CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Just now, Proto said:

Believe so - outside of combine FFA wins for Ryanoob I believe - first actual 4v4 Halo 3 win for all the players

Nice to see the underdogs make it happen

• Like (+1) 1

Big shoutout to UGC for another great event and really carrying the grassroots scene - keeping the open events alive. Open events are the foundation of console games and should never die, especially for classic Halo. UGC has come from the ground up to be where they are now and for how they have supported the game they have my complete respect. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I watched most of the event. The CE series was dope, h3 was dope, and h5 grands went to double game 7 as well. a great event. 

• Fire (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Riddler said:

I watched most of the event. The CE series was dope, h3 was dope, and h5 grands went to double game 7 as well. a great event. 

Not gonna lie, I was rooting for gold members on that game 7 so we could get another series.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So now that we have a few months before another event...

IF it ever gets released...(yes I said if given how long its currently taking)

Next event NBNS Reach? I'm all for it personally. I love H3 but NBNS Reach had no time to shine outside of the one standalone MLG event and the smaller not-to-be-named events after and would be a great change of pace for the rest of the grassroots duration. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Proto said:

So now that we have a few months before another...

Next event NBNS Reach? I'm all for it personally. I love H3 but NBNS Reach had no time to shine outside of the one standalone MLG event and the smaller not-to-be-named events after and would be a great change of pace for the rest of the grassroots duration. 

Stop running console events once Reach is released on PC. Nothing done on console is going to increase viewership until Infinite launches, so focus on building a PC esports audience and following whilst the population and hype is at its peak shortly after launch, up until Infinite launches, then run a Console/PC joint event as the First Halo World Cup on Infinite. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 2

7 minutes ago, Proto said:

So now that we have a few months before another...

I have to agree whole-heatedly.  Would be super cool to see another game be shown off.  I'd also be cool with H2C but Reach is definitely the more likely of the two. \

I did not expect this, but i am super happy for Lux ! Especially for Gilkey (what a man) and Goofy (where are you now Contra ?), it was long coming for them.

Thanks Ugc for keeping the torch up !

8 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Stop running console events once Reach is released on PC. Nothing done on console is going to increase viewership until Infinite launches, so focus on building a PC esports audience and following whilst the population and hype is at its peak shortly after launch, up until Infinite launches, then run a Console/PC joint event as the First Halo World Cup on Infinite. 

Lets say UGC elects to do Reach on PC - is that K&M or controllers? Player preference on peripherals? I'm asking that as a legit question for discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people would not want to use K&M for numerous reasons - not used to it/don't play on PC, hold the viewpoint that controller is the way the game was meant to be played - can go on from this of course. 

19 minutes ago, Proto said:

Lets say UGC elects to do Reach on PC - is that K&M or controllers? Player preference on peripherals? I'm asking that as a legit question for discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people would not want to use K&M for numerous reasons - not used to it/don't play on PC, hold the viewpoint that controller is the way the game was meant to be played - can go on from this of course. 

Depends on if the game allows aim assist to be disabled as a game setting. If so, then player preference, otherwise Kb/m so everyone is on the same playing field. 

16 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Depends on if the game allows aim assist to be disabled as a game setting. If so, then player preference, otherwise Kb/m so everyone is on the same playing field. 

Sounds like the illusion of choice to me lol. If it doesn't work like H2V or, more recently, Destiny 2 where it changes based on input type there's actually no reason to allow controllers to begin with

Gilky’s friends that he plays 8’s with made that finals so fun and memorable. They kept bringing buckets of beers and just got lit while they watched their boy win his first event, starting chants and popping off every time he got a kill. That’s the type of hype I wish we could get at more events. What a fun event.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

There needs to be a console scene, even if it has to be run alongside the PC one.  Would also help with the input issue; just make controllers play on console and PC use KB/M.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Gilky’s friends that he plays 8’s with made that finals so fun and memorable. They kept bringing buckets of beers and just got lit while they watched their boy win his first event, starting chants and popping off every time he got a kill. That’s the type of hype I wish we could get at more events. What a fun event.

That’s awesome, and it makes me really sad I had to miss this event (had a wedding to attend in Chicago). Big props to UGC for putting on another great show for us, they really stick it out for Halo.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

There needs to be a console scene, even if it has to be run alongside the PC one.  Would also help with the input issue; just make controllers play on console and PC use KB/M.  

Or just do it the Apex way and let people rag on Snipedown while he continues to shit on them with a controller.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Or just do it the Apex way and let people rag on Snipedown while he continues to shit on them with a controller.

I just fear that if you immediately add a PC scene, with no-holds barred rules for peripherals, it'll kill the console scene.  This is the best of both worlds.  

59 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

I just fear that if you immediately add a PC scene, with no-holds barred rules for peripherals, it'll kill the console scene.  This is the best of both worlds.  

Nah it just means you'll play at events on PCs. Maybe your friends stop playing on xbox entirely but the beauty is that they could also have crossplay and now people play with whatever they want on whatever they want and its fine as seen in any recent game that lets you do it

3 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Maybe if the console scene is currently so weak that this is all that it would take to finish it off, we should pave way for the PC scene? Personally I think the game should be played on PC at tournaments anyway even if that means there's controller only tournaments where they plug their controller into a PC, at least that way we can possibly have real LAN instead of whatever this fake Xbox One 'LAN' is, not to mention the added competitive benefit of higher frame rates and FoV's. I anticipate that with Halo Infinite is where Microsoft will fully embrace cross play, at which point I imagine the console and PC scene will merge with controller players playing against mouse and keyboard players much like Apex Legends, and judging by how well Snip3down is doing in that game I think it's going to be very interesting so see how this plays out in Halo, maybe not as clear cut as people would think. 

I think console players need to get rid of their anxiety about playing against PC players, I switched to PC a few years ago and trust me when I say the average PC player is terrible.

• Fire (+1) 1

Some memorable quotes from the weekend:

(Entire enemy team spawns sword) “That looks like all swords of trouble”.  -Bravo 

“Best game ever made”.  -Patch 

“It wasn’t my fault.  I went positive”.  -Clutch 

(Lottie calls Clutch her friend)  “I don’t know if I’d call it friendship but we are colleagues”.  -Clutch

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 7

11 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

If PC means true LAN and better overall game performance - which it of course should - I am all for it. Sort out the peripherals and I think you have something there.

53 minutes ago, Proto said:

If PC means true LAN and better overall game performance - which it of course should - I am all for it. Sort out the peripherals and I think you have something there.

if Microsoft is funding whatever is coming for infinite, i find it hard to believe that there won't at least be a console event alongside pc. and for pc, i could only imagine them wanting to push controllers so i dont see kbm being the focus. i could be way way wrong, but if infinite is the launch title for the new xbox, there is almost no way the competitive scene moves past it completely (see cod still being played on ps4 competitively)