CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Why would anyone bother with Reach when Halo 2 is just sitting there in all its glory?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hully said:

Why would anyone bother with Reach when Halo 2 is just sitting there in all its glory?

Halo 2 didn’t age well. I say this begrudgingly as an H2 fan but even then H3 is better than the ugly grey Reach maps. v7 was good though.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • WutFace (+0) 2

2 hours ago, GoldenboyFTW said:

Halo 2 didn’t age well. I say this begrudgingly as an H2 fan but even then H3 is better than the ugly grey Reach maps. v7 was good though.  

then don't use them, use the anniversary maps. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

what if when Reach is on PC, mods can improve the look of the forge colour pallete? :intensifies: 

Also new H3 maps using the Sandbox forge style could work well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, duckbacon said:

what if when Reach is on PC, mods can improve the look of the forge colour pallete? :intensifies: 

Also new H3 maps using the Sandbox forge style could work well.

Yeah hopefully this.

I'd be totally fine with v7 as long as they can stop the maps looking like dogshit.

Also more mods like this and I'm pretty sure there will be some great multiplayer mods that come out from the community as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 3/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, Morachip said:

Shout out to @Knighty Knight for actually staying on a player's POV through death cam.  I know that you want to go to where the action is but getting to see what people do off spawn can be interesting and really enlightening to see how pros play certain situations.

thank you! I love making those decisions. @Wonderboy& @Infinity taught me a ton

the production teams were all brilliant & as usual the desk slayed. incredible week

• Like (+1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

These are the three Forge maps used in v7.

The four other maps were Zealot, Countdown, Battle Canyon, and Penance. Each of the forge maps are distinctive enough from each other, and have color speckled just enough to determine what side you're on. Honestly think you guys are overreacting.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

<3 :ace:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

8 hours ago, GoldenboyFTW said:

Off Topic - but I thought the same thing with the Halo 5 maps, far too much gray and dull/dark colors. It's amazing Halo games in the early 2000's were more aesthetically pleasing than H5 maps (IMO).

• Upvote (+1) 1

18 hours ago, careh said:

https://esc.watch/tournaments/halo5

Both Classic Halo events compete viewership wise when compared to prize pool. With it being an invitational this event probaly shouldn't have been $100k ($50-75k would have been fine IMO) but even with the preliminary numbers, 10k twitch + ~2-5k mixer/facebook, it's still fine in terms of value.

2k on YouTube too with over 40k views on YouTube. Not sure how yt streaming works but I think that's the total unique viewers which isn't bad at all

19 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

LOL you can call my opinions trash all you want. But to just straight up ignore all the movement skill H5 had is nuts. Especially when you look at what movement halo 3 has in comparison. I get you all hate Halo 5 but sheesh.

H5 had no skill. Lul

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

22 minutes ago, Humpflung said:

H5 had no skill. Lul

What's sad is that I know you genuinely believe this. But then again you are the kid that has an ego just for playing halo. And pretend like you're better than cod pros because you don't like cod. So your opinion means nothing. 

But surely if it took no skill you must have some pretty nutty arena stats? Post em man let's see what you got. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

28 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

What's sad is that I know you genuinely believe this. But then again you are the kid that has an ego just for playing halo. And pretend like you're better than cod pros because you don't like cod. So your opinion means nothing. 

But surely if it took no skill you must have some pretty nutty arena stats? Post em man let's see what you got. 

Image result for michael jackson popcorn

• Simms (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RiDDle said:

Off Topic - but I thought the same thing with the Halo 5 maps, far too much gray and dull/dark colors. It's amazing Halo games in the early 2000's were more aesthetically pleasing than H5 maps (IMO).

Thematically I think Halo 5 stood out for some of the maps but I totally get what you’re saying because some maps looked like they could have had a touch more flair.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mad_L3pr3chaun said:

Yeah hopefully this.

I'd be totally fine with v7 as long as they can stop the maps looking like dogshit.

Also more mods like this and I'm pretty sure there will be some great multiplayer mods that come out from the community as well.

I would play the hell out of that.

1 hour ago, Humpflung said:

H5 had no skill. Lul

Wrong.

Regardless of the general consensus of everyone here disliking Halo 5 because of its drastic gameplay changes, the game took a fair amount of time to master. What it lacked in smooth aiming and classic feel, it made up with the movement and the capacity to position faster than ever. There are so many people that focus on the negatives that the very important positives are overlooked. Faster weapon draw and reloads, static weapon timers, an actual perfectly accurate utility, a visible timer to see when your shields recharge, and the one I think is most impactful, this game had the best out-of-the-box settings out of every online Halo.

These changes combined with a classic experience, or even a semi-classic experience would be an awesome Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You know what would be really nice is they would give us a full blown map editor like gearbox did for all the games so we could make our own maps with the PC release.

The we wouldn’t have to worry about forge maps looking like shit anymore or shitty dev maps.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mad_L3pr3chaun said:

Yeah hopefully this.

The higher resolution should help the Forge maps considerably. Something about the lower resolution makes the grey on them even worse (makes it seem to blur together.) Could be wrong, but I do think they are going to look a lot better than most people expect. 

i like h1-3, reach, and h5. Can't we all stop bitching about the games we hate? We're coming off of 3 years of people complaining about h5, now we get h3 and some people still can't drop h5. 

• Like (+1) 4

New video!  Just a quick recap of the event this weekend for anyone that may have missed it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

These are the three Forge maps used in v7.

[videos]

The four other maps were Zealot, Countdown, Battle Canyon, and Penance. Each of the forge maps are distinctive enough from each other, and have color speckled just enough to determine what side you're on. Honestly think you guys are overreacting.

I thought orientation on Pit was horrible. Any time I spawned in the corners of the map it took me some time to get my bearings, way more than what I find acceptable. Unless the map is brand new to me I should always know where I am on the map the instant that I spawn in, especially on a remake. Way too often that just didn't happen on Reach Pit. Maybe I'm the only one, I don't know.

Nexus wasn't great either in that regard, especially with all the random shit strewn about.

3 hours ago, RiDDle said:

343 gets so obsessed with making their maps look "next-gen" and realistic within the context of the Halo universe (because lore totally matters in a fucking multiplayer map), and it comes at the expense of things like functionality and orientation. Sure, 343, Truth looks like a convincing covenant ship and Coliseum looks like a convincing forerunner whatever-the-fuck set on some distant planet. Have a cookie. They're still dogshit on the eyes.

2 hours ago, Humpflung said:

H5 had no skill. Lul

Team Thrusters takes skill, it's just a bad game and a worthless experience.

Anyway, assuming zero bloom comes with Reach MCC (which I'm not sure it will, it would be just like 343 to release vanilla Reach and omit the TU), I think the v7 gametypes could use a second look or at least a touching up. Damnation/Penance v7 was so fucking stupid. Rockets on lilypads every three minutes? Camo at old rocket spawn? Random grav lifts everywhere that do nothing to move the game along? Of course team slayer is gonna take 15 minutes on that if people are actually serious.

Anchor 9 should be looked at since everyone will have it. Maybe Tempest as well? I have no idea why Powerhouse was never used for anything, it was one of only two maps (besides Zealot) that was somewhat enjoyable in default modes, and I remember several test games that I had fun with as well. Would have much rather seen Powerhouse back in the day than the litany of plain, inoffensive four-base maps MLG kept trotting out.

12 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

343 gets so obsessed with making their maps look "next-gen" and realistic within the context of the Halo universe (because lore totally matters in a fucking multiplayer map), and it comes at the expense of things like functionality and orientation. Sure, 343, Truth looks like a convincing covenant ship and Coliseum looks like a convincing forerunner whatever-the-fuck set on some distant planet. Have a cookie. They're still dogshit on the eyes.

I can get being mad about form over function, because I agree with the idea, but you're actually nuts if you think Coli and Truth are dogshit, lmao. They're literally two of the three best maps in that game's competitive suite. They look good and convincing lore-wise, but unlike Eden, or Torque, they didn't suffer in the gameplay department.

3 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

That's like asking rock paper scissors stats. It really means nothing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 3