CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, znot said:

Okay what's this all about, I see ppl saying the controller auto aim is way easier on PC than xbox?

Do ppl just forget how ez and forgiving Reach was on all accounts? hitbox, magnetism, etc.

If I shoot you in the butt, as long as it exits your head Reach gives me a headshot. Reach Reach REACH

Its about the same as on both consoles, but yeah, Reach's AA has always been really strong, it just turns out when you put it against players who have no assists outside of very slight bullet magnetism, that it's actually way stronger than anyone realised.

At least 90% of people on H2V are using controllers. It really shouldn't be a surprise. The only games where mouse might be an advantage are CE and H3, the others have such insane magnetism that there's no way to overcome that advantage with superior mouse aim. Imagine playing H4 or H2A with a mouse lmao.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Basu said:

At least 90% of people on H2V are using controllers. It really shouldn't be a surprise. The only games where mouse might be an advantage are CE and H3, the others have such insane magnetism that there's no way to overcome that advantage with superior mouse aim. Imagine playing H4 or H2A with a mouse lmao.

Ya we've known aim assist is an equalizer for awhile because of H2V and other games like Destiny 2 and that it has to be tuned appropriately or it'll just be flat out better than mkb. Its a little wild that the whole thing is being rehashed but I guess a lot of people just sort of never got the chance to notice. I think part of the shock is because people think that mkb players would just be objectively better when it turns out that if you're not a GREAT mkb player you're probably about to get shit on by a good controller player with aim assist. That huge skill ceiling with a mouse also comes with a real steep drop to the skill floor and people within that range can easily shoot worse than a player using a controller. Logically I think all of that is/should be pretty obvious but people on both sides are really stuck in their opinions until reality comes knocking 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

Ya we've known aim assist is an equalizer for awhile because of H2V and other games like Destiny 2 and that it has to be tuned appropriately or it'll just be flat out better than mkb. Its a little wild that the whole thing is being rehashed but I guess a lot of people just sort of never got the chance to notice. I think part of the shock is because people think that mkb players would just be objectively better when it turns out that if you're not a GREAT mkb player you're probably about to get shit on by a good controller player with aim assist. That huge skill ceiling with a mouse also comes with a real steep drop to the skill floor and people within that range can easily shoot worse than a player using a controller. Logically I think all of that is/should be pretty obvious but people on both sides are really stuck in their opinions until reality comes knocking 

I think this myth still stems from back in the day when games with super high precision like Quake and CS were the norm. Obviously a controller user would get shit on in those games especially if they didn't get enough/any aim assist.

The interesting question is: is there an amount of aim assists that will balance them both to be balanced at all skill levels and allow crossplay? Another issue would be things that intentionally have no aim assist like unscoped sniper rifles (lmao at H4/5 for this btw) or any weapon outside of RRR that will be unaffected on PC.

4 minutes ago, Basu said:

I think this myth still stems from back in the day when games with super high precision like Quake and CS were the norm. Obviously a controller user would get shit on in those games especially if they didn't get enough/any aim assist.

The interesting question is: is there an amount of aim assists that will balance them both to be balanced at all skill levels and allow crossplay? Another issue would be things that intentionally have no aim assist like unscoped sniper rifles (lmao at H4/5 for this btw) or any weapon outside of RRR that will be unaffected on PC.

I think that making them totally equal is impossible or close enough to it that you're just trying to generally get into the ballpark of balance and not necessarily anything perfect. I think the more interesting aspects of it is the difference in movement between analog sticks and keyboards and how the close range/mid range AR player in an game like Apex might be better off with a controller but mid to long range gets exponentially harder for the player using a controller. Both have advantages and disadvantages if its balanced appropriately imo but they'd never actually be the same

New video is up.  Just a quick recap of yesterday and some preliminary thoughts on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly don't mind mouse and keyboard on Halo, but it doesn't feel satisfying to me. It's almost too easy and not rewarding. 

Take a noscope for example, on a mouse, that's pretty easy to do, On a controller a no scope is rare because it's harder and it's more rewarding as a result.

So I still play on controller when I want to feel challenged and rewarded for making plays. 

On mouse I can do the same plays but it just "feels like taking candy from a baby" but I guess that just means it requires more on mouse to get that rewarding feeling. Like instead of a overkill, I need to get a killionaire. 

7 hours ago, znot said:

Okay what's this all about, I see ppl saying the controller auto aim is way easier on PC than xbox?

I've been playing a lot of BC Reach lately on 30FPS and the aim assist is extremely strong. It's much easier to aim on PC due to the frames and field of view... that's it. 

So, MCC had the release date Dec. 3rd on xbox, but now it's showing as releasing today, directly after XO19's Inside Xbox(meaning Reach on consoles probably will shadow drop during Inside Xbox). MCC PC shows Dec. 3rd.

11 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

So, MCC had the release date Dec. 3rd on xbox, but now it's showing as releasing today, directly after XO19's Inside Xbox(meaning Reach on consoles probably will shadow drop during Inside Xbox). MCC PC shows Dec. 3rd.

Yikes, we're really getting an MCC launch - episode 2? The game feels like shit on PC and I doubt they're gonna fix it in two weeks.

5 minutes ago, Basu said:

Yikes, we're really getting an MCC launch - episode 2? The game feels like shit on PC and I doubt they're gonna fix it in two weeks.

Would be shocked if the build you play in the Insider program isn't (months) old. Heck, a lot of game developers have testers(non-QA) they bring into the studio under an NDA and have them play a rather old build.

50 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

Not entirely sure where you're seeing the changed date, but on my end I'm still seeing it as December 3rd on the MSFT store. 

EDIT: Disregard, I'm ********. 

6 hours ago, theslatcher said:

Would be shocked if the build you play in the Insider program isn't (months) old. Heck, a lot of game developers have testers(non-QA) they bring into the studio under an NDA and have them play a rather old build.

While this might be true it also makes zero sense. Why would they be collecting feedback on mouse input if they have an internal build that has a completely different "fixed" mouse aiming?

• Upvote (+1) 1

somehow this hasnt made it to the halo twitter but here are the seeds and pools for the dreamhack tomorrow

1pf12Pt.png

im assuming times here are eastern

VfFcnHA.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

So Reach launches on December 3rd for both Xbox and PC. 

Fuck me I hope this isn't another disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

if they somehow fuck this up

Related image

also crossfire new esport on xbox Pog

1 minute ago, FeaR said:

if they somehow fuck this up

Related image

it's just reach, it's already fucked up. nothing to see here

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, znot said:

it's just reach, it's already fucked up. nothing to see here

PLh6Dyu.png

• Toxic (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

PLh6Dyu.png

Gotta be honest, I thought he did that in reaction to something Ske7ch said about Reach...

Also who caught the bit in the trailer where it says "A HALO CLASSIC"?

I screamed at my monitor!! REACH IS NOT A HALO CLASSIC

though I guess you could argue NBNS is, still stand by it though.

Reach is a Halo Classic (TM) if you play almost exclusively on community made maps, using settings that were only possible after a patch that removed all the new game mechanics it added to the franchise and even then it's only truly good if you rely on a glitch to get a 4sk DMR and use modded settings to have more than three gametypes with zero bloom. Truly a masterpiece of video game design.

• Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

They're just hyping the game to sell copies. Nobody that actually played the entire series is really about to put Reach on the classic list unless they consider every game in it one. Its just marketing nonsense 

Hot take: the SR/XP system coming with the update is way more important than Reach.  As hyped as I am that Reach is coming, the longevity that the SR/XP system will provide will do more for the game over the next year in terms of retaining a player base.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Hot take: the SR/XP system coming with the update is way more important than Reach.  As hyped as I am that Reach is coming, the longevity that the SR/XP system will provide will do more for the game over the next year in terms of retaining a player base.     

My vote for most important aspect of this game and the releases to follow is probably their testing/thought process revolving around crossplay as time goes on. We'll be feeling and seeing the results for years down the line with games like Infinite and hopefully beyond

Same! Even though we got the way worse CoD/Reach XP system instead of the H3 one (where you actually had to win to get XP) this will add some much needed longevity to MCC. Ranked is a ghost town and social matches feel utterly meaningless. The first three games might be timeless classics, but they're competing with 50 other FPS that have insanely addictive skinner box XP systems so it's a good move to add this to MCC as well.

• Fire (+1) 1