CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Looking that way. My guess is Reach PC tournaments at Anaheim DreamHack early next year

:wutface:

If they're going to do something for Dreamhack they have to do it soon.  It wouldn't shock me either way but if DH is expressing interest in running another event it would behoove 343 to move heaven and earth to make it happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Skor said:

So with no HCS/event announcement until Nov. 5th guess its safe to assume nothing for Dreamhack ATL? 

halo and last minute event details, name a more iconic duo? 

• Like (+1) 3

Wait nothing about the next event for over a month? That's ridiculous

42 minutes ago, FeaR said:

I miss the Halo 5 season :mj:

i only miss the double round robin, 2 day a week season. what it was at the end was just awful. what i really miss though is the mlg pro circuit. that was so much fun

3 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

i only miss the double round robin, 2 day a week season. what it was at the end was just awful. what i really miss though is the mlg pro circuit. that was so much fun

I miss stuff to talk about

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

Hopefully for Infinite they have an even more fleshed out league.  

These consistent 2-3 month breaks between events/hearing about ANYTHING isn't helping either.  I understand they're all hands on deck for Infinite atm but for the love god you can't just ignore a scene like this and then be surprised when the numbers aren't high. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Hopefully for Infinite they have an even more fleshed out league.  

These consistent 2-3 month breaks between events/hearing about ANYTHING isn't helping either.  I understand they're all hands on deck for Infinite atm but for the love god you can't just ignore a scene like this and then be surprised when the numbers aren't high. 

i understands heads down for the dev team but the hcs team must have something it can talk about beyond teasing a november update. i like grassroots but we gotta start and strengthen what format the hcs will use sooner rather than trying it out once infinite drops. let this be a testing ground, and if we're doing a circuit ran by 3rd parties, then structure shit slike dota 2 where we know the events and qualifiers months in advance.

maybe there is no grassroot partner looking to make an event soon, in which case i think the hcs team should have an event set up. maybe its dreahhack next, which again should be announced now. people gotta book flights, hotels, etc. i think the communication of what's next has always been one of the biggest downfalls of 343 led pro- halo. remember when they didnt even announce the dates/location of 2017 worlds during the broadcast of the last qualifiers in vegas? 

34 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

i understands heads down for the dev team but the hcs team must have something it can talk about beyond teasing a november update. i like grassroots but we gotta start and strengthen what format the hcs will use sooner rather than trying it out once infinite drops. let this be a testing ground, and if we're doing a circuit ran by 3rd parties, then structure shit slike dota 2 where we know the events and qualifiers months in advance.

maybe there is no grassroot partner looking to make an event soon, in which case i think the hcs team should have an event set up. maybe its dreahhack next, which again should be announced now. people gotta book flights, hotels, etc. i think the communication of what's next has always been one of the biggest downfalls of 343 led pro- halo. remember when they didnt even announce the dates/location of 2017 worlds during the broadcast of the last qualifiers in vegas? 

I usually assume the reason we're not told anything is because they don't have anything to tell us. By that I mean nothing is set in stone and they're probably either shopping venues/partners for events or the other party hasn't signed off to make anything official because they're also shopping around for good deals and potentially more popular games. Not to be too depressing but between all of that stuff and their budget pre infinite maybe not really being anything to brag about it could actually be difficult to find and setup venues for these events to take place. Rather than incompetence on their part this could just be the side effect of being a small and unpopular esport 

We all know they're going to make a run within the marketing of the release of Halo Infinite but they could reasonably not really expect growth before that and choose to not invest until closer to prime time for them. Its pretty much how they've been running Halo esports generally

15 hours ago, Proto said:

Random Monday Halo thought: People went bananas when Shotzzy/Splyce used the Staples "Easy" button at the Halo 5 World Championships last year

Let's not forget who originally brought that prop into competitive Halo. The one and only :walshy:

374e3afbde72b18f54739edd7edadfb9.jpg

I still have that exact TV in my parent's attic.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

I still have that exact TV in my parent's attic.

I just picked up a beautiful 24 inch Sony Trinitron CRT just waiting for its first appearance at a classic Halo LAN. Not a matter of if, but when. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Proto said:

Finally. *purchases plane ticket*

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Tour de Walsh side station.  Just cut to some H2 middy action whenever there’s some downtime.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Figured it was gonna happen, but glad we got an announcement relatively early.  Plus the qualifiers will give us something to watch in the mean time.  

37 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Tour de Walsh side station.  Just cut to some H2 middy action whenever there’s some downtime.

YES PLEASE.  Just have like one station that's on standby with a permanent Midship game going on to throw up for a break.  Free play for anyone at the venue to hop on an potentially have some time on stream.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

22 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Figured it was gonna happen, but glad we got an announcement relatively early.  Plus the qualifiers will give us something to watch in the mean time.  

YES PLEASE.  Just have like one station that's on standby with a permanent Midship game going on to throw up for a break.  Free play for anyone at the venue to hop on an potentially have some time on stream.

This is such a simple genius idea, why has this not been done before?

I would donate (a small amount) to make that Tour de Walsh side station possible. I could watch Halo 2 be played forever. 

I still hope for one Halo 2 4v4 tournament before Infinite releases - whether classic or on MCC (Disclaimer - MCC Halo 2 is a horrible PC port compared to classic but would be better than nothing). I know that is a far and away dream but I'll never let go. No one can make me let go. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Proto said:

I would donate (a small amount) to make that Tour de Walsh side station possible. I could watch Halo 2 be played forever. 

I still hope for one Halo 2 4v4 tournament before Infinite releases - whether classic or on MCC (Disclaimer - MCC Halo 2 is a horrible PC port compared to classic but would be better than nothing). I know that is a far and away dream but I'll never let go. No one can make me let go. 

I do feel like we should run an H2 4v4 event and you know this year is the 15 year anniversary of that game so you'd think we would see something

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

The only thing better than this would be an actual fucking tournament for the game.

• Like (+1) 4