FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, PLaTaNo said:

All jokes aside, if Infinite doesn’t have sprint I’ll be hyped as fuck but if it does have sprint, I’ll probably end up selling my Xbox One X, Xbox S, and PS4 and disappear into the world of PC gaming. 

So the rest of the game could be perfectly tailored to one like yourself, with a good shooting skill gap, and the aesthetic bells and whistles of "classic™" Halo, and sprint would be the thing to break that all and make you sell hundreds, if not a thousand dollars in hardware? Seems a little extreme, lol.

In unrelated stuff, I really do wish we'd get better casters for Halo. Or, rather, improve the current ones for future events. I've been rewatching a lot of prior Halo 3/5 tournaments and if there's an ever-present thing that bothers me, it's the fact casters will basically consistently reiterate what's going on, on screen when we as the viewer can see it. Expressing surprise at a good play is one thing, but going "He's moving forward, putting shots into people, backing down" and so on really isn't needed when I can see this as a viewer. I'd love someone who's knowledgeable about Halo and the plays being made with regards to spawns, weapon control and the like being a caster. So they can speak on why things happen, not what happens as it happens, lol. For as much as people may rag on Walshy constantly explaining insta-splodes, at least it was a mechanical topic being spoken on overtop a game and accented the gameplay over simply retelling it. T2 was pretty good at this too, but alas, he hasn't really been a thing for a while. Overall, the best way I can describe this is that casters are an audiobook format of a tournament, and I want a director's commentary. Even if it wouldn't really help me, it'd do the casual viewers a solid if they don't understand things, rather than almost patronizing an audience, even if unintentionally.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

So the rest of the game could be perfectly tailored to one like yourself, with a good shooting skill gap, and the aesthetic bells and whistles of "classic™" Halo, and sprint would be the thing to break that all and make you sell hundreds, if not a thousand dollars in hardware? Seems a little extreme, lol.

I mean I had a few friends that grew up, eating, sleeping, and breathing Halo. They'd try other shooters that came out as well like CoD, Gears, Battlefield, etc, but for the most part it was Halo all the time.

Once MCC came out though, very few stuck around on an xbox. Some sold it and just quit gaming, some went to PS4 and started playing Destiny or CoD. Some shelled out $1500+ and got a gaming PC and started branching out on what they were playing. One of my best friends is doing a playthrough of Resident Evil 2, something he would never even think about playing in 2007.

Granted I think you should branch out in gaming in general. So many good experiences out there, but when you dedicate so much time and effort into something and they start continually letting you down, why would you want to stick around?

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nokt said:

I mean I had a few friends that grew up, eating, sleeping, and breathing Halo. They'd try other shooters that came out as well like CoD, Gears, Battlefield, etc, but for the most part it was Halo all the time.

Once MCC came out though, very few stuck around on an xbox. Some sold it and just quit gaming, some went to PS4 and started playing Destiny or CoD. Some shelled out $1500+ and got a gaming PC and started branching out on what they were playing. One of my best friends is doing a playthrough of Resident Evil 2, something he would never even think about playing in 2007.

Granted I think you should branch out in gaming in general. So many good experiences out there, but when you dedicate so much time and effort into something and they start continually letting you down, why would you want to stick around?

I'm not really questioning the idea of being let down, per se. Just that you could literally (In this hypothetical) have a game that in general appeals to people, and even in spite of that, sprint being there results in a game over. Just feels extreme to me when so much more matters, like good gunplay, mechanical skill, good gametypes, the like. Saying this as a person who also grew up literally being ingrained in Halo. Or, rather, having it ingrained in me.

52 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don’t care whether or not a game has flaws or is a fine tuned machine, nothing is perfect. You constantly making shitty post and bashing anyone and everyone’s nostalgic appeal for classic Halo is extreme.

I spent countless hours playing Halo 3, and enjoy it to it’s very core. Living in South Korea at the moment has me waiting in the matchmaking queue for up to 3 hours at a time to find a game solo queueing from here because I’m not a priority to get in games due to high ping, and I have Halo 5 downloaded and NEVER played a game of it since it released. So yes, sprint would be the make or break for me because IMHO any Halo post Reach was dogshit to me and I spent countless hours grinding out Reach and Halo 4 (time I wouldn’t want back either because I made some good friends and Halo 3 was a big enough part of my life where as I hoped the next Halo installment would reflect it more.)

• Salt (-1) 1

42 minutes ago, careh said:

People say Halo5 is the best iteration of Sprint to date and has a decent shooting skill gap, I'm not remotely interested in playing Halo5. I, along with a lot of other people, are simply not interested in playing a Halo game that is defined by the stop-start mechanics of Sprint. Cover-to-cover distances, kill times, AA, map geometry and so on are all swayed by ability based movement in a way I find moves away from why I played the game in the first place. I even play games with a variety of sprint like mechanics (CS, OW, PUBG etc) so it's not as if I'm taking a stand against movement ability mechanics altogether I'm just not excited or even interested by a Halo game moving in that direction.

As for the casting issues, look back over previous HCS years and see how much everyone has improved. Halo still has a relatively small tournament count for a top tier esport so really it's no wonder that people don't feel comfortable moving away from the tried and true formulas that worked so well in the MLG days. That said, GB and Simms working away on different top tier esports will only strengthen and diversify what gets brought to the table. The other massive positive that gets overlooked a lot is the Halo talent aren't imports so through thick and thin they're going to rep Halo and look to push themselves and better the scene.

Eh, maybe, I still feel dropping Halo and tons of hardware over one mechanic assuming the rest are serviceable to a classic audience is still extreme. Not saying I support sprint, but I could entirely tolerate it, provided I can shoot a gun with proper feedback and consistency. 

And to the second point, "eh". I don't really see much improvement having binged stuff, and people still just spend games reiterating stuff. Most of the talk comes from pre-post game desk talks. Which is "fine", but I never watch them because I don't watch the streams to watch people specifically talk. I hope Infinite's scene does better with this/people put more effort into it as the new title. Or at least have improved more by then. Don't really wanna say it's a lack of effort, as I think the people behind it are passionate, just not entirely in tune, yet.

22 minutes ago, PLaTaNo said:

I don’t care whether or not a game has flaws or is a fine tuned machine, nothing is perfect. You constantly making shitty post and bashing anyone and everyone’s nostalgic appeal for classic Halo is extreme.

I spent countless hours playing Halo 3, and enjoy it to it’s very core. Living in South Korea at the moment has me waiting in the matchmaking queue for up to 3 hours at a time to find a game solo queueing from here because I’m not a priority to get in games due to high ping, and I have Halo 5 downloaded and NEVER played a game of it since it released. So yes, sprint would be the make or break for me because IMHO any Halo post Reach was dogshit to me and I spent countless hours grinding out Reach and Halo 4 (time I wouldn’t want back either because I made some good friends and Halo 3 was a big enough part of my life where as I hoped the next Halo installment would reflect it more.)

First, ya gotta chill a bit. I'm not bashing anyone's nostalgic appeal even if I do dislike nostalgia.  I don't care if you like the game for it, or get fuzzies off of it. That's cool, and I'm only questioning the dipping of a ton of hardware over one mechanic if the rest of the game was tailor made to you. Seems very very extreme, still. And honestly a superb waste, but, it's not my money. Only my question.

Although, I do find it ironic one grinded Reach, and considers the games after it to be worse when Reach had one of the worst incarnations of sprint. So it was tolerable for you to play it a buttload and still consider it good in comparison to what followed, yet if Infinite has it, even if it appeals to the classic crowd, you'd still drop it and the associated hardware? Something's fucky here, to me. If it was a clear cut "I hate sprint in general", I'd consider it extreme, but understandable, but you liked and played a game with it in an extreme form. Not to start a shitstorm lmao, it's fucking exhausting, but what's the deal with that, and why wasn't sprint the deciding factor there if it will be here for a game you haven't seen yet?

24 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Eh, maybe, I still feel dropping Halo and tons of hardware over one mechanic assuming the rest are serviceable to a classic audience is still extreme. Not saying I support sprint, but I could entirely tolerate it, provided I can shoot a gun with proper feedback and consistency. 

And to the second point, "eh". I don't really see much improvement having binged stuff, and people still just spend games reiterating stuff. Most of the talk comes from pre-post game desk talks. Which is "fine", but I never watch them because I don't watch the streams to watch people specifically talk. I hope Infinite's scene does better with this/people put more effort into it as the new title. Or at least have improved more by then. Don't really wanna say it's a lack of effort, as I think the people behind it are passionate, just not entirely in tune, yet.

First, ya gotta chill a bit. I'm not bashing anyone's nostalgic appeal even if I do dislike nostalgia.  I don't care if you like the game for it, or get fuzzies off of it. That's cool, and I'm only questioning the dipping of a ton of hardware over one mechanic if the rest of the game was tailor made to you. Seems very very extreme, still. And honestly a superb waste, but, it's not my money. Only my question.

Although, I do find it ironic one grinded Reach, and considers the games after it to be worse when Reach had one of the worst incarnations of sprint. So it was tolerable for you to play it a buttload and still consider it good in comparison to what followed, yet if Infinite has it, even if it appeals to the classic crowd, you'd still drop it and the associated hardware? Something's fucky here, to me. If it was a clear cut "I hate sprint in general", I'd consider it extreme, but understandable, but you liked and played a game with it in an extreme form. Not to start a shitstorm lmao, it's fucking exhausting, but what's the deal with that, and why wasn't sprint the deciding factor there if it will be here for a game you haven't seen yet?

Where in my post did I say I thoroughly liked Reach and Halo 4? I literally said it was dogshit and the only thing that fueled me to continue playing Halo in general at the time was my love for Halo 3. 

If $700 is a lot of money to you (estimated cost of a Xbox One X and Xbox One S) invest more time in finding a better job/career instead of shitposting on a Halo forum.

Sprint was a deciding factor and what caused me to sell my Xbox in 2015 when I first saw Halo 5 gameplay so please stop assuming I enjoyed playing Halo iterations with sprint, merely tolerated it because of love and hope Halo 3 gave me for the series.

36 minutes ago, PLaTaNo said:

Where in my post did I say I thoroughly liked Reach and Halo 4? I literally said it was dogshit and the only thing that fueled me to continue playing Halo in general at the time was my love for Halo 3. 

If $700 is a lot of money to you (estimated cost of a Xbox One X and Xbox One S) invest more time in finding a better job/career instead of shitposting on a Halo forum.

Sprint was a deciding factor and what caused me to sell my Xbox in 2015 when I first saw Halo 5 gameplay so please stop assuming I enjoyed playing Halo iterations with sprint, merely tolerated it because of love and hope Halo 3 gave me for the series.

1 hour ago, PLaTaNo said:

So yes, sprint would be the make or break for me because IMHO any Halo post Reach was dogshit to me and I spent countless hours grinding out Reach and Halo 4

That's the thing. I didn't say you said you liked them. I quoted and spoke on how you considered every Halo post Reach dogshit. Post Reach being after. So, Halo 4, 5, beyond, not before. So that by implication states it was tolerable at the very least, and that it was good in comparison to what followed. Verbatim. It still doesn't really tickle the itch of how one mechanic somehow overshadows everything else. My original question hinged on how Infinite potentially having it means another console sell spree, and a movement to PC. Even if everything else was done right for a classic Halo fan. You still think that's worth it? Over one mechanic? Even if the rest is good, or at the very least, serviceable?

Also, man, if $700 is arguable in being considered a lot to you, can I have some, lmao. I have more figures I wanna buy, and $700 would be gucci in the summer line coming out this year. Or the potential winter releases. Share the looooove.

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'm not really questioning the idea of being let down, per se. Just that you could literally (In this hypothetical) have a game that in general appeals to people, and even in spite of that, sprint being there results in a game over. Just feels extreme to me when so much more matters, like good gunplay, mechanical skill, good gametypes, the like. Saying this as a person who also grew up literally being ingrained in Halo. Or, rather, having it ingrained in me. 

Like I said, continually being let down. Sprint in Infinite might not seem like a big to you, but it can be a big deal to some. If sprint is one of the banes of you playing "modern" Halo, then it continually being in every iteration is going to get on your nerves.

Sprint at the very least was downplayed in Reach and 4 competitively (aka removed). Halo 5 is the only iteration that has kept Sprint. I think it definitely could be the straw that broke the camels back for people if its continued in Infinite.

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Although, I do find it ironic one grinded Reach, and considers the games after it to be worse when Reach had one of the worst incarnations of sprint.

I think I actually prefer Reach's sprint to any other sprint. Infinite sprint to me is far worse.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A halo with sprint doesnt appeal to me. It doesnt matter if it was halo ce (my favorite), but sprint. Its dead to me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Like I said, continually being let down. Sprint in Infinite might not seem like a big to you, but it can be a big deal to some. If sprint is one of the banes of you playing "modern" Halo, then it continually being in every iteration is going to get on your nerves.

Sprint at the very least was downplayed in Reach and 4 competitively (aka removed). Halo 5 is the only iteration that has kept Sprint. I think it definitely could be the straw that broke the camels back for people if its continued in Infinite.

I think I actually prefer Reach's sprint to any other sprint. Infinite sprint to me is far worse.

I should also speak up on how I feel sprint in general is treated like Satan's right hand man when bigger fish to fry exist. Again, I don't support it, I get what it does, it's at best redundant, at worst, a detriment, and it's still one of those fish. And obviously I've ranted on gun stuff before, but even when we removed sprint from Reach, we still had bloom for a quarter of the game's competitive life. Conversely, Halo 4 had sprint in the AGL run, but it had the DMR/BR as good weapons. And stuff like that is a much larger killer/builder to me. Same for Halo 3. Halo 3's held as a gold standard for comp play but is one of those games where every gunfight's just something else, and there are obvious issues. And it kept those through its lifespan, up to now. 

So it weirds me out that sprint, a movement mechanic will be the thing that's demonized because of the fact it removes some control of your gunplay, and alters map flow, when we'll then turn around and play or support games that remove your gun's ability to work consistently and in turn also affects the game negatively in a more tangible way. Again, I don't really care for what game's your favorite, but it's just nuts to me to see people wanting to drop a game for sprint alone mind you, but not another for the fact your weapon isn't consistent when the game's a shooter. Sprint may be its own bane, and I can get it being a disappointing feature with each release, but with each new release too, we've only gotten better performing weapons in turn. Halo 4 had good, if easy weapons with the DMR/BR, Halo 2: Anniversary's BR was great, if again, easy, and Halo 5's magnum was almost perfect bar its ease of use and magazine size. Funnily enough it's been the only weapon in a Halo game to shoot 100% straight on launch and not require any tweaks bar making it properly difficult to use, lol. And to me, that always outweighed the movement. If shooting my gun works, and is rewarding enough, that'll override any feelings I have about movement, even if I don't support it. Which was mostly where I was trying to lead into initially. I feel damnation for sprint is overblown, honestly. Compared to the other fundamental issues.

2 hours ago, PLaTaNo said:

Stop responding to the troll

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Sandman said:

This was amazing 

it's literally my favorite channel on YT

also guys holy shit, I realize some people are just checking into the thread every once in a while, but just stop engaging the troll in conversation, if you really want to learn her views just go through the H5/Infinite threads, she's been making the same handful of points for years

45 minutes ago, valaea said:

it's literally my favorite channel on YT

also guys holy shit, I realize some people are just checking into the thread every once in a while, but just stop engaging the troll in conversation, if you really want to learn her views just go through the H5/Infinite threads, she's been making the same handful of points for years

Hmm sounds like literally everyone here lmao 

• Toxic (+1) 3

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I should also speak up on how I feel sprint in general is treated like Satan's right hand man when bigger fish to fry exist. Again, I don't support it, I get what it does, it's at best redundant, at worst, a detriment, and it's still one of those fish. And obviously I've ranted on gun stuff before, but even when we removed sprint from Reach, we still had bloom for a quarter of the game's competitive life. Conversely, Halo 4 had sprint in the AGL run, but it had the DMR/BR as good weapons. And stuff like that is a much larger killer/builder to me. Same for Halo 3. Halo 3's held as a gold standard for comp play but is one of those games where every gunfight's just something else, and there are obvious issues. And it kept those through its lifespan, up to now. 

So it weirds me out that sprint, a movement mechanic will be the thing that's demonized because of the fact it removes some control of your gunplay, and alters map flow, when we'll then turn around and play or support games that remove your gun's ability to work consistently and in turn also affects the game negatively in a more tangible way. Again, I don't really care for what game's your favorite, but it's just nuts to me to see people wanting to drop a game for sprint alone mind you, but not another for the fact your weapon isn't consistent when the game's a shooter. Sprint may be its own bane, and I can get it being a disappointing feature with each release, but with each new release too, we've only gotten better performing weapons in turn. Halo 4 had good, if easy weapons with the DMR/BR, Halo 2: Anniversary's BR was great, if again, easy, and Halo 5's magnum was almost perfect bar its ease of use and magazine size. Funnily enough it's been the only weapon in a Halo game to shoot 100% straight on launch and not require any tweaks bar making it properly difficult to use, lol. And to me, that always outweighed the movement. If shooting my gun works, and is rewarding enough, that'll override any feelings I have about movement, even if I don't support it. Which was mostly where I was trying to lead into initially. I feel damnation for sprint is overblown, honestly. Compared to the other fundamental issues.

I'm not saying that there is or isn't bigger fish to fry, but where we are at right now I'd say sprint is one of the larger fish to fry in Halo. I'd say that when Reach was released Sprint actually wasn't one of the bigger concerns. Bloom was, Armor Lock was, Camo was, etc. Thats why when the TU dropped sprint wasn't affected (or at least not very much). I'm not much of a Halo 3 fan, its probably my least played Halo by far and I don't really look to it as a golden standard.

I think you're understating how detrimental Sprint is. Altering map flow for me is pretty big, look at how many great maps we've had since Sprint was introduced. I honestly can't name one that would stand in the same league as anything from the original trilogy. I mean it might just be that the map creators aren't up to snuff, but even forge maps created by the community just aren't doing it. Sprint changes how the game is played in general though, it has a decently big impact on Halo.

I'm not praising bloom or the randomness of the Halo 3 BR. Jump delay on CE, no ammo on sword in H2, lack of weapon sandbox in H3. Those are some pretty big oversights of earlier games.

I'm not a very big fan of the H5 magnum, 5 shots is just too much and brings the average TTK down. Don't get me wrong had it been a tad more powerful I think it could have been the best starting weapon MLG V7 Halo Reach.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not a fan of TIP, but this ain't trolling. This just feels like one of those moments in this forum's cycle where some of you feel antagonistic towards an individual you don't particularly agree with. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@TheIcePrincess Sprint isn’t a big deal at all in competitive shooters in general but it is a huge deal for Halo. I have a ton of options for competitive shooters. Plenty of those options have guns that shoot straight. They have solid net code that doesn’t drop shots. I don’t care to play those games. YES I want my gun to shoot straight. YES I want engagements to be consistent and fair. YES I want the utility to be difficult and have a decent skill gap. However, if you give me a Halo with sprint that has a difficult to use utility that never drops a shot and every single gun battle is 100% consistent I simply will not give a flying fuck. I still have way more fun playing CE on MCC where every single trigger pull of the pistol is a complete coin toss than I ever did in H5 because to me the fluid combination of movement and shooting is integral to the core of what Halo is as a shooter. If the gunplay is solid then I’m sure it’s a good shooter but if there’s sprint that’s all it is, a good shooter. It’s not a good Halo game even if Halo is in the title. I think a lot of people here feel the same way.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Crimson said:

I'm not a fan of TIP, but this ain't trolling. This just feels like one of those moments in this forum's cycle where some of you feel antagonistic towards an individual you don't particularly agree with. 

I agree. Its far more annoying to see people just immediately resort to calling someone a troll or shit talking them. If you decide to make an input on someones POV then expect them to respond thats what a conversation is.

20 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

@TheIcePrincess Sprint isn’t a big deal at all in competitive shooters in general but it is a huge deal for Halo. I have a ton of options for competitive shooters. Plenty of those options have guns that shoot straight. They have solid net code that doesn’t drop shots. I don’t care to play those games. YES I want my gun to shoot straight. YES I want engagements to be consistent and fair. YES I want the utility to be difficult and have a decent skill gap. However, if you give me a Halo with sprint that has a difficult to use utility that never drops a shot and every single gun battle is 100% consistent I simply will not give a flying fuck. I still have way more fun playing CE on MCC where every single trigger pull of the pistol is a complete coin toss than I ever did in H5 because to me the fluid combination of movement and shooting is integral to the core of what Halo is as a shooter. If the gunplay is solid then I’m sure it’s a good shooter but if there’s sprint that’s all it is, a good shooter. It’s not a good Halo game even if Halo is in the title. I think a lot of people here feel the same way.

That's an absolute, big fat fucking yikes right there. I hope there aren't a lot of people that feel the same way. 

25 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

That's an absolute, big fat fucking yikes right there. I hope there aren't a lot of people that feel the same way. 

I don’t see why it’s a yikes. It’s just how I honestly feel. Sprint really changes the game at a pretty fundamental level. Same as if Halo introduced true ADS that slowed your movement and made hip fire near useless. It could be a great competitive shooter with those mechanics (Rainbow 6) and could have Halo in the title but to me it still wouldn’t be a good Halo game because it fundamentally changes the style of gameplay I expect from Halo. Halo with sprint to me just doesn’t feel like Halo. 

• Like (+1) 2

So apparently theyre making changes to the gametypes? Rec was scrimming Lux today and they played Oddball and KotH w/ the score set to 200.

• WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

When's the wedding btw?

4 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

It's a simple ultimatum. Do you want sprint, or do you want a Halo game?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

5 hours ago, LI Mr X IL said:

But why. If your gun doesn't work, then all the free movement in the world outright will not matter, because the actual crux of the game being a cointoss ruins everything around it, including movement. While I get the metric of "fun" is by definition, opinion based, how in the hell do you manage to have fun in a game where your aim and gunskill in an FPS literally does not matter, and things you want with movement won't matter as much either. Or may not entirely based on pure RNG.

29 minutes ago, logicalstrafe said:

It's a simple ultimatum. Do you want sprint, or do you want a Halo game?

Bold of you to assume Halo's defined by one trait and that one trait alone, lol.