CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Respawn promised to carry forth the legacy of CoD 4 and MW2 but both TF 1 and 2 failed pretty hard in that aspect. They're alright games but don't have that fun factor that OG IW delivered. 

Can't really talk on Apex because Battle Royale isn't my thing but from what I heard they're dropping the ball pretty hard on post launch support. 

Bottom line is the old IW magic is gone. 

i dunno man titanfall 2 was fun as hell

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

Loved it except for... The titans, lol. Still love the game, and like it more than all CoD's I've played.

Titanfall 2 was released a week after BF1 and a week before whatever cod came out that year purposefully by EA to steal a few more COD sales.

Which is why it had a shit population. That's not on the game. That's just usual EA bullshit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Basu said:

(they didn't even cast the same voice actor lul).

This bit is bothering me far more than it reasonably should

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Respawn promised to carry forth the legacy of CoD 4 and MW2 but both TF 1 and 2 failed pretty hard in that aspect. They're alright games but don't have that fun factor that OG IW delivered. 

Can't really talk on Apex because Battle Royale isn't my thing but from what I heard they're dropping the ball pretty hard on post launch support. 

Bottom line is the old IW magic is gone. 

TF1 was a mixed bag, but TF2 is almost universally praised for both SP and MP, it just was given the worst release window in FPS history. Apex has phenomenal gameplay and is only being dragged down by Fortnite players who are used to developers drip-feeding redundant clone weapons week by week as "post launch content".

Apex might be a bit dry at the moment in terms of supplementary content but its gameplay allows it to stand on its own, I wouldn't dig on Respawn as drastically as you are framing it. In fact I think its one of the only competently designed shooters available at the moment.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Infinity said:

TF1 was a mixed bag, but TF2 is almost universally praised for both SP and MP, it just was given the worst release window in FPS history. Apex has phenomenal gameplay and is only being dragged down by Fortnite players who are used to developers drip-feeding redundant clone weapons week by week as "post launch content".

Apex might be a bit dry at the moment in terms of supplementary content but its gameplay allows it to stand on its own, I wouldn't dig on Respawn as drastically as you are framing it. In fact I think its one of the only competently designed shooters available at the moment.

You have no idea how sad I am at how short lived the Apex hype seemed, and now Fortnite is back on top for what seems like forever.

It's so boring, and not competitive at all. I don't get it man.

4 hours ago, Craneteam said:

It is, but it's also incredibly void of any reason to replay it. Campaign is obviously dope but the MP really lacked any longevity which is why it's been a ghost town for years now.

2 hours ago, LoftiestTea33 said:

Titanfall 2 was released a week after BF1 and a week before whatever cod came out that year purposefully by EA to steal a few more COD sales.

Which is why it had a shit population. That's not on the game. That's just usual EA bullshit.

People love to say this, but 1) it was Respawn who chose that date, not EA and 2) the game had a rough start obviously it also had an insane amount of support from the community. Who here hasn't seen a "TF2 wasn't killed, it was MuRdeReD" or "TF2 -  most underrated FPS of the decade" video? If the game was really that good people would play it and tell their friends about it.

1 hour ago, Infinity said:

I've always seen in that TF1 was praised for doing things differently but suffered from lack of content for a 60$ game. TF2 on the other hand has a great campaign but the MP has some glaring balance problems, no custom games or ranked mode, DLC was meh and tons of other problems like hitreg and servers.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:54 PM, Trespa5s said:

Guess he is finally tired of getting smacked by Lethul

2 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Guess he is finally tired of getting smacked by Lethul

Not enough real LAN in Halo anymore (when Rec loses events)

I am very excited for cross-platform play in CoD4 2 and the precedent it sets. 

5 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I am very excited for cross-platform play in CoD4 2 and the precedent it sets. 

Cross platform is currently only available to those who pre-order the Digital Deluxe Gold Collectors Anniversary : Evolved Season Pass. :kappa:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

Titanfall 1's core gameplay was much better than 2's, but 2 is still a great game. They made a lot of weird dumb changes just for the sake of it. You could attribute the lack of longevity of the game (though this is a little overblown - you can still find matches on Xbox no problem) to many things but I don't think the core gameplay is one of them.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, Basu said:

2) the game had a rough start obviously it also had an insane amount of support from the community. Who here hasn't seen a "TF2 wasn't killed, it was MuRdeReD" or "TF2 -  most underrated FPS of the decade" video? If the game was really that good people would play it and tell their friends about it.

This if the game was as good as everyone keeps saying, more people would eventually catch on and it’s population would be at least decent. But at the end of the day it’s just another run and gun shooter with a titan gimmick. The gameplay was good but it wasn’t unique or good enough to keep the game relevant. A bad start isn’t always the end of a game. Look at R6 Siege now. It had some troubles at the start, but as time went on Ubisoft kept supporting it and eventually it grew and became an FPS with a very solid population.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, andregr said:

This if the game was as good as everyone keeps saying, more people would eventually catch on and it’s population would be at least decent. But at the end of the day it’s just another run and gun shooter with a titan gimmick. The gameplay was good but it wasn’t unique or good enough to keep the game relevant. A bad start isn’t always the end of a game. Look at R6 Siege now. It had some troubles at the start, but as time went on Ubisoft kept supporting it and eventually it grew and became an FPS with a very solid population.

Siege is my response to anyone that says Halo 5's population is low because of the competition, not that its a bad game. In that case, why is Siege, a game that released a month or two after Halo 5, still in the Top 5 most played games on all 3 platforms 4 years after its original release, when Halo 5 is sitting in the high 20's at its peak. 

Oh yeah, its because Halo 5 isn't popular because it wasn't good. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Oh yeah, its because Halo 5 isn't popular because it wasn't good. 

Nah, that's an appeal to popularity, lol. Something being popular or unpopular doesn't mean it's inherently good or bad, as we see with weird popularity trends in gaming, past or present. It's just what hooks people. Something can be popular and still be pretty bad. And something can be great, but disliked, as we also know with post-launch cult followings.

A more realistic argument would be Halo 5 wasn't popular because it was more inaccessible to a casual audience on a mechanical level. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Nah, that's an appeal to popularity, lol. Something being popular or unpopular doesn't mean it's inherently good or bad, as we see with weird popularity trends in gaming, past or present. It's just what hooks people. Something can be popular and still be pretty bad. And something can be great, but disliked, as we also know with post-launch cult followings.

A more realistic argument would be Halo 5 wasn't popular because it was more inaccessible to a casual audience on a mechanical level. 

No, its because when people want to play a HALO game, they want to play a game that plays, looks and sounds like a Halo. 

Halo 5 doesn’t meet that criteria. 

Every single one of my friends who still play Halo gave up on that game after a month and returned it. And that’s because its the antithesis of a fun Halo experience. 

I just hope we have another event at a K-pop convention

3 minutes ago, darkstar said:

No, its because when people want to play a HALO game, they want to play a game that plays, looks and sounds like a Halo. 

Halo 5 doesn’t meet that criteria. 

Every single one of my friends who still play Halo gave up on that game after a month and returned it. And that’s because its the antithesis of a fun Halo experience. 

Cool

Just now, darkstar said:

So, a criteria set that can and does change by title, and is kinda arbitrary, lol. 

Besides, I was just saying the more realistic argument would be mechanics and accessibility, playing the game. Not an appeal to popularity which is fallacious.

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Halo 5 wasn't popular because it was more inaccessible to a casual audience on a mechanical level. 

Could you elaborate on this?  Do you feel like the skill floor for effective player movement was too high?

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Could you elaborate on this?  Do you feel like the skill floor for effective player movement was too high?

I don't understand the wording (teehee), so I'll just say that the movement skill was too much for most people to grasp. Flying around the map, when to fly, how to. It's all something that is super intensive to learn for comp players, let alone a casual audience that may only jump onto the game for an hour or two. More so than other Halo titles. And I feel that entirely was a part as to why 5 wasn't as popular. Too advanced.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think learning the nuances of the H5 movement at higher levels was ever on the radar for a casual or even most "competitive" (in the sense of someone who prefers that type of playlist and not necessarily skill) players as even a consideration or thought. I think running around in H5 just felt like work to anyone and a lot of people didn't enjoy it. The comparison has been made a million times between driving automatic or manual and H5 definitely brings that same type of argument to movement in an FPS. No matter who you were or your skill level you just pressed a lot more buttons to do really simple stuff and that's going to be noticeable to anyone with no real deep dive or thought process behind it

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't understand the wording (teehee), so I'll just say that the movement skill was too much for most people to grasp. Flying around the map, when to fly, how to. It's all something that is super intensive to learn for comp players, let alone a casual audience that may only jump onto the game for an hour or two. More so than other Halo titles. And I feel that entirely was a part as to why 5 wasn't as popular. Too advanced.

Yeah. Because nobdoy asked for advanced movement in Halo.. lol