CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

im glad H3 is over, moving onto greener pastures :)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

2 hours ago, FeaR said:

im glad H3 is over, moving onto greener pastures :)

like reach?

2 hours ago, TheSimms said:

like reach?

Yes! One more hcs dark ages stepping stone until Infinite

im trying to keep positive, i actually kinda hate reach :') 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

H2C has worse registration issues than H3 does on MCC. I shudder to think what those tournaments would look like. Also, we only got a single NBNS tournament out of Reach (I don't count AGL), and it was quite possibly the best tournament of all time. Those settings deserve another run.

Right, while Halo Reach has terrible vanilla settings the mlg v7 settings are playing very differently. I am a bit sad that H4 ended them so quickly back in the day, we didn't even get the chance to argue for layout changes for battle canyon and penance which both play out way nicer with the gold pro item layout. Generally really liked the 4sk DMR and the faster items, felt like Reach mlg v7 with some CE influences thrown into the mix, guess we are stuck with those old settings tho.

• Like (+1) 2

You know if we’re gonna use Reach what would be nice..if 343 would give us access to the full map editor since they have the source code it should be entirely possible.

So we can make developer quality maps instead of having to use forge maps.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, TheSimms said:

like reach?

i for one look forward to squinting at grey on grey maps while 343 forgets to implement the NBNS version they created

• Like (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 2

Unless they remove bloom entirely from Reach multiplayer and fix the mouse aiming 100%, its population is going to drop off a cliff.

The mouse aiming feels like they are taking the mouse movements and feeding the coordinates through the controller for controller aiming then throwing that up on the screen. Aim smoothing and acceleration and all of it.  Raw input it is not.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

i for one look forward to squinting at grey on grey maps while 343 forgets to implement the NBNS version they created

Sure grey on grey maps are not ideal but at least the visibility is good and you can see red/blue spartans - in Halo 5 the maps are so cluttered with details and bright light effects that I can barely see the plastic spartans sprinting around.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Unless they remove bloom entirely from Reach multiplayer and fix the mouse aiming 100%, its population is going to drop off a cliff.

There is exactly a 0% chance that they remove bloom entirely (although I agree it should go, it has no place in gaming period).  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

The mouse aiming feels like they are taking the mouse movements and feeding the coordinates through the controller for controller aiming then throwing that up on the screen. Aim smoothing and acceleration and all of it.  Raw input it is not.

It's such a great idea to use default Reach with bloom and AAs to introduce millions of people on a new platform to the Halo franchise. What could go wrong?

• Like (+1) 4
  • WutFace (+0) 1

1 minute ago, Basu said:

It's such a great idea to use default Reach with bloom and AAs to introduce millions of people on a new platform to the Halo franchise. What could go wrong?

Are you saying a dreamhack H3 "LAN" tournament with bloodshots, ghost rockets, double reloads and illegal spots on specific maps is better?

But if they are fine unleashing armor lock and people jetpacking into the sky while your DMR cannot hit them due to bloom that might be a hint at what they are going for in Halo Sprintfinite.

• Toxic (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

There is exactly a 0% chance that they remove bloom entirely (although I agree it should go, it has no place in gaming period).  

Bloom works great, when you’re hipfiring an LMG in Call of Battlefield not when you’re firing your utility weapon in Halo.  It’s not bloom’s fault someone put him somewhere he wasn’t supposed to be.  Don’t blame bloom.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Are you saying a dreamhack H3 "LAN" tournament with bloodshots, ghost rockets, double reloads and illegal spots on specific maps is better?

But if they are fine unleashing armor lock and people jetpacking into the sky while your DMR cannot hit them due to bloom that might be a hint at what they are going for in Halo Sprintfinite. 

H3's problems are more technical than design flaws, aside from horrible BR spread of course. Neither game is optimal but H3 is much closer to good Halo than default Reach. v7/GP is great, but let's be real after a few weeks the Reach HC playlist in MCC will be a ghost town just like the current hardcore playlists, especially if they intend to launch Reach PC with the terrible audio, netcode issues, input lag and 60 FPS cap.

Just now, Basu said:

H3's problems are more technical than design flaws, aside from horrible BR spread of course. Neither game is optimal but H3 is much closer to good Halo than default Reach. v7/GP is great, but let's be real after a few weeks the Reach HC playlist in MCC will be a ghost town just like the current hardcore playlists, especially if they intend to launch Reach PC with the terrible audio, netcode issues, input lag and 60 FPS cap.

I think the XR system will help retain people for while, but yea I can't imagine it keeping a ton of people for basically a full year.  That being said, they're working on the KBM issues so hopefully a month is long enough to get it sorted, and the 60fps cap was temporary to help them address issues during the flighting.  They have every intention of allowing it to be uncapped. 

1 minute ago, Basu said:

Right, the question wasn't too serious. Just had to line out the miserable situation classic Halo is in rn. And that applies to both matchmaking and events tbh, I am pretty sure any new title will crumble the same way after they are done throwing big money at it.

• Toxic (+1) 1

Tournament organizers need to make a change to how the Bo7s are run while tournaments are still run on MLG gametypes. MLG only had 11 gametypes for H2-Reach because they ran extended series (without any Bo7s) where if two teams ran into each other in the bracket twice the teams would play each gametype once if the series went a full 11 games. These Bo7s not only generate instances where we can see some gametypse have more weight than others, but we see the TOs schedule so we are guaranteed to see one gametype more than another.

This DH, across the three Bo7s, we had Heretic CTF scheduled as one of the first four gametypes twice and Onslaught CTF not scheduled as one of the first four gametypes. Another tournament we had Construst TS scheduled zero times across the three Bo7s while another TS (I think it was Pit) was scheduled each series.

Should we really have certain gametypes have more weight than others? And if we do, should we still be leaving it up to how the TO organizes the tournament structure?

While I'd love to see the return of Bo5s extending to Bo11s without any Bo7s, I understand that the TOs seem to want to abandon the traditional Halo tournament format and it's not likely to happen. But maybe we could at least see a scenario where in GF if the bracket gets reset the two teams use a veto system to determine what the seven gametypes for that series are going to be that ways the gametypes that are given more weight are determined by the two teams playing and not arbitrarily determined beforehand?

Am I the only one who is a little irked by the current tournament structures not meshing well with the number of MLG gametypes established? Dose a veto system sound like a way to solve this problem if we aren't going to run extended series or adde more gametypes to the pool?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

For those interested, I made another highlight vid of this event for Paradise Halo.  Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zavehi said:

We really have hit a bad run when people are yearning for the good ole days of Halo Reach. 

Nah its just the same trick the second time. People think the double reloads/bloodshots are connection based (they're not usually) and they think to themselves "well at least we're getting a new game it can't be that bad." Lol little do they know what's coming. Except we do know exactly what's coming this time. Reach is the harbinger of the series decline in popularity and it'll probably put our expectations and nostalgia right back where it was when we started to go back to H3 any of the multiple times that was attempted. V7 settings aren't terrible to be fair but Reach isn't really a good game and it hurts playing on those forge maps over and over. People are going to be sick of Reach again real quick but hopefully Infinite news can drop and the rest of MCC can hold it down for the next year after Reach blows over 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Nah its just the same trick the second time. People think the double reloads/bloodshots are connection based (they're not usually) and they think to themselves "well at least we're getting a new game it can't be that bad." Lol little do they know what's coming. Except we do know exactly what's coming this time. Reach is the harbinger of the series decline in popularity and it'll probably put our expectations and nostalgia right back where it was when we started to go back to H3 any of the multiple times that was attempted. V7 settings aren't terrible to be fair but Reach isn't really a good game and it hurts playing on those forge maps over and over. People are going to be sick of Reach again real quick but hopefully Infinite news can drop and the rest of MCC can hold it down for the next year after Reach blows over 

I'm not touching Reach outside of customs and HC. I've played roughly 5 games of default Reach on insider and already had enough. I actually remembered Invasion to not be as shitty but boy was I wrong. Anything with bloom is 100% unplayable especially on PC where precision is everything.

The game is fairly fun to watch though. A little less so than H3 thanks to the dogshit maps and subsequent need for Forge maps, but I do enjoy seeing people fire guns that can shoot straight.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Basu said:

The game is fairly fun to watch though. A little less so than H3 thanks to the dogshit maps and subsequent need for Forge maps, but I do enjoy seeing people fire guns that can shoot straight.

I don't even know about that. I was watching Naded play last night and the amount of blanks he was getting was comical. 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:12 AM, Hard Way said:

Watching this H5 2v2 gave me an idea. I know obj in 2v2 is frowned upon, but I think that’s usually because resources are spread too thin. I think 1 plot strongholds could work in competitive 2v2, and actually be pretty fun.

So... 2v2 KotH?