CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Kind of want Neighbor and Ace to get an event win here. Also Frosty is a machine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Zavehi said:

Nothing more annoying then FFA finals before the GF. Hype and viewership killer.

They never learn.

Agree 100% It definitely should've been before WB/LB. 

---

This tournament's level of gameplay is out of this world. I've never seen Halo as good as it has been at Austin and now Dallas.

6 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

ahh takedown

That guy is such an idiot. I went to an MS store event where he was there and they told him he couldn’t come back because he wouldn’t stop shouting obscenities with the store full of parents and kids.

Lethal always look like his asshole is getting finger popped under the desk.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Can we take a moment to appriciate that is has heen aboit 3 years since we've  had a grand finals not involving snakebite, lethul, royal 2, and frosty (when they are at the event)

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Wanted to see Rec take another one, oh well.  Tox proving why they're one of the best and

:weback:...  

To waiting...

At least we'll have something to talk about in a week.

• Like (+1) 1

Felt like Fallen really ran out of gas, which made for a lame finals. GG to my boy LethuL :D

Tox is just so dominant.  GGs to them!

Here's hoping we get an event sometime soon

• Like (+1) 2

Some shade going on on Twitter rn. Really takes me back xD.

16 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Its actually pretty pathetic. Imagine having your GF bitch at other players when YOUR team won simply because they were upset at the state of the connection during the LAN.

Just let the Halo scene die. 

35 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Come on now hit us with some links lol

9 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Come on now hit us with some links lol

It's entirely possible that the people complaining about the bad connection are doing so to cover up or make excuses for their poor performance. I mean, I'm not playing on it, so they certainly know better than me, but as an observer, I haven't seen any more bullshit bloodshots in any of the three events. They could be doing this without even being consciously aware that they're doing it. That kind of attitude isn't uncommon, even among the best winners in the world.

But to suggest that Ola's tweet is some kind of dig at TOX is out of this world crazy. Everyone's playing on the same bullshit, it's not even the kind of shade that would make sense. This seems very similar to the time when Eric tweeted out GGs after finally beating CLG in a scrim in H5 and Lethul lost it for no reason. From my perspective, there was no malicious intent in either tweet, and Lethul constantly seeing it from others is beneath the dude who hasn't missed a finals since the previous President. The only person I see being petty here is Lethul.

Regardless, Ola, Snipedown, and Lethul should all take notes from Snakebite and Roybox. Win or lose, those guys are always respectful, complimentary to whoever beat them, and rarely make any kind of complaints.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bebopbandit said:

It's entirely possible that the people complaining about the bad connection are doing so to cover up or make excuses for their poor performance. I mean, I'm not playing on it, so they certainly know better than me, but as an observer, I haven't seen any more bullshit bloodshots in any of the three events. They could be doing this without even being consciously aware that they're doing it. That kind of attitude isn't uncommon, even among the best winners in the world.

But to suggest that Ola's tweet is some kind of dig at TOX is out of this world crazy. Everyone's playing on the same bullshit, it's not even the kind of shade that would make sense. This seems very similar to the time when Eric tweeted out GGs after finally beating CLG in a scrim in H5 and Lethul lost it for no reason. From my perspective, there was no malicious intent in either tweet, and Lethul constantly seeing it from others is beneath the dude who hasn't missed a finals since the previous President. The only person I see being petty here is Lethul.

Regardless, Ola, Snipedown, and Lethul should all take notes from Snakebite and Roybox. Win or lose, those guys are always respectful, complimentary to whoever beat them, and rarely make any kind of complaints.

Agree but I don’t think anyone was being disrespectful until lethuls troll tweet and his GF calling Ola shady. Snip3down really didn’t even say anything until lethuls GF started calling Ola shady. He said they lost their momentum and got rolled and GGs and then mentioned how he got blood shots. 

The excuse about how they only say it because they lost completely falls flat too if she looked and saw that Gabriel also agreed it was bad except for Austin, and his team if I’m not mistaken got around the same placing all 3 events. It loses even more steam considering that Rec didn’t even get knocked out by Tox. It’s like they think every tweet by Snip3down and his teammates revolve around them.  Why not go after Gab? 

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Zavehi said:

As far as Grassroots events go, I'd rather watch UGC fuck up trying to do something big then watch Dreamhack just do nothing special at all.

Me and you are on the same wave length 99.9% of the time but honestly the last 2 UGC events I've watched have been almost unwatchable and boardline a meme with the sound issues.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheSimms said:

Me and you are on the same wave length 99.9% of the time but honestly the last 2 UGC events I've watched have been almost unwatchable and boardline a meme with the sound issues.

i normally have to watch on mobile with no sound but hot damn i can't think of any reason to not be able to have a mainstage for such a big event. or to not broadcast on the halo twitch. did the stream ever peak above 5k? no face cams. no listenins that i saw. this felt like a basement lan than a major event. the grassroots idea is noble, but that was what we needed year one. and we need you, @Onset, and walshy back for casting

6 hours ago, TheSimms said:

I feel you. I've been really critical of UGC (and I was at the last one so I can't speak to the stream but I wrote up a big thing on everything wrong with that event somewhere on here) and don't think they should be given any more Grassroots money to run events unless there is some major change over there or they prove they can do it well again. They've been living off that 2015 event for years.

This whole event just felt like an afterthought though after it was seemingly hyped up to be the "big" event from this little run of H3 events. No stage, no cams, no listen ins and pretty minimal production. I get that it's only a 50k H3 event but DH could actually pull off what UGC tries to do so it's just a bit meh. Best game play we've had since the switch to H3 though and talent is great as always.

Be interesting to see who they are partnering with for the next couple of events.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I hope @Clap and MLG decide to run an event at some point but with the viewership numbers we get now I can see why they wouldn’t.

Honestly it feels like the viewership numbers have been consistently lower then even when Halo 5 at the end of it’s life which is a pretty sad statistic.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Craneteam said:

i normally have to watch on mobile with no sound but hot damn i can't think of any reason to not be able to have a mainstage for such a big event. or to not broadcast on the halo twitch. did the stream ever peak above 5k? no face cams. no listenins that i saw. this felt like a basement lan than a major event. the grassroots idea is noble, but that was what we needed year one. and we need you, @Onset, and walshy back for casting

Playing devils advocate here, not saying there is a right or wrong nor any of this been a fact, just my persoanl POV to maybe shed light on it.

''i can't think of any reason to not be able to have a main stage for such a big event'' ''no face cams. no listen ins''

This above all comes down to the events been run at cost imo, i cant see DH making any money - only losing, as such some stuff will naturally have to be cut to stop costs bleeding out. Main stage and all that jazz comes when developers are paying for events but with Grassroots only supporting prize pools to the best of my knowledge I personally think we are lucky to be even getting anything at all, these TO's are putting events on for free and taking a hit on the cost.

''or to not broadcast on the halo twitch''

Firstly i wholeheartedly agree that a new channel is always going to be shit compared to using the halo channel, if 343 don't want to make it a full blown official halo event then i'd personally ignore the halo twitch but at the very least use twitch.tv/hcs and build that for the esport going forward long term.

The other 2 parts, 1) building for the future, if TO's are going to tender for Halo Infinite then building up there channel and brand now is a great way to start the ball rolling, its their product essentially and some like to keep it in house. 2) money, again if TO's are doing this at cost any ad revenue they can pull back or sponsorship space they can sell on the show is well worth it and helps the event out in every way.

''we need you, @Onset, and walshy back for casting''

Again not speaking for anyone but myself here but caster costs can be quite high dependant on how many you want working, who you want working and for how long you want them there. On top of that when you start to venture for casters outside of NA the cost can easily start to spiral up due to flights been like 1-2K minimum (If they also ship in observers that's additional costs too). The next question is do casters even want to attend certain events if the production value and resources/tools to do the job are low? Been on poorly produced show can in turn hurt the casters brand and its also just a long ass drag to cast if your not given the right tools or poor equipment/sound level/screens etc etc for the job at hand.

Take all this with a pinch of salt btw but i'm just trying to help some see that these events may be rough around the edges but until we get actual HCS events again people are doing whatever they can to at least try and give us events under the Grassroots programme.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheSimms said:

Playing devils advocate here, not saying there is a right or wrong nor any of this been a fact, just my persoanl POV to maybe shed light on it.

''i can't think of any reason to not be able to have a main stage for such a big event'' ''no face cams. no listen ins''

This above all comes down to the events been run at cost imo, i cant see DH making any money - only losing, as such some stuff will naturally have to be cut to stop further deficits. Main stage and all that jazz comes when developers are paying for events but with Grassroots only supporting prize pools to the best of my knowledge and I think we are lucky to be getting anything at all, these TO's are putting events on for free and taking a hit on the cost.

''or to not broadcast on the halo twitch''

firstly i agree that a new channel is always going to be shit compared to using the halo channel, if 343 don't want to make it a full blown official halo event then id personally ignore the halo twitch but at the very least use twitch.tv/hcs and build that for the esport going forward.

the other 2 parts, 1) building for the future, if TO's are going to tender for Halo Infinite then building up there channel and brand now is a great way to start the ball rolling, its their product essentially and some like to keep it in house. 2) money, again if TO's are doing this at cost any ad revenue they can pull back or sponsorship space they can sell on their twitch is well worth it and helps the event out.

after running other halo events, they have to have know the costs of running this sans 343's financial help. and if they're going for investment into the future of Halo and building up a channel, the way this event was showcased can't be a good look for them. dream hack halo events of the past definitely had all the mistakes of a 343 produced show, but like @Zavehi said, this felt like an afterthought. the esa orange county event had a better set up

more than anything this makes me worried about the future of grassroots. production overall has been pretty lackluster and viewership is just gone. i feel that 343 should take the reigns for the last few events and use them to pump some infinite content out and really build up hype for the future. this hands off approach isnt cutting it. at this rate, i dont see the scene surviving until infinite. then again the first hwc was massive off the back of h4 so hopefully i'm wrong

• Like (+1) 1