CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

10 minutes ago, Kell Of Scots said:

It doesn't just refer to one player grabbing weapons. It's also about weapons being used against one another. 

Can you give an example?

• Upvote (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

It was more or less because I was criticising quake, the sacred cow of fps design. I think it's a brilliant game, don't get me wrong, but it is also a very flawed one. The two biggest flaws that come to mind are this and it's snowballing problem. That's alright. Even CE has flaws- it's lack of meaningful map control and long term strategy being the two most glaring. That's alright. It is EXCRUCIATINGLY hard to create a perfect game ( if perfect really exists). I've thought about this a lot. Even chess isn't beyond criticism- Boring starts and excessive memorisation. 

^I went on a tangent, but what I want to convey is that nothing is beyond criticism, and shouldn't be treated as such.

I think the only regularly played CE map that doesn't have a ton of map control is Chill Out. But I'd argue it still has long term strategy. Holding rockets as long as possible for successive timer cycles is crucial. 

Hang em hold top blue and have camo guy be annoying. Damnation hold top green and port. Prisoner hold top. Derelict hold top. Battle Creek hold the top of the bases. 

The difference is you can actually still move around and fight back with your utility. You don't need to turtle waiting for a slip up if they have sniper, you can still make plays. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, VinnyMendoza said:

I think the only regularly played CE map that doesn't have a ton of map control is Chill Out. But I'd argue it still has long term strategy. Holding rockets as long as possible for successive timer cycles is crucial. 

Hang em hold top blue and have camo guy be annoying. Damnation hold top green and port. Prisoner hold top. Derelict hold top. Battle Creek hold the top of the bases. 

The difference is you can actually still move around and fight back with your utility. You don't need to turtle waiting for a slip up if they have sniper, you can still make plays. 

You're absolutely right. My fault honestly, I should've said weapon control. I think it's really simplistic compared to quake. 

As for long term strategy- it has it, sure. But I'd argue that it's not very deep, and pales in comparison to it's short term strategy. Even the example you've mentioned, that's something really simplistic.

I think one big issue with fps design as a whole is the fact that everything you've done before the next cycle exists in a vacuum. It is utterly irrelevant to the current game state, except for the score (which isn't very interesting). So, instead of constant movement and growth as the game progresses, you're essentially doing the same thing till you reach 50 or whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why does 343 make Jeff sound so surprised with every medal

8 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Why does 343 make Jeff sound so surprised with every medal

I’m Jeff Steitzer?  Go fuck yourself, Richmond.  

My hot takes

+ Art style. Finally, 343 doesn't not only do a terrible job but it's generally a great job.

+ Maps design. Recharge was a legit good map. Live Fire is boring but not bad. Bazaar is a great CTF map, odd that they chose it for a Slayer mode but I guess they don't have many maps that are 100% done yet.

+ Gunplay. It feels great to shoot a weapon and land shots. 343 has always done a good job with this so I'm glad to see it's still true.

+ There is now a visual indication that a player is holding equipment. This has been a "smaller" request since Halo 3 so this is nice to see.

+ Sprint. They lowered its effectiveness so much that I don't see why they bothered keeping it in? I legit think its due to them not wanting to admit that maybe those "annoying" Halo vets were right since the beginning.

- Aiming. I didn't bother testing it out with wall shots and all that jazz to get to the science of it but it feels completely off. I messed with the settings but I became under the impression that some settings weren't sticking. Regardless, I shouldn't have to mess with sliders to make the aiming feel right. 343 needs to work on an aiming default or it's going to turn off a lot of people.

- AR effectiveness. This battle feels fruitless at this point. It was a large complaint for Halo 5 and 343 just made it worst. Why pick up a weapon when I can just stay in mid-close range and laser with an auto that will work 3/4 of the time since my opponent is likely to miss at least one shot with their precession weapon? But like I said, this battle seems pointless because 343 is essentially laughing at our face with these changes.

- Menu UI. They just can't get this right. Halo 4 felt sluggish. Halo 5 was nonsensical. MCC is butt ugly after the start screen. Infinite is just all around bad. It's routes are ridiculous and on top of that, it looks painfully generic. It was like I was playing a Counter-Strike mod.

- The practice zone where you can shoot weapons needs rethinking. Why do I have to go back to the menu to change weapons? There just needs to be a weapon box behind me and when I pick up, a timer starts in 5 seconds or something. It was too annoying to have fun with it.

As for the season pass and store, I don't give a shit. I'm an adult with a good income so if I see something kind of cool, I'll just get it. If someone wants to wear their Mountain-Dew branded chest piece, have at it. I just want to play some good Halo.

Overall, I'm positive about Infinite's life which is not something I said about Halo 4 and Halo 5 (even before release). Though we don't know the full story yet. We didn't learn about ADS until way late and that was because of a leak. We didn't learn that Halo 5 was going to ship without Forge, Infection, and plenty of other features not even two months before launch. MCC's launch goes without saying.

Right now, I'm positive. Though given 343's rep, we have every right to be cautious all the way to launch day.

No matter what, it's going to be free so that crowd will always keep the game alive with the help of daddy Microsoft's marketing power. I just want an FPS to play and chill with because right now, the FPS market is shit and has been for well over a decade (if you got tired of BR after two months like me).

• CoD is CoD and scientifically designed to piss me off.
  • DICE can't seem to understand that we're simple folk and all we fucking want from Battlefield is a large-scale battle feel so instead, they have to inject their shitty new ideas and gimmicks that brings the experience down.
  • Siege has lost its tone and its one season away from adding Tracer from Overwatch. You now spend the majority of the match destroying the plethora of gadgets instead of shooting each other.
  • Overwatch is follow the boring meta or have a guaranteed loss.

I don't play that many games these days but it's nice to have one to stick with. Infinite alone is legit going to decide if I even bother keeping my Xbox or not. I'm looking forward to more flights and info.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So how bad is this game now that some have played the demo?  Is it grappling hook level bad?

I kind of want a 'disable sprint' option in settings.

I just dont want to be tempted. I tried not using sprint but always found myself tapping the sprint button cause its there. Let me remove the funciton all together. Like assasinations, auto sprint, auto clamber. Should be treated the same. "since sprint is balanced now" it shouldn't matter if I remove that mechanic from my arsenal, no?

I am curious what are your plans to buy Halo Infinite.  I was originally going to buy it via steam even though I have game pass ultimate because I hate the windows store.  But I am rethinking just installing the multiplayer through Steam for free and downloading the Campaign via Windows store for free.   Is that even possible?  I wonder if the multiplayer is going to be its own Steam game...  

Does anyone know how it will work?

1 hour ago, WARGOD said:

So how bad is this game now that some have played the demo?  Is it grappling hook level bad?

I would say that really depends on your expectations, were you expecting the return of classic Halo? Well then Infinite probably plays like dogshit to you.

Were you expecting the bare minimum e.g. a game that is fun to play? Well then you got possibly the best Halo 343 has yet to develop. Yes it has its problems, but it meets my minimum requirements so I'm happy.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I am curious what are your plans to buy Halo Infinite.  I was originally going to buy it via steam even though I have game pass ultimate because I hate the windows store.  But I am rethinking just installing the multiplayer through Steam for free and downloading the Campaign via Windows store for free.   Is that even possible?  I wonder if the multiplayer is going to be its own Steam game...  

Does anyone know how it will work?

Just use the Xbox App, super simple and easy and you can join Xbox parties for voice chat.

4 minutes ago, znot said:

I kind of want a 'disable sprint' option in settings.

I just dont want to be tempted. I tried not using sprint but always found myself tapping the sprint button cause its there. Let me remove the funciton all together. Like assasinations, auto sprint, auto clamber. Should be treated the same. "since sprint is balanced now" it shouldn't matter if I remove that mechanic from my arsenal, no?

Well you could just unbind Sprint but I think you'd want to keep it for the slide jumps and shit. Just force yourself to walk everywhere unless you need to slide. Never showing up on radar is huge. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm curious to those who played Infinite on PC, does it feel like a PC shooter? I played Halo 2 Vista and MCC on PC and I can't help but feel like Halo doesn't play right with a M+K. I played MCC for a little bit on PC and I only wanted to stick with silly customs because traditional matches didn't feel right to me. It just made me want to play CS or something else.

2 minutes ago, Geaux Andrew said:

I'm curious to those who played Infinite on PC, does it feel like a PC shooter? I played Halo 2 Vista and MCC on PC and I can't help but feel like Halo doesn't play right with a M+K. I played MCC for a little bit on PC and I only wanted to stick with silly customs because traditional matches didn't feel right to me. It just made me want to play CS or something else.

It did not feel like a PC shooter at first but it seemed to get a little bit better at the end of the weekend.  The aiming still does not feel right but I think it is largely tied to the performance issues.  It does not feel good like Destiny or Overwatch or Counter-Strike or Warzone

I actually don't think Bazaar is a very good map for anything but koth or strongholds maybe. Every single room has some weird hidey hole. It would be like if every room had the rocket spawn in green to try and pick up a back smack or maybe even more than one of those. I feel like they got lost in trying to make it feel like a town and forgot we were going to play an FPS on it

Also I actually found myself missing the hold to clamber option from H5. I don't really feel like getting your clamber takes skill in either case but I felt like I was just sort of "trying" too hard to press my jump button repeatedly to make sure I got the clamber and I just didn't like the attention I felt compelled to give it. Auto clamber is obviously a horrible option and not really an alternative 

• Upvote (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Also I actually found myself missing the hold to clamber option from H5. I don't really feel like getting your clamber takes skill in either case but I felt like I was just sort of "trying" too hard to press my jump button repeatedly to make sure I got the clamber and I just didn't like the attention I felt compelled to give it. Auto clamber is obviously a horrible option and not really an alternative 

Clamber is so pointless man, it's ruining the maps in Infinite more than sprint at this point. 

I get the devs wanting to help out the bad kids who miss jumps, but designing maps/jumps with clamber in mind is just so stupid. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3

How can a multiplayer map tastefully evolve over the course of a match?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

No.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 1

3 hours ago, VinnyMendoza said:

You forgot the Needler on this diagram 

It's overlapping perfectly with the Pistol, so you just can't see it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

No.

Would the map’s evolution be completely scripted or would some act trigger it?  

15 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Isolation becomes more flood infested the longer the match goes on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TeeJaY said:

Isolation becomes more flood infested the longer the match goes on.

Oh, I like this one.  So, we’re talking strictly visual changes?  

Just now, Boyo said:

Oh, I like this one.  So, we’re talking strictly visual changes?  

Yeah it's actually a thing, just hard to notice since matches never last that long.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Boyo said:

By introducing elements that permanently alter the gamestate. How? I don't know. But if some shooter actually manages to pull that off, I'm going to be clapping with my feet.

If you're thinking strictly visually, floorbreaks from tekken are really sweat, even though they suck gameplay wise.

81 Damage Floor Break GIF by holmsey | Gfycat

• Upvote (+1) 1

An amorphous sand map could transform over the course of the match.  Dunes could be blown away over time, revealing hidden structures/items.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1