CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Mow said:

Maybe if the console scene is currently so weak that this is all that it would take to finish it off, we should pave way for the PC scene? Personally I think the game should be played on PC at tournaments anyway even if that means there's controller only tournaments where they plug their controller into a PC, at least that way we can possibly have real LAN instead of whatever this fake Xbox One 'LAN' is, not to mention the added competitive benefit of higher frame rates and FoV's. I anticipate that with Halo Infinite is where Microsoft will fully embrace cross play, at which point I imagine the console and PC scene will merge with controller players playing against mouse and keyboard players much like Apex Legends, and judging by how well Snip3down is doing in that game I think it's going to be very interesting so see how this plays out in Halo, maybe not as clear cut as people would think. 

I think console players need to get rid of their anxiety about playing against PC players, I switched to PC a few years ago and trust me when I say the average PC player is terrible.

The fear or worry people experience is pretty unfounded. The only time its actually a huge barrier is when the controller doesn't have aim assist because it just doesn't generally work at that point and its just a handicap. D2, H2V and Apex have all shown that aim assist can be the great equalizer. We already know what Halo is like when you create that situation

• Upvote (+1) 1

literally didn't know this event was happening until just now, oh well lol.  I'm curious what the viewership peaked at for h1 / h3 / h5, does anyone know offhand?  

11 minutes ago, valaea said:

literally didn't know this event was happening until just now, oh well lol.  I'm curious what the viewership peaked at for h1 / h3 / h5, does anyone know offhand?  

The finals for H3 was ~3K IIRC, they only showed like 4 series of H5 and it peaked at 2K something because they put the finals on the main stream, and not sure about CE. 

Finals in the Game 7 peaked at just about 4,200 - was mid 3,000s up until the Game 7. Numbers climbed throughout the series.

29 minutes ago, valaea said:

Yeah I nearly forgot about it and after thinking about it for awhile I realized that I'm not even sure how they could fix that. It seemed like the only way 343/UGC could've reached me to advertise the event would have been to start sending emails about it. Otherwise they're just hoping I had time recently to hop on MCC for that news screen or come to websites like this to inform myself

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

Yeah I nearly forgot about it and after thinking about it for awhile I realized that I'm not even sure how they could fix that. It seemed like the only way 343/UGC could've reached me to advertise the event would have been to start sending emails about it. Otherwise they're just hoping I had time recently to hop on MCC for that news screen or come to websites like this to inform myself

ninja on mixer was on the xbox homepage. i wish competitive halo got that same love

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Alright guys, there might not be a lot of y'all checking the forums these days (I missed Sunday and only had two pages of posts to catch up on, shesh) but I just needed to make a hype post because I am so damn excited right now! GILK3Y JUST WON AN EVENT!!! AAHAHAAHHAHAHA!!!

I avoided spoilers and spent the better part of today catching up on the Sunday VoDs with my hand under my eyes whenever I hat to move my cursor over the video player so I wouldn't see any time spoilers because this Lux squad might be my favorite roster since Team FFA. RyaNoob rivals Zyos as my favorite player of all time, I'm a Houstonian so you know I'm super excited to see Ryan team with his duo partner Goofy and H-Town local Gabriel (both rocking the Astros hats all event). That right there is a trio I could love to root for, but then you throw in Gilk3y as the cherry on top and I'm super pumped for that team. Gilk3y, the kid from Ambush/Purgatory who would yell his lungs off on main stage whenever he made a play, back at it for Halo 5 and hitting his stride again in MCC H3!

I thought that the team looked strong in their online tournaments and scrims against Fatal Ambition, but didn't think they'd be able to actually go into this event and not drop into the elimination bracket at all. They really pushed the pace with their teamwork on a lot of maps and it was a blast watching them play and actually be able to rebound after losing three in a row in GF.

I know I'm late to the party and gushing like a dumb fanboy, but this was really the most fun I've had watching Halo in a long time and just had to share it with someone. I'm so excited not even @Hard Wayblue balling me on Zyos playing CE 1v1s on stream is bringing me down!

Whether y'all were rooting for another team or just tuning in for some good Halo, I hoped everyone else who tuned in had a good time and that we can continue to support UGC events in the future. Three station streams with two quad streams and fourth stream for CE is something I wish every tournament could do and UGC letting us see as many matches as possible across three Halo titles is awesome.

Our community has noticeably shrunk, but y'all're still around and I appreciate that. Let's keep this alive rolling into the next event, whichever tournament organizer, game, or platform it ends up being on. :beyond::beyond::beyond:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

The fear or worry people experience is pretty unfounded. The only time its actually a huge barrier is when the controller doesn't have aim assist because it just doesn't generally work at that point and its just a handicap. D2, H2V and Apex have all shown that aim assist can be the great equalizer. We already know what Halo is like when you create that situation

Yeah but thats my problem. If you pair up KB/M vs Controller an aim assist equalises them, you've got one group thats aim is purely based on their own ability, and another with active assists helping them aim. In a competitive, play for money environment, its a bit bullshit that a player has the game giving them an active hand because of the input device they are using. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

12 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Yeah but thats my problem. If you pair up KB/M vs Controller an aim assist equalises them, you've got one group thats aim is purely based on their own ability, and another with active assists helping them aim. In a competitive, play for money environment, its a bit bullshit that a player has the game giving them an active hand because of the input device they are using. 

If the mobility gimmicks are here to stay then PC has another massive advantage given that they don't have to claw just to move around the map. Besides Elite controllers of course but that also throws the equality thing out of the window. 

Well, following speedrunning CE is my personal solution to maintain an interest in Halo. My finnish neighbour Garishgoblin broke again the record for CE Legendary. This is the 37:th time in a row he broke the record. Just amazing. 1:10:21 is Unfrigginbelievable. 

https://youtu.be/kiPFBbTS9zk

• Like (+1) 2

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I say if we're going to have a PC and Console scene (which is the best option), just make it so PC and KbM, and console is controller.  If you've never tried to use a controller without aim assist, it's an absolute write off.  Even for a game like CoD with quick TTK it's rough, but imagine trying to betray your teammates in Halo while they're full shields but they either have AA or use KbM.  

Controllers NEED AA to even be remotely viable (especially for a game like Halo). 

2 hours ago, FireAtWill said:

Well, following speedrunning CE is my personal solution to maintain an interest in Halo. My finnish neighbour Garishgoblin broke again the record for CE Legendary. This is the 37:th time in a row he broke the record. Just amazing. 1:10:21 is Unfrigginbelievable. 

https://youtu.be/kiPFBbTS9zk

Random side note. There as a Finnish CE player who came all the way to Florida for BeachLAN

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

3 hours ago, logfish111 said:

So when is the next event lol?

A wild logfish111 appears!

13 minutes ago, Proto said:

The "next" tournament is just a rumor as of right now - Dreamhack Atlanta in November

https://dreamhack.com/atlanta/

Considering Dreamhack is part of the Grassroots program, it's probably a pretty good bet.  You're right though, nothing confirmed. 

On 9/8/2019 at 12:40 AM, Hard Way said:

Thank you fellas. It was a genuine joy to be a part of. I hope that came through in the broadcast. Calling the finals with Zyos was a little surreal. I’m so glad that all worked out the way it did.

He’s a really nice guy too. We chatted for a while beforehand, and it was just a really cool experience for me. I remember watching that guy play when I was a freshman in college in ‘05, and later catching up on everything he did in H1, it was just really cool. He was really humble too, talking about how cool it was that we named the Priz doorway jump after him. I never knew what to call it, so I started calling it that after watching his 1v1 with Ogre 2 on Priz. Since I’m the only guy that casts H1, some of the names I use for parts of the map stick a little bit. So that was a cool moment too (I have no idea if other people called it that before me, but I know I arrived at that name on my own).

It's been called a Zyos jump for decades. That's actually crazy that you arrived at the same name on your own, lol.

Thanks for casting man, the tournament was great! So glad I got to compete finally.

And the bracket is wrong, we actually were up 2-0 on Zyos/Proxa and they reverse swept us. They felt like an unstoppable machine in the latter part of the series, Zyos just turned it up to 11. Was surreal competing against him.

• Upvote (+1) 2

8 hours ago, VinnyMendoza said:

And the bracket is wrong, we actually were up 2-0 on Zyos/Proxa and they reverse swept us. 

Your teammate’s reaction after you give up the 50th kill in game 5:

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yall are weird. Let people use controller on pc for events if they want, with or without aim assist. The only debate we should be having is if we should allow kbm for console events. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Yall are weird. Let people use controller on pc for events if they want, with or without AAs. The only debate we should be having is if we should allow kbm for console events. 

allowing kbm at console events means there's more peripherals for cratos to break

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

You can balance KBM and controller against each other fairly well as long as the aim assist on the controller is juuuuuuuuuuuust enough to feel comfortable and no more.  You add more AA than that and the controller players start to get an advantage in head to head fights.  KBM always has an advantage when they have to quickly switch targets or 180.  I think if you do it right, it would be totally fine but "doing it right" would also require all the weapons to be projectile otherwise KBM players will be blaining kids across the map with the sniper all the time.

Just make matchmaking input-based, not system based with an "opt in" option for controller players to play against PC players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1