CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

You took a vague description and turned it into a real video.  That was on fucking point mang.  Yes, that’s the map I was talking about.  Opticon.  Who made it?

11 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I would like to see "guaranteed loss" though. So if it's 1 flag CTF and they have 2 and 0 and there's on round left, it just doesn't play the round. There's no point going 2 - 1. Personal preference.

For sure. Ever since H3 I've hated either being up or down 2-0 and having to play a meaningless round. Honestly that should be incredibly easy to implement, it's frustrating that they haven't bothered so far.

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You took a vague description and turned it into a real video.  That was on fucking point mang.  Yes, that’s the map I was talking about.  Opticon.  Who made it?

Salty Koala Bear.  I totally forgot about this map.  Only found it because you mentioned him.

• Fire (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

LOL that reminds me of the Cabal spheres in Destiny 2... so many nightmares of those things dropping on my head (back when I still played the game)

27 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I would like to see "guaranteed loss" though. So if it's 1 flag CTF and they have 2 and 0 and there's on round left, it just doesn't play the round. There's no point going 2 - 1. Personal preference.

When one flag was briefly a gametype in V1/V2 Reach MLG, they did two rounds and each round was a set 5 minutes long, and you captured as many flags as you could in that time frame (a cap did not end the round). The only problem there is that if the game ended in a tie there was no good, objectively fair way to resolve it. Which is probably why the flags were placed in weak spots on Countdown and Reflection (at rockets and bottom window side [don't remember the callout] respectively) and offense spawned in the maps' power positions, to inflate the amount of scoring opportunities and make it less likely that both teams would land on the same number.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

So... 2v2 KotH?

No. KotH and Strongholds are different gametypes, even when there's only one stronghold, and that difference is significant.

Just now, Hard Way said:

No. KotH and Strongholds are different gametypes, even when there's only one stronghold, and that difference is significant.

So hill where you need to capture it first, then not hold it?

1 minute ago, Larry Sizemore said:

When one flag was briefly a gametype in V1/V2 Reach MLG, they did it so that each round was a set 5 minutes long, and you captured as many flags as you could in that time frame. The only problem there is that if the game ended in a tie there was no good way to resolve it. Which is probably why the flags were placed in weak spots on Countdown and Reflection (at rockets and bottom window side [don't remember the callout] respectively) and offense spawned in the maps' power positions, to inflate the score a little bit and make it less likely that both teams would land on the same number.

Interesting concept but I've never been a fan of the infinite score vs time limit game types because the snowballing can lead to 20 minutes of one team getting steamrolled with no way out (In Multi CTF for example it can end in a steam roll after 3 caps).

Flag Slayer is still one of my favourites. 50 points for flag cap, 1 point for kill. First to 250.

34 minutes ago, Boyo said:

So hill where you need to capture it first, then not hold it?

Yes. Why do I have to explain gametypes to people?

4 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Interesting concept but I've never been a fan of the infinite score vs time limit game types because the snowballing can lead to 20 minutes of one team getting steamrolled with no way out (In Multi CTF for example it can end in a steam roll after 3 caps).

Flag Slayer is still one of my favourites. 50 points for flag cap, 1 point for kill. First to 250.

It should be played in two rounds with a score limit of let's say 3. When the score limit is reached, the timer stops and the sides change. The new attackers have to get 3 caps faster than the other team did. 

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, OG Nick said:

I have 0 faith in the new engine doing much in terms of hit reg. 343 hasn't proven they can make hit reg not cheeks

343 hasn't proven they can fucking Code. I feel they cycle and spin assets around while they use a documented obsolete engine to haphazardly Lego piece a Product together like they're drag and drop rearranging a template in Unreal 4

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Basu said:

It should be played in two rounds with a score limit of let's say 3. When the score limit is reached, the timer stops and the sides change. The new attackers have to get 3 caps faster than the other team did. 

I could get on board with that.

21 hours ago, Boyo said:

Bloom works great, when you’re hipfiring an LMG in Call of Battlefield not when you’re firing your utility weapon in Halo.  It’s not bloom’s fault someone put him somewhere he wasn’t supposed to be.  Don’t blame bloom.  

Fuck No. Give me My Laser Machine Gun. Any day of the Millennium. Any Spread can Die in Hell. use static kickback

Fortnite made me feel this way            Just fucking kidding Far Cry 2 did

tighten those bullets and make it projectile. Make them hover like bees if you have to

I don't even fucking like hitscan anymore. Because every communist developer feels forced to shove a bunch of RNG into any sort of Hit Scan Formula. I don't care if the first shot is accurate. I have to keep fucking firing don't I? what fucking legitimacy is it when He fucking gets a random Accuracy treasure surprise when I'm stuck firing off Screen for 5 rounds straight. God No.

instead of having a spastic inflating reticle where shots randomly project in it's wide space without consistency, why not make firing consistent and linear with Travel time but completely remove any Reticle at all so even though your sniper hipfire doesn't direct off screen you still need to slightly lead and build a directional muscle memory with the center of the screen unless you use aim down your gun.

The point is to not Force everyone to ADS all the time but to give people some actual HipFire accessibility confidence without having to Accuracy exam flail a pointer all around that doesn't have any cohesion. hip fire isn't supposed to be accurate but don't need to shove the tactile inconsistency in people's face. Guns just feel like shit half the time. Fact.

Have you ever played a Shoot Gun game because I feel like I've played a Crosshair Twitching Dancing all over a screen most of my life

Playing Far Cry 5 and I can walk up to thing and Point blank a HipFire Shotgun Shell into it and they'll fucking eat 3 of them. Pellets go fucking everywhere any which way like I'm throwing grain sand at it. I walk around and just happen to line that random reticle RNG focus shot and I literally one hit someones head at 2x the distance with a single pellet. CUZ HEADSHOTS SO IMPOЯTANT JUST SHAKE UR MOUSE AND GAMBLE FOR HIT DETECTION.

Makes me crave That classic Resident Evil Gameplay. Let me point in a General Direction. Blow a Fucking loaded shell into 4 zombies and watch them melt on the floor. Thank you

• Upvote (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Vyrst said:

hip fire isn't supposed to be accurate but don't need to shove the tactile inconsistency in people's face. Guns just feel like shit half the time. Fact.

Depends on the game, I like my railgun in Quake to be 100% accurate always hitting point blank no matter if I zoom or not. The zoom is purely for long range shots since I play with 110 FOV and it lets me set my zoom FOV myself to something I feel comfortable with. All this realistic ADS shit can stay in one FPS sub genre if you ask me, same reason we don't need spartans to sprint around just because any Call of Dull game has that.
Sadly shooters these days all chase the same audience too much and annoying shit all of a sudden becomes a standard because it's in games that sold better / have more hype.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Yeah, if a team has more caps than the other team they win after the 2 rounds, if teams happen to have equal caps the time of the last cap will be compared and the team that got it earlier wins. Not too sure what to do if the game ends 0-0 cap wise, feel like making kills the decider is kinda weak and doesn't reflect how you should play such a gametype but overall this concept (and potentially a limit of 3 or 5 caps) should lead to way less ties than your typical one flag setup with 4 rounds where you end up with rounds that cannot make a difference at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Yeah, if a team has more caps than the other team they win after the 2 rounds, if teams happen to have equal caps the time of the last cap will be compared and the team that got it earlier wins. Not too sure what to do if the game ends 0-0 cap wise, feel like making kills the decider is kinda weak and doesn't reflect how you should play such a gametype but overall this concept (and potentially a limit of 3 or 5 caps) should lead to way less ties than your typical one flag setup with 4 rounds where you end up with rounds that cannot make a difference at all. 

Yes 0-0 is hard, but then again that can happen in 2 Flag CTF or Bomb as well so there's that. If it happens too often then the map obviously needs work or get removed from the circuit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dev maps/gametypes I think have potential for Reach competitive. Some have already been used and all would need some level of forge work:

Anchor 9 CTF
Battle Canyon CTF
Countdown CTF
Zealot CTF
Zealot Bomb
Battle Canyon KOTH
High Noon KOTH
Penance KOTH
Reflection KOTH
Solitary KOTH
Reflection Ball
Zealot Ball
Powerhouse TS
Penance TS
Reflection TS
  • Like (+1) 2

So...is the plan for Halo esports right now to wait and hope that one of the HCS Grassroots partners host/organize Halo Reach events?  

2 hours ago, II AdamanT II said:

Dev maps/gametypes I think have potential for Reach competitive. Some have already been used and all would need some level of forge work:

Anchor 9 CTF
Battle Canyon CTF
Countdown CTF
Zealot CTF
Zealot Bomb
Battle Canyon KOTH
High Noon KOTH
Penance KOTH
Reflection KOTH
Solitary KOTH
Reflection Ball
Zealot Ball
Powerhouse TS
Penance TS
Reflection TS

Anchor 9 is honestly not a bad map, it's like a knockoff H3 pit. Even has a sword room, just needs more cover around this area.

Question is, do we go the amplified/onslaught route and just make it DMR only? or should we have power weapons? it looks big enough for power weapons, but if they dont add more cover.... DMR only.

milton-cadogan-halo-reach-nobledlc-ancho

DMR only maps are total ass if you ask me. The version that was around back in the day had sniper rockets and OS.

Edit: I was trying to take some screenshots and link them here but this insanely powerful console does struggle a lot with them and their website seems to be trash when it comes to just giving me a simple download for the screenshots...

Edit 2: here we go https://imgur.com/a/saOaYXP

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, znot said:

Anchor 9 is honestly not a bad map, it's like a knockoff H3 pit. Even has a sword room, just needs more cover around this area.

Question is, do we go the amplified/onslaught route and just make it DMR only? or should we have power weapons? it looks big enough for power weapons, but if they dont add more cover.... DMR only.

milton-cadogan-halo-reach-nobledlc-ancho

I forgot about that map tbh. The repressed memories lmao why did bungie do the space thing

• Like (+1) 1

You know what, just keep the zero g area open (but remove shield doors) and don't put any power items out there and it should be fine. Any attempts to block it off but keep the pathing with teleporter cheese/forged walkways will create as many problems as it solves. Plus it looks like shit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Squatting Bear said:

So...is the plan for Halo esports right now to wait and hope that one of the HCS Grassroots partners host/organize Halo Reach events?  

The next Dreamhack will most likely have one and UGC probably has something in the works as well. Everything else will probably be online unless there is a big surprise from the old MLG team