CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

good talk about everything going on with optic if you're interested. some good talk about the halo team. you can tell it hurt hecz to lose them. at the end hecz said he's going to try and get one of the halo guys on to talk about their side of getting dropped

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

good talk about everything going on with optic if you're interested. some good talk about the halo team. you can tell it hurt hecz to lose them. at the end hecz said he's going to try and get one of the halo guys on to talk about their side of getting dropped

IIRC the deadline for the whole buyout thing was supposed to be the 30th/31st of May so we should know fully what's going  on with OpTic really shortly.  I hope Hecz is able to get it back and that story of going ham over the CoD team drama explains why they've been reluctant to sell to him. 

4 hours ago, Basu said:

then again I rarely get personally attacked over trivial shit like that.

Imagine having such a thin skin on the Internet

4 hours ago, Basu said:

I worded things a bit poorly I have to admit, but at the same time I thought this was all established narrative, at least around these parts.

You're telling me you went into the argument assuming everybody would agree with you, and when they didn't, you couldn't make your point properly, so you got emotional?

9 hours ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

Thrust is only slightly less detrimental to Halo's core gameplay loop than sprint. Nade Hitmarkers probably next up.

If you say it enough times, it might become true.

• Salt (-1) 1

7 hours ago, Basu said:

Still baffled that 343 is so adamant on keeping sprint that they'd rather remove thruster, which is way more advanced/modern than fucking sprint which every military shooter since 2007 has had.

We gotta remember this “leak” is from 4chan lol. I doubt any of it is true. No one actually knows 343s real intentions and we are just discussing one possibility. E3 is just a few weeks away, but honestly is it even likely that they will show Infinite gameplay at E3? Do they usually show gameplay trailers supposedly a year and a half out? I’m kind of just expecting a campaign trailer, some beta info and an update on Reach for MCC.

• Like (+1) 1

I really hope that the two of them do an Eavesdrop podcast together, that would be a great listen.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, RTSxRagnarok said:

I really hope that the two of them do an Eavesdrop podcast together, that would be a great listen.

hecz said he's gonna try and grab one of his old halo players and talk about that situation. not sure what he'd talk to tashi about though. anything i'd want to hear about (infinite, hcs when infinite drops) probably can't be talked about

• Like (+1) 2

Halo's movement, particularly as it relates to strafing and gunfights, has been pretty ass from the beginning. Thrust is a big part of the reason that H5 has the best in-fight movement in the series, along with the faster strafe and crouch. Slide is a much bigger problem and doesn't benefit the game at all.

I would prefer that the benefits of thrust be accomplished through better core movement mechanics and reduced (no) aim assists across the board, but very little is accomplished by hyperbolic critiques of H5 movement by people who don't seem to understand how the game actually works at Gold rank and above.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Are people really denying that thrust makes escaping easier

if you fight near a ledge or doorway (which h5 is full of) you always know that thrust is gonna be that get out of jail free card once your opponent is low. its aggravating and adds nothing inherently skillful to the game

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

If thrust is to stay, I'd prefer the distance traveled to be significantly lowered. Additionally, aim assist and magnetism across the board needs to be tanked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 5/26/2019 at 1:20 AM, Skor said:

Would really love to hear from 343 on why Sprint is staying. Its been explained and even demonstrated for years that turning up movement speed>sprint. 

they already answered this.

"immersion"

not even kidding. The majority (not all) think neutering gameplay is worth it if the player feels more immersed.

https://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/?page=300&tab=comments#comment-352824

• Like (+1) 2

"Outside of the more unified social experience, we currently plan to launch with two ranked playlists for Reach. The first is a ranked hardcore playlist with a format which will be familiar to fans of the existing H3 and H2C Hardcore playlists. Reach Hardcore will feature zero-bloom-no-sprint (ZBNS) settings across a collection of MLG V7 map and game variants. Our internal Pro Team is aiding us in locking down the final lineup here."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Riddler said:

they already answered this.

"immersion"

not even kidding. The majority (not all) think neutering gameplay is worth it if the player feels more immersed.

https://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/?page=300&tab=comments#comment-352824

I'm glad you shared this as I hadn't seen it before (being relatively new around here).  I know it'll never get answered but I can't help but wonder where the indication of "most Halo players expect to be able to sprint" comes from.  I've seen 343 devs spurn community surveys on if players want sprint or not as confirmation bias or otherwise an isolated survey from the larger community, but if their data is coming from a Waypoint survey or the like wouldn't they be doing the same thing?  Maybe a larger sample size but the people on Waypoint are generally going to fans of the 343 games, at least I would assume.  If someone could prove me wrong then be my guest (I know how unlikely this is to happen). 

It also reveals that try as they may, 343 is unable to fix the problems that sprint creates within Halo's combat loop.  The escapability problem can be minimized through the sprint ramp-up and delayed recharge but you can't get rid of it.  As long as sprint is in the game this problem will remain. 

I know it's been said before but seriously, you don't need sprint to make an FPS game fast paced.  Doom 2016 did this with an upped base movement speed, hell Halo 2 had a faced paced gameplay loop and that came out in 2004. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Upvote (+1) 1

REACH got my hyped. Let's take a trip down memory lane when I played against the legendary @bman with everyone's favorite @Ninja

the reason we got upset  round 5

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Are people really denying that thrust makes escaping easier

Thrust could still be an acceptable addition to the sandbox.

1. Increase recharge time. Make it take longer than it currently does.

2. Decrease and speed you travel at. Somewhere in the middle of Halo 4/Halo 5 speed and distance would be ideal.

3. A visual indication that the other player's thruster pack is charged. This way you can choose to hold off on shooting someone until they are clear of corners etc since you know they have it ready.

4. Give the utility weapon a significantly faster TTK than the recharge rate of the Thruster e.g 1s TTK and 3.5s recharge. 

1 hour ago, Morachip said:

I'm glad you shared this as I hadn't seen it before (being relatively new around here).  I know it'll never get answered but I can't help but wonder where the indication of "most Halo players expect to be able to sprint" comes from.  I've seen 343 devs spurn community surveys on if players want sprint or not as confirmation bias or otherwise an isolated survey from the larger community, but if their data is coming from a Waypoint survey or the like wouldn't they be doing the same thing?  Maybe a larger sample size but the people on Waypoint are generally going to fans of the 343 games, at least I would assume.  If someone could prove me wrong then be my guest (I know how unlikely this is to happen). 

It also reveals that try as they may, 343 is unable to fix the problems that sprint creates within Halo's combat loop.  The escapability problem can be minimized through the sprint ramp-up and delayed recharge but you can't get rid of it.  As long as sprint is in the game this problem will remain. 

I know it's been said before but seriously, you don't need sprint to make an FPS game fast paced.  Doom 2016 did this with an upped base movement speed, hell Halo 2 had a faced paced gameplay loop and that came out in 2004. 

Big surprise. When you poll people who play a bad game, it turns out they enjoy said game. If they polled the people who still play h3 on 360 at that time over h4,  they would get dif answers. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

REACH got my hyped. Let's take a trip down memory lane when I played against the legendary @bman with everyone's favorite @Ninja

the reason we got upset  round 5

6:05 in that first video begins the most Halo Reach moment I've seen in years

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

55 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

6:05 in that first video begins the most Halo Reach moment I've seen in years

mmm bloom

Imagine if you told people playing reach in 2010 that it will take 9 years for Halo Reach to have a ranked MLG playlist with no bloom no sprint.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Thrust could still be an acceptable addition to the sandbox.

1. Increase recharge time. Make it take longer than it currently does.

2. Decrease and speed you travel at. Somewhere in the middle of Halo 4/Halo 5 speed and distance would be ideal.

3. A visual indication that the other player's thruster pack is charged. This way you can choose to hold off on shooting someone until they are clear of corners etc since you know they have it ready.

4. Give the utility weapon a significantly faster TTK than the recharge rate of the Thruster e.g 1s TTK and 3.5s recharge. 

Agree with all besides #1. I'd decrease the cooldown to roughly 4s but heavily decrease the speed and distance traveled, making it more of a "slight strafe" than "zap across the entire room in a split second" ability. Halo is a run and gun game, not a hero shooter with cooldowns like OW. If you increase the cooldown to something like 10s it will massively handicap Halo's fast paced fight-after-fight nature and small maps will become a nightmare because you're always gonna be waiting for that cooldown. IMO it's such a lame gameplay fix to put abilties on long cooldowns instead of just balancing the ability correctly in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1