survive a year with classic Halo events as opposed to 2).

The grassroots program needs to be extremely liberal with who they choose to allow.  The whole point is to support people that don't have the means to run events, and to show off the content creation side for people that are passionate about Halo.  You can't just let it be the big name Halo streamers because then it just becomes a rich-get-richer situation.  As long as they support the smaller events and content creators, I'm confident things will be done to hold us through to Infinite.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Me waiting for our favorite pro players to turn on their Halo 3 streams

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

2)  I sincerely doubt we'll have to wait 2 more years for infinite.  We're already at 3 years for H5 (which is already the longest we've gone without a new game), and almost doubling that would be insane.  Obviously it's all speculation, but my money is on a big E3 announcement with the game dropping next fall (meaning we only have to survive a year with classic Halo events as opposed to 2).

FWIW, Tashi told the pros at the players meeting in DH ATL that Infinite wasn't coming until 2020.

I think best case scenario we get an announcement at E3 and a beta by next fall.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Frosty out in round 9 of CWL open bracket, better than placing top 256 I guess ...

FWIW, Tashi told the pros at the players meeting in DH ATL that Infinite wasn't coming until 2020.

I think best case scenario we get an announcement at E3 and a beta by next fall.

Gonna need a big ol’ source on that one

*source needed

but yeah, I’d believe beta in late 2019 and launch spring 2020

A major Halo title releasing in the spring?  :ace:

• Upvote (+1) 1

If that's true I think someone needs to get their head examined over there.  I understand taking their time but 5 years is just ridiculous between titles, ESPECIALLY if they're done with 5 for competitive. Maybe we see something else next year then, with Infinite coming in 2020?