Cursed Lemon

Poll time: What was more competitive as a game, H2 or H3, and why

More competitive game?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which was more tr00 MLG?

• H2
    • H3
    • They're not that different, so the same
    • They're different in important ways, but their strengths/shortcomings even out

This isn't a loaded question. This is a "shit's boring around here so let's have a discussion" question. 

Ignoring the talent pool which was somewhat bigger in H3 (I guess) and sticking with developer-released maps, which game was more competitive in a mechanical/functional sense? 

For me, the H3 BR just felt so inconsistent online compared to H2 so it doesn’t really matter if the maps were arguably better because Halo with an unreliable utility is like building on quicksand. On paper Halo 3 is better. In reality, not so much.

I think the concept of Equipment is cool but executed poorly in H3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H2: Movement/strafe, strong BR, button combos

H3: Amazing Sniper, more unique map designs, better spawns (imo?), projectile weapons

I'd probably say Vanilla H2 > Vanilla H3, especially in terms of individual skill, but as a whole H3 MLG was a bit more polished and refined as a competitive team game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'd say that in terms of default settings (SMG/AR starts, default weapons on map), H3 is actually the more competitive game. As everyone knows, SMG starts are cancer, and that combined with the easy-to-use precision weapons, power weapons that can be held indefinitely, and ridiculously OP niche weapons like the Brute Shot, Sword, and Plasma Pistol, makes for an imbalanced mess. I'd gladly take the overbalanced, rock-paper-scissors combat of Halo 3 over that.

In terms of MLG settings, I'd give the edge to Halo 2, for the simple fact that one's individual skill can better shine through by the mastery of button combos, and faster gameplay thanks to the shorter TTK.

Theyre so close. Like they both suck and are good in different areas but i'd give the edge to halo 2. Random spread and competitive isnt a thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 2 definitely had a higher skill ceiling but Halo 3 obvs was more ' popular in the competitive scene '.

That being said ... Halo 2 > Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do think there's something to be said about glitches compared to abused mechanics. People abusing spawns is a result of abusing a game mechanic, button glitches are a glitch. Glitches can make a game harder, but I sometimes struggle to accept that their presence makes a game more competitive.

Which is why I struggle to answer this question. I'll happily accept that button glitches make Halo 2 harder, but is a lucky accident enough to save it from high aim assist and a stupidly easy sword? Compared to Halo 3 where all of the weapons had lower aim assist, but I think in general traversing the maps was easier in terms of knowing where to go.

I never lanned H3, but heard good things compared to online. Went to 2 mlg for H2. Dallas 06 and Orlando 07. H3 seemed like a dumbed down version of 2 for me. Remember at a local I had 1st shot vs. T2 and he three shot me (double shot) to win the battle. None of that existed in H3. Aiming has also never felt has responsive since H1/2.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Tough to decide. No other games in the series are as close to each other as H2 and 3. There are differences in map design (H3's maps offer more variety but H2's are probably better overall) and H3 has a slightly better spawn system and weapon respawn system. But at the end of the day it probably comes down to individual preferences:

• Do you value a crisp strafe
  • Do you value skillful sniping
  • Do you prefer KOTH or Assault as comp gametypes
  • Aiming skill vs button combos
  • How much do you hate spread
  • etc.

Also, it's a good thing you limit the discussion to dev maps, because keeping these awful two base two tower maps in rotation over some way better forge maps or Citadel was a huge missed opportunity.

• Upvote (+1) 3

H3's BR is probably the biggest thing separating the two games, as while it definitely has less aim assist, the dropped shots and random spread are completely unacceptable. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

I used to argue Halo 3 was pretty close because projectile bullets, less aim assist, less abused power weapon spawn system, I mean on paper it sounds better.

Then you sit down and actually play it. With its godawful aiming mechanics and an FOV that makes me feel sick and turns CQBs into a total mess where I can't see what the hell is happening. Add random spread onto that where you're unable to tell just how many shots are actually landing and thus you're not sure when you should bail out of a fight or if it's actually winnable...

Yeah I'll take H2. At least I can aim and see what the hell is going on. Button combos save the game too.

• Upvote (+1) 2

With its godawful aiming mechanics

It has now been 10 years, 10 months, 27 days since Halo 3 released and to this day nobody, including apparently Bungie coding engineers, knows why the Halo 3 aiming feels like it does. 

Gaming's greatest mystery. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

H2 has more consistent gunplay, but all the weapons are fuck easy. At least H3 has the sniper. I'd still go with H2 though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With all of its issues and problems I’ve read over the years about the halo 3 BR, I still love the feel of that damn weapon. Maybe it’s the sound, I dunno but fuck I love BRing people in halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 3 had more competitors overall. But I gather that's not what we're talking about.

Both games are fucking broken, but H2 is better because at least its aiming doesn't feel sluggish. That may be one thing, but it's probably the most important in a game like this.

Hasn't there been a few pros that played in both games that cite halo 3? I think it had to do with the timing and organization of team pushes. The game as a whole promoted linear aggression and wouldn't allow you to teamshot across map. This forced some really organized pushes (still exists in h2)

My vote would probably go to Halo 2, despite higher bullet magnetism and a weapon spawn system I greatly dislike.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I love playing halo 3.

Halo 2 is better on a mechanical level though, so it wins. We can talk about halo 3 on lan not having the dropped shots problem, but at the end of the day, that spread is a problem in a comp environment. The movement is also not as crisp.

Halo 2 is a little better in a lot of ways. In the end that tends to matter.

(I still have more fun playing 3 lol fight me nerds)

• Upvote (+1) 3

There is no issue in h2 which exceeds the gameplay detriment imposed by h3's bloodshots (which still happened on LAN). The random BR spread also sucked.

Could you imagine telling an 06 halo player, "heads up, br bullets wont shoot straight or register half the time on lan in the next halo game" everyone would think you're crazy.

It sometimes blows my mind that bullets registering and shooting straight aren't guaranteed functionalities to expect in halo games.

Could you imagine telling an 06 halo player, "heads up, br bullets wont shoot straight or register half the time on lan in the next halo game" everyone would think you're crazy.

well seriously, no one would think youre crazy. Halo 2's br was more inaccurate than halo3's on launch and was changed to no spread in a later patch some time in 2005. And bungie did not mention the br at all in that patch so many hypothesize it was a glitch that went under the radar.