FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

I hate to say this but I agree with IcePrincess' critique that casters repeat what is on the screen way too much. I know I am guilty of this! Tsquared, Walshy and Elamite do a wonderful job at describing the big picture. Wonderboy and Onset have shown incredible growth in that area as well but we all need to be better at it.

Haven't seen Elamite, yet. I just want more of my boy, T2. I misssss him.

13 hours ago, LI Mr X IL said:

The why really boils down to how I feel Halo should play at its core. Halo to me is defined by its combo of shooting and movement. In my mind shooters with sprint and shooters without sprint are almost two different genres and I have a pretty big preference for shooters in the second category. Halo should play like an old school arena shooter like Unreal. No sprint. No ADS. If Halo Infinite has sprint and perfectly consistent shooting and another game drops at the same time that plays like Halo without sprint but has inconsistent shooting I’ll drop Infinite in a heartbeat to play that other game because that’s the style of shooter I enjoy. I will bitch and complain all day about the pistol in CE on MCC but I’ll still play while I’m complaining. Halo 5 on the other hand I could play all day without one complaint about my gun screwing me over in a fight but I’d still eventually just stop playing it because it wouldn’t be as fun to me. Every time I have to hit that stupid button to lower my weapon and run I’m reminded why I like how old school Halo played to begin with and why I don’t like sprint.

Simply, okay.

• Like (+1) 1

Who was the person who decided this online tournament should start at 8PM? 

It felt like all the teams realized around the same time that they're not playing for money in today's UGC tournament. GMS and Reciprocity at least were talking about it at the same time before the semi's.

I think the original announcement was pretty vague and I'm still unsure if the Winter Series has the teams play for seeding into a $1k tournament or if whichever teams have the most points after six tournaments wins a share of the $1k.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Noodle said:

It felt like all the teams realized around the same time that they're not playing for money in today's UGC tournament. GMS and Reciprocity at least were talking about it at the same time before the semi's.

I think the original announcement was pretty vague and I'm still unsure if the Winter Series has the teams play for seeding into a $1k tournament or if whichever teams have the most points after six tournaments wins a share of the $1k.

Yeah I always thought by their wording that each event would feature $1k prizing? So it’s 5-6 qualifiers that lead into a single $1k then? 

1 hour ago, Hxrshly said:

They exaggerate the flaws in the h3s BR because as a cope for being bad players.

Wrong.

Beast and Princess are fine Halo players, and are very competent. Something that seems to go over everyone's heads here is that they like consistency more than tradition. A utility weapon that fires accurately is something they value very much, myself included. Truth of the matter is, Halo has only had three games where there wasn't some sort of trick or large deficit to the weapon; Reach's MLG v7, Halo 4, and Halo 5.

CE's Magnum has a little spread, and an invisible bloom if you hold down the trigger. Aiming ahead varies whether or not you are host or off host. MCC has a less reliable version of the CE Magnum, along with the sandbox not reaching its full potential. Halo 2 has a Battle Rifle that sometimes registers your shots, and a hard limit cap to its range. Only way to experience true Halo 2 is either on a LAN, or a Vista mod. Halo 2 Anniversary has an ugly BR spread unless you zoom in with it, and is only tolerable enough because it's hitscan. Halo 3? Like I even need to elaborate.

Some of you overlook these problems because of the simple movement and the tight maps. Some of you overlook these problems because of nostalgia. Beast and Princess simply cannot, for their experiences with much more reliable weaponry in the more recent games have given them more enjoyment, regardless of said games' flaws. That's their thoughts on the whole thing, and they won't be changed. Ever.

I recommend everyone focus more on the games they want to play, and less of this. Agree to disagree, or what have you.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 4
  • Salt (-1) 1

5 seeding tournaments for a 1k online tournament. Peak Halo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Wrong.

Beast and Princess are fine Halo players, and are very competent. Something that seems to go over everyone's heads here is that they like consistency more than tradition. A utility weapon that fires accurately is something they value very much, myself included. Truth of the matter is, Halo has only had three games where there wasn't some sort of trick or large deficit to the weapon; Reach's MLG v7, Halo 4, and Halo 5.

CE's Magnum has a little spread, and an invisible bloom if you hold down the trigger. Aiming ahead varies whether or not you are host or off host. MCC has a less reliable version of the CE Magnum, along with the sandbox not reaching its full potential. Halo 2 has a Battle Rifle that sometimes registers your shots, and a hard limit cap to its range. Only way to experience true Halo 2 is either on a LAN, or a Vista mod. Halo 2 Anniversary has an ugly BR spread unless you zoom in with it, and is only tolerable enough because it's hitscan. Halo 3? Like I even need to elaborate.

Some of you overlook these problems because of the simple movement and the tight maps. Some of you overlook these problems because of nostalgia. Beast and Princess simply cannot, for their experiences with much more reliable weaponry in the more recent games have given them more enjoyment, regardless of said games' flaws. That's their thoughts on the whole thing, and they won't be changed. Ever.

I recommend everyone focus more on the games they want to play, and less of this. Agree to disagree, or what have you.

I mean honestly if you are playing OG CE, you're probably playing NHE, which has a neutral host.
Its been far to long since I've played OG H2, but they way you describe it makes it seem like bloodshots were very common. I don't ever remember it being that bad (or even common at all), I do remember host being auto-aim pretty much though.
MCC is just a mess and always will be.
H2A also had bullet refunding.

It's not like we overlook these problems. Discussion have happened a lot on this forums and others about how you would tweak the OG trilogy. Almost all of agree that Halo 2 needs less aim assist, Halo 3 needs a buff to pretty much everything besides sniper/rockets, I personally wouldn't do anything to the pistol in CE, just buff needler and PP.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm fairly familiar with the fallacies with the older games. Despite not being perfect, they are still preferable to modern Halo to a lot of us. Beast, you, Princess, whoever else can't stand sometimes irregular working utility weapons. The rest of us can't stand Sprint, Spartan abilities, Armor abilities, pretty much everything modern Halo comes with.

But yeah, at this point we all may as well agree to disagree.

8 hours ago, FrankTheShow said:

I don't have time to explain it to a Shadowrun noob like you. 

Go kick rocks glider boy.

4 hours ago, TheSimms said:

Reading through the @TheIcePrincess comments on casting and I can honestly connect with some of it, for the last 6-12 months I've had many people start calling me boring and saying i couldn't care for Halo casting anymore since doing PUBG simply because i completely stopped myself from play by playing whats on screen and actively try to talk about the game/bigger picture and pull as much info as i possibly could out of Dave. Play by play for my is an old school way of casting, you still need the hype and excitement but just talking about whats on screen on repeat is kinda dead imo.

I also think this slightly falls on the shoulders of Halo 5 and 343, 343 absolutely loves hype casting and Halo 5 became so stalemate during the early years with autos and radar that the casting kinda fell into line with it, then the fake/over hype became a thing with us all because that's what it took to override and work with the monkaS settings. I have only had opportunity to cast a few Halo 3 2v2's and my god its so much different, there's time to discuss setups/tactics/gameplay etc etc. I love it. Also more T2 at events please, thanks.

I've never really minded hearing a consistent play by play, but that's probably because I grew up watching Hockey games almost every night where that was pretty much all there was until a whistle.  "Matthews in the corner, passes back to Rielly.  Feeds it across to Marner and the shot goes off the crossbar and up over the glass out of play." 

I totally understand the desire more more nuance in the casting, but the beauty of a lot of play-by-play is that it's almost radio-esque where you can follow along if you switch tabs or something for a second.  Or maybe you have to leave the house in the middle of a hype match, and you can listen to it in the car.  Incredibly specific situations, I know, but there's definitely a place for a solid block of pbp instead of just a ton of analysis.  

10 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Wrong.

The G0AT FLAME

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really don't understand the argument going on right now. Malfunctioning and/or useless utility + power weapons and frivolous, stapled-on game mechanics are both extremely pressing problems for Halo (among other things). They both have shown to have a negative effect on gameplay to a given degree ranging from mildly annoying to legitimately game-breaking, e.g. the CE pistol vs. the H3 BR or equipment vs. advanced mobility. 

Deciding which flavor of half-assed Halo experience you personally can put up with is a matter of taste and literally nothing else.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Deciding which flavor of half-assed Halo experience you personally can put up with is a matter of taste and literally nothing else.

Yes. So agree to disagree, and move onto a different topic.

4 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Been waiting for this to drop. Is 343 involved?

This is powered by Beyond :beyond:

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 5

Just put down some thoughts on general things 343 can do to help improve competitive for Infinite.  Stayed as much from gameplay specific stuff as I could because we have no idea about the game (although there were some things that are generally accepted by the Halo community to basically be "no-shit sherlock" stuff).  Focused on general things and ways to make the scene better than 5's and get the best game possible right out of the gate.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CyReN said:

:ace:

Any chance of getting h2 down the line?

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, FrankTheShow said:

Gust.

Teleport > Gust + Glider combo imho.