CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

28 minutes ago, logicalstrafe said:

It's a simple ultimatum. Do you want sprint, or do you want a Halo game?

I don't give a fuck what you call the game. Sprint is not worse than coin toss utility fights. Sorry. It's not even close. 

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I get it. He's riding a warthog. Took me too long to figure that out.

All I see is a puma. Don't know what you're talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 minute ago, The Tyco said:

I see this is one of those "the b is silent".

24 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

What in the sam hell is a Puma?

33 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

What in the sam hell is a Puma?

It's a big cat of some kind.

• Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

They call him Mr. Pig...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

But why. If your gun doesn't work, then all the free movement in the world outright will not matter, because the actual crux of the game being a cointoss ruins everything around it, including movement. While I get the metric of "fun" is by definition, opinion based, how in the hell do you manage to have fun in a game where your aim and gunskill in an FPS literally does not matter, and things you want with movement won't matter as much either. Or may not entirely based on pure RNG.

The why really boils down to how I feel Halo should play at its core. Halo to me is defined by its combo of shooting and movement. In my mind shooters with sprint and shooters without sprint are almost two different genres and I have a pretty big preference for shooters in the second category. Halo should play like an old school arena shooter like Unreal. No sprint. No ADS. If Halo Infinite has sprint and perfectly consistent shooting and another game drops at the same time that plays like Halo without sprint but has inconsistent shooting I’ll drop Infinite in a heartbeat to play that other game because that’s the style of shooter I enjoy. I will bitch and complain all day about the pistol in CE on MCC but I’ll still play while I’m complaining. Halo 5 on the other hand I could play all day without one complaint about my gun screwing me over in a fight but I’d still eventually just stop playing it because it wouldn’t be as fun to me. Every time I have to hit that stupid button to lower my weapon and run I’m reminded why I like how old school Halo played to begin with and why I don’t like sprint.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Bold of you to assume Halo's defined by one trait and that one trait alone, lol.

I only implied that sprint (and thereby advanced movement) is not Halo and that classic Halo is. I did not make any other implications or assertions.

3 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

I don't give a fuck what you call the game. Sprint is not worse than coin toss utility fights. Sorry. It's not even close. 

If we are to disregard the name of the game completely and solely look at the gameplay, then we could easily make Halo 5 out to be from a completely different franchise.

• Downvote (-1) 1

"coin toss utility" and "gun doesn't work" sounds like a pretty broad and extreme hypothetical situation. I'm picturing some sort of weapon that's even worse than the halo 3 BR.

Imagine halo 3 with sprint? That'd be terrible. Get out of jail free cards don't play nice with long kill times. Halo 5 is the first in the series to get sprint right but that doesn't mean it's actually good, it's just no longer absolutely terrible. I enjoyed my time playing halo 5 and had no problem with the movement techniques although thrusting off objects was something I couldn't do consistentaly. It's fun to chain them but I'd rather there be a stronger emphasis in the shooting skill gap than movement. It's been shown throughout the first 3 games that classic movement can have a big skill gap with trick jumps.

To me it makes no sense to argue for sprint other than "well he's a super solider". Great... we can literally achieve what sprints offers without it being there.

If you told me that I can trade a consistent halo CE pistol for sprint I would never take that option. Can't imagine trying to deny camo on HeH.

Has anyone here played Murder Miners? It's minecraft style graphics with a weapon sandbox mixed of halo CE and halo 2. You can even wall kick. It was fun to play but sprinting around maps even with a halo CE pistol just felt wrong. I'd rather try to punish a slow moving out of place player in halo 3 with the RNG BR than play ring around the rosy in halo reach or 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Predictability of map movement should matter and should serve as a check to player skill level and be skill testing, map design, map movement, sprint, and advanced movement systems all work as multifactorial aspects of this, advanced movement and sprint hinder skill testing player predictability when not implemented around map design and map movement, Halo exists in a dimension of grey areas, it is non binary, you can adjust several of these systems in a way that feels more like Halo 1/2/3 than Halo 4/5, there will be trade offs, and it is my opinion that there are more elegant solutions than simply removing sprint and advanced movements, but arguing about nuance isn't nearly as fun, now is it?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FrankTheShow said:

Predictability of map movement should matter and should serve as a check to player skill level and be skill testing, map design, map movement, sprint, and advanced movement systems all work as multifactorial aspects of this, advanced movement and sprint hinder skill testing player predictability when not implemented around map design and map movement, Halo exists in a dimension of grey areas, it is non binary, you can adjust several of these systems in a way that feels more like Halo 1/2/3 than Halo 4/5, there will be trade offs, and it is my opinion that there are more elegant solutions than simply removing sprint and advanced movements, but arguing about nuance isn't nearly as fun, now is it?

3YIQS6k.gif

• Like (+1) 4
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, FrankTheShow said:

What advanced movement would you add first and why?

54 minutes ago, FrankTheShow said:

Making a million little nuanced changes to accommodate the inclusion of sprint is not elegant. It is just needlessly complex nonsense. There is elegance in simplicity and the most simple solution by far is to just remove a mechanic that wasn’t present until the fourth entry in the series when the first three games were arguably the most popular shooters for an entire generation of console players without it.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Mentalityy_TLC said:

Why are we arguing so much about sprint? What Halo really needs is evade back

You mean armor lock. Sprint doesn't belong in Halo. Armor lock does.

I hate to say this but I agree with IcePrincess' critique that casters repeat what is on the screen way too much. I know I am guilty of this! Tsquared, Walshy and Elamite do a wonderful job at describing the big picture. Wonderboy and Onset have shown incredible growth in that area as well but we all need to be better at it.

I have Tox winning the tournament because Royal 2 is way too nasty. 

It's been almost 12 years since the last new classic Halo game was released. Why the fuck are we still expecting a new classic Halo game after so long. Halo has been advanced movement and abilities for longer than it was ever what we define as classic. Honestly if you're expecting Infinite to be a purely classic game, you're going to be disappointed. It's time to move on tbh, play other games instead of being let down every Halo release. 

29 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

What is that and why? Emphasis on the why.

I don't have time to explain it to a Shadowrun noob like you. 

• Toxic (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

It's been almost 12 years since the last new classic Halo game was released. Why the fuck are we still expecting a new classic Halo game after so long. Halo has been advanced movement and abilities for longer than it was ever what we define as classic. Honestly if you're expecting Infinite to be a purely classic game, you're going to be disappointed. It's time to move on tbh, play other games instead of being let down every Halo release. 

I don't think it's fair to expect the game to purely revolve around one thing, but if there isn't a classic showing in any meaningful way then personally it's not getting bought or supported. IMO there will just be a further erosion of the playerbase, where people do end up cutting ties because there isn't anything to offer them that they can't get elsewhere of a better quality. Where once Halo excelled in many areas, this hasn't been the case for the longest time and there are plenty of great FPS games out there - it will be a simple eye test for the people who turn their attention hopefully once in a while.

10 hours ago, Teapot said:

"coin toss utility" and "gun doesn't work" sounds like a pretty broad and extreme hypothetical situation. I'm picturing some sort of weapon that's even worse than the halo 3 BR.

Imagine halo 3 with sprint? That'd be terrible. Get out of jail free cards don't play nice with long kill times. Halo 5 is the first in the series to get sprint right but that doesn't mean it's actually good, it's just no longer absolutely terrible. I enjoyed my time playing halo 5 and had no problem with the movement techniques although thrusting off objects was something I couldn't do consistentaly. It's fun to chain them but I'd rather there be a stronger emphasis in the shooting skill gap than movement. It's been shown throughout the first 3 games that classic movement can have a big skill gap with trick jumps.

To me it makes no sense to argue for sprint other than "well he's a super solider". Great... we can literally achieve what sprints offers without it being there.

If you told me that I can trade a consistent halo CE pistol for sprint I would never take that option. Can't imagine trying to deny camo on HeH.

Has anyone here played Murder Miners? It's minecraft style graphics with a weapon sandbox mixed of halo CE and halo 2. You can even wall kick. It was fun to play but sprinting around maps even with a halo CE pistol just felt wrong. I'd rather try to punish a slow moving out of place player in halo 3 with the RNG BR than play ring around the rosy in halo reach or 4.

They exaggerate the flaws in the h3s BR because as a cope for being bad players. Believing every fight is a "'coin toss", or "guesswork" is just tacit admission that they don't understand the game 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3