Sign in to follow this  
BobbyBones

What would you add, remove or change about Halo?

Add: Shock Rifle, wall kick, momentum melees, Haste powerup

Remove: all forms of spartan gimmicks, upgrade-based sandbox elements

Ideal utility: 4sk, 1s TTK, 2x zoom, aim assist and bullet magnetism of H3 BR, projecile, no spread.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo Ce Magnum.  Strafe battles with a projectile weapon are so much more interesting than point and clicking everything with aim assist.  Plus it's almost completely consistent and has a reasonable killtime instead of a molasses one.

Pause menu would look something like this.  Would make the game more accessible and would just be incredibly useful in general.

Add a custom games browser.

Base the sandbox around Ce and only add the actually unique new weapons from the other games instead of tons of redundant bloat.  Adjust balance.  Plasma Rifle should be 100% accurate with no bloom or spread, and should kill about 25% faster (two seconds is far too slow as is, especially in a 0.6-1.0s sandbox), at a cost of faster overheating.  Shotgun should have a fixed spread pattern like Quake so it's not entirely random.  Rework the Plasma Pistol and Needler entirely, I have ideas but am keeping it brief.  Weapon switch speed should be about twice as fast to encourage using other weapons more often.  Assault Rifle could use some added utility but not sure what yet.

Abilities reworked into equipment with limited time uses placed on the map.  New powerups added to the game.  I have ideas but don't really want to get into it right now, but one thing I would like to see is an evade that also allows shooting, maybe ten uses, as a buff that still requires skill to pull off. Add more options for the custom powerup.

Inherent Spartan Abilities:  NO SPRINT.  "Sliding" in the sense more forward momentum is preserved if you crouch while moving forward.  One-time use Wall Jump similar to Nyx.  Melees have momentum based damage, no lunge or aim assist, and can one-shot if done from great heights.  Grenades only do a half-shield in self damage to promote grenade jumping.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If Halo Infinite doesn't have individual weapon damage modifiers, I may very well not play it. Seven games into the main series and not having that option will be absolutely embarrassing. We know the game won't be balanced out of the box. 

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There's literally not a single armor ability or spartan ability that adds anything productive to Halo's gameplay. Sprint is chief among them, and is by far the most damaging, but they all need to go. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

If Halo Infinite doesn't have individual weapon damage modifiers, I may very well not play it. Seven games into the main series and not having that option will be absolutely embarrassing. We know the game won't be balanced out of the box.

We can make the Pistol fire Scarab gun projectiles or put a sniper scope on it but we can't make it a 3sk or reduce the insane bullet magnetism. It's just so backwards.

I don't really blame them though, this is the developer that needed a 10 GB patch to fix a plasma grenade glitch and reduce the aim assist on the sniper rifle. From what I've heard they also currently cannot change MCC playlist without patching the game. Damage modifiers would just blow their minds and take up years of resources probably.

• Upvote (+1) 4

We can make the Pistol fire Scarab gun projectiles or put a sniper scope on it but we can't make it a 3sk or reduce the insane bullet magnetism. It's just so backwards.

I don't really blame them though, this is the developer that needed a 10 GB patch to fix a plasma grenade glitch and reduce the aim assist on the sniper rifle. From what I've heard they also currently cannot change MCC playlist without patching the game. Damage modifiers would just blow their minds and take up years of resources probably.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that there's a different reason they don't include them. One that is glaringly obvious. 

Halo Reach had both the DMR and the Needle Rifle. The weapons operated similarly and occupied the same niche so they could be considered “redundant bloat”. On the other hand, having both weapons allowed Invasion to equip each team with weapons appropriate to that team’s species. Similarly, Elite Slayer would feel janky if Elites were spawning with DMRs.

Is it OK to add sandbox bloat if it, 1, provides players with more varied gametypes and, 2, doesn’t negatively affect the rest of the sandbox?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gonna go out on a limb and say that there's a different reason they don't include them. One that is glaringly obvious.

I get what you mean, I'm just saying even if we got the damage modifiers they would suck or be broken

Add: Shock Rifle, wall kick, momentum melees, Haste powerup

Remove: all forms of spartan gimmicks, upgrade-based sandbox elements

Ideal utility: 4sk, 1s TTK, 2x zoom, aim assist and bullet magnetism of H3 BR, projecile, no spread.

wall kick would be a spartan gimmick.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo Reach had both the DMR and the Needle Rifle. The weapons operated similarly and occupied the same niche so they could be considered “redundant bloat”. On the other hand, having both weapons allowed Invasion to equip each team with weapons appropriate to that team’s species. Similarly, Elite Slayer would feel janky if Elites were spawning with DMRs.

Is it OK to add sandbox bloat if it, 1, provides players with more varied gametypes and, 2, doesn’t negatively affect the rest of the sandbox?

First, they could've given them a long range alternative that wasn't simply a functional clone of the same gun.  Or just actually designed the maps around the asymmetric differences in weaponry.

Second, why does the mode need to be elites vs spartans?  You could've had two teams of spartans with identical equipment and still maintained the same amount of "mode variety".

Three, minor exceptions here and there are fine, but redundancy should be avoided as much as feasible.  It always negatively impacts the sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 1

minor exceptions here and there are fine, but redundancy should be avoided as much as feasible. It always negatively impacts the sandbox.

Shotgun - Magnum - Sniper

I believe that, in BTB or larger game modes, a weapon can exist between the Magnum and the Sniper. My reasoning for this is as follows.

On 4v4 arena maps, the Sniper is no scoping or using the first zoom level the vast majority of the time. The second zoom level is rarely used. There is no dead space between the Magnum and the Sniper’s niches.

In BTB, where a sniper may be using the second zoom level quite often, there is a no man’s land between the Magnum’s niche and the Sniper’s second zoom level. This is where I think a weapon like a DMR or Needle Rifle would fit in quite nicely.

why does the mode need to be elites vs spartans?  You could've had two teams of spartans with identical equipment and still maintained the same amount of "mode variety".

Well, Invasion is asymmetric by nature, attackers and defenders. The maps are asymmetric. Giving the two teams asymmetric traits and weapons further separates this unique gametype from the standard spartan vs spartan equal starts gameplay that is present in the rest of the game. Having unique game modes is a good thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

wall kick would be a spartan gimmick.

Not really. By definition maybe, but the functionality and power is something I would compare to crouch jumping or spring jumping, which are hardly gimmicks. This isn't some bullshit titanfall ability, even actual arena shooters like UT4 have a wall kick. Absolutely not comparable to stuff like Sprint, Ground Pound and Armor Lock.

I'm with Ramirez here though I'd be a bit more conservative with the changes.

I think the biggest thing Halo needs right now, assuming the "base" of the next game is something of a Halo 2/3 clone, is a good weapons sandbox. I really want them to go crazy with this. If a big part of Halo's DNA is the arena shooter, we are definitely missing the funnest thing from those games, which is distinct and fun weapons. Bring the basics from CE, rework the Needler a bit, and then bring in stuff from the other games but reworked to have more interesting uses. Some ideas I have: the scattershot is pretty cool but could be reworked as a more mid range weapon - much tighter spread, lower ROF, starts off with meh damage but does more damage the more wallbounces you get. Imagine bouncing a shot off 3 walls to slap someone instantly, would be sick. Bring back the Needle Rifle, make it so if you get 3 headshots in a row you get the supercombine, ignoring shields and getting a quicker kill. Also make it so if you fire 3 shots at a wall or something, that spot will explode too. Bring back the Spiker, make it capable of penetrating thin cover ie: you get a guy one shot and he hides behind a thin wall like the kind you see in Foundry or Wizard, and you could finish him through it.

These are just some examples of things they could do. I'm not going to hold a gun to anyone's head demanding that these specific suggestions get in. But there is so much creative potential that is not being utilized here. Every time a new weapon is added, it is just a slightly different version of something that already exists. How many hold RT & walk forward guns do we need? How many precision dueling weapons do we need? Give us weird shit.

This might be unpopular but I also think they should bring back equipment from Halo 3, and possibly limited use armor abilities as map pick ups like was done for Reach sometimes. Just that instead of scattering them around the map all haphazardly, they could be used the way power ups and power weapons currently are. I would just hope they aren't boring ones like an invincible bubble shield or regen. You could make the bubble shield roll when shot at, so the guys inside would have to move with it... again, just spitballing. I think they'd be a worthwhile addition.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I believe that, in BTB or larger game modes, a weapon can exist between the Magnum and the Sniper. My reasoning for this is as follows.

There's few situations in BTB where the full 8x zoom is needed, even fewer where the Magnum isn't able to challenge.  Only one I can think of offhand is how Ce Magnum bullets literally disappear past the hill on Blood Gulch, but that would be a simple fix.  Considering the Magnum and Sniper both have 0.6s killtimes it would be hard to cram a new weapon in there too.  I guess you could add a DMR with 3x/6x and faster projectile velocity but the same killtime and no out-of-scope aim assist?  That's an ultra specific niche though, beyond that range niches are already fulfilled in Ce.

As for the ideas you asked me about:

Plasma Pistol:  Noob combo is pretty pointless in Ce's sandbox, especially with the PP's very weak player tracking, and I don't think Noob comboing is particularly a good thing in the first place.  The gun serves very little point in arena modes.  I would like to add unique traits to it or just rework it entirely.  A lot of different directions you could take here, for instance SPV3's brute plasma pistol that leaves a pool of fire is pretty neat.  SPV3's version of void's tear that pulls enemies towards you with standard shots and creates a gravity well with charged shots is also pretty neat.  Hell even the inverse of that, something that has mild knockback on standard shots and major knockback on a charged shot could have unique applications, like rocket jumping, reflecting projectiles or pushing enemies off of hazards.  Or you could just remove tracking entirely and turn it into a 1sk railgun of sorts.  I'm not really decided which direction to take it, but as ARUKET said you might as well go crazy with the pickup guns and there's a lot of crazy but sensible things you could do with a charged projectile weapon.

Needler:  Hard to fix this weapon.  Currently it's mostly used to get easy kills on unaware opponents.  Let's run with that.  Now it doesn't interrupt camo, fires quieter, projectiles don't start glowing until several feet away from gun so your position is harder to determine, and has vastly reduced spread so you can fire it around corners without the projectiles just dispersing all over the place.

Assault Rifle:  Accurate for first few shots before expanding to current spread, make finishing off enemies a bit more viable but still keeping it weak as a mid range combat weapon.  More powerup synergy.  Vamprism restores a bit extra, speed boost lets it one hit melee kill at full forward speed, overshield gives it the ability to destroy explosives.  Would have appropriately colored bullet trails to make this a bit more obvious to user.

Powerups:

Overshield (Green aura):  Just a quality of life change.

Speed Boost (Light blue aura, blur around player)  - I don't agree with the arguments against it and I feel it would indirectly make the Plasma Rifle more desirable too.  Thoughtful counterplay is always a good thing.

Vampirism (Reddish-Purple aura)- Damaging enemies restores your health and shields.  Powerful but requires skill to use, and it's been tested in comp mods before, we know it works.

Key (Gold aura)-  Possessing it enables you and only you to travel through specific map doorways, teleporters, etc.

MVP (Changing Rainbow aura) - All points earned are doubled for duration.  Kills count for two, more KoTH/Oddball time, etc.

Equipment:

Spawn Beacon - Basically same as BF, mainly for BTB, allies can spawn at it one time each.

Evade - As I previously mentioned.

Gravity Lift - Good, neutral equipment with teamwork applications.  Should return.

I had more equipment ideas but tapped out at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Ramirez77

A Spawn Beacon would require input from players during their respawn timer: choose regular spawn by letting the timer run down or beacon spawn by pressing a button. Since players don’t normally need to make decisions during their respawn timer, this could cause the spawn beacon to go underused merely from players not paying attention or even realizing it is an option during those brief few seconds.

I think a better way to accomplish a similar goal would be an “Exit Node” piece of equipment. Each base would have a permanent Entrance Node built into its geometry that is inactive until a player acquires the exit node equipment and deploys it on the map. The end result is similar in that players can immediately bypass portions of the map but requires no input during respawn.

Using an exit node also gives players a visual cue as to when it can be used. The base’s entrance node would go from dark to lit up, showing players that it is active and can be used. Since players spawn in or near their base anyway, the few extra seconds it would take to travel through the teleporter are insignificant. Also, it would allow players to be more prepared because they chose, themselves, to enter the teleporter. They weren’t just dropped out front of the enemy base off respawn like a spawn beacon could do.

Something to think about. The MVP power up. I like the idea but it seems like an uninteresting way of gaining more points. Like, an Overshield helps a player to gain more kills by enhancing his vitality. Damage Boost helps a player gain more kills by enhancing his damage output. Speedboost helps a player get more kills by enhancing his movement. Camo helps a player get more kills by enhancing his stealth capabilities.

Power ups indirectly help a player gain more points by enhancing some aspect of his base traits. MVP cuts out the middle man, directly increasing the player’s point gaining ability. I find it more interesting to enhance a specific base trait and have the increased points gained come as a result of that.

I like the Key power up a lot and have some thoughts of my own on it that I will share with you at some point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dig the MVP powerup a lot. Teams would prioritize keeping him alive, feeding him, and making sure he's the OBJ player. Naturally he would draw a lot more fire too, and not have any powerup traits to protect him from that extra attention. It would drastically change the way people play the game, without needing to change the actual gameplay. You can play something very similar in H1 Race variants, and H2 KotH and Ball, by setting the scoring to "Maximum" instead of "Sum". Then your team's score is only equal to the team member with the highest score on your team, creating a de facto "Objective Guy". It's actually really fun.

Obviously I would never use it in CTF or Assault. That'd be dumb as hell. It'd be perfect for TS, KotH and Oddball though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Hard Way

An alternative approach to the MVP power up could be a trait zone. Imagine Oddball on Midship with a hillzone bottom mid(or on Guardian with a hill zone top mid). Holding the ball in the hill earns double points point. This still allows for double points but is not limited to a single player for a limited duration and requires the player to be in vulnerable position.

• Upvote (+1) 1

First and foremost, halo needs absolutely rock solid netcode which can handle projectile weapons without dropping shots. Leading has to feel really good. All weapons should be projectile based. For utility weapon, I would like to see a clone of the CE Magnum for 2v2. If players want something different for 4v4, a fast shooting 3sk BR with h3 like levels of bullet mag and aim assist, with no spread obviously.

As for bullet magnetism, I’ll throw this idea out there again: weapons have more magnetism when shots are paced. If you fire at full speed, the amount of help you get is reduced. This will keep weapons from being too sweaty because the shooting skill gap is mainly a factor of knowing how to lead your shots, not simply how pixel perfect you can keep your reticle on a targets head. That is in my opinion the entire reason why sweaty weapons exist. As an added bonus, this would keep average kill times from being too high, without affecting the difficulty of the perfect kill time.

Abilities: No thanks m8. Certain things people have described here might not be that awful, but I would err on the side of caution and opt for no abilities.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Hootspa

Wouldn’t increased magnetism be detrimental to a player trying to lead his shots with a projectile weapon? Like, he is trying to put his reticle in front of his enemy but the magnetism keeps pulling his reticle onto his enemy instead. Or you mean like bullet magnetism, like curving bullets?

Anyway, here’s an idea for a new kind of turret.

Picture something like this but with less cover for the operator:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Erco-Ball-Turret.jpg

Like traditional turrets, the ball turret spawns mounted in one location. The operator can aim and fire but not move. Unlike traditional turrets, the operator can choose to detach the ball turret from its mount, allowing him to travel around the map the like a vehicle.

Furthermore, while mounted on a base (let’s call it a Hoverpad), the operator can choose to teleport himself and the turret between up to three other Hoverpads, allowing him to cover different approaches. A central teambase could have Hoverpads located at the north, south, east and west outlooks. A teambase at one end of the map could have Hoverpads at Left-low, left-high, Right-low, and right-high (the lows for incoming infantry and ground vehicles while the highs defend against incoming aerial vehicles).

While mounted on a Hoverpad, the turret’s health regenerates. Even with regenerating health, the turret could still be destroyed by a series of high damage attacks within a short period of time. While dismounted, the mobile turret’s health does not regenerate, allowing it to be destroyed by low damage attacks over a longer period of time.

@@Hootspa

Wouldn’t increased magnetism be detrimental to a player trying to lead his shots with a projectile weapon? Like, he is trying to put his reticle in front of his enemy but the magnetism keeps pulling his reticle onto his enemy instead. Or you mean like bullet magnetism, like curving bullets?

Picture something like this but with less cover for the operator:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Erco-Ball-Turret.jpg

Like traditional turrets, the ball turret spawns mounted in one location. The operator can aim and fire but not move. Unlike traditional turrets, the operator can choose to detach the ball turret from its mount, allowing him to travel around the map the like a vehicle.

Furthermore, while mounted on a base (let’s call it a Hoverpad), the operator can choose to teleport himself and the turret between up to three other Hoverpads, allowing him to cover different approaches. A central teambase could have Hoverpads located at the north, south, east and west outlooks. A teambase at one end of the map could have Hoverpads at Left-low, left-high, Right-low, and right-high (the lows for incoming infantry and ground vehicles while the highs defend against incoming aerial vehicles).

While mounted on a Hoverpad, the turret’s health regenerates. Even with regenerating health, the turret could still be destroyed by a series of high damage attacks within a short period of time. While dismounted, the mobile turret’s health does not regenerate, allowing it to be destroyed by low damage attacks over a longer period of time.

Bullet mag as in the bullet actually curving.

@@Hootspa

Picture something like this but with less cover for the operator:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Erco-Ball-Turret.jpg

This is the kind of thing they should have done with the Forerunner weapons, but we got literally the least creative weapons imaginable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Hard Way

An alternative approach to the MVP power up could be a trait zone. Imagine Oddball on Midship with a hillzone bottom mid(or on Guardian with a hill zone top mid). Holding the ball in the hill earns double points point. This still allows for double points but is not limited to a single player for a limited duration and requires the player to be in vulnerable position.

I wouldn't hate that in Ball, especially if the zone rotated every few minutes. It'd probably be confusing as shit for new players though, who have a hard enough time deciphering where to go with only one arrow. I think it'd be a fun variant for Oddball, but shouldn't outright replace it.

The things you don't like about the powerup are the things I DO like about it. I love how the importance of one person can drastically fluctuate for finite amounts of time, and how there's a lot at stake if he dies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd lift CE's aiming, damage tables, and gun physics wholesale and start there. It can change between then and release but it definitely needs to start there.

There's only so many new modes we can have before things get too cluttered and nobody gets what they want, and I feel like that's where we are as is, but the game needs to be made fresh again and I don't think abilities or other gimmicks keep Halo fresh. It often just highlights the areas where Halo still hasn't grown.

- Equipments were still a neat concept however. Bubble Shield was a solid equipment and for how many AAs were added to do the same thing, it still does it best: provide momentary cover from ranged fire, don't slow the game down too much. Evade I feel much the same about and I feel it should also be an equipment, as it ignores most of the issues presented by Thruster and Sprint. I'd get rid of both if I could have evade.

- Completely revamp the melee system. Halo 2's melee system is hilariously outdated. I think if they removed the aim assist and made the lunge consistent, while expanding on the use of momentum like in Halo 2 in a way that's nuanced and easy to understand, this would change quite a bit about the average Halo match. It would be neat for example, if air melee did a bit more damage and this was shown in the animation because the player physically crane kicks the other spartan.

- Damage tables as I already mentioned previously, need to have far more options for editing them in custom games, and perhaps even in Campaign for some custom Campaign shenanigans. Either way I feel there isn't much reason not to innovate here. You can't please everyone with patches and everyone has their own idea of how much damage or aim assist weapons should have. A simple rollout menu when you click the starting weapon in custom games that shows the current aim assist %, fire rate %, damage %, spread % respectively would work wonders and I feel like it would be easy to implement.

^This will in turn, remove the need for REQ weapon variants entirely.

*anchoring*

• Upvote (+1) 2

an armor lock ability everyone has on spawn that has no cool down. you also gain points per second as you use it, regardless of the gametype.