Sign in to follow this  
O2theWen

The wonderful matchmaking of Throwdown

The only thing the system does well is big party matching (teams of 3 or more vs other teams of 3 or more). Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the ranks.

This was with me and 2 others I know in a party of 3.

The settings we have come up for throwdown are decent, and the game on lan and events plays much better. But currently the matchmaking system of this game is broken at its core and no matter what settings 343 comes up with people will not come back because of this. Literally everything about the matchmaking system is broken.

This just happened.. lol

c2a427375b06fb38e41e11f3986baed6.png

We were the 3, 5 and 5.  The 38 was a random, who was obviously in party chat.

Played throwdown earlier. Had 2 teammates go 6-30... I'm surprised they were able to get six kills....

I enjoy throwdown, even the games where I'm outclassed...but when I get destroyed 2, 3, 4 games in a row its definitely discouraging. It's even tougher to convince my team mates (who i usually run TS with) to keep playing TTD. On those rare occasions where I am equally matched I have the most fun. 

Something needs to change, just not sure what

maybe have a variable party average level limit. like 10 levels above, 5 levels below.

The Throwdown playlist for some reason is massively laggy, more than the other playlists. I have a feeling they devote less server capacity to that playlist or sth.

Thats the main reason I dont play it much.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Well, I decided to try Throwdown today in a to4. None of us are high ranks, so I thought, why not give it another try. First (and last) game...

amvzvr.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, I decided to try Throwdown today in a to4. None of us are high ranks, so I thought, why not give it another try. First (and last) game...

amvzvr.jpg

Your life sucks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Your life sucks.

Silver lining: If we had to get smacked around by anyone, it might as well be by Derskey, Roy, and Ghost. At least they were nice about it in the few seconds we heard them post game lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not sure, and this has been a problem not only in Halo 4 but Reach.  While it is slightly irrelevant, I just want to bring up how Pros in Reach would search on their main accounts, suicide to get down by a lot of kills, then proceed to win the game.  The trueskill simply didn't work-- They would never be able to do that in Halo 2 or 3.

Silver lining: If we had to get smacked around by anyone, it might as well be by Derskey, Roy, and Ghost. At least they were nice about it in the few seconds we heard them post game lol.

True that, at least it wasn't by The Big breakfast or someone like that  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just searched for the first time v4 was first released and the game was unplayable. I shot a guy with 6 bursts and he did not take any damage. Then I teleported back like 10 feet and previously mentions master chief 4 shotted me.

True that, at least it wasn't by The Big breakfast or someone like that  :kappa:

He rarely talks shit to anyone unless they're already established names. He'd usually just crack jokes to random players but talk a lot of shit to top players. I remember in Halo 3 we matched up against some of TD and he proceeded to talk shit and play dumb. He said if those kids were ever thinking about going to an event they'd be wasting their money etc.

I think it's hilarious watching top pro's get destroyed by a pro on an alternate account, then listen to the exchange afterwards.

Even before posting this topic I realise I'm probably gonna be verbally abused/mocked til kingdom come, but I felt it's something that needed discussing.

Now, some background, me and my team usually play Infinity Slayer, as a team of 4, if we have 5 or more friends/players on we'll probably go into flag, or objective or BTB, and without bragging, we do pretty well, winning the vast majority of our games, usually by a fairly large margin (Large-in?).

The ONLY exception to this is Throwdown.  We haven't played much throwdown, and the reasons for that will make themselves apparent.  But what I really wanted to discuss was the issue with the low population meaning matchmaking really struggles to find fair, or even close to fair matches.

The example I have here is a quite extreme, but not uncommon example.  We went into TTD as a Team of 3, CSRs 3, 5, and 5 (please don't laugh too hard), with little actual throwdown experience.  We were matched with a 39 on our team, against a 48, 41, 33, 27.  In a playlist where the CSR/Trueskill/Ranking is based on Team rather than individual performance (so ranks increase more slowly), obviously the team we were matchmade against has a massive amount of throwdown experience compared to us, which as you can expect, resulted in us getting absolutely destroyed.

What I wanted to ask was, is there any way to avoid this happening on such a regular basis?  Obviously the best way to improve is to play people better than you, usually only slightly better, but when it's difficult to get a match against a team anywhere near your (current) skill level (obviously our TTD skill is low because we've hardly played any), but getting matched against people WAY out of your league over and over again isn't going to help us improve at all because we could hardly put up a fight.

Is it better to go in alone or as a two, in hopes of avoiding party matchmaking until we've got a decent amount of throwdown experience, or are we forever doomed to be matchmade against people way above our current skill level, preventing us from actually improving?

My honest advice is to jump head first into the competitive scene by watching streams, vod, live tournaments and most of all grinding the fuck out of the playlist. 

Losing to Ghost is always the best cuz its like at least dude MADE the gametypes lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played a few games of TTD yesterday and it was actually pretty enjoyable. I guess it's because I won majority of my games, but I didn't play any teams that just annihilated us or anything like that. Unfortunately, I can't expect it to stay like this for long.