CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

I can't help but be a little bit sad.

This is all the kind of shit that we were salivating over before MCC dropped, when the whole idea of multi-game tournaments had way more momentum than it does now (especially with H5 coming along to potentially carry things). I realize it's completely asinine to ask, "what if MCC wasn't a disaster and H5 wasn't garbage tier", but man...what if. Halo could've been this singular, cohesive community and we could all do our own thing while appreciating the other stuff from afar.

I recall most ppl not caring about multi game tournys because they were salivating over nonexistent dev support of h2a and hcs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you ever play against Gamesager?

That man was the reason I could never enjoy vehicle modes. 

years later, i repeatedly matched him in Titanfall 2. I consider myself an above average player in that game, but he completely shut me down. Dude's insane. 

I recall most ppl not caring about multi game tournys because they were salivating over nonexistent dev support of h2a and hcs.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, the hype around MCC was gigantic and the possibilities being speculated upon were endless. People were rifling through the logistics of how to house each Halo game in a single tournament environment. 

I'm not sure what you mean by this, the hype around MCC was gigantic and the possibilities being speculated upon were endless. People were rifling through the logistics of how to house each Halo game in a single tournament environment.

Yeah, but 343 ended up releasing info about h2a and hcs (and how h2a had to be played to get dev support). Everyone quit caring and pushing about running multi game tournys and only cared for h2a "cuz dev support".

In the end it didnt matter cuz mcc released and was mcc. But i dont recall many others other than myself pushing to run all games. I can be misremebering but i recall ppl being really only for h2a because thats what 343 wanted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everyone quit caring and pushing about running multi game tournys and only cared for h2a "cuz dev support".

Well you're not wrong about that, this forum used to have a raging boner for the idea that dev-run tournies would be the thing that saved competitive Halo. 

Anyone bemoaning the smaller prize pool for St Louis and citing that as the reason we can’t be all that we can be...if you haven’t bought a UGC shirt yet, you need to fix yourself. Be part of the solution.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Anyone bemoaning the smaller prize pool for St Louis and citing that as the reason we can’t be all that we can be...if you haven’t bought a UGC shirt yet, you need to fix yourself. Be part of the solution.

30K just isn't realistic in today's scene. A few shirts and donations won't cut it. TBH the Grassroots program is nice but IMO 343 left Halo out to dry until Infinite. I've felt we've been on a downward spiral since before 2017 Worlds. Yes, we will have a surge of nostalgia-driven interest, but I 100% do not blame people for taking greater career opportunities or focusing on different games in a world where we have the CWL, $100 million thrown at Fornite, and hell, 10 million in Magic the fucking gathering.

To me 343 should have spent even 25% of the money they blew on lackluster H5 events towards properly sanctioned Classic Halo tournaments. That'd mean we'd have modern era monetary incentive and MLG level production with Muggsy at the helm of social media to boot, instead of 30K UMG tournaments.

IDK, the whole Grassroots thing is a mixed bag. That said, I'm pretty sure MLG will come out with some exciting news.

The plan IS for 343 to monetarily support some of these tournies, right?

Yes, if you apply through the grassroots program, they can provide you with things like money for the prize pool, xbox's, etc.

From the UGC site: "HCS Grassroots will be supporting this event by providing the entire prize pool, promotion, content, and more."(IIRC Tashi said they'll be providing Xbox One X's)

Did you ever play against Gamesager?

yeah. In 8v8 customs, banshee was like the mantis in h4, or the banshee in h4. It was good for being defensive. The dmr shot pretty far so when you have 5 people focusing it, it just dies. The h2/h3 banshee is far more agressive because it doesnt die to sniper hits or br hits. Only close range weapons.

Well you're not wrong about that, this forum used to have a raging boner for the idea that dev-run tournies would be the thing that saved competitive Halo. 

i mean if they had been run well from the beginning, it really couldve brought halo back as premier esport. there is no reason for it not to be outside of the colossal failing of the hcs and esl every step of the way

i mean if they had been run well from the beginning, it really couldve brought halo back as premier esport. there is no reason for it not to be outside of the colossal failing of the hcs and esl every step of the way

I'm sensing a theme here. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah. In 8v8 customs, banshee was like the mantis in h4, or the banshee in h4. It was good for being defensive. The dmr shot pretty far so when you have 5 people focusing it, it just dies. The h2/h3 banshee is far more agressive because it doesnt die to sniper hits or br hits. Only close range weapons.

The sniper absolutely chunked every vehicle in Reach, it was insane. 

The sniper absolutely chunked every vehicle in Reach, it was insane.

It was wonderful getting killjoys on the banshee.

I still think that its right that the devs are extremely involved in the tournaments long term. The bad part occurred when it turned into just them and ESL with ESL just running a trash league and viewer experience (wow that sounds mean but that's how I felt) and the competitive settings not reflecting what the competitive players wanted to actually be playing. It was insane but in the end they did start to do the right thing. We got MLG/Gfinity events that were amazing. They finally submitted to settings that the people playing the game would actually play etc. The real turning point now is if we keep playing games and settings that people are excited about or if we go back to fighting them every step of the way to basically let the game be fun and competitive for the competitive players in the next game. We're basically doomed if we restart this whole mess again instead of finally learning and moving forward without taking steps backwards as far as league structure, communication, and enjoyable settings like we have at the start of every new game post MLG thus far. Infinite is not a new slate, nothing has reset, lessons have already been learned, and everyone needs to act like it. They just have to keep doing the good job they've been doing lately and its going to be ok

• Upvote (+1) 2

So Flame is teaming with Bestman, Neighbour, and Ace for the event.  They're looking alright so far but they've only played a couple games. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Splyce halo got first rounded at CWL Vegas  :mj:

Did they practice?  :intensifies:

Is the Qualifier streamed today anywhere officially or just players?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not sure if this is true or just a meme but this is from lunchboxes chat. He's also not playing in the qualifier today.

159250151e03139f3c55a0a5905898bc.png

Edit: Not the team was trolled  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 6