CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Exidrion said:

I really wish he would have kept at it, but he said he wasn't getting that many viewers on Apex, so that's probably why he switched back to Fortnite sadly. I really expected the Apex train to last longer than it did among top streamers.

I'm so fucking sick of Fortnite man.

Well have you heard halo is coming to steam? Seriously im hoping that will blow up as we start getting closer to infinite

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

Well have you heard halo is coming to steam? Seriously im hoping that will blow up as we start getting closer to infinite

Our only hope is Ninja

• WutFace (+0) 2

21 hours ago, Riddler said:

esports exploded in 2011-2013 and we were stuck with the worst two games of the series after being near the top. 

That also shows just how much bigger PC esports are than consoles. 

38 minutes ago, infraction said:

That also shows just how much bigger PC esports are than consoles. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with staying on console for competitive games. I don't think halo needs to try to compete with csgo or something to be successful. I think there is a niche in the market for competitive console games

• Upvote (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with staying on console for competitive games. I don't think halo needs to try to compete with csgo or something to be successful. I think there is a niche in the market for competitive console games

Halo's not exactly relevant as it is. I see no reason to not at least try and support an official tournament on PC, let the viewership decide if Halo remains on console or if it switches to PC.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Halo's not exactly relevant as it is. I see no reason to not at least try and support an official tournament on PC, let the viewership decide if Halo remains on console or if it switches to PC.

Trying it is one thing.  Give it a shot and see what sticks.  I just don't want to see it shoehorned into being on PC if it doesn't noticeably improve numbers by a decent amount. 

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

The thing is that graph kind of shows there isn't, or at the very least that niche is incredibly small. By 2015 like the top 12 are all PC games and by a WIDE margin. 

FFS they can't win can they?

*Doesn't innovate* - "OMG it's just a reskin of X, they're not even trying."

*Takes a risk* - "WTF they ruined it, fuck this game."

I'm not saying all changes are good (and definitely not all changes just for the sake of change) but to say Halo hasn't taken risks or tried to innovate is just fucking ridiculous. Have they missed the mark with some things? Sure, but they ARE at least taking risks and trying stuff (even if it is a bit misguided at times). 

Halo took tons of risk and they striked out every single time from 2010 onwards

• Like (+1) 1

Didnt COD also go to 5v5 as well? 

Out of the loop, anyone know how that is working out for comp? 

5 hours ago, Skor said:

Didnt COD also go to 5v5 as well? 

Out of the loop, anyone know how that is working out for comp? 

Yea they just went to 5v5 this year. 

AFAIK the growth is about the same as normal (maybe a bit more because it's a Treyarch title).

It must be said that Shroud is a entertainment streamer and has been for a long while so he talks a lot in generalities. It's like calling Ninja a Halo Pro, he has ties to Halo but his success is a lot more broad.

That said, don't you think the discussion is kind of tained by the Halo communities perceptions on innovation? Counter-Strike has nailed it's core gameplay (as I would argue classic Halo has) so I guess you innovate in other ways... Are people forgetting CSGO birthed the cosmetic revolution in their 2013 'Arms Deal' update? What about their process of intergrating a drop reward system purely for watching?

I mean both of those propelled Counter-Strike into the modern era of esports but they were years ago so they're living off their past accomplishments right. Exceeeept the fact that everything has been revisted year-on-year. The game has only just this year gone F2P so the random dropping system for the majors has changed to a more active system (better overall interaction with the event) where you win loot crates depending on correct predictions - turns out there weren't that many people botting' / idling for drops. It's a complete change in buisness approach.

No other FPS updates it's features like CS has, even when said features are ahead of the game. No other FPS rotates their maps out periodically to rejuvinate the map pool and improve them. No other FPS scene comes close to innovating in the way the CS community has at all levels. The only FPS that even comes close to trying is Overwatch and they're a much larger team fueled by the fact they make a boat load of money every time they intergrate a feature or encourage another team to give them $20+ mil.

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, careh said:

That said, don't you think the discussion is kind of tained by the Halo communities perceptions on innovation? Counter-Strike has nailed it's core gameplay (as I would argue classic Halo has) so I guess you innovate in other ways... Are people forgetting CSGO birthed the cosmetic revolution in their 2013 'Arms Deal' update? What about their process of intergrating a drop reward system purely for watching?

I mean both of those propelled Counter-Strike into the modern era of esports but they were years ago so they're living off their past accomplishments right. Exceeeept the fact that everything has been revisted year-on-year. The game has only just this year gone F2P so the random dropping system for the majors has changed to a more active system (better overall interaction with the event) where you win loot crates depending on correct predictions - turns out there weren't that many people botting' / idling for drops. It's a complete change in buisness approach.

No other FPS updates it's features like CS has, even when said features are ahead of the game. No other FPS rotates their maps out periodically to rejuvinate the map pool and improve them. No other FPS scene comes close to innovating in the way the CS community has at all levels. The only FPS that even comes close to trying is Overwatch and they're a much larger team fueled by the fact they make a boat load of money every time they intergrate a feature or encourage another team to give them $20+ mil.

Absolutely that is one way to do things.  I would agree that 343 tried to put too much of their own spin on the gameplay instead of just taking what Bungie did and working around it.  They decided to play with it instead.  HOWEVER, the fact that there were changes that make us less than happy means they ARE trying to innovate even if misguided or not as well fleshed out as it could be. 

Part of what I suggested in my "improving competitive" video was not being afraid to just say "well this didn't fucking work" on a map and pull it from the pool to retool it a bit (which obviously CSGO does extremely well).   

2 hours ago, Craneteam said:

EVENT DAY

r9mUsrc.gif

YOU CANT JUST USE A MEME OF ME TO CELEBRATE AN EVENT IM NOT APART OF MAN, CMON BRO

live in 5 btw - 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 4
  • Toxic (+1) 1

GL to everyone playing this weekend, I hope we can get some solid stream numbers with the recent MCC PC announcement.

• Like (+1) 2

Does anyone have the roster list for the 6 teams competing?

Just now, Frosty said:

Does anyone have the roster list for the 6 teams competing?

Tox: Snakebite, Royal 2, Lethul, aPG
GMS: Gabriel, Goofy, Fantasy, Eco
Rec: Snip3down, Ola, Lunchbox, Roy
Denial: Str8 Sick, Commonly, Aries, Shele
sQ: Flamesword, Ace, Neighbor, Assault
Lux: Gilkey, Cloud, Demon D, Bubu

Should be it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1