CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Dropped in for the Clap. God tier event organiser touching pretty much every corner of the esports landscape. Wherever he end up he's going to be kicking ass, so you can only hope it's within the circles we travel :prayers:.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Activision franchising cash grab they are in the midst of...  Not that @Clap would (or should) say anything publicly but I can't imagine that 25 mil a pop franchising decision sat well.

I'm trying to figure that out too. Adam and Puckett are done at MLG, and apparently it's the last day for a lot of people as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hully said:

I'm trying to figure that out too. Adam and Puckett are done at MLG, and apparently it's the last day for a lot of people as well. 

puckett has been freelance since last year. i would imagine that shit is about to get outsource for the new cod league kinda like owl is. teams will be responsible for their own production. i hate seeing the death of open format leagues. that to me was what made esports great. anyone could come in and prove themselves and make it to mainstage. 100% how we got roybox

to me mlg is the reason for many of NA's biggest esport. cod, gears, halo, star craft,dota, and league all had a home in mlg. i hate seeing it fall apart like this. mlg was the definition of passion, drive, and talent

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Franchising is going to kill esports. Hopefully 343 don't fall for this crap in infinite if it's a halfway decent game.

Edit: it just feels like these companies are just trying to project the norms of regular American sports onto gaming and I feel it's going to fail horribly. Culturally deaf 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

GarishGoblin broke his own record...again. Halo CE legendary run in 1:10:45...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, darkstar said:

It’s gross that you have Roy and not Frosty on that top 5 for Halo 5, but if you stopped watching early in the scene then I understand that, I guess.

My personal H5 top 5 would be: 

1) Frosty 2) SnakeBite 3) Mikwen              4) Shotzzy 5) Huke

so much talent on these lists.  Halo was so inspirational and influential to where we are today in gaming.

• Like (+1) 4

Welcome to new esports people. Money is going to ruin what we used to take for granted. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the only way I'd be okay with "franchising" coming to Halo is if the HCS partnered with MLG to do it, entirely ignored the geographical aspect, and used the old MLG team names. Like really lean in to the nostalgia aspect of the H2 and H3 days. Oh, and never remove open format tournaments because that's absolutely crucial to esports. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hully said:

I think the only way I'd be okay with "franchising" coming to Halo is if the HCS partnered with MLG to do it, entirely ignored the geographical aspect, and used the old MLG team names. Like really lean in to the nostalgia aspect of the H2 and H3 days. Oh, and never remove open format tournaments because that's absolutely crucial to esports. 

MLG itself as a company is no longer a thing my man.

1 hour ago, Zavehi said:

MLG itself as a company is no longer a thing my man.

Wait really? They're just ceasing operations entirely?

On 8/30/2019 at 9:32 PM, MUSE_iC said:

This is so damn sad. MLG and Columbus wereso important to the history of halo that to see it just vanish is wrong. Fuck ActiBlizz for buying one of the best event producers in the world, building its franchises on their work, then shutting them down.

In other news it looks like @clap is wanting to mod over at r/codcompetitive. If 343 is smart they reach out to him NOW and get him for Infinite's launch. We wont survive on grassroots much longer

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Hully said:

Wait really? They're just ceasing operations entirely?

MLG might still exist in some form or capacity, but Adam and most of the production staff have left. It'll be name only.

Well if Adam is gone then things aren’t looking too good as I don’t expect another MLG event ever..I guess we’re stuck with mediocre TO’s like UGC for the foreseeable future or worse we go back to the shit show that was ESL.

MLG was bought by Activision over 3.5 years ago... it hasn't been an independent (as we knew it) operation for a while. 

Also, Adam simply said they're closing the arena because for the CDL in 2020 it's moving to home/away format and they basically won't need it.  Nothing crazy going on with it. 

48 minutes ago, Squatting Bear said:

So does that mean we can get the old team names back?  

They would be owned by Activision.

• Thonking (+0) 1

Speaking of old teams/brands owned by MLG/Activision...put the Final Boss hoodies on sale for one more day. Still kick myself I didn't buy one a few years back when MLG was still selling them.

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/2/2019 at 2:47 AM, Zavehi said:

MLG might still exist in some form or capacity, but Adam and most of the production staff have left. It'll be name only.

Was reading on twitter that some of the MLG staff had been offered freelancer roles/contracts working on CDL directly so maybe we see the core team stick together and port over to work on Call Of Duty? I wonder if CDL comes under the MLG banner or is its own entity like OWL?

On 9/2/2019 at 4:16 AM, thdyingbreed said:

worse we go back to the shit show that was ESL.

Things have changed a hell of a lot and lessons have been learned.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TheSimms said:

Was reading on twitter that some of the MLG staff had been offered freelancer roles/contracts working on CDL directly so maybe we see the core team stick together and port over to work on Call Of Duty? I wonder if CDL comes under the MLG banner or is its own entity like OWL?

Things have changed a hell of a lot and lessons have been learned.

Is there any actual footage of NA ESL recently that displays that? Not trying to be a dick or anything I'm genuinely curious if its actually significantly different now. I'm sure a lot of people are just in a place with ESL after trying to watch H5 that they need to see it to believe it