CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

13 hours ago, RTSxRagnarok said:

The biggest problem I see for CoD is that franchising comes with new team names. That was okay for Overwatch, a new game, but tradition bears a lot of the popularity for CoD through orgs like nV, OG, Faze, Complexity, etc. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it hurts to not have the brand directly attached.

I also don't see people spending upwards of 20 million (if its priced like OWL) for a team in a console league but maybe i underestimate how big it truly is. I still think console only hinders cod esports growth massively but too many brands/sponsors/orgs etc are too heavily invested in console to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunRanger said:

Not to mention all these city names sound corny. I have no interest in OWL and will have no interest in this.

it is indeed weirdly frustrating to see esports trying to copy traditional sports.  if I had to guess I would say it's the new money (traditional investors, traditional sports team owners) who have this idea of needing to emulate pro sports to achieve ROI and take esports 'to the next level', which is definitely what I would call 'old person logic'.  OWL hasn't been a complete failure but the game was already very popular . . . I 100% guarantee that it hasn't blown up like Blizz wanted, and they might have had more success with the traditional esports route of grassroots LANs + sponsored LANs + online pro league + etc.  

it makes sense to have city-based franchises in traditional sports because they literally have giant stadiums that need to be located in a single city ... the advantage of esports is that all the players can fly to a LAN and be on an even playing field (home/away games are a bug of traditional sports, not a feature)

the amount of people in any given city who will actually care that their terribly-named OWL or COD franchise team is 'based' in their city is incredibly small, while the number of fans of OpTic, FaZe, and nV who will be annoyed that they can't really support their team anymore is much larger

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Multi-Team is SUPER sweaty if you guys haven’t played it yet. Hella fun though.

5 hours ago, TheSimms said:

I also don't see people spending upwards of 20 million (if its priced like OWL) for a team in a console league but maybe i underestimate how big it truly is. I still think console only hinders cod esports growth massively but too many brands/sponsors/orgs etc are too heavily invested in console to move on.

It won't be anywhere near as expensive but I still don't see the point of it. CoD already has home grown Orgs invested, a variety of talent (orgs, casters etc) and a practically fully developer run scene already with teams hemmed into Pro Leagues / LAN circuits.

42 minutes ago, careh said:

It won't be anywhere near as expensive but I still don't see the point of it. CoD already has home grown Orgs invested, a variety of talent (orgs, casters etc) and a practically fully developer run scene already with teams hemmed into Pro Leagues / LAN circuits.

yeah it feels like a way to squeeze money out of a scene vs doing something to develop/grow the scene. i dont see many orgs wanting to pay to reenter cod and i see it killing off smaller orgs. i'm not a fan of eliminating the open format that grew the scene

Can't stress this enough, please make sure to fill your team and check-in. If you need any help, feel free to message us!

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Joseph said:

#ClassicHaloFan

Fantastic.

Still, 14 years later, I have strong memories of waiting outside the game shop in the middle of the night, because they released it at 00:01. And then the following disappointment...I hated it. But then I started to love it. And I still do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireAtWill said:

Fantastic.

Still, 14 years later, I have strong memories of waiting outside the game shop in the middle of the night, because the released it at 00:01. And then the following disappointment...I hated it. But then I started to love it. And I still do.

TBF, pre-patch Halo 2 was so bad. I also distinctly remember Rippon and a bunch of other people hating the game because of its drastic difference to Halo 1 and how it was a "noobified Halo." Always kind of wondered what would have made a good sequel to them.

.....wonder what they think about Halo 4/5 xD. 

• Like (+1) 2

Found some hard evidence for the reason of the Hardcore changes

On 11/12/2018 at 5:54 PM, Hard Way said:

-King of the Hill and Oddball should be played to 200 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 3

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Found some hard evidence for the reason of the Hardcore changes

Lol I know it’s in jest but others might not. I was talking about standard default MM settings, not competitive settings. Unfucking garbage ass default objective settings is kinda my hill to die on.

For those interested, some of the Rec guys are streaming scrims vs Elevate:

Roy:  

Snip3down:  

With tons of top esports franchising their league (League of Legends, Overwatch, Cod) do you guys think its a possibility for 343 to franchise halo esports when infinite comes out? Personally think if they could manage to acquire old mlg names for team branding instead of city based like overwatch and sell the spots to orgs it could work well.

Also, just wanted to say I haven't abandoned the History of competitive Halo video.  Needed a bit to recharge after the first part but I just finished researching and writing the script for the second part.  I'll probably record the voice over tomorrow and then get to work on tracking down the clips and putting it all together.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

As we head into tomorrow's Beyond Halo 3 tournament we only have 9 confirmed teams so far. If you have signed up - please make sure to have 4/4 and check-in. If anybody has questions regarding the tournament, feel free to message me.

• Like (+1) 5

15 hours ago, Llamaas said:

With tons of top esports franchising their league (League of Legends, Overwatch, Cod) do you guys think its a possibility for 343 to franchise halo esports when infinite comes out? Personally think if they could manage to acquire old mlg names for team branding instead of city based like overwatch and sell the spots to orgs it could work well.

The MLG team branding would be a unique situation in terms of appeal but realistically the cost of buying the top 4-5 brands from MLG would outweigh a lot of what Orgs would value a Halo team at. Outside of that potential situation it's even more unlikely teams would buy in because well... What do you gain?

Franchising is essentially committing yourself to becoming a caretaker of a team. You take on a massive financial burden in the hope to gain your value back down-the-line, this hasn't proven fruitful for any of the top esports as yet. Halo esports currently offers little to no value so do you even want to commit yourself to financing a team even if the initial buy in is low.

Just as is the case for CoD, it doesn't really make sense for Halo in it's current state. It also has the potential to damage the overall health of the scene making it even more top heavy, eroding player freedom and killing any third party TO involvement.

• Upvote (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Llamaas said:

Definitely not. Too much $$$, and then you can try to sell those spots but I am not really sure who would be buying them.

I don’t know if it’s just me but does anyone else really miss having scrims being tracked on HDH anymore? Like I haven’t watched any scrims live in well over a year and don’t really have the time to waste an hour watching an entire scrim anymore anyways.

Like HDH was a very good way of keeping up with how the teams stacked up against each other and just checking out who was on each team the only ones I know off the top of my head currently is Rec/Tox.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1