CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

If someone can give me a good enough argument as to why recoil should have been added to Quake I'll concede recoil in Halo. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, xSociety said:

If someone can give me a good enough argument as to why recoil should have been added to Quake I'll concede recoil in Halo. 

I don't even see how these are connected though? Halo is slow motion squad shooter that vaguely resembled Quake literally twenty years ago and isn't related whatsoever from 2004 until now 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

This romanticism of recoil is amusing. The second recoil becomes "predictable", ie "skillful", it literally becomes a non factor for average players and might as well not even exist in a high skill setting. The only way to guarantee a weapons recoil is always a factor in every gunfight and skill levels, is to make it random, ie not skillful. So do you want nonfunctional recoil, or unskillful recoil?

TF! Recoil shouldn’t be random it’s meant as a balancing tool. And it helps separate skilled players, and I like that. 

4 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

All you have to do is make it kick hard enough to force players to adjust their aim to it and as long as its not random its skillful and predictable

... and also a nonfactor in high level play. "Kicking harder" translates to "pulling down harder", which isn't difficult to do at all, and will never showcase a discernable shooting skillgap between players. It's functionally non existent.

4 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Fuck off with this quake bs, quake isn’t halo and they’re not similar at all 

• Downvote (-1) 3

3 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I don't even see how these are connected though? Halo is slow motion squad shooter that vaguely resembled Quake literally twenty years ago and isn't related whatsoever from 2004 until now 

Halo is basically the arena shooter built for console. At least it was before they added sprint, bloom, and recoil. 

My question still stands and I don't think it's an unfair question at all.

What is the problem recoil is trying to solve, and why is it the best fix for that problem?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Reamis25 said:

Fuck off with this quake bs, quake isn’t halo and they’re not similar at all anymore

fixed

1 hour ago, Darkomantis said:

I have a question. From playing Apex, I was intrigued with the balance of headshot multipliers, having a damage differentiation of bodyshots vs headshots on all weapons. Wouldn't Halo benefit from headshot multipliers on weapons or is that a wrong way to go about it? I was thinking it might balance Auto Rifles in a way that they're effective up close since skilled players would be rewarded with a fast ttk by focusing on the head up close but ARs lose effectiveness over range since you're less likely to hit headshots from afar. 

Different weapons should promote different playstyles.  Limiting headshot capabilities to the semi-automatic precision weapons differentiates their playstyle from automatic weapons (and only rewards deliberate, aimed headshots rather than spray and pray luck).  

In addition, killtimes become difficult to balance when two potential extremes exist ie 10 headshots vs 10 bodyshots.  

Finally, the movement in Halo should be crisp, quick, and unpredictable.  The advantage of automatic weapons is that they don’t need a headshot to achieve their minimum killtime (decreasing the effectiveness of the target’s evasive maneuvers).  

1 hour ago, Campbell said:

I don't love all of the ideas you have come up with in here, but I think I agree with this one. Someone earlier was complaining about how including a useless version of sprint means you have one less button to map. Something like a toggle for alternate fire on what is currently the sprint button is an evolution that I view as respectful to the "guns-grenades-melee" trinity. It doesn't need to be some overly complex control scheme or complicated to activate. But I think this fits within the context of the Halo formula and could be really interesting if the guns had balanced design. It seems it would add something to each engagement without being utter bullshit. 

Halo already has enough weapon control buttons to support alt-fire.  Scope is mapped to LT.  Scopeless weapons use LT to alt-fire instead.  Scoping is one way of increasing a weapon’s effectiveness, alt-firing is another.  

For example, the Mauler fires a volley of short range pellets with RT.  LT fires a rapidly dropping minor explosive.  X reloads.  

On a battery operated weapon like the Beam Rifle, X toggles from primary fire (1sk projectile) to secondary fire (creates an explosive lightning bolt that strikes from the sky down to the ground).  

In conclusion, scopeless weapons use LT to instantly alt-fire.  Battery operated weapons use X to toggle RT between primary fire and secondary fire.  

5 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Halo is basically the arena shooter built for console. At least it was before they added sprint, bloom, and recoil. 

What is the problem recoil is trying to solve, and why is it the best fix for that problem?

Basically in video game form recoil is solving the problem of it simply being too easy to shoot slower moving players when you're not playing a game like Quake. It might also be there for realism depending on the genre. Obviously 343 already solved that problem by just making the game have absolutely shit tier aiming mechanics so I'm not sure they need recoil. :) lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, xSociety said:

CoD has recoil. Checkmate idiot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 2
  • Hooked 2

8 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Basically in video game form recoil is solving the problem of it simply being too easy to shoot slower moving players when you're not playing a game like Quake. It might also be there for realism depending on the genre. Obviously 343 already solved that problem by just making the game have absolutely shit tier aiming mechanics so I'm not sure they need recoil. :) lol

Recoil is for immersion ONLY. It would look strange to have a SAW not shake. It would look strange to have a SAW not recoil up to the sky if you hold down the trigger.

Recoil is to make you feel like you are in a first person shooter actually shooting a gun.

Recoil is then limited or constrained to make it feel reasonable while limiting the damage to gun play overall.

It has NOTHING to do with solving any problem in FPS.

This isn't 2002 any more.

4 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

Recoil is for immersion ONLY. It would look strange to have a SAW not shake. It would look strange to have a SAW not recoil up to the sky if you hold down the trigger.

Recoil is to make you feel like you are in a first person shooter actually shooting a gun.

Recoil is then limited or constrained to make it feel reasonable while limiting the damage to gun play overall.

It has NOTHING to do with solving any problem in FPS.

This isn't 2002 any more.

Doomguy is way better at shooting and stronger than Master Chief confirmed then. 

Immersion ruined. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, xSociety said:

fixed

Oh whatever that means nothing

20 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Long range precision dominance. Even with projectile they won’t be purposely made slow enough. Like they’d have to be slow enough where you can see the bullets. Make it harder to aim. Ever play Pubg? Imagine that game with no recoil? Pfft. Lol that games recoil is extremely high too. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 minute ago, xSociety said:

Doomguy is way better at shooting and stronger than Master Chief confirmed then. 

Immersion ruined. 

I mean he fights demons, so that may actually be true 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Immersion ruined. 

If it were not for the purpose of immersion, it wouldn't exist in Halo at all. All precision H5 weapons that I looked at had recoil that had absolutely no impact on the aim, since they recoiled and returned before the next trigger could be pulled. They existed strictly for immersion.

Autos would look very strange in comparison if they did not recoil upwards as you held your trigger when compared to the precisions.

There are other ways to solve the problem of slow moving targets. Recoil was not the solution for this. (I think you would agree bloom was a solution for this problem, yes?)

On the other hand, Doomguy would not be able to hit his target if recoil was present. I would argue it was removed/kept out to solve that problem.

Very disappointed with these three maps they've showcased. I certainly hope those weren't their best.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NAK said:

The aiming in the game? Basketball isn't fun because you "master how to dribble" it is the basic requirement for play. Why would you make that basic task of the game harder than it needs to be? 

Bad take. People derive their fun from improving, whatever it may be at. Basketball may be fun for reasons other than dribbling, but that isn't the case for automatically giving everybody playing the ability to dribble expertly. Likewise for aiming.

"Harder than it needs to be"??? What's even the baseline here? H2A aim assist? 

Pros not being able to perfectly 4 people is a good thing because it means there's still a skillgap at tournament tier play. Casuals not being able to perfectly 4 people is a good thing because it means there's room for improvement. 

Even otherwise, the aim assist is strong enough. Your average pro's able to 4 or 5 shot strafing opponents with the BR at mid range, at least 80-90% of the time. Close range, it's like 50% of the time. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

This romanticism of recoil is amusing. The second recoil becomes "predictable", ie "skillful", it literally becomes a non factor for average players and might as well not even exist in a high skill setting. The only way to guarantee a weapons recoil is always a factor in every gunfight and skill levels, is to make it random, ie not skillful. So do you want nonfunctional recoil, or unskillful recoil?

CSGO? Albeit half of that is spread but that's also mostly a pattern.

8 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Very disappointed with these three maps they've showcased. I certainly hope those weren't their best.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

7 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Bazaar reminds me of CSGO dust map.

Did you take a moment to appreciate the water fall sky box on Recharge? I'm not surprised that 343 would want to showcase their new engine's abilities like that.

6 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Master Chief is considered a Demon by the Covenant.

With a modest amount of respect at that.

Maps are okay. Pretty run of the mill, nothing experimental with them so pretty run of the mill maps. Not great, not bad, just okay. Better than a lot of the maps in The past couple Halo games at least

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Basically in video game form recoil is solving the problem of it simply being too easy to shoot slower moving players when you're not playing a game like Quake.

This argument would make complete sense if 343 didn't:

• Make all the weapons hitscan
  • Put in MASSIVE amounts of autoaim
  • Put autoaim in the game for fucking mouse users

"Hey, lets increase the autoaim by 200% and make all weapons hitscan. WTF now the game is too easy, what could we possible do? I know! Lets add recoil to an arena FPS and then tell everyone we're bringing back the classic Halo feel they all enjoy."

Wat.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

Does anyone play CE, H2, or H3 and think recoil would have been a good addition? 

It all comes down to them not making guns proper projectile/require lead.

• Like (+1) 3