FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

18 minutes ago, Humpflung said:

That's like asking rock paper scissors stats. It really means nothing.

Wow shocker I never would've thought you'd respond like that. 

You're lost man. Keep telling yourself games take no skill when you get stomped. Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

I've always been a functionality guy over aesthetics so my opinion isn't too strong when it comes to how maps look (I care way more about how they play rather than how they look; but that's just me because I'm a competitive player at heart), but I never had a problem with Halo 5's art style. The problem I had with Halo 5 is the lighting. Maps that literally blind you in certain areas of the map can all die in a fire and I really wish we can do away with this in the next Halo game.

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I can get being mad about form over function, because I agree with the idea, but you're actually nuts if you think Coli and Truth are dogshit, lmao.

Wrong.

Halo 5's take on the Covenant aesthetic looks like bulbous bug hives and monster tits, with a slap of purple and grey splotched upon them. Not only that, but the added glaring lights and holograms would blind anybody that didn't play the game consistently. Coliseum fares far worse however; the over-complicated level of polygons and visual noise is a far cry to even the most recent rendition of Bungie's original vision of Forerunner. You had the cartographer locations, the beacon towers, the old ruins, the active gas canisters, and the giant obelisks from the Ark. Coliseum looks like none of those, or even looks like it could be a part of the same family of architecture. It looks like someone spray-painted Tron.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, -DeucEy- said:

I've always been a functionality guy over aesthetics so my opinion isn't too strong when it comes to how maps look (I care way more about how they play rather than how they look; but that's just me because I'm a competitive player at heart), but I never had a problem with Halo 5's art style. The problem I had with Halo 5 is the lighting. Maps that literally blind you in certain areas of the map can all die in a fire and I really wish we can do away with this in the next Halo game.

Exactly. I personally have never understood the hate for Reach forge maps. Like yea they're bland but when you play the same maps hundreds of times you stop looking at the aesthetic completely. I would prefer every map look like Reach forge over some if the atrocious lighting of Halo 5. Sure a more colorful selection would be nice but from a comp standpoint that should be soooooooooo far down the list of concerns. 

12 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Exactly. I personally have never understood the hate for Reach forge maps. Like yea they're bland but when you play the same maps hundreds of times you stop looking at the aesthetic completely. I would prefer every map look like Reach forge over some if the atrocious lighting of Halo 5. Sure a more colorful selection would be nice but from a comp standpoint that should be soooooooooo far down the list of concerns. 

Yes sir, my sentiments exactly. I liked Reach's map selection. Again, sure, some color and stuff would be nice, but my biggest concerns with the maps and the ones I was vocal about were the functionality aspects of it. i.e. Zooming in from Snipe Hut to Snipe Hut on Sanctuary and your FPS dropping to ~10 FPS. 

But I think we've had enough of being blinded in certain areas of the map since Halo 4 (that people can literally use to their advantage at times). It's not necessary to make a map look nice; global illumination lighting techniques are used for a reason in 3D modeling software. They're there so that you don't need a direct light source that can interfere with displaying a certain object(s).

Direct lighting techniques are used when you want to give the natural lighting effect in locations where it makes sense. Sure it would be nice to have natural lighting in every location but in a video game where certain mechanics and visual cues are important, they can interfere.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Wrong.

Halo 5's take on the Covenant aesthetic looks like bulbous bug hives and monster tits, with a slap of purple and grey splotched upon them. Not only that, but the added glaring lights and holograms would blind anybody that didn't play the game consistently. Coliseum fares far worse however; the over-complicated level of polygons and visual noise is a far cry to even the most recent rendition of Bungie's original vision of Forerunner. You had the cartographer locations, the beacon towers, the old ruins, the active gas canisters, and the giant obelisks from the Ark. Coliseum looks like none of those, or even looks like it could be a part of the same family of architecture. It looks like someone spray-painted Tron.

My quote was more so saying the actual maps themselves are good. 

2 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

My quote was more so saying the actual maps themselves are good. 

They're okay.

One thing I noticed was how composed Rec was, and how much their skill carried them. In H5 every time Snipedown (nV) would beat Optic/Tox, it always seemed to be a momentum victory, where they would gain steam and put Optic away. When Royal 2 got that Triple-Kill on Construct, it was the type of momentum-swinging play that would cause nV to unravel in H5. For Rec to absorb a swing play like that and seal the victory was huge IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, -DeucEy- said:

Yes sir, my sentiments exactly. I liked Reach's map selection. Again, sure, some color and stuff would be nice, but my biggest concerns with the maps and the ones I was vocal about were the functionality aspects of it. i.e. Zooming in from Snipe Hut to Snipe Hut on Sanctuary and your FPS dropping to ~10 FPS. 

At least on PC the FPS problem will be MUCH smaller

42 minutes ago, infraction said:

At least on PC the FPS problem will be MUCH smaller

Really with the hardware they're working with, there shouldn't be ANY issue with frame rate.  Even the X1 can handle H2A/H5 Forge as long as it's done decently well and the 1X should just be able to blow through it like nothing.  With PCs being even more powerful, I'd be pretty peeved if we start taking major frame rate hits but I don't really see it happening. 

1 minute ago, Trespa5s said:

Really with the hardware they're working with, there shouldn't be ANY issue with frame rate.  Even the X1 can handle H2A/H5 Forge as long as it's done decently well and the 1X should just be able to blow through it like nothing.  With PCs being even more powerful, I'd be pretty peeved if we start taking major frame rate hits but I don't really see it happening. 

Yeah that is a good point. I doubt it will even be an issue on xbox tbh

4 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Wow shocker I never would've thought you'd respond like that. 

You're lost man. Keep telling yourself games take no skill when you get stomped. Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

At least I get stomped at events and not just a forum kid

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, Humpflung said:

At least I get stomped at events and not just a forum kid

Lmao keep spending your money man you do you. If that's what makes you happy go for it bud. The fact that you spend money on a game that takes "no skill" and still get stomped at events really is all I need to know. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

20 hours ago, Hully said:

Why would anyone bother with Reach when Halo 2 is just sitting there in all its glory?

Because pretty much every single H3/HCS pro player is terrified of getting embarrassed in CE or H2 by people who know how to play those games.  Since they take considerably more amount of skill to become proficient at than any Halo games that have come after, the accessibility is narrowed.  Also there are virtually no orgs nor any ex pros that support H2C at all.  And the lack of real prize money is a big factor.

19 hours ago, GoldenboyFTW said:

Halo 2 didn’t age well. I say this begrudgingly as an H2 fan but even then H3 is better than the ugly grey Reach maps. v7 was good though.  

What exactly and specifically makes you say Halo 2 hasn't aged well?   Is it because when you watch high level matches you don't actually know what's going on?

17 hours ago, Gold said:

then don't use them, use the anniversary maps. 

The Anniversary maps in both CEA and H2A  are some of the biggest eye sores in the entire series.  Not fun to look at, even less to play considering all of the skill jumps and technical gameplay elements are gone.

15 hours ago, Mad_L3pr3chaun said:

Yeah hopefully this.

I'd be totally fine with v7 as long as they can stop the maps looking like dogshit.

Also more mods like this and I'm pretty sure there will be some great multiplayer mods that come out from the community as well.

This mod looks so freaking sick.   I hope I can someday play this on PC.

14 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

These are the three Forge maps used in v7

The four other maps were Zealot, Countdown, Battle Canyon, and Penance. Each of the forge maps are distinctive enough from each other, and have color speckled just enough to determine what side you're on. Honestly think you guys are overreacting.

Facts.  The brown Foundry maps in H3 MLG variants are just as dull and unappealing as the grey in competitive Reach.

7 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

New video!  Just a quick recap of the event this weekend for anyone that may have missed it.

You've earned a new sub my friend.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I can get being mad about form over function, because I agree with the idea, but you're actually nuts if you think Coli and Truth are dogshit, lmao. They're literally two of the three best maps in that game's competitive suite. They look good and convincing lore-wise, but unlike Eden, or Torque, they didn't suffer in the gameplay department.

Every arena map in Halo 5 plays terrible and looks terrible. Truth and Coliseum included.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 3

23 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

thank you! I love making those decisions. @Wonderboy& @Infinity taught me a ton

the production teams were all brilliant & as usual the desk slayed. incredible week

You did great mate, hopefully they hire more than one observer next time so you can get some breaks :D 

• Simms (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Every arena map in Halo 5 plays terrible and looks terrible. Truth and Coliseum included.

Okay, come on now. I probably hate Halo 5 more than anyone on this forum, but Coliseum is quite literally one of the best maps 343 has designed. It played amazingly on both classic and default movement settings. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, -DeucEy- said:

Okay, come on now. I probably hate Halo 5 more than anyone on this forum, but Coliseum is quite literally one of the best maps 343 has designed. It played amazingly on both classic and default movement settings. 

H5 maps weren't that bad especially when you consider Halo 4 and reach (at launch)

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, -DeucEy- said:

Coliseum is just another Simplex riff, and a really really bad one at that. I'd rather play Stasis or Riptide.

• Salt (-1) 4

Sunday felt quite like the H2A season where whatever happened, EG would find a way through.

Also we didn't have a single false start ?!? On MCC !?? 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

343 gets so obsessed with making their maps look "next-gen" and realistic within the context of the Halo universe (because lore totally matters in a fucking multiplayer map), and it comes at the expense of things like functionality and orientation. Sure, 343, Truth looks like a convincing covenant ship and Coliseum looks like a convincing forerunner whatever-the-fuck set on some distant planet. Have a cookie. They're still dogshit on the eyes.

Not going to lie, when I saw Coliseum in the original "sneak peak" footage for Halo 5 I thought they were previewing a made-with-forge map to show what the new editor was capable of.

• Thonking (+0) 1

15 hours ago, Vintvge said:

One thing I noticed was how composed Rec was, and how much their skill carried them. In H5 every time Snipedown (nV) would beat Optic/Tox, it always seemed to be a momentum victory, where they would gain steam and put Optic away. When Royal 2 got that Triple-Kill on Construct, it was the type of momentum-swinging play that would cause nV to unravel in H5. For Rec to absorb a swing play like that and seal the victory was huge IMO.

Yeah. I knew Rec would win this tourney when they clutched the reverse sweep.

Your comment also says a lot about the pace of H3 in addition to Rec's resilience. H5 was so full-tilt and snowbally that teams could capitalize off a triple kill like that pretty much indefinitely if they were skilled at keeping up the pressure and rotations (like walking a tightrope). The fast movement+spawns made it pretty much impossible for the receiving team to catch their breath and compose a response.

In H3, you have plays like Lunch or Ola staying alive top gold and getting the rest of their team to spawn there before making a new push. You'd NEVER get away with that in H5, last guy is always totally fucked because the other team can fly in, kill him, and fly back to power positions before those 8-10 spawn seconds are up with very low risk. You can usually grab powerups or weapons in H5 without sacrificing map position or kills for the same reason.

People complain about the shield recharge time in MLG H3 but it's also one of the factors that punishes H5-style hyper aggression in H3—the damage you take if you do shit like that is a serious liability.

• Like (+1) 5

12 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Lmao keep spending your money man you do you. If that's what makes you happy go for it bud. The fact that you spend money on a game that takes "no skill" and still get stomped at events really is all I need to know. 

go away

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2