CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

21 minutes ago, SoldatDuChrist said:

yes that was their idea of innovation, and they scaled back those features dramatically, they are vestigial organs that in the grander scheme of things literally dont matter, continuing to cling onto these irrelevant details makes you look like a tribalistic clown

The implementation of these things is what helped plunder this franchise into further mediocrity and irrelevancy, which is something it’ll never recover from. This company has spent so much time and energy trying to balance and rework a mechanic such as sprint, something that has been thoroughly demonstrated to negatively impact almost every aspect of gameplay and map design, only to finally nerf it to the point of near uselessness, and yet all that energy could have been saved by simply scrapping it. So why is it still here? To have slide? Another mechanic Halo never needed and only serves to make Halo another generic modern FPS game. We’re literally at the point where something like fucking clamber is a mainstay mechanic in Halo. Did anyone at any point in time ever seriously think Halo needed a vaulting animation for jumping over ledges? Was the old jumping mechanics not superior in every single way? I mean seriously, when I was 12 years old my buddies and I would joke about how ridiculous it would be if Halo ever added stuff like vaulting or ADS, but here we are. 

There’s a reason Halo is totally dead and irrelevant now, and every major change made since Reach is the culprit. There’s nothing at all original anymore, and nothing at all that distinguishes Halo from every other generic military FPS out right now, other than it’s aesthetics. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 2

Sprint is pretty vestigial outside of sliding so I can't make as much of a fuss about it as I did with H5 sprint. If the 120% speed boost from H5 sprint is accurate, then this version has barely half the velocity increase that the H5 version did. Considering the nerfs to it and the lack of base thrust, I don't think it'll be as overcentralizing as it was in H5. 

Gonna be frank, I really couldn't give a fuck inherently about "moving faster" and definitely don't consider it intrinsically skillful. The only reason I'd bump up movement speed in my idealized Halo game is to make strafing much harder to track. Outside of that, it does have significant ramifications with respect to spawning, map dimensions, and overall sandbox design. 

That's not the problem at this point. The problem is that the auto:precision balance is even worse than it was in H5, and that aiming sucks. The only precision weapon capable of shooting straight has a 1.5 second TTK and a gross amount of magnetism for the circumstances of it's release. 

Check out any pro playing with the BR. They literally never take more than 5 bursts to kill. Not to mention that they've decided to lump KBM with Controllers for whatever godforsaken reason. 

49 minutes ago, SoldatDuChrist said:

yes that was their idea of innovation, and they scaled back those features dramatically, they are vestigial organs that in the grander scheme of things literally dont matter, continuing to cling onto these irrelevant details makes you look like a tribalistic clown

Why would something that’s been intelligently designed have vestigial organs?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Shekkles said:

The placebo sprint is what I have been asking for and I am so happy they've done it. I really hope it stays how it is. You are only punished for sprinting. You appear on radar, your footsteps are louder and your screen shakes. The only benefit is 2% increase in speed. I love this as the people that want sprint... well you got it. The rest of us get to play properly.

Slide is also the other benefit. I can see sprint and slide being used for team pushes in certain scenarios. But for one player, it's more of a risk reward type of deal which I don't mind. And honestly the risk seems to outweigh the reward. Plus, as I said since the first gameplay reveal, the number one issue with it is fixed. And all the secondary issues that people complained about like map design being affected aren't really a thing either.

Honestly, I don't know if I can handle another 10 years of people arguing about sprint when it's not really much of a factor anymore. Hell, the only reason it's in the game is because of one guy on the development team who's not even there anymore. It's pretty clear the team's heart wasn't really into sprint which is why the game plays well if you don't use it.

This is without a doubt the best case scenario other than sprint not being in the game at all. I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Like (+1) 2

With run and sprint being similar, it’s so much easier to back smack sprinters with active camo. Never thought about it but much more satisfying with camo.

• Like (+1) 1

In addition to bloom, there is substantial spread on an unscoped sniper rifle. This one is a big question mark.

• WutFace (+0) 11

5 hours ago, Shekkles said:

So bloom is when the reticle grows, giving a visual indicator of how much innacurate your gun has become and spread is the same thing but we're pretending it's different?

Bloom is a mechanic to simulate recoil without the visual effects of recoil on the screen.

Spread is a function of physics on the gun's accuracy and recoil plays a significant part in this as a visual aid in explaining why the spread exists at all.

4 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

Bloom is a mechanic to simulate recoil without the visual effects of recoil on the screen.

Spread is a function of physics on the gun's accuracy and recoil plays a significant part in this as a visual aid in explaining why the spread exists at all.

Bloom is just a variable size spread cone.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pyroteq said:

Splitgate has more viewers on Twitch than Halo Infinite

The fact that Splitgate has been having major server issues the past few days makes this even funnier. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

The fact that Splitgate has been having major server issues the past few days makes this even funnier. 

I mean to be fair it’s players vs bots no one wants to watch that

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Bloom is just a variable size spread cone.  

...orthogonal to what I said...

you just explained how it works. I explained why it exists.

Halo infinite needs a modern aiming option. They clearly copied the h5 aim module for those used to h5, now give us a mcc modern aim option 

Yeah I think I'm done with this flighting since the aiming reminds me of H5.

8 hours ago, SoldatDuChrist said:

You're grasping at straws at this point if you insist on fussing about sprint, get the fuck over it

I'm not fussing I'm telling you you're wrong. You get it over it.

2 hours ago, Pyroteq said:

Are you using the hair triggers with the Elite Control? Could be that. I had issues in certain Halo games where you couldn't charge the PP unless you turned off the hair trigger mode.

Just FYI for everyone, I heard a bit about Splitgate and figured I'd check it out. Wow. Can we just get these guys to make the next Halo because I'm pretty sure they have more passion for Halo than 343 does. It's pretty obvious Halo was a MAJOR influence on the game. Half the guns share mechanics with the Halo CE weapons. Eg. The sniper has 4 shots and a long reload, the shotgun is pump action and you can interrupt the reload animation to shoot again after loading a single shell, the rocket launcher has 2 rockets before reloading, etc, etc.

Hell, the first match I played I even had a weapon that could kill with 3 shots. Even the game modes are the same from Slayer and Oddball all the way to Shotty Snipers and Fiesta. No random boxes and crap on the map cluttering up everything with annoying crap all over the walls to get caught on.

To make it even more funny compare the games on Twitch.

They're both in beta right now. Halo has a fucking crazy amount of hype and money behind it...

S6ZtAuM.jpg

Yet Splitgate has more viewers on Twitch than Halo Infinite

Splitgate #57 - 6.4K viewers

Halo Infinite - #76 - 4.1K viewers

Yes, it's bots, but still, Halo Infinite is getting smashed in views by a Halo wannabe from a studio no one has even heard of.

BTW I highly encourage checking it out. It's pretty fun and the portal feature is something I've never seen in an FPS before. I don't know if it'll ever have a large eSports following, but it sure is fun and satisfying.

The game play is solid - the aiming, the movement, hit reg, HUD visuals, all of it.

They proved ANYONE can make a Halo experience. All they need is to want to.

This proves what to me has always been obvious - 343 simply doesn't want to create a Halo experience.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NavG123 said:

In addition to bloom, there is substantial spread on an unscoped sniper rifle. This one is a big question mark.

It's probably there to balance out mouse and keyboard autists noscoping. Meh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, NavG123 said:

Just putting my tinfoil hat on ... don't all those bullets seem to be going in the same place but that place isn't in the center of the crosshair. Feel like I'm going mad that way but could you shoot from a distance a wall and view the spread that way?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, careh said:

Just putting my tinfoil hat on ... don't all those bullets seem to be going in the same place but that place isn't in the center of the crosshair. Feel like I'm going mad that way but could you shoot from a distance a wall and view the spread that way?

Towards the end there were a series of 3 bodyshots in which one missed, and the next two hit. It seems that no, they aren't going in the same place.

Now if 343 bought out 1047 Games and skinned Splitgate as Halo and called it Halo Portal, I think its popularity would soar and the population could easily wind up stronger than Infinite.

But I doubt there is any business reason they would find to go down that path.

10 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

How do you guys feel about the new map?

Needs an area control objective. Strongholds would probably be great, or KotH. As it is it's too easy to sit up on the corner catwalks with a rifle and just lay down damage across the map. Very easy to break line of sight too with all of the corners and doorways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1