CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

39 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Honestly if anyone tries to put a negative spin on FACEIT doing a Halo event then you're a bit of a negative Nancy

fucking FACEIT. Have you seen the shows they put on with ECS??? this is only a good thing

The only thing anyone could complain about this event right now would if it were region locked, which it isn't. 

ECS wouldn't be a good comparison of what we are going to see here though. Just seems like throwing that about is just setting us up for disappointment. 

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

i dont think the gfinity events were any higher than 25k iirc

Gfinity london was $125k or higher

8 minutes ago, Morachip said:

My only real issue with the announcement is that the blog restates that TOs within the grassroots program and their new style of partners will be streaming from their own channels.  I think that the /Halo channel should host regardless of who is putting on the tournament. 

I suppose I just don't really get why they (Halo/343) wouldn't host and if that could be answered sufficiently that would be great.

These organizers are running these events front to back. The plan with Grassroots is to build partners so that when Infinite hits there are multiple partners that are invested in the growth of the scene. It would make no business sense for them to invest in something when they are forced to do things that they don't get any benefit from. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Zavehi said:

These organizers are running these events front to back. The plan with Grassroots is to build partners so that when Infinite hits there are multiple partners that are invested in the growth of the scene. It would make no business sense for them to invest in something when they are forced to do things that they don't get any benefit from. 

They'd be getting exposure that they wouldn't normally get due to the potential audience that the Halo channel could bring in, allowing them to build their brand up.

If the end goal is to build the scene then 343 should be doing everything they can to show off the events that their partners are bringing to life.

IDK, it seems counter intuitive to me.

Happy for the EU folks but still hoping we'll get an NA event announced soon. Hard to imagine a lot of NA teams will cross the pond for a $25k prize pool, so I hope something is announced soon so as to not leave them all in limbo.

1 minute ago, Morachip said:

They'd be getting exposure that they wouldn't normally get due to the potential audience that the Halo channel could bring in, allowing them to build their brand up.

If the end goal is to build the scene then 343 should be doing everything they can to show off the events that their partners are bringing to life.

Oh the classic "exposure" sell. I'm sure Dreamhack, Faceit, etc is really excited to pay for tournaments to then get the zero exposure they would get from running a tournament on the Halo channel (where they get there name in the corner) when they are consistently running bigger tournaments in bigger games on their own channels where they have full control over everything. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Morachip said:

at that point, 343 should be funding the entire event. if 343 intends for the hcs to take over once infinite hits, then go on and build the hcs brand and channel. but if they plan to go the valve route and just supply some prizing, then this way is fine. honestly, as long as we get a mainstage i'll be happy. and lets be honest, the viewership will be low no matter. the eu events have always had lower numbers and that'll be especially true if no na teams are coming out for it

2 hours ago, Zavehi said:

Oh the classic "exposure" sell. I'm sure Dreamhack, Faceit, etc is really excited to pay for tournaments to then get the zero exposure they would get from running a tournament on the Halo channel (where they get there name in the corner) when they are consistently running bigger tournaments in bigger games on their own channels where they have full control over everything. 

I suppose, considering we just watched a tournament on a twitch channel created a week before the event with what to me seemed like limited promotion from Dreamhack themselves it just feels like the Halo scene is getting shafted because of this arrangement. 

I don't get how having /Halo host the channel takes control away from the TOs. 

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

NO.

The only way Halo dies is for it to spawn a spiritual successor to continue its legacy. That is to say, for Halo to be dad.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

8 hours ago, Gobias said:

The only way Halo dies is for it to spawn a spiritual successor to continue its legacy. That is to say, for Halo to be dad.

We all know it's been dead since Columbus 2012.

• Like (+1) 3

All joking aside. 

What is an actual dead game? The definition. 

All servers taken down and no variations anywhere with zero population? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

All joking aside. 

What is an actual dead game? The definition. 

All servers taken down and no variations anywhere with zero population? 

Basically, yea. If there are people playing it, it's not dead. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Basically, yea. If there are people playing it, it's not dead. 

Confirmed. Halo is dad but not dead. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

With all due respect we see these tweets with every cod launch, alongside cod players tweeting the ''this will be the best cod ever''.

Remake, Release, Rinse, Repeat. (yearly)

• Like (+1) 7

CoD: WW2, Finally, back to boots on the ground, this is gonna be good! *Game is shit*

BLOPS4, Finally, Treyarch, they always make good games, and they promised no lootbox exclusive weapons! *Game is shit, and has lootbox exclusive weapons*

CoD MW, Finally, another Modern Warfare gane, this is going to be awesome! You get the idea.....

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

CoD: WW2, Finally, back to boots on the ground, this is gonna be good! *Game is shit*

BLOPS4, Finally, Treyarch, they always make good games, and they promised no lootbox exclusive weapons! *Game is shit, and has lootbox exclusive weapons*

CoD MW, Finally, another Modern Warfare gane, this is going to be awesome! You get the idea.....

I don't get it. The last Modern Warfare game was complete garbage, Ghosts was also not very well liked. People also suddenly forgot that IW is the worst of the three CoD devs by far so this is literally just a nostalgia cash grab. CoD 4 was a masterpiece, MW2 was flawed but fun and then CoD mostly just turned to shit with the exception of BO2. Sorry but you can't build a game's entire hype around Captain Price returning (they didn't even cast the same voice actor lul).

• Like (+1) 6

45 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

yeah i have no clue why they think a franchised cod league will work for a game that has yearly releases. even if one is really, really good, you know another dev is making one to replace it. mw2 was the last cod multiplayer i really enjoyed and cod 4 was hands down the best of the last decade.

and no way any non-established cod players make it into the franchised cwl next game. they shouldve already switched if they really wanted to do that

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts on the matter xD

although I don’t know why I said Halo every had the prospect of going back to its roots, I think the past 3 games we’ve known it’s not well before release

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Basu said:

I don't get it. The last Modern Warfare game was complete garbage, Ghosts was also not very well liked. People also suddenly forgot that IW is the worst of the three CoD devs by far so this is literally just a nostalgia cash grab. CoD 4 was a masterpiece, MW2 was flawed but fun and then CoD mostly just turned to shit with the exception of BO2. Sorry but you can't build a game's entire hype around Captain Price returning (they didn't even cast the same voice actor lul).

The game is probably going to end up being bad, but IW has had a recent influx of old talent. Post MW2, a lot of devs left IW and formed Respawn. The team left behind did a meh job with every title since, but most of the OG team is back for this title so.... there is a little hope. 

It'd be cool to see more Halo pros show why we make the best gamers though :lxthul:

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, RTSxRagnarok said:

The game is probably going to end up being bad, but IW has had a recent influx of old talent. Post MW2, a lot of devs left IW and formed Respawn. The team left behind did a meh job with every title since, but most of the OG team is back for this title so.... there is a little hope. 

It'd be cool to see more Halo pros show why we make the best gamers though :lxthul:

Respawn promised to carry forth the legacy of CoD 4 and MW2 but both TF 1 and 2 failed pretty hard in that aspect. They're alright games but don't have that fun factor that OG IW delivered. 

Can't really talk on Apex because Battle Royale isn't my thing but from what I heard they're dropping the ball pretty hard on post launch support. 

Bottom line is the old IW magic is gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

I miss Kiefer Sutherland screaming in my ear the entire match.

• Like (+1) 1