Jump to content
CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Hard Way said:

From what I remember, LoS did have an effect, but it was minimal compared to everything else. I would be curious to see if there's a range limit on LoS, which would explain why it's so common to spawn in someone's crosshair on Narrows, but far less common on Pit or Amp.

I can say for sure LoS had different ranges and cone sizes depending on the weapon you were using in Halo 4/H2A.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I want to say LoS doesn't matter in H3 just based off the fact that people spawn on the brick in court while I'm staring at it with snipe rather than the back of court with no influences. If you've ever really watched the green spawns in 1v1 guardian too you'll probably doubt since unless you're somehow on like a triple spawn kill cycle there are so many spawns on the map with zero influence (no spawn zones used on guardian). Unless the cone of me looking with snipe is actually as big as half the map and is influencing all of that negatively with zero regard for actual map geometry and long lasting influence in which case, well, the mechanic is pointless. Nades do matter. All of the clips I've looked at though do make sense. People just aren't aware of just how long negative spawn influences last so when they cycle from a flag spawn kill to a cannon kill/nade cannon they get surprised when someone spawns near hawk or r2/l2 in their face on the third spawn. The same thing happens when you kill people needles/flag and someone nades court on the pit or even kills someone there before someone else gets a double on first/needles then gets surprised when someone spawns on top of them in court. Its actually a big math problem. If you guys actually want to see a problem with H3 spawn locations and influences try playing Heretic 2v2 getting a double top blue and having one of them spawn bottom blue. It happens all the time

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/30/2019 at 7:58 PM, Hard Way said:

From what I remember, LoS did have an effect, but it was minimal compared to everything else. I would be curious to see if there's a range limit on LoS, which would explain why it's so common to spawn in someone's crosshair on Narrows, but far less common on Pit or Amp.

 

As far as I remember LoS doesn't affect the spawns in Halo 3, that's why octagon played so well on it but not in the later titles. Could be wrong though.

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, valaea said:

we don't deserve content as good as Paradise Halo ... these incredible videos have like 400 views, sigh

Such a shame he's discontinuing the channel because of the lack of viewership.

  • WutFace (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

Such a shame he's discontinuing the channel because of the lack of viewership.

Please tell me this is a bad april fools joke

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

Please tell me this is a bad april fools joke

Why it is.

  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post

i love this community :)

Spoiler

ha not april fools gotcha :)  

 

  • Simms (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, FeaR said:

i love this community :)

  Hide contents

ha not april fools gotcha :)  

 

i love you too boo.

no homo

  • Fire (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

I wasn't really expecting any more news (much less flighting) until E3 so with it potentially coming this month (and almost certainly before E3) this is pretty sweet.

 

*Note* He said in a subsequent tweet this was not a joke, so take that for what you will. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

New video is up for those interested 

[video]

They should honestly just copy paste reach's ranks into it and give a few bonuses within it and that would be good enough. Things like armor bonuses, daily/weekly/community challenges would be a nice bonus afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, andregr said:

They should honestly just copy paste reach's ranks into it and give a few bonuses within it and that would be good enough. Things like armor bonuses, daily/weekly/community challenges would be a nice bonus afterwards.

Reach? Lolz

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

A progression system I would love to see is a hybrid of Halo 3 and Reach. EXP would still be rewarded based on wins, with separate progression for each playlists. 

Like with Halo 3, you would be unable to achieve Captain before highest rank achieved of 25, Major at 30, etc. But after reaching a level 50 rather than capping out at 5 star general, you would instead be able to level up through the special ranks of Hero, Noble and all the way to Inheritor. 

This would incentivize fun competitive matches even in social, and actually have ranks mean something. In Reach, being an Inheritor simply meant you played the game a lot, completed a lot of commendations and challenges, etc. Not that you necessarily had any skill. 

I also would love to see a cR system like we had in Reach, awarded based on in-game performance, commendations etc. Bringing back daily and weekly challenges, and perhaps even introducing a monthly challenge would be neat. There would be certain armors you could purchase, with others only being unlocked via achievements. If a system like this could be in Halo Infinite, cR could be used to purchase weapon skins and other in-game cosmetics. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, darkstar said:

A progression system I would love to see is a hybrid of Halo 3 and Reach. EXP would still be rewarded based on wins, with separate progression for each playlists. 

Like with Halo 3, you would be unable to achieve Captain before highest rank achieved of 25, Major at 30, etc. But after reaching a level 50 rather than capping out at 5 star general, you would instead be able to level up through the special ranks of Hero, Noble and all the way to Inheritor. 

This would incentivize fun competitive matches even in social, and actually have ranks mean something. In Reach, being an Inheritor simply meant you played the game a lot, completed a lot of commendations and challenges, etc. Not that you necessarily had any skill. 

I also would love to see a cR system like we had in Reach, awarded based on in-game performance, commendations etc. Bringing back daily and weekly challenges, and perhaps even introducing a monthly challenge would be neat. There would be certain armors you could purchase, with others only being unlocked via achievements. If a system like this could be in Halo Infinite, cR could be used to purchase weapon skins and other in-game cosmetics. 

I disagree on the blending of XP/Ranks to level.  That's the point of the ranked playlists.  The reason I suggested a straight SR system like in 5 is because it's meant to give the casual audience something to works towards that they can still achieve getting high on the weekend and fucking around with buddies.  It's not meant to be a gauge of skill, but rather give you another goal to work towards.

I do think the challenges would be a cool thing to see because again, they can be reasonably completed by most players. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

I disagree on the blending of XP/Ranks to level.  That's the point of the ranked playlists.  The reason I suggested a straight SR system like in 5 is because it's meant to give the casual audience something to works towards that they can still achieve getting high on the weekend and fucking around with buddies.  It's not meant to be a gauge of skill, but rather give you another goal to work towards.

I do think the challenges would be a cool thing to see because again, they can be reasonably completed by most players. 

At the end of the day, a 50 is still the highest rank, but the XP would simply be for progression through the military ranks.

I never want to see the boring SR1-152 progression ever again. The military ranks in Halo 3 and Reach were awesome, and XP being awarded based on wins made social matches fun and not so full of stat padding. And even in the event of a loss, there was no penalty because it was social. -1EXP for a quit decentivised quitting more than quit ban ever will, imo.  

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, darkstar said:

At the end of the day, a 50 is still the highest rank, but the XP would simply be for progression through the military ranks.

I never want to see the boring SR1-152 progression ever again. The military ranks in Halo 3 and Reach were awesome, and XP being awarded based on wins made social matches fun and not so full of stat padding. And even in the event of a loss, there was no penalty because it was social. -1EXP for a quit decentivised quitting more than quit ban ever will, imo.  

I'm not entirely against needing to win X amount of games to level up, so long as the number doesn't go down based on losses.  So if it said you had to win 10 games to progress, and it took you 100 to do that but you still level up that's fine.  I just don't want a fluctuating number tied to a social rank.  If you want to have to keep winning to maintain ranks then go play the ranked playlists, that's what it's there for.

 

In summary:  The social level should be entirely dependent on simply playing the game, or at the very least there shouldn't be a penalty for losing in social. 

 

So I guess I agree haha.  I just think most players are more familiar with a 1-152 style system, but I wouldn't necessarily be against having to win X amount of matches either (as long as it wasn't skill based matchmaking). 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, RVG E Nomini said:

Ranks higher than 50 isn't halo anymore, it's nonsense.

Well considering this wouldn't be a rank, but simply an XP level, all is well. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think we are getting some sort of rank/exp progression system when MCC comes to PC.  But having some details on it would be nice.  I'm more inclined to see H3's playlist and overall leveling system, but only if we don't have to start from scratch.  Some accounts have been grinding MCC since 2015 and their stats/symbols should accurately reflect that.  I know a lot of people want Reach's exp system in MCC but I don't see how that would work since it has been confirmed that customizable armor unlocks and unique armor sets will not be present in the MCC builds of Reach & H3.  Regardless, we need something to motivate more people to search multiplayer in these games.   It also doesn't help when ranked playlists are added and removed with little warning.  I would be fine with having 5-7 more permanent ranked playlists and 2-3 rotational hoppers.

Truly, what I feel needs to be discussed more is an In-Game Leaderboard for MCC.  Global rankings for campaign scoring and speedrunning have have an in game MCC feature since release.  Why can't multiplayer get some similar treatment?   You should be able to see from the main menus who has the most experience overall/per playlist/highest ranks/multiple 50s/etc.  You could even go one step further and link social media accounts to these players gamertags if they have YT, Twitter, Twitch, synced to their Xbox profile.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Squatting Bear said:

I think we are getting some sort of rank/exp progression system when MCC comes to PC.  But having some details on it would be nice.  I'm more inclined to see H3's playlist and overall leveling system, but only if we don't have to start from scratch.  Some accounts have been grinding MCC since 2015 and their stats/symbols should accurately reflect that.  I know a lot of people want Reach's exp system in MCC but I don't see how that would work since it has been confirmed that customizable armor unlocks and unique armor sets will not be present in the MCC builds of Reach & H3.  Regardless, we need something to motivate more people to search multiplayer in these games.   It also doesn't help when ranked playlists are added and removed with little warning.  I would be fine with having 5-7 more permanent ranked playlists and 2-3 rotational hoppers.

Truly, what I feel needs to be discussed more is an In-Game Leaderboard for MCC.  Global rankings for campaign scoring and speedrunning have have an in game MCC feature since release.  Why can't multiplayer get some similar treatment?   You should be able to see from the main menus who has the most experience overall/per playlist/highest ranks/multiple 50s/etc.  You could even go one step further and link social media accounts to these players gamertags if they have YT, Twitter, Twitch, synced to their Xbox profile.  

 

I just don't want the XP/Level to be tied to specific playlists.  I want a game-wide SR-esque system.  I don't care if they just make icons or banners with different colours for various ranks but there needs to be something to work towards because like you said right now there's nothing to play for except the ranked playlists. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Global XP Rank: Use Reach's system

Armor Unlocks: Use Reach's system for Commons, Uncommons, and Rares

   Use H4's Commendation system for Epics

   Use H3's Achievement system for Legendaries

Playlist XP Rank: Use the H3 system

 

But for a new one, count the number of times you've been promoted across all playlists, and tie unlocks to it. That would encourage people to play everything, since the early ranks offer more promotions, faster.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Hard Way said:

Global XP Rank: Use Reach's system

Armor Unlocks: Use Reach's system for Commons, Uncommons, and Rares

   Use H4's Commendation system for Epics

   Use H3's Achievement system for Legendaries

Playlist XP Rank: Use the H3 system

 

But for a new one, count the number of times you've been promoted across all playlists, and tie unlocks to it. That would encourage people to play everything, since the early ranks offer more promotions, faster.

We also have to remember that there are no "playlists" in social for the MCC ever since they created the custom playlist mixer.  So there's no way to tie XP to a single playlist effectively unless it's done in ranked which is exactly what I'm wanting to avoid.  For infinite though it's an interesting idea but I'm skeptical of effectively forcing people to play modes they dislike in order to rank up at a not absurdly long rate. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Well considering this wouldn't be a rank, but simply an XP level, all is well. 

Ah, so what does SR stand for?

  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

We also have to remember that there are no "playlists" in social for the MCC ever since they created the custom playlist mixer.  So there's no way to tie XP to a single playlist effectively unless it's done in ranked which is exactly what I'm wanting to avoid.  For infinite though it's an interesting idea but I'm skeptical of effectively forcing people to play modes they dislike in order to rank up at a not absurdly long rate. 

I'm not sure how the UI would work, but you could tie an XP rank to each mode, for each game, for each team size. That'd make for an absurd amount of replayability, which is exactly what I want out of MCC.

As for number of promotions, I guess it's just a different way of looking at things. I see it as an incentive to try/master new things. Nothing is being forced on you, especially since it's just for cosmetic unlocks. And even still, you can still get promoted by sticking to a couple things you like. It'll just take longer. Nothing about it forces the user to do anything.

I don't particularly enjoy Grifball, but if I could get an easy promotion towards an item I want with only 10 wins in it, I'd probably play it, and I'd probably get better at it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.