FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Hard Way said:

I mean the comp settings shouldn’t need to be wildly different from the base game.

In an ideal world, I agree.  However that would require the game to be built ground up to be competitive which isn't realistic when the vast majority of players both in Halo and other games are casual players who don't care that there is, say, AR starts or radar. 

22 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

We've argued in circles around universal settings for years, and usually there's a little bit of difference in personal definitions of what that would entail, but Hard Way is absolutely right in that the game should be designed, from the ground up, with universal settings in mind, with at least 3 goals:

1. Automatic-weapons should not use RNG-based dampeners to reduce their effectiveness at range.  Whatever method -IS- used to reduce their effectiveness at range, it should be something skillful players can manipulate in a way that enables them to use the weapon better than an unskilled player.
  2. The starting weapon should be able to be an effective starting weapon regardless of map size and scale.  Big Team Battle / Warzone should not need to start with a rifle because the 4v4 playlist starting weapons are ineffective outside of a certain range.
  3. Power weapons should be consistent neutral objectives that players learn to plan and play around obtaining.  They should not be randomized drops, nor should tracking their spawn timer require three excel spreadsheets, an astrological chart, and the time of death of the red team's second player's father.  (I'm looking at you, Halo 3/Halo Reach base settings.)

If these three things are taken care of, it's a lot easier to make settings consistent throughout the game...but we have yet to have a Halo game where all three points were covered in a single design space.

With regards to point #2, you can see that one of my personal definitions of Universal Settings includes that BTB should not have different starting weapons -- the only settings difference should be the inclusion of vehicles and the expansion of the sandbox to include weapons designed solely to shut down vehicles (though...I also believe the Spartan Laser should be redesigned to require more skill to kill a vehicle and also be more effective against infantry, because I don't think weapons should solely be designed for an anti-vehicle space.)

I agree with all of that (ESPECIALLY the starting weapon point).  However, those are only a portion of the settings in general.  Certain things can, and absolutely should, be universal.  However there is no way to make, say, social TS identical to competitive TS unless the base game itself is competitive.  There are always going to be SOME changes (maybe small ones, but they'll still be there).  So I guess my point is make it as universal as you can, but don't balk at adjusting things for competitive if something needs tweaking. 

2 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

(though...I also believe the Spartan Laser should be redesigned to require more skill to kill a vehicle and also be more effective against infantry, because I don't think weapons should solely be designed for an anti-vehicle space.)

Next thing you know, 343 includes a Sanc remake in Infinite with two Lasers instead of snipers

• Like (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 3
  • WutFace (+0) 1

13 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

"Hey Ghostayame, those kids on TeamBeyond aren't drinking the kool-aid on our latest gameplay reveal. Go set them straight, will you? You're a Halo pro, they worship you!"

I was here for those pre-release Halo 5 pro team forum posts. They never had a good answer for anything.

If i remember correctly Neighbor and Dersky have been active here long after game has launched.

I ain't gonna look up those posts for ya.

But i guess you were more happy when there was no one from 343 posting here.

Nevermind.

6 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

(though...I also believe the Spartan Laser should be redesigned to require more skill to kill a vehicle and also be more effective against infantry, because I don't think weapons should solely be designed for an anti-vehicle space.)

Nah, a one hit kill ranged weapon for something that can singlehandedly suppress a team and is easy as hell to use is a fine trade off. 

My only potential improvement would be to limit its infantry use, since its wider reticle lends itself well to one shot, sweep shotting. Maybe have it act like Modern Warfare's Javelin where line of sight on a vehicle will enable its use, and only on said vehicle, but if you're just looking to a crowd of people, you won't be able to use it. Something to just counter the thing that makes it an easier (Somehow) sniper.

21 hours ago, Hard Way said:

If the game is good, you shouldn't need separate variants for tournament play.

This is true, but we are 0-6 right now and I don't see that changing. It could happen though. 

17 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Nah, a one hit kill ranged weapon for something that can singlehandedly suppress a team and is easy as hell to use is a fine trade off. 

My only potential improvement would be to limit its infantry use, since its wider reticle lends itself well to one shot, sweep shotting. Maybe have it act like Modern Warfare's Javelin where line of sight on a vehicle will enable its use, and only on said vehicle, but if you're just looking to a crowd of people, you won't be able to use it. Something to just counter the thing that makes it an easier (Somehow) sniper.

I'd rather it discharge its full damage over a longer period, so you have to keep the reticule on a vehicle to full-kill the vehicle.  Kinda like how the Binary Rifle works in H5, but a longer discharge, and a little longer of a hold before it registers as a kill.  4 shots per spawn.

It'd make it useful vs infantry in long corridor areas, but given the pre-charge before discharge and the laser tracer, it's not nearly as effective as a Sniper in straight up reflex kills.  A lot of counterplay to it built in naturally.

• Like (+1) 1

Image result for travolta gif

wow this scene has died. im hoping we get some infinite news at dreamhack

• Like (+1) 4
  • Toxic (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

wow this scene has died. im hoping we get some infinite news at dreamhack

Doubt it tbh Dreamhack is only 2 weeks before E3 and I'm sure MS will save the news until then.

I know I'm not the only one refreshing this page to check for a new post every day "Any day now" I think, but then I realise we're all in the same boat, in that there is literally nothing to discuss. 

2 hours ago, Hxrshly said:

I know I'm not the only one refreshing this page to check for a new post every day "Any day now" I think, but then I realise we're all in the same boat, in that there is literally nothing to discuss. 

We're not going to have anything for at least a couple weeks (provided flighting for Reach actually starts this month).  After that though we're probably looking at E3 for the next huge announcement. 

4 hours ago, Hxrshly said:

Just here to dole out some rep every now and then tbh

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Humpflung said:

What we need is an entire yearly calendar of events so people can actually plan for them in advance.

Image result for too much logic

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Humpflung said:

What we need is an entire yearly calendar of events so people can actually plan for them in advance.

Yes x100

I miss the good ole days when they announced events 2 weeks out and then were completely shocked when no one showed up and would tell people that they were just booking flights wrong if they thought they were too expensive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 5

4 hours ago, Zavehi said:

I miss the good ole days when they announced events 2 weeks out and then were completely shocked when no one showed up and would tell people that they were just booking flights wrong if they thought they were too expensive. 

Good times

Halo 5 split screen shown at the 42 second mark. Except top screen is playing a team game on Coliseum, and bottom screen is playing Rig FFA.

14 minutes ago, CyReN said:

Wasn't there going to be a Halo show kind of like this at one point? Cool for Gears to get it, they have some great personalities.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 hour ago, Silos said:

Halo 5 split screen shown at the 42 second mark. Except top screen is playing a team game on Coliseum, and bottom screen is playing Rig FFA.

Nice eye.  Well that's certainly taking things to another level. 

Well then, the whole situation makes zero sense.  Why show splitscreen then? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Well then, the whole situation makes zero sense.  Why show splitscreen then? 

marketing team very much in touch with the developers :kappa:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Simms (+1) 1