CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Oby said:

Heard Sundance held an hour long MLG history lesson during Puckett's Winter WonderLAN. Anyone got a link + timecode to where I can find it?

is this what you were looking for? about 30 min with sundance and walshy with some puckett after

Spoiler

edit: this might be it toowalshy, puckett, and a drunk sundance talking about the old days and some shadowrun convo

Spoiler

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Craneteam said:

is this what you were looking for? about 30 min with sundance and walshy with some puckett after 

@Craneteam Thanks for the effort, but I can't get those links to work, I'm afraid...

EDIT: Both links are also identical. But after rewriting the URLs I was able to figure out which video they refer to:

Still can't find any history lesson 30 minutes in, though...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Oby said:

@Craneteam Thanks for the effort, but I can't get those links to work, I'm afraid...

EDIT: Both links are also identical. But after rewriting the URLs I was able to figure out which video they refer to:

Still can't find any history lesson 30 minutes in, though...

crap that sucks. i'll post as straight links

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/374240672?t=01h56m19s sundance and walshy skip to closer to 2 hours

this clip goes into some great history

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/374240672?t=06h40m41s

some histoy with walshy, puckett, and sundance

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373841906?t=01h16m22s (i like the convo starting here, but you can skip to https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373841906?t=01h37m47s for the good stuff)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

I don't know where else to put this so I guess I'll put it here.

• Thonking (+0) 3
  • WutFace (+0) 2

20 minutes ago, Silos said:

I don't know where else to put this so I guess I'll put it here.

:thinking:

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly would be surprised if tournaments weren't integrated into these events, similar to how loads of stuff was added to last years world finals to appeal to the more (for lack of a better term) 'casual' halo fan. Bridging the gap between the 'casual' Halo fans and the esports side of things is vital, because there are way more casual fans than esports fans

• Like (+1) 5

38 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I honestly would be surprised if tournaments weren't integrated into these events, similar to how loads of stuff was added to last years world finals to appeal to the more (for lack of a better term) 'casual' halo fan. Bridging the gap between the 'casual' Halo fans and the esports side of things is vital, because there are way more casual fans than esports fans

Assume light competition is something like Microsoft store events. 

• Like (+1) 4

I mean ... for sure it's a good thing, I just hope it wasn't taking resources away from Infinite

4 minutes ago, valaea said:

I mean ... for sure it's a good thing, I just hope it wasn't taking resources away from Infinite

No one working on this would have anything to do with Infinite and funding isn't really an issue for a first party Microsoft game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder how successful these events will be, seems entirely too niche considering what appears to be a slimmed down Halo fan base, the whole "family friendly" event hook seems a bit strange, and the ticket prices seem a bit steep considering the actual active hours of the event. 

• Like (+1) 1

This kind of thing seems to me like something that should have been done in conjunction with the release of Infinite. Either slightly ahead of it or slightly after. Announcing it now, when we don't have the foggiest clue when Infinite is coming just seems like really weird timing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I want to use the fellow kids gif again.

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, FrankTheShow said:

I wonder how successful these events will be, seems entirely too niche considering what appears to be a slimmed down Halo fan base, the whole "family friendly" event hook seems a bit strange, and the ticket prices seem a bit steep considering the actual active hours of the event. 

I'm really confused on how you are even supposed to spend 3 days at this event and not run out of things to do very quickly. Even with the short hours.

I think based on the timing of these events, we can infer two things:

1.) Halo:Infinite is releasing in 2019 and 343 is holding these events to generate hype to carry over into the game release as a marketing tactic.

2.) Halo:Infinite is not releasing in 2019 and 343 is holding these events to keep fan interest and morale until a later release date.

Based on this, we can safely infer that Halo:Infinite is either releasing this year or later.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Either way, we can safely infer that Halo:Infinite is either releasing this year or later.

tenor.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 6

Regardless of Infinite, I think it is pretty amazing that somehow 343 has the time to open up an amusement park, but still can't add a playlist for people who want to roleplay as Grunts in matchmaking.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

2 minutes ago, Silos said:

IOr will they announce that Halo Infinite will be playable for the first time at Halo Outpost events and they will have some sort of mini tournament or award for participating?

I wouldn't fly to one of these personally, but I could see it making a decent day trip if there was one closer to me.

That's a really interesting point.  That would be pretty hype actually, to drop a big E3 announcement and be all like "oh yea, and you can play it first at the outposts in a couple weeks."