CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

53 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

I don't think it does? I purposefully waited until I started getting shot to activate and died every time. Unless it starts after the shield is fully charged? 

It works the same as the Halo 1 OS, while it's charging you're invincible, however your shield doesn't start charging until the animation of you shoving it into your chest so you need to activate it early and pop out during the animation.

1 minute ago, Pyroteq said:

It works the same as the Halo 1 OS, while it's charging you're invincible, however you're shield doesn't start charging until the animation of you shoving it into your chest so you need to activate it early and pop out during the animation.

Weird I swear getting lasered like... Multiple times after the animation finished. Maybe it was just multiple bots going ham with ARs haha

10 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I'm loving the energy in this thread tbh. There's a hefty amount of negativity as ever, but there is also a lot of genuine criticism and even some optimism popping up. But the energy is spicy. Seeing some long-dormant posters come back.

That's cause we're vampires. Energy fuels my sorry soul. Sipsipsipsipsipsipsipsipsip

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I'm willing to bet that one of those guns is a reinterpretation of the Light Rifle. Most of the new sandbox weapons have actually just been altered weapons of the past.

Precision weapons 

Magnum - [email protected] 

Battle Rifle - [email protected]

Boltshot - [email protected] (with 1sk charge then alt-fire) 

Light Rifle - [email protected] (with scoped alt-fire, [email protected]

Sand Blaster - [email protected] (with various alt-fires, ammo automatically refills while standing on sand) 

Needler - scoped [email protected] (hit target with semi-auto scoped shot to make automatic unscoped shots track) 

I'm not a fan of the look of all the powerups. It's a little disc hovering a few feet above the ground. It's not exiting or enticing. Powerups/equiptment or whatever they're called now need to feel awesome to grab, not just activate.

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Geaux Andrew said:

I'm not a fan of the look of all the powerups. It's a little disc hovering a few feet above the ground. It's not exiting or enticing. Powerups/equiptment or whatever they're called now need to feel awesome to grab, not just activate.

How would I know I am doing something awesome if I didn’t see my hand slamming into my chest?  

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

How would I know I am doing something awesome if I didn’t see my hand slamming into my chest?  

I want my Spartan to jump up in the air, have the background change, and then he throws a peace sign at the camera before each activation. Only then will I feel fully immersed.

• Fire (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Geaux Andrew said:

I want my Spartan to jump up in the air, have the background change, and then he throws a peace sign at the camera before each activation. Only then will I feel fully immersed.

s-l1600.jpg

19 hours ago, hvs500 said:

You're absolutely right. My fault honestly, I should've said weapon control. I think it's really simplistic compared to quake. 

As for long term strategy- it has it, sure. But I'd argue that it's not very deep, and pales in comparison to it's short term strategy. Even the example you've mentioned, that's something really simplistic.

I think one big issue with fps design as a whole is the fact that everything you've done before the next cycle exists in a vacuum. It is utterly irrelevant to the current game state, except for the score (which isn't very interesting). So, instead of constant movement and growth as the game progresses, you're essentially doing the same thing till you reach 50 or whatever.

I mean I hear what you're saying, it's not like an RTS game or something.

I do disagree a bit, I think the game state is constantly in a flow based on what preceded. Getting rockets in Chill Out for example puts the other team on the back foot and helps the team with rockets get the OS next minute. Maps like Hang Em, Prisoner and Derelict can have huge runs of spawn kills if one team is executing perfectly and predicting spawns and has sight lines locked down. 

It's the goal of the team at a disadvantage to "reset" the match into the state you are talking about, so maybe it seems like that it's the default state to you but to me one team often had to work hard and take some deaths in order to get it into that neutral state before the next cycle comes up. 

I do think CE has a problem with objective though, which is where long term strategies really shine. CE would need a modified spawn system and more symmetrical maps to work well in 4v4 objective. 

• Like (+1) 1

My own unpopular hot takes here:

-I really like the OS/Camo as equipment. Wether or not it is better for gameplay can be disputed, but the part of me that wants to efficiently conserve my resources absolutely loves the change. That and the implementation looked pretty good. Sure they are nerfed a bit, but really, how often do you get the most out of the whole duration in prior games? Also the ability to drop them on death is great and makes me think about not accidentally handing them over to the other team/stealing them for myself. I was never a fan of burning Camo or someone touching the OS spawn for invincibility in the middle of a fight. Granted, someone could duck behind cover to use them, but they definitely went out of their way to make sure you can't easily just panic-use them.

-I gotta admit that I have always liked having strong ARs. Always annoyed me the concept of it only being an easy starter weapon that gets forgotten at high levels of play. The casual inside me just loves the visceral feeling of melting things in close range. I've been glad to have the ARs be good ever since the Halo 4 Turbo Update that made it a 13 bodyshot kill. I can also appreciate it having now become more short-to-actual-mid range, now, too.

-With that said, I still prefer to be able to ALSO have my precision weapons alongside the auto at spawn. Generally never liked only having one or the other, instead of just having both. I like the well-rounded sense of versatility that having the two gun types at once gives me. I know that people here dislike the whole 'press Y to win' thing, but I've always kinda liked it. I'll admit that it is a tough thing to balance though.

-While not sure I'm a fan of the Sidekick Pistol being unable to help cover the long-range bracket, I really can appreciate how they are trying to clearly separate the utility weapon into two separate precision weapons instead of one that does it all, and is part of why I always thought that spammy Magnums from the past should kill faster with the range limitaion. The Sidekick Pistol sucks at a distance but the BR and Commando are very clearly generally inferior at close range with how much more difficult they are to hit shots while so close to the opponent. If I had either, I often found myself switching to the Sidekick for easier and more reactive shots in close-range duels.

-The gimmicks of Equipment and prior incarnations of them and Armor Abilities were always cool to me and really help cement the sci-fi tech IMMERSION (lol) of the Halo gadgets. In Infinite they look very finely tuned to help compliment the core gameplay and really made the game feel sandbox-y without slowing the pace down. Even the Drop Wall encourages more offensive use by being able to shoot through it instead only being able to defensively hide behind it. The Grappleshot is particularly great for enabling some crazy fun plays.

-As far as map pickups go, I definitely want the stuff on the map to be viable. Not have the high level gameplay always be only BR/Snipe/Rockets like the tournaments are notorious for stripping down to. At the same time, that doesn't mean I want everything to be a straight upgrade like in H5, either. Just not have everything be crap compared to the utility weapon. Note that so far, Infinite doesn't really have 'straight upgrades' on the map. Everything is either a former power weapon or mostly some weird alien thing with more unique strengths and weaknesses.

Plasma Pistol for noob combo, Needler for punishing those caught too far out in the open away from cover, Ravager is a bit odd with the primary fire but the alt-fire area denial is it's own big strength. Shotguns are a bit weaker to allow more time to counter them (like H3 Mauler), Rockets are obviously a true power weapon, and Snipers are significantly hard enough to use again that I really feel pressured to try and stay at long range like they are supposed to. Not sure exactly the point of the Pulse Carbine other than maybe a good assist gun? Lol.

There really aren't many redundancies in terms of small-arms such as automatics or precision weapons that we know of, at least not to the scale of H5. One COULD count the BR and Commando as being Pistol upgrades but IMO they didn't really feel like it. The precision rifles really feel meant for mid-long range only and kill slower/ are significantly harder to use at close range than the Sidekick Pistol. The utility weapon really does seem like it got split up.

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I'm willing to bet that one of those guns is a reinterpretation of the Light Rifle. Most of the new sandbox weapons have actually just been altered weapons of the past.

I'm okay with them changing weapons up but that Carbine is STUPID. Why does it need to track? It's literally a better plasma pistol charge up shot but also only useful at a very specific range because the tracking will make it miss at short or longer ranges. 

14 minutes ago, xSociety said:

I'm okay with them changing weapons up but that Carbine is STUPID. Why does it need to track? It's literally a better plasma pistol charge up shot but also only useful at a very specific range because the tracking will make it miss at short or longer ranges. 

The tracking is dumb, but I think it's pretty fun to use inside of tracking range because you have lead shots in order to land them. It's a 2 burst kill with a headshot making it the only precision defense against this ridiculous AR. 

343 should scrap the current halo infinite multiplayer and just remake it as a clone of rainbow 6 siege that is set in the halo universe where it’s spartans versus covenant attacking each other at strategic locations and instead defusing a bomb it’s like exploding the ship or something. I genuinely think that would work better than what we have now

• Toxic (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

Even Linus gets it man....

"literally the basics, RED VS BLUE, okay?"

1 hour ago, xSociety said:

I'm okay with them changing weapons up but that Carbine is STUPID.

It's a more challenging version of the H5 Boltshot. Get a feel for it in training next flight; it's a cool gun.

19 minutes ago, znot said:

Even Linus gets it man....

"literally the basics, RED VS BLUE, okay?"

Pineapple vs Light Purple   >   Red vs Blue

Come at me. 

Just now, xSociety said:

Pineapple vs Light Purple   >   Red vs Blue

Come at me. 

I tried the new color thing but it's so awkward. I thought it only changed the outline of the spartan, not my actual reticle color.

It's weird seeing a yellow reticle over an enemy instead of red. I almost forgot to shoot.

1 minute ago, znot said:

I tried the new color thing but it's so awkward. I thought it only changed the outline of the spartan, not my actual reticle color.

It's weird seeing a yellow reticle over an enemy instead of red. I almost forgot to shoot.

I will agree, that and the radar colors should be their own setting. 

3 hours ago, Geaux Andrew said:

Give me the floating orbs of energy any day.

The outline system is actually pretty garbage and a lot of people seem to hate it. Funny how many of us were predicting this when first it was revealed. It's almost like it was a very obviously shitty idea that was only included because of $$$.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The outline system is a decent idea, just needs better implementation 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

The outline system is a decent idea, just needs better implementation 

I’d like to see at the very least an option to force red vs blue on your own screen. And as far as outlines go, I think it’s redundant to outline enemies; just outline teammates with green or your team’s color and call it a day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1