CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 hours ago, hhhh said:

The BR and DMR in Halo 5 were essentially slightly better versions of the utility weapon and people immediately argued for their removal. Many users here pushed for a buff to the pistol to make sure that the utility weapon was the strongest non-power weapon on the map. I believe the reasoning was something along the lines of "someone picking up an upgraded version of the same gun adds randomness."

It had nothing to do with randomness. The BR and DMR we're just straight upgrades. Not even because they did more damage but just because they were so fucking easy. Damage was about the same. Getting 4+ perfect kills in a game with a BR wasn't hard.  Weapons being desirable because they're easy is shit. Less skillful distractions.  Ppl were asking for the pistol to do more damage but be harder.  

2 hours ago, znot said:

im on controller. I can't do anything. at least until the final game comes.

i was tryna rebind teh "drop weapon" button on dpad cause I kept using that instead of swapping nades. So many weapons I dropped accidentally

Holy shit same. I do like having a drop weapon feature though.

1 hour ago, Mhunterjr said:

I can’t really think of any downsides to replacing sprint with auto-sprint.

basically just bump BMS up to sprint speed. Automatically transition to the sprint animation if you’re running forward w/o shooting. You shoot out of sprint instantly with no speed penalty. 

slide enabled based on forward velocity. Cancel slide, by pulling back. 

basically, you’re back to having a single move speed like CE-3 but you have speed sensation people associate with the sprint animation.

Also, players could toggle off the first player sprint animation, since it would really just be window dressing.

then we free up a button, and I can get grenade switching off of the DPad.

Yes. I've been asking for a similar thing for a while (as others have too obv).  If there's no delay when firing, seems like a no brainer. At least give me a setting 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Pyroteq said:

Health packs should only be able to be picked up if you're under 100% HP like pretty much every other arena FPS. We're not talking health vials here that can put you on 110HP, 115HP, etc.

We have Overshield.  Why no Overhealth?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

We have Overshield.  Why no Overhealth?  

Hey, I would be open to trying it, but with Halo's damage system, team focused tournaments it really wouldn't do much. You would survive 2 headshots instead of 1, but with team shooting being a big part of competitive play it would practically offer no protection at all.

I'd rather see an overshield and a super overshield instead on some maps. Have the super overshield provide 2X OS like Halo 1 and the other OS provide just 1X on a much shorter respawn time. If you had just 1X OS you could pick up the 2X OS to deny it to other players.

@Pyroteq  If health packs were health stations instead, networked healing terminals, would you be opposed to a mechanic that allowed players to deal damage from one health station to another?  

For example, you shoot an enemy a few times and think he’s going for a health station.  You go to another health station and melee it to short circuit them all, damaging any players near any health stations.  

I'm loving the energy in this thread tbh. There's a hefty amount of negativity as ever, but there is also a lot of genuine criticism and even some optimism popping up. But the energy is spicy. Seeing some long-dormant posters come back.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

The new OS is actually kind of trash. I feel like it outright needs another bar even with the ability to carry it around. People get melted with custom in H3 in 2s and that's 3 bars with invincibility on pick up. The new OS will get absolutely crushed by any teamshot whatsoever especially in 4v4. Maybe they want it spawning more frequently or something but as it is it definitely won't serve the role of a setup breaking advantage to push in with at the same level we're accustomed to seeing. You'll see it get wasted A LOT

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Pretty sure the infinite os has invincibility on activation too. Which btw, this whole system for power ups there created is still stupid and unnecessary.

• Fire (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

Pretty sure the infinite os has invincibility on activation too. Which btw, this whole system for power ups there created is still stupid and unnecessary.

I agree. Powerups should be in positions that are centered and hard to get to. If you win control over the powerup, it means you can push over the half way mark of the map with an additional power boost. Not grab it and fuck off to your side to save it as a treat.

Yes the new OS has the potential to be used defensively instead of offensively.

That's not to say that in Halo 1 and 2 it wasn't used defensively, but if you make it do 2x OS you could have it tick down faster so you're forced to push with it right away or it drains.

I think players will pick it up and just hide in a corner and activate it as soon as they're about to get into a firefight so they get the invincibility. It'll be used more for temporary invincibility rather than the extra shields which is not the right way to go about it.

I hope classic ones are available in forge.

I'll also add that it makes the grapple hook OP because players with control of the grapple hook will be able to contest power ups much easier and grab the OS without exposing themselves leading to snowballing.

In Halo 1 you had those rushes to the OS where you could be behind and regain map control by getting to it faster since it was instantly activated.

Without instant activation it makes teams without map control less likely to contest.

There is no possible way the new change works better in competitive play.

• Like (+1) 1

i thought of like an aids type equipment. like it could be cool maybe in a ce type game with less team shot

you like send a cable to another spartan and you guys are linked and share shield power. so if just one person is getting shot at, they have the shields of both users. but you would be dealing damage to 2 people so it wouldnt be like a free os. like a grenade on both of them would be super juicy one shot kill. but i mean in halo 3 and stuff i already feel everyone is docking each other 24/7. this would be like that but only from an equipment found on the ground  

16 minutes ago, boogerman said:

i thought of like an aids type equipment. 

I believe it already exists. It's called the sensor dart.

• Fire (+1) 1

I actually wasn't expecting you to be able to stick players with it. And combined with the new radar I think it'll be better than I initially expected. Not incredible, but kinda cool I guess. 

8 hours ago, hhhh said:

Funny enough, a big reason that I quit playing Halo 5 is because it made my hands hurt, what with the 17 buttons and all. I know everything here is viewed through the lens of The Great Halo Culture war, but I'll repeat myself and say that I don't really give a shit about Halo 5 in any way, and I don't think it "takes so much skill." It was just a convenient example to illustrate my point that your stance on strafe speed is flawed. Honestly though, I don't think many people here engaged with the game in a meaningful way, because there are certainly some positives to take away from the movement mechanics even if you dislike them overall. A lot of you should work on your mentality when approaching new games. You'll be happier, and play better too.

The sandbox is always going to suffer unless we completely give up on the entire idea of a "utility weapon." When one gun can do it all, everything else is either irrelevant or overpowered. What weapons have we had that actually filled a useful niche? The plasma pistol. The CE plasma rifle? The slowdown is cool, but a bit gimmicky, and I don't see 343 bringing it back. I imagine the 2 weapon limit makes the devs extra reluctant to further specialize guns into one area of competence as well. Melee damage hurts too, because things like a 4 shot perfect kill can become a 2 shot + beatdown.

A utility weapon is what allows us to have so many weapons on a map without steamrolling occuring. 

Asking for no utility weapon is like expecting a football team to stop using superstar strikers to promote more attention to other positions from fans. 

You've crippled your team from scoring, so now nobody gives a shit about your team because they can't win a fucking game. 

Likewise in Halo, you have made all the map picks look more appealing, but now youre matches steamroll out of control every game and nobody is having fun. Congrats, you killed Halo.

Thats what removing the utility weapons does to Halo. It looks like with Halo Infinite, 343 has thankfully ignored imbecellic reddit and waypoint tier ideas like "just have no utility weapon bro" and have instead made the AR and Sidekick on par with utility weapons for casual modes while the BR will be the utility weapon for comp, a compromise I think most of us could live with. At least when playing social AR starts you'll be able to challenge the power weapons consistently. 

12 hours ago, hvs500 said:

Can you give an example?

In its most basic iteration, someone has some map pick ups, someone has different map pick ups and they fight using them to see who wins. 

We can get more nuanced like Hammers deflecting rockets, grenades toppling hogs, gravity lifts launching vehicles etc.

You can't have these moments of using the tools you've collected to your advantage against other players tools if there aren't enough tools to pick up. 

I understand these are more in relation to Halo 3, as opposed to CE or 2 but this is the part that Halo 3 did better than CE or 2 that often gets ignored in favour of dumping on H3 for its big issues like spread. 

It's all well and good calling CE and 2 more competitive (and i agree) but the H3 sandbox is for many people, the most sandboxy of the Halo sandboxes and for good reason. It's largest problems are RNG spread, sluggish movement and some obnoxious equipment like Regen field and Power Drain. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

And nothing of value was lost.

EDIT: Let's actually analyze this for a moment. This graphic I made a few years back is relevant:

zU76Rz2.png

Briefly, "every weapon has an equal chance in every situation except the most extreme ranges" is just another way of saying "everything is fucking redundant". If that's the kind of experience you want then you do you, but that is almost objectively boring and devoid of strong strategy. It also flies completely in the face of the concept of the utility weapon, the foundation of every iteration of Halo has some semblance of thoughtful balance, but neither casuals nor the developers give a shit about that so, eh.

Let's print it on huge banner and hang it across the street of 343 building. That would sure make them uncomfortable and question what they do. Better than thousand words.

Aww shit I just remembered that we have yet to see the stalker rifle and shock rifle. Please for the love of god don't let them be precision weapons. There's no fucking reason we need 5 in one game.

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Aww shit I just remembered that we have yet to see the stalker rifle and shock rifle. Please for the love of god don't let them be precision weapons. There's no fucking reason we need 5 in one game.

I have a strong feeling there WILL be more precision rifles 

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

We've had at least 5 precision weapons in every 343 game, no reason to believe they'll stop now. We already have the Brute revolver, and it's only a matter of time before there's a Forerunner rifle too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hemlax said:

Let's print it on huge banner and hang it across the street of 343 building. That would sure make them uncomfortable and question what they do. Better than thousand words.

They would see this chart in the complete opposite way. This is the same company that sees "BR being stronger than the AR encourages people to not use the AR" as a negative. There is no convincing people with that way of thinking.

4 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Aww shit I just remembered that we have yet to see the stalker rifle and shock rifle.

I'm willing to bet that one of those guns is a reinterpretation of the Light Rifle. Most of the new sandbox weapons have actually just been altered weapons of the past.

9 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I don't think it does? I purposefully waited until I started getting shot to activate and died every time. Unless it starts after the shield is fully charged?  And the animation takes a long ass time.

I'm not opposed to it being an equipment item, but it needs to decay in your pocket and be worth going after. Burning power ups is boring. And if you've established enough control to get it uncontested, it behooves you to push immediately anyway.  Same is true if the other team gets it but you kill them before activation. And if it's placed in the correct spot, it's going to be contested no matter how its activated still forcing confrontations. If a team grabs it then retreats, they'll be on their back foot so what? I don't think this is going to cause the problems people are afraid of.

15 hours ago, xSociety said:

Clamber is so pointless man, it's ruining the maps in Infinite more than sprint at this point. 

I get the devs wanting to help out the bad kids who miss jumps, but designing maps/jumps with clamber in mind is just so stupid. 

I refuse to believe that they didn't play test Infinite without these mechanics and think "why are we even dealing with this? It doesn't change anything if we get rid of it.".

If another dev picked up Infinite where 343 left off, they would just omit those abilities because they don't have an attachment and history with them. 343 needs to swallow their pride and drop sprint and clamber. It's incredible how pointless they are yet we're going to see maps account for it regardless.

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Geaux Andrew said:

I refuse to believe that they didn't play test Infinite without these mechanics and think "why are we even dealing with this? It doesn't change anything if we get rid of it.".

If another dev picked up Infinite where 343 left off, they would just omit those abilities because they don't have an attachment and history with them. 343 needs to swallow their pride and drop sprint and clamber. It's incredible how pointless they are yet we're going to see maps account for it regardless.

Sprint and clamber are here just to tick some boxes the higher ups want in the game. 

• Like (+1) 2