FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

after running other halo events, they have to have know the costs of running this sans 343's financial help. and if they're going for investment into the future of Halo and building up a channel, the way this event was showcased can't be a good look for them. dream hack halo events of the past definitely had all the mistakes of a 343 produced show, but like @Zavehi said, this felt like an afterthought. the esa orange county event had a better set up

more than anything this makes me worried about the future of grassroots. production overall has been pretty lackluster and viewership is just gone. i feel that 343 should take the reigns for the last few events and use them to pump some infinite content out and really build up hype for the future. this hands off approach isnt cutting it. at this rate, i dont see the scene surviving until infinite. then again the first hwc was massive off the back of h4 so hopefully i'm wrong

Again there will always be a huge gap between grassroots and actual HCS events, ones an event with 343 help and support the others an actual HCS developer paid event. All the DH before have been official HCS events and i'm sure ESA was also one too as it was fed teams from pro league (ESA also has the huge advantage that they have there own LAN premises with everything inside already rigged up and ready to go). I dunno, i'm not trying to justify it btw, just trying to expand on why these events will be so different from the past ones.

HCS 2016 was also basically Xbox's baby and Halo 5's birthday present rolled into one with all the funding in the world, i think they will absolutely do the same for Infinite.

Agree with all you guys here. As an attendee, I can tell you that the quality of this event was FAR worse than any other I have seen in recent memory. The lack of a mainstage was very jarring from day 1, and killed a significant amount of hype in the venue. No facecams or listen-ins had a negative impact on the viewer experience in the venue and I'm sure on stream as well. It was just not a great experience overall, and you could tell the crowd felt the same way as there was MUCH less hype in the building compared to other events. Having been to both UGC and this event, I can tell you that whatever UGC's problems were, it was still a far better experience than this. More than anything, this just felt apathetic which is the worst possible feeling for an event.

• Like (+1) 5

I feel kind of weird with grassroots. To me, a tournament with $50k prizing is not grassroots. I've pitched this before, but I wouldn't mind seeing Halo take an FGC approach. Have local tournaments (Microsoft store tournaments), regional tournaments (grassroots), and major tournaments (HCS events).

While stream quality is important, I feel the live event experience should always be the best way to spectate an event, and it seems like Dreamhack messed up in this aspect unless you were also interested in some of their offerings outside of Halo.

Do you think we could get some different Maps/Gametypes for the next events? We've seen the same H3 settings since the MLG days. Might be nice to see a sandbox forge map or something different at least. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Commander Eagle said:

Agree with all you guys here. As an attendee, I can tell you that the quality of this event was FAR worse than any other I have seen in recent memory. The lack of a mainstage was very jarring from day 1, and killed a significant amount of hype in the venue. No facecams or listen-ins had a negative impact on the viewer experience in the venue and I'm sure on stream as well. It was just not a great experience overall, and you could tell the crowd felt the same way as there was MUCH less hype in the building compared to other events. Having been to both UGC and this event, I can tell you that whatever UGC's problems were, it was still a far better experience than this. More than anything, this just felt apathetic which is the worst possible feeling for an event.

and dont get me started with denial/rec losers semi being played off stream. that is such an important match and to miss that is esl levels of unacceptable

• Like (+1) 3

It'd be sick to see frosty, eco, bubu and shottzy try to team.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Many of the tweets in that thread have since been deleted, could you fill us in on the details?

30 minutes ago, EddyAOS said:

Many of the tweets in that thread have since been deleted, could you fill us in on the details?

Snipedown 

- I am backing up my teammate, nothing personal

- bloodshots

- lethul left us 2 days before roster lock

Lethul's girlfriend 

- yall lost so give Tox respect 

- sorry not sorry #passionate 

Lethul 

- why the fuck are y'all having a Twitter war

This is what I remember scrolling through

• Like (+1) 1

From reading through this Twitter thread and watching the actual videos, it appears as though Jaxx was in the wrong in the Takedown-Jaxx incident

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, EddyAOS said:

From reading through this Twitter thread and watching the actual videos, it appears as though Jaxx was in the wrong in the Takedown-Jaxx incident

Greatest redemption arc of 2019. It gets worse the deeper down the rabbit hole you go. People are shady.

Reading and watching through all the Twitter drama that unfolded this weekend I feel for Takedown. Yes he shouldn't have punched Jax in the face but after a while you can only take so much before you snap, especially when you're winning a money match and someone has a camera ready to get a reaction out of you. Takedown does have his problems and a lot of controversy to him but that shouldn't be an excuse to bully him. 

I know this was more on Dreamhack since its the grassroots program but i do hope @Tashitakes measures for this not to happen again at future HCS events 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Skor said:

Reading and watching through all the Twitter drama that unfolded this weekend I feel for Takedown. Yes he shouldn't have punched Jax in the face but after a while you can only take so much before you snap, especially when you're winning a money match and someone has a camera ready to get a reaction out of you. Takedown does have his problems and a lot of controversy to him but that shouldn't be an excuse to bully him. 

I know this was more on Dreamhack since its the grassroots program but i do hope @Tashitakes measures for this not to happen again at future HCS events 

You made a really good point. I was convinced only one side was really in the wrong until i saw that people were ready and taking a video of the incident before it happened hoping to record the reaction. Just a shitty situation all around. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, pddschild said:

Snipedown 

- I am backing up my teammate, nothing personal

- bloodshots

- lethul left us 2 days before roster lock

Lethul's girlfriend 

- yall lost so give Tox respect 

- sorry not sorry #passionate 

Lethul 

- why the fuck are y'all having a Twitter war

This is what I remember scrolling through

I mean that's basically it.  Snip3down and Ola were complaining about how the LAN felt shitty, and then it all kicked off. 

Damn only 25k prize pool. Doubt any NA teams will be attending

12 minutes ago, Llamaas said:

Damn only 25k prize pool. Doubt any NA teams will be attending

i dont think the gfinity events were any higher than 25k iirc

Honestly if anyone tries to put a negative spin on FACEIT doing a Halo event then you're a bit of a negative Nancy

fucking FACEIT. Have you seen the shows they put on with ECS??? this is only a good thing

• Like (+1) 5

My only real issue with the announcement is that the blog restates that TOs within the grassroots program and their new style of partners will be streaming from their own channels.  I think that the /Halo channel should host regardless of who is putting on the tournament. 

I suppose I just don't really get why they (Halo/343) wouldn't host and if that could be answered sufficiently that would be great.

3 minutes ago, Morachip said:

My only real issue with the announcement is that the blog restates that TOs within the grassroots program and their new style of partners will be streaming from their own channels.  I think that the /Halo channel should host regardless of who is putting on the tournament. 

I suppose I just don't really get why they (Halo/343) wouldn't host and if that could be answered sufficiently that would be great.

From where I'm sitting it doesn't really look like they're interested in growing a consistent viewership or anything like that with the grassroots events and its more about allowing anyone who can meet some guidelines to try out having some sort of Halo event for whatever experience or growth that might provide that TO. I guess it does give them a trial run and connections to those people for future events and other games which could be beneficial