FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

We need an ffa playlist, I want to play in the ffa but lonewolves is a joke

I mean they won't give CE/H2 an FFA playlist and you can't search FFA in social so lone wolves is it. No more H3 playlists k thx 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just got my email from UGC. I’ll be working the event as a volunteer. I’m gonna work my butt off and hopefully make a great impression with this crew. I’d love to work in eSports.

How tf do you volunteer??????

Halo 4 BTB had a flat map where one team was given a Gauss Warthog at the start and the other team was given a CHANCE at a Scorpion tank.

The Gauss Warthog is and always has been the most powerful vehicle in the Halo franchise (even more powerful than tanks) because of its kill time and mobility...and the only Halo it was ever BALANCED in was Halo 2, where it was balanced not by its power (that was the strongest iteration of the vehicle) but by the map geometry, where maps where it was present, such as Zanzibar and Headlong, were extremely vertical maps, preventing the Gauss from taking advantage of its gun's power and allowing people with regular guns to pressure the gunner.

yeah. not defending 343's stupid decisions when it comes to gametype/map balance. but its easily fixable by going into forge for like 10 minutes which is my point. 

Wait, are we really crying about prize pools again when we cant even pull 30k during worlds anymore? Let's be honest, this community isn't worth that 30k and it our job to use grassroots as a tool to earn our place again. These last few years were 343 rolling the dice and fact is the H5 competition was lack luster and it was another snooze fest of a Halo game. Watching FS or Roys streams the past few nights reminded me just how fucking spectator friendly H3 is and even DRDisrespect commented on this too. You can watch H3 and feel the games energy. HR-5 really lacked this, and you can chew me out all you want but without the pseudocompetitve crowd behind the scene like we were during the H3 days the scene will always be lackluster. H3 isn't the most 100% "Esports friendly" Halo title but to 99% of the general public, it 100% is perfect 

Edit: So tbh shout out to all the pros coming back for the love of the game. Its an exciting time

I was going to write a post about this, but at this point I don't have the energy to argue with anyone anymore. I just really don't care. We finally get something good and people will find a way to shit on it. I'm just happy Halo 3 is back and am going to use this opportunity to help grow the scene going into Infinite because I love Halo. Yeah 30k ain't that much, but this is only the beginning. UGC even added ways to add to the prize pool. If everyone bought a shirt or even donated what they could we could make the prize pool worth it. That's the whole point of the grassroots thing. 343 finally gave us control and is letting US control the direction competitive Halo goes from here on out. We have the power now. Whether you're an OG CE competitor, a hardcore H2 player, or a scrubby H3 kid like myself it doesn't matter. What brings us all together is our love for "classic" Halo. Let's make 2019 the greatest year Halo has seen in a decade.

• Upvote (+1) 6

How tf do you volunteer??????

I happened across a tweet from UGC Matt that was asking for them about a week and a half ago. I clicked the link and filled out the application. I got super lucky bc I’m hardly ever on twitter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just got pit ts 4 times in a row and they're saying they fixed the weighting. What a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just got pit ts 4 times in a row and they're saying they fixed the weighting. What a joke.

Just having weighted gametypes doesn't mean such things will stop happening(if you're really unlucky you could only get Pit for the rest of your life), they'll need to implement an algorithm to fix repeated gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 is trash, and I'll never support it (or even view it as "classic halo" because it's too slow & random), but its nostalgic to see older pros jumping back in.

This is definitely the best esports moment Halo has had since MLG ZBNS Reach tournament. Hopefully the next step is using a better game.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

HCE and 2 WILL NOT bring the crowd H3 can though. That is the hard pill

Doesnt mean it isnt trash (harder pill)

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 3

HCE and 2 WILL NOT bring the crowd H3 can though. That is the hard pill

I bet it could. Especially if all the CE/H2 kids stopped crying about how shit H3 is and used that energy to organize grassroots tournaments however big or small. Only thing stopping it is that CE and H2 are dog shit on MCC. Hopefully they get fixed soon.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I bet it could. Especially if all the CE/H2 kids stopped crying about how shit H3 is and used that energy to organize grassroots tournaments however big or small. Only thing stopping it is that CE and H2 are dog shit on MCC. Hopefully they get fixed soon.

Man I love CE and H2, but they just won't be able to do for the scene what Halo 3 will, especially CE. As much as I love playing and watching that game, it's over 17 years old at this point. CE is so much different than even H2 and H3, let alone the newer games, that a pretty significant disconnect can happen when watching, if you're not familiar with the games mechanics. I can see grassroots CE 2v2's happening and maybe some side station stuff, and doing relatively well, but the larger events need to be Halo 3. Regardless of the fact that it's the least skill based of the original trilogy, at least in my opinion, it needs to be Halo 3. It was the largest game, probably most peoples favorite Halo title, and even though it's over a decade old, it still has the cultural relevance to bring in players, viewers, and money.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I honestly wouldn't call them CE/H2 kids. The longer I've played and really paid attention the more it seems like there are people who actually play/grind CE/2 and then there is an outspoken community of people who don't actually do a lot of playing but are very opinionated. Which is fine and everything but they are different groups of people with varying individual opinions. Most reasonable people can enjoy their own game and acknowledge the merits of others when they exist.

For example I'm a fan of the original trilogy as a whole but recognize that Halo 3 was the height of Halo's popularity and the one of those three with a somewhat timeless graphical design which is what enables it have a large fan base and look relevant in 2018 (arguably better than H5) for a viewer trying to clearly see and understand the game. Halo 5 does have some great supporting features like the observer mode that H3 just doesn't have on top of much better shot registration online though.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Agreed. Was discussing with some randoms in queue the other night about how Halo 3 has also aged the best of the original trilogy. I love H2, but the textures and everything look very boxy and dated. Halo 3 has a slightly less gritty art style that for some reason still looks pretty good today. And HCE looks old as shit obviously (though it will always be my favorite). I can't tell you how many times over the years people walked in while I was playing H3 and asked"what Halo is this?"

Man I love CE and H2, but they just won't be able to do for the scene what Halo 3 will, especially CE. As much as I love playing and watching that game, it's over 17 years old at this point. CE is so much different than even H2 and H3, let alone the newer games, that a pretty significant disconnect can happen when watching, if you're not familiar with the games mechanics. I can see grassroots CE 2v2's happening and maybe some side station stuff, and doing relatively well, but the larger events need to be Halo 3. Regardless of the fact that it's the least skill based of the original trilogy, at least in my opinion, it needs to be Halo 3. It was the largest game, probably most peoples favorite Halo title, and even though it's over a decade old, it still has the cultural relevance to bring in players, viewers, and money.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I honestly wouldn't call them CE/H2 kids. The longer I've played and really paid attention the more it seems like there are people who actually play/grind CE/2 and then there is an outspoken community of people who don't actually do a lot of playing but are very opinionated. Which is fine and everything but they are different groups of people with varying individual opinions. Most reasonable people can enjoy their own game and acknowledge the merits of others when they exist.

For example I'm a fan of the original trilogy as a whole but recognize that Halo 3 was the height of Halo's popularity and the one of those three with a somewhat timeless graphical design which is what enables it to look relevant (arguably better) than even Halo 5 for a viewer trying to clearly see and understand the game but Halo 5 has some great supporting features like the observer mode that H3 just doesn't have on top of much better shot registration online.

All I'm saying is that all three games can exist along side each other. Why can't we have tournaments for all three? I agree H3 should be the main title, but why not have CE 2v2 and H2 4v4 along side it? It'd be sick to see people competing in all Halo's at an event.

• Upvote (+1) 2

All I'm saying is that all three games can exist along side each other. Why can't we have tournaments for all three? I agree H3 should be the main title, but why not have CE 2v2 and H2 4v4 along side it? It'd be sick to see people competing in all Halo's at an event.

Honestly its just demand. I'd love to see it but the community/viewership has to exist to justify it to the people who may be willing to host these events. I feel like trying to piggy back off of H3 and get side events for the others is the easiest way in until someone can prove the demand exists for the others on their own

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is halo ce going to pull more viewers? No. Can ce pull more people? I can see 128 teams but not 500 people lol. though I didn't see 200 people for halo 3 before UGC, but lets stay very realistic for this post

Can ce help put halo back on track to a top esports? I believe so. The smash community grew hosting events for multiple games. People who played pm picked up melee and vice versa. Same for smash 4 and these games are just as different as halo.

Theres already grass roots in place for ce. Theres already equipment for ce. Theres already people playing pre esports hype. The only thing missing is for 343 to get ce into a working state.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1